1505 J street
Modesto, CA 95354Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dothedewz.com/
- Phone: 2095491101
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Vincent Alvarado
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties up to 20 people with a generous set menu.
A word from Dewz
Judy Aspesi and her son Scott established Dewz Restaurant in 1997. Judy, Scott and their staff strive to continuously provide Dewz customers with great food and excellent service. Scott named Dewz in honor of his only brother Dewayne who passed away in 1996 at the very young age of 26 after an arduous battle with leukemia. Along with Executive Chef Vincent, Judy and Scott are 'hands on' owners who energetically oversee the restaurant's everyday operations. Vincent purchases only the finest fresh ingredients for our patrons' dishes and is committed to the meticulous preparation of each plate to asure that you, our guests, enjoy the finest of dining experiences. Come and experience why we have been voted by readers of the Modesto Bee regional newspaper as their favorite fine dining restaurant for 2008, 2009, and 2010, plus several Awards of Excellence from the Wine Spectator magazine for having one of the most outstanding restaurant wine lists in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dewz reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)romantic (55)notable wine list (46)fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (15)hot spot (14)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect after the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014After the theater our group went to the restaurant. Half of this wanted dessert and half wanted appetizers. We arrived at 10 PM. It's a great placeSpecial Features:
- Dewzdcox7200Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food, great service and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Outstanding as Always!MattK361Dined on 9/19/2014Dewz is our go-to place whether it is to mark a special occasion or to just enjoy a romantic evening out. Food, service, staff, wine and bar are all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime Rib is the best everNateRDined on 9/15/2014This is my favorite spot for Prime Rib anywhere! I've got a lot of favorite prime rib spots but this is the best. Also the best Ceasar Salad I've ever had. I would come here just for the salad!!! The romantic value is tops... This is my go-to place for many of my 36 anniversary dinners. You just can't beat this place for ambience, service, food, etc. It's a gem in Modesto!!Special Features:
- not2specialDined on 9/13/2014We have dined there many times over the past several years and it seems a little less impressive each time we've gone. Three of the five of us had the blue cheese New York. We all agreed that the New York steaks we purchased from Costco and served the night before we went to Dewz were much better! Probable won't be returning for a quite a while and are searching for a new "special occasion" restaurant. We may have to fall back to the Wente restaurant in Livermore.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerBCookieDined on 9/2/2014Made reservations for our anniversary and the dewz staff were more than complimentary. They made sure everything was perfect for us from the table we ate at to our food and our complimentary photo. Best time ever and will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ..ooooDined on 9/2/2014The food portion size may be a little smaller than what we had remembered but it was still delicious as usual. The service is always a lovely aspect of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodiesDined on 9/2/2014The food and dining experience here was phenominal!!! The waiter Jeremiah was the most outstanding waiter I've ever had! He knew the menu backwards and forwards. He has a talent for perfectly describing everything from the appetizers all the way to dessert, and the drinks. The whole experience was very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco find in ModestoBarbDined on 8/29/2014San Francisco has nothing on Modesto when it comes to dining at Dewz. Service, food and ambiance matches any restaurant San Francisco has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten at Dewz many times and for many years......we brought in some friends from Pleasant Hill and they were extremely satisfied with the food and ambiance. They said they only wished they had a restaurant like Dewz back home. Matter of fact, they are already talking about coming back for another visit.Special Features:
- Dinner at DewzDiningduoDined on 8/22/2014Greeted immediately by energetic hostesses.Batrtender Richard very helpful.Numerous servers helped us before dinner.Dinner was good n plating was excellent.Would recommend dress code. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that good this visitJamieCVIPDined on 8/12/2014Lobster Bisque was good but barely warm. Pork shank was big but fatty. I have had much better meals here.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as usualcalgalDined on 8/9/2014Dewz did it again. Took my mom there for her birthday. She lives in Sacramento and always wants to go here when she's in town. She had the salmon with the pineapple salsa. She said the flavor was wonderful, but the fish was slightly over cooked. But she ate every bite none the less! I had the halibut. Probably the best I've ever had. The service was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodnightoutDined on 7/28/2014My husband had fish I had steak. Both were wonderful! The service was also outstanding. We went for our anniversary and it was an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Great Experience!aucproDined on 7/22/2014Everything was wonderful! The wife and I had a great experience. We will be back again.Special Features:
- JimVDined on 7/22/2014Service was exceptional. Ambience was nice, everyone seemed to be happy and enjoying thweir experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, excellent food!thefamDined on 7/19/2014Try one of the signature cocktails, or tell your server what you enjoy and they will bring a delicious drink. EVERYTHING on the menu is delicious; our favorites are the fromage(cheese) plate appatizer, the table-side Caesar, salmon and prime rib. The new wine bar is an experience in itself, and very extensive. For wine with dinner, chat with the Sommelier. We have dined at Dewz for all of our special occasion family celebrations for many years, but we also enjoy a romantic dinner for two on any night!Special Features:
- Anniversary dining experience39thAnniversaryDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent and the food outstanding. We were taken very good care of by the staff. Our water glasses were never empty. I suggested to our server that we would like a Sauvignon Blanc or un-oaked Chardonnay with our meal and he brought us un-oaked Chardonnay. Service could not have been better! They even photographed us and provide us with it as a memento of our dining experience with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top place in ModestoSavorerDined on 7/12/2014Top notch overall. Wonderful fresh , seasonal ingredients with lots of creative flair. A person can actually eat healthy here, by omitting the starch and asking for additional veggies. Very nice ambience, with real tablecloths, subdued colors with reds, and nice flowers. They know their wines and do their best to make sure you like the one you choose, by having you sample first if desired. This is a long time one family owned establishment and they work very hard to keep it " right up there" in quality. Wonderful location as well, with easy access in center of town. probably the nicest restaurant in Modesto.Special Features:
- great experience.JoeproVIPDined on 7/12/2014As always Dewz offers a fine dinning experience. All food ordered comes on a hot plate and delicious. Service is excellent. Great for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary11annivDined on 7/11/2014Celebrated our anniversay and we had a great dinner and experience. Our waitress was wonderful and we even got a keepsake photo to mark the occasion which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time....timetodineDined on 7/8/2014Dewz was a wonderful dining experience. Loved the food, waiter & wine steward. Very nice, very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DestinationustbfatDined on 6/30/2014My wife and I have been going to Dewz for several years on our anniversary and the food, service and atmosphere is always top notch, which is why we go back. We go here at other times as well with friends and have never had a bad experience. Paco and Will were very nice and enjoyable to interact with. We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatsNancyDined on 6/28/2014It was a wonderful experience, great food and good staff. Even took our picture for our 39th year of wedded bliss.Special Features:
- service can't be beathighplainsdriffterDined on 6/28/2014I gave Dewz a rating of 5 stars for service because they didn't have 6 stars. I have never been to a restaurant with so much focus on service. If you even look up from your table as if to be looking for something a waiter, waitress,or staff member will be there within seconds to see if there is something you need. We have been to Dewz twice now and the food is comparable to any of the finest restaurants you will ever eat at. Since the last time we ate there they have add a craft beer list with some of the best craft beers available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLMod1234Dined on 6/27/2014This is my absolute favorite restaurant in Modesto. The Cesar Salad made tableside is hands down the best I've ever experienced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BirthdaysYolandeDined on 6/27/2014A group of 4 work friends went to dinner to celebrate a birthday. We were treated like royalty! The wait staff took our picture and gave it to the birthday girl. They even gave us a sample of chocolate wine to go with our dessert. The halibut was very nice and the desserts are quite incredible.Special Features:
- do the DewzDArbyDined on 6/25/2014Dewz is one of the better restaurants in Modesto. The sevice is always very good, if not a bit smoothering and they try hard to make your visit enjoyable. The noise level in the main dining area can be a bit much when filled. The menu is good, not exceptional, but I think they are catering to the masses which keeps them afloat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On spot, as usualluvztoreadDined on 6/25/2014This was my second visit to Dewz, both for my mother's birthday. As usual, everything was on point. My 81 year old mom was not too happy ordering a prime rib "medium well" and found no pink! I explained that it was how she ordered it, so she ended up taking most of it home to her dogs. THAT was embarrassing! With the exception of the pace a bit too leisurely and slow for me, the dining experience and food was great!Loved how our server took a photo of this "special occasion." My mom loved the photo of herself, and she's the most critical person on the planet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal.selifx7780Dined on 6/23/2014Literally have always had the perfect meal. I guarantee that everything on the menu is prepared to perfection. Excellent service, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressiveDixieDined on 6/21/2014Beautifully plated entrees, delectable tastes and the very best service! Impressive wine list and Scott is always helpful if you can't decide on a wine. He will bring a suggestion(s) until you are satsified. Don't pass up the tabelside prepared Caesar salad - one of the best ever! Very accomodating staff for all special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not AgainEnjoyAGoodMealDined on 6/16/2014Steaks were overlooked, waiter was snobby, and we were charged for two desserts that we didn't order.Special Features:
- Great Food Great presentationMikeDined on 6/14/2014Everything was good except the bar. We went early for our reservation so we could enjoy a cocktail before dinner. We were the only patrons in the bar seating area but the service was slow and we didn't get our drinks until we were taken to our table. The drinks were bad... We had to send them back... How do you mess up gin and tonic? Flat tonic is nasty.Special Features:
- Excellent!winerNdinerDined on 6/7/2014We have celebrated our anniversary at Dewz for several years. The service is always the best! I noted it was our anniversary on the open table reservation and every employee we had contact with wished us a happy anniversary. The food was excellent, as always. The wine steward was helpful and our waitress was attentive and answered our questions about specials with no problem. We go to Dewz several more times a year and we will be back soon as the new menu items sound amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!amazingfoodandserviceDined on 6/7/2014Dewz is a gen! We love dining here and is a family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's 80th birthdaymcberkeleyVIPDined on 6/4/2014I grew up in Modesto but haved long lived in much larger cities (Bay Area and Chicago). I never really thought of home as having fine dining, but after taking my mother out for her 80th birthday earlier this week at Dewz I have changed my mind. The space is quite nice, the food was interesting and well prepared (excellent seafood), the servers were very friendly and attentive, and the wine list covers lots of ground at reasonable prices. I particularly like their wide range of half bottles. I would take any of my friends from the big city to Dewz knowing that they would come away impressed. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Never disappointedLilyflyDined on 6/3/2014I always look forward to an opportunity to eat at Dewz, from the door being opened for me, to the folding of my napkin when I leave the table, to the delicious food being served with a smile. I do not anticipate ever being disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 635 reviews are from the Dewz reviews archive.
- Celebrated a 50th b-day dinner!AnnLDined on 5/31/2014We all enjoyed our dinner at Dewz's immensely. There were a few missteps early on...our table wasn't ready, they asked us to wait in the bar, no problem, but we must have been asked 4-5 times if we wanted drinks. We had brought 2 bottles of wine, and asked to open one, but still the drink question kept coming.... Also, we ordered a cheese plate in the bar, but it took almost 40 minutes to reach us...??? Finally at our table now...??? Onward from there was smooth sailing, our server, Nathan, was very attentive. Everyone enjoyed the Caesar salad (Katherine made it perfectly!), and we had four different entree's each very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special eveningLandLDined on 5/24/2014We dined at Dewz for our 30th anniversary. We were made to feel special from the moment we arrived. The food was wonderful and our waiter Will was absolutely outstanding. He made us feel very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceEttaDined on 5/24/2014DEWZ is one of our favorite restaurants and every time we dine at DEWZ it never disappoints. The service is fantastic and wine lis is extensive as well as wine server is knowledgeable and helpful. Our server, Nathan, was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about his job. We highly recommend DEWZ (and you have to get the table side caesar salad).Special Features: