Dexters of Thornton Park
808 East Washington St.
Orlando, FL 32801Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Dexters of Thornton Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dexwine.com/
- Phone: 4076482777
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Whitener
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Weddings, rehearsal dinners, baby and bridal showers, corporate events. lunch deliveries. Call 407-648-2777 for details
A word from Dexters of Thornton Park
Dexter's has been in business since 1984. A local and established casual hangout that takes food and wine very seriously. Enjoy over 30 wines by the glass or bottle, full bar, excellent service, and award winning Sunday brunch (peoples choice). Enjoy a simple build your own sandwich or a carefully prepared entree, everything is made fresh when you order it. Choose from the main menu or one of the cafe menu inserts that takes advantage of ingredients that are in season. These inserts and winelists change every other month, so there is always something new and different to enjoy ! The cuisine fuses many different culinary styles, there is something for everyone. The sidewalk cafe is popular as it is located on an old cobblestone street in an eclectic neighborhood. Wine List pricing is very fair and makes for a nicer bottle to enjoy. Check insert menus for organics and local farm raised fruit, vegetables and meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Dexters of Thornton Park - Best Restaurants in Downtown Orlando ›
Dexters of Thornton Park reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (14)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)Show More
- good neighborhood restaurantjodyDined on 8/22/2014the food was great. I had the watermelon salad with sesame yellowfin tuna. The portion was just right. It was quiet when I got there at 5:30pm but picked up around 7. They offer specials everyday of the week. Tuesdays are $1 burger night.Special Features:
- Not what I expected but greatdrinkinandthinkinDined on 7/31/2014After having viewed Dexter's menu numerous times online and receiving recommendations from others, I decided to take my fiance for the two year anniversary of our engagement. The decor and ambiance was not what I expected and not aligned with the quality of the menu and thus we were over dressed. It was by no means unappealing, I just expected something less casual. The server took an inordinate amount of time to initially greet us but after that was very attentive and provided great service even receiving a special request for my meal with grace. As an appetizer we had brie and duck empanadas they were fantastic and served with a smokey cold tomato chutney. Our entree's were great too. Only negative, need to update cocktail menu.Special Features:
- lacomidaVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food and great prices in a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- First impression not great!Chaz190Dined on 7/12/2014Hostess was rude, unfriendly and unaccommodating. This unfortunately set the mood. Thankfully the server made up for it.
- Wonderful!RGrillDined on 7/11/2014Excellent food and excellent service. First visit, will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceRickoDined on 6/18/2014This place was excellent only downfall was we had a large lunch party and couldn't carry on a conversation. But hey the place is busy right. Excellent Staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Fathers Day Brunch!LilLilDined on 6/15/2014We had a big party of 9 and had great service and food. Thank you!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantWCD745Dined on 6/13/2014The crab cakes were not that great but other's who ordered the Special and 2 of the salads expressed satisfaction with the taste of their food. The location and ambience were good. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fails to award pointsOrlandoDinerVIPDined on 5/31/2014This is the 3rd consecutive time Dexters has failed to award Open Table points after checking us in. Something is wrong with their system. We've brought it to their attention in the past, but they don't seem to fix it. As for this recent visit, the appetizer and entrees all came out at once, then they returned with them and they weren't hot...probably stuck them under a heat lamp. The server handled it well. When the food is hot, it's good, and the menu is good.Special Features:
- worked for our group of 9raider708Dined on 5/30/2014I was a little surprised how well Dexters worked well for our group of nine at a back table since the place overall isn't large: it was why we used Open Table to reserve a spot. But we were seated right away and enjoyed the setting. Our service was a little more brusk and a little less friendly than we might have liked, but it was relatively efficient and worked out fine. Dexters menu has a great mix of upscale and casual stuff: my Pork Osso Bucco was tender and fell of the bone with a touch and matched perfectly the smoked gouda polenta. But the bar nachos were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit, But Not the LastbeerloverDined on 5/16/2014Hit up Dexters on the way to the Cher concert at the Amway. For a neighborhood bar, Dexters ramps up expectations. We were well attended by our waitress and waitress-in-training. And the food was exceptional. We were even able to find a parking spot nearby - and on a Friday night! Our only complaint was that the beer was not as cold as we like it. But that will not stop us from returning next time we are on our way to the Amway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTWKWDined on 5/15/2014We had brunch there in the past with a large group and thought then we would come back some time for dinner. This was a dinner visit. The wine list and choice of beer is excellent. The service was quick. The server was friendly and knowledgeable. The food was excellent and the portions just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the Dexters of Thornton Park reviews archive.
- great food but noisymunchiesDined on 4/27/2014Dexters is a good place to go after a matinee with a group of friends that speak loud and like that kind of atmosphere. Food is great especially the home made dressings, but would not suggest taking someone there for a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Always FantasticLManeraDined on 4/5/2014Come in from out of town two to three times a year. This is one of my favorite places for brunch - first for the chicken and waffles and second for the location. Wonderful area to walk after the meal and take in some of the sights of the Lake and vendors. Service is great. Staff are professional and attentive. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as alwaysJenniDined on 3/30/2014We always have great service and great food at Dexters!Special Features:
- Reservation but not Reserved!BehindineDined on 3/1/2014I have been coming to Dexter's for years. I made this reservation for a Saturday on Tuesday evening. We had a large group for brunch at noon. When we arrived there was no table ready. 12:15, still no table. We finally had to point one out to the hostess that would fit us. The food was good and waitress great. I am just not sure why I made a reservation if they has nothing ready and no intent to reserve the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent310LakesideVIPDined on 2/27/2014I always try to eat lunch here when in Downtown Orlando. Service can be a little slow at times but its always very friendly and the foodis great. I will continue to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine dinnerMay13Dined on 2/14/2014Our Valentine started at this restaurant large Terrance but NO heater for the outside :( no one was in the terrace ... As we enter the restaurant the hostesses did get our table quietly and left ( no friendly words) then our waitress was just doing her job without giving more attention just the necessary to get by ... The food was good it will have been very nice to have special napkins or candle anything to make us feel a little in the StValentin mood :( that was very desapointing no effort and no capuccino machine :( oh well!! But overhaul this will be a great neighborhood hangout . Will go back on a regular day No special occasion !Special Features:
- Great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Had the signature dish of Maui on grits...FANTASTIC! Look forward to second visit soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes were tasty butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Crab cakes were tasty but served barely warm, almost cool in the middle. I would have sent them back to be heated but we had to leave for the airport and I was afraid it would take too much time. Others at my table enjoyed their entrée salads.Special Features:
- Always great310LakesideVIPDined on 1/30/2014I visit downtown Orlando often and eat lunch here every chance I get.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedLovetoeatVIPDined on 1/29/2014I've been in Orlando for quite some time and I can't believe I have never been to Dexters! My friend and I booked a table on a Wednesday night which proceeded our trip to the Bob Carr. We informed the server (using Open Table) of our need to be out at a certain time, and she was very accommodating. We enjoyed our meal. I was impressed by the variety of dishes on the menu, many of which I had not seen at any other Orlando restaurant, and chose the swordfish with pepper jack cheese grits. My friend, who grew up in New Orleans, said they were the best grits she had ever had. Her lasagna was delicious also. I look forward to returning and exploring the menu some more!Special Features:
- AmazingDouglasDined on 1/25/2014Dexter's always gets it right! Everything on the menu is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My only complaint is thatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014My only complaint is that some of the food items may not be up to par. My boyfriend had a garlic pasta that was delicious, but I on the other hand, had a Mahi Mahi sandwich that tasted like it came straight from the ocean. Mahi is generally a mild fish, so I was really surprised at the extreme flavor, almost as though the chef lost control of his shaking ability with the Old Bay seasoning. I got about half-way through the sandwich until I couldn't stomach it any more. Everyone in my group seemed pleased with their meal though, so I'm willing to try some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Good Except...ChampagneBobDined on 1/3/2014Great experience, but too much noise, which was distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchBettyboop4Dined on 12/21/2013Dexter's has a wonderful brunch menu. The food items are creative-oved the Mahi Mahi with grits and Tabasco fried egg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ignored my requestCharDined on 12/20/2013I brought my friend for her 28th birthday. I requested that they sing happy birthday to her through OpenTable and it never happened. The food was good and the waitress was nice but I was hoping for a booth and they sat us at a high top. It felt like a regular night out and not the special dinner for my friend that I had envisioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperiencedougDined on 11/10/2013Jaryd was our server. He was prompt and helpful. The restaurant was out of the Baked Brie appetizer and he was able to recommend a worthy alternative. Knowing that we were on a time crunch for a play, Jaryd balanced the pace of service to meet our time needs. The food presentation was nice and tasted just as good. We have been to the Winter Park location many times but this was our first trip to this location. Next time we are in the area we will definitely make a return trip. Thank you As a side note, we used the Open Table app to make our reservations which was quick and easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect portions + great parkingeatouttoooftenDined on 11/2/2013Nice little bar bistro with a great specials menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionShannonDined on 10/19/2013Dexter's provided such a fun and accommodating environment to celebrate my birthday with friends. I loved the art on the walls, the food was great and the service was wonderful. They accommodated me really well in spite of my reservation continuously growing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groups? NoGroupieDined on 9/28/2013Made a reservation for a large party (we had outgrown our accommodations at another restaurant) so we were so very pleased when we found out that Dexters could accommodate our large group. Turns out, not so much....it was VERY obvious to us that our large party was not really set up in accommodations that fit us. Our party of ten was set at a large 8 top round table (which we were offered at numerous other venues in town) and then a tiny 2 top was pushed up next to it. Like a kids table at Thanksgiving it was embarrassing and awkward to decide which two people would be annexed from the group. Just wish we would have known that when I made the reservation. That is the EXACT scenario I turned down at 3 other restaurants in town :(Special Features:
- Meh. I've never understood Dexter'sWarpedMindDined on 9/27/2013The place is always packed, which you would think is a good sign, but the more I eat at places like this, the more I learn that there just simply alot of people with low standards for food who are easily impressed. I'm not a snobby foodie, but this place consistently disappoints for dinner. I must say that their breakfast is really good... I don't know what happens between then and dinner. Dexter's is overpriced and the food is just "ok". Just ok. The burger - ok. The duck sandwich - ok. The various pasta dishes - ok. I'd be ok with this place if the prices weren't so high. The prices would be fine if the food was better... but it's not. (The chips are good though.) Come for breakfast. Don't stay for dinner.Special Features:
- Great Happy Hour!BruceVIPDined on 9/25/2013Consistently great service, excellent happy hour specials, and inventive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for fourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2013Dexter's has a bright atmosphere. There is a energetic vibe but, we were able to tune out the others as we lost ourselves in our table for four. We enjoyed a lovely sauvignon blanc (can't remember the name!). We started with chicken and goat cheese empenadas as well as artichoke dip. My salmon entree was cooked to perfection. Always a favorite spot to meet up with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunch spotbb123Dined on 7/26/2013Came here for lunch with a friend and loved it. Good selection with a lot of house-made specialties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMPG1VIPDined on 6/24/2013I was expecting more given the 4 star average. I was taken back by how casual, almost diner-esque the space was. This didn't become a big deal until my waiter experience. Nice, friendly young man who I had trouble communicating with. On the menu online via Open Table, this place served a great looking dish of fish tacos of three different species. When I didn;t see it it on the live menu, I asked and the waiter told me 'oh yes, we just started serving those again.' What came out were a bunch of shrimp tacos. I questioned this and the waiter kind of looked at me all puzzled and said, "do you want to just try them first?" No --- I asked for fish. Shrimp is not fish.... Suddenly the causal atmosphere began to bother me....
- always great times at dexter'sbambambamDined on 6/24/2013great food, breakfast/brunch is top notch...notably the dexter's benedict with honey mustard hollandaise. dinner cant wrong either, great entrees apps and wine list. not over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemFellsFoodieDined on 6/19/2013Great food in great location. The service was so-so but the food was quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for a birthday lunchkapsi711Dined on 6/3/2013We went for a birthday lunch for my wife. This was our first time here, I had the blackened chicken and shrimp salad and my wife had the salmon salad. The portions were great and the prices were reasonable. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special occasionsusanDined on 6/1/2013My son graduated from Olympia High School and the ceremony was held at the UCF Arena. We were looking for a place that would be energetic, moderately priced and fun to have lunch after the ceremony. My oldest daughter had eaten at Dexter's once before and suggested that we make a reservation. It was the perfect place for us to come. We had a reservation for 8 and then had to up it to 11. It was no problem for the change. Our waiter was very patient with us and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal. My family will definitely come back as well as recommend Dexter's to our friends. The food was delicious and quite filling! I'm not sure that I could claim a favorite dish. It was all good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.