1505 J street
Modesto, CA 95354Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dothedewz.com/
- Phone: (209) 549-1101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Alvarado
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties up to 20 people with a generous set menu.
A word from Dewz
Judy Aspesi and her son Scott established Dewz Restaurant in 1997. Judy, Scott and their staff strive to continuously provide Dewz customers with great food and excellent service. Scott named Dewz in honor of his only brother Dewayne who passed away in 1996 at the very young age of 26 after an arduous battle with leukemia. Along with Executive Chef Vincent, Judy and Scott are 'hands on' owners who energetically oversee the restaurant's everyday operations. Vincent purchases only the finest fresh ingredients for our patrons' dishes and is committed to the meticulous preparation of each plate to asure that you, our guests, enjoy the finest of dining experiences. Come and experience why we have been voted by readers of the Modesto Bee regional newspaper as their favorite fine dining restaurant for 2008, 2009, and 2010, plus several Awards of Excellence from the Wine Spectator magazine for having one of the most outstanding restaurant wine lists in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dewz reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)romantic (46)notable wine list (36)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (16)hot spot (15)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/21/2014FIRST CLASS ESTABLISHMENT with knowledgeable staff. From the Owner to the staff, nothing but a great place for a romantic or family dinner that is always remembered!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bonnieDined on 11/18/2014This is the best food in town for an elegant meal. I always consider it my "special occasion" place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enchanted eveningNancyDined on 11/15/2014Went here for the wife's birthday. The before dinner drink was excellent. We were seated promptly at the reserved time. The waiter was gracious and did a great job explaining the printed listing of the daily offerings and the specials. The wine steward and the salad prepare were great. The food, well can not explain how good it is, but simply fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- calgalDined on 11/12/2014Dewz did not disappoint. As usual, the food and service were amazing. We enjoyed the changes to the menu. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningEmjayDined on 11/12/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at Dewz. The food was very good and the service was excellent. It was an experience we wish to repeat. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2014SO GOOD we had a lovely time for our anniversary and birthday..... Staff and food and drinks were excellent and we enjoyed the comfort and ambience of a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Perfection!ShayShayDined on 10/24/2014Ambience was great. Food delicious & service was impeccable! A little touch of San Francisco in our Modesto! Great for a special occasion as we were celebrating 39 years of marriage. They even took a complimentary picture of us to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner but...?BeachcomberDined on 10/21/2014As "foodies" we spend $10K a year dining out between Modesto and the Monterey Peninsula, where restaurants must provide exceptional food to survive. Dewz has established itself as one the best restaurants in Modesto and likely the most expensive as well. With that said, our entrees were excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the basil pasta with tiger prawns that easily challenges many of the great seafood pastas on the peninsula. So why only 4 stars? Great meals start with great bread and Dewz fails miserably. Cold, dry and flavorless describes the bread. And who in their right mind is going to spread raw garlic on bread during date night? I find it interesting this pre-dinner offering has not changed over the years? This is an easy fix...?Special Features:
- DewzJamesDined on 10/17/2014Excellent "ninja" service, they seem to magically show up at the right time and never interrupt the dinner conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2014The gentleman that explained the wine list was superb, very knowlegable and was able to provide a bottle of wine my wife and I both enjoyed. Our waiter was ok, we asked him to take a picture and because we we laughed acouple of times he seemed to get irritated and placed the phone on the table (hard)and said I'll be back. We were both taken back with his response.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Dewz!LilyflyDined on 10/6/2014Dewz has always been a positive experience for great service, great food, and beautiful atmosphere. I always appreciate the owner's knowledge on wine and he has always been spot on for what we are looking for. Dewz is a real touch of class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it at DewzOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014A true gem, Dewz offers excellent fare and world class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep coming back for special nightsFantasticDined on 10/2/2014Generally reserved for special occasions, date nights, etc., Dewz continues to improve with slight changes to their menu items and specialty cocktails. We'll keep coming back!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014The best restaurant in modesto! The service and food are amazing. A fine dining experience that my wife and I love everytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect after the theaterMonet1Dined on 9/27/2014After the theater our group went to the restaurant. Half of this wanted dessert and half wanted appetizers. We arrived at 10 PM. It's a great placeSpecial Features:
- Dewzdcox7200Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food, great service and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Outstanding as Always!MattK361Dined on 9/19/2014Dewz is our go-to place whether it is to mark a special occasion or to just enjoy a romantic evening out. Food, service, staff, wine and bar are all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib is the best everNateRDined on 9/15/2014This is my favorite spot for Prime Rib anywhere! I've got a lot of favorite prime rib spots but this is the best. Also the best Ceasar Salad I've ever had. I would come here just for the salad!!! The romantic value is tops... This is my go-to place for many of my 36 anniversary dinners. You just can't beat this place for ambience, service, food, etc. It's a gem in Modesto!!Special Features:
- not2specialDined on 9/13/2014We have dined there many times over the past several years and it seems a little less impressive each time we've gone. Three of the five of us had the blue cheese New York. We all agreed that the New York steaks we purchased from Costco and served the night before we went to Dewz were much better! Probable won't be returning for a quite a while and are searching for a new "special occasion" restaurant. We may have to fall back to the Wente restaurant in Livermore.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBCookieDined on 9/2/2014Made reservations for our anniversary and the dewz staff were more than complimentary. They made sure everything was perfect for us from the table we ate at to our food and our complimentary photo. Best time ever and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ..ooooDined on 9/2/2014The food portion size may be a little smaller than what we had remembered but it was still delicious as usual. The service is always a lovely aspect of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodiesDined on 9/2/2014The food and dining experience here was phenominal!!! The waiter Jeremiah was the most outstanding waiter I've ever had! He knew the menu backwards and forwards. He has a talent for perfectly describing everything from the appetizers all the way to dessert, and the drinks. The whole experience was very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco find in ModestoBarbDined on 8/29/2014San Francisco has nothing on Modesto when it comes to dining at Dewz. Service, food and ambiance matches any restaurant San Francisco has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten at Dewz many times and for many years......we brought in some friends from Pleasant Hill and they were extremely satisfied with the food and ambiance. They said they only wished they had a restaurant like Dewz back home. Matter of fact, they are already talking about coming back for another visit.Special Features:
- Dinner at DewzDiningduoDined on 8/22/2014Greeted immediately by energetic hostesses.Batrtender Richard very helpful.Numerous servers helped us before dinner.Dinner was good n plating was excellent.Would recommend dress code. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that good this visitJamieCVIPDined on 8/12/2014Lobster Bisque was good but barely warm. Pork shank was big but fatty. I have had much better meals here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as usualcalgalDined on 8/9/2014Dewz did it again. Took my mom there for her birthday. She lives in Sacramento and always wants to go here when she's in town. She had the salmon with the pineapple salsa. She said the flavor was wonderful, but the fish was slightly over cooked. But she ate every bite none the less! I had the halibut. Probably the best I've ever had. The service was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodnightoutDined on 7/28/2014My husband had fish I had steak. Both were wonderful! The service was also outstanding. We went for our anniversary and it was an excellent choice.Special Features:
- The following 658 reviews are from the Dewz reviews archive.
- Great Experience!aucproDined on 7/22/2014Everything was wonderful! The wife and I had a great experience. We will be back again.Special Features:
- JimVDined on 7/22/2014Service was exceptional. Ambience was nice, everyone seemed to be happy and enjoying thweir experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, excellent food!thefamDined on 7/19/2014Try one of the signature cocktails, or tell your server what you enjoy and they will bring a delicious drink. EVERYTHING on the menu is delicious; our favorites are the fromage(cheese) plate appatizer, the table-side Caesar, salmon and prime rib. The new wine bar is an experience in itself, and very extensive. For wine with dinner, chat with the Sommelier. We have dined at Dewz for all of our special occasion family celebrations for many years, but we also enjoy a romantic dinner for two on any night!Special Features:
- Anniversary dining experience39thAnniversaryDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent and the food outstanding. We were taken very good care of by the staff. Our water glasses were never empty. I suggested to our server that we would like a Sauvignon Blanc or un-oaked Chardonnay with our meal and he brought us un-oaked Chardonnay. Service could not have been better! They even photographed us and provide us with it as a memento of our dining experience with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top place in ModestoSavorerDined on 7/12/2014Top notch overall. Wonderful fresh , seasonal ingredients with lots of creative flair. A person can actually eat healthy here, by omitting the starch and asking for additional veggies. Very nice ambience, with real tablecloths, subdued colors with reds, and nice flowers. They know their wines and do their best to make sure you like the one you choose, by having you sample first if desired. This is a long time one family owned establishment and they work very hard to keep it " right up there" in quality. Wonderful location as well, with easy access in center of town. probably the nicest restaurant in Modesto.Special Features:
- great experience.JoeproVIPDined on 7/12/2014As always Dewz offers a fine dinning experience. All food ordered comes on a hot plate and delicious. Service is excellent. Great for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary11annivDined on 7/11/2014Celebrated our anniversay and we had a great dinner and experience. Our waitress was wonderful and we even got a keepsake photo to mark the occasion which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time....timetodineDined on 7/8/2014Dewz was a wonderful dining experience. Loved the food, waiter & wine steward. Very nice, very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DestinationustbfatDined on 6/30/2014My wife and I have been going to Dewz for several years on our anniversary and the food, service and atmosphere is always top notch, which is why we go back. We go here at other times as well with friends and have never had a bad experience. Paco and Will were very nice and enjoyable to interact with. We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatsNancyDined on 6/28/2014It was a wonderful experience, great food and good staff. Even took our picture for our 39th year of wedded bliss.Special Features:
- service can't be beathighplainsdriffterDined on 6/28/2014I gave Dewz a rating of 5 stars for service because they didn't have 6 stars. I have never been to a restaurant with so much focus on service. If you even look up from your table as if to be looking for something a waiter, waitress,or staff member will be there within seconds to see if there is something you need. We have been to Dewz twice now and the food is comparable to any of the finest restaurants you will ever eat at. Since the last time we ate there they have add a craft beer list with some of the best craft beers available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLMod1234Dined on 6/27/2014This is my absolute favorite restaurant in Modesto. The Cesar Salad made tableside is hands down the best I've ever experienced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.