Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
39 E. Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.devonseafood.com/home.aspx?location_id=153
- Phone: 3124408660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & A La Carte Brunch: Sat-Sun 11am-3pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 4-10pm | Friday-Saturday 4-11pm | Sunday 3-9pm
Bar: Monday-Thursday 4-11pm | Friday 4pm-12am | Saturday 11am-12am | Sunday 11am-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Drew Hall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: Finest Hour food and drink specials: Monday - Friday | 4:00pm - 7:00pm | Sunday | 3:00pm - 9:00pm. Late Night Finest Hour | Monday - Friday | 9:00pm - 11:00pm. Available in the bar & patio.
A word from Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
With an indulgent menu focused on superior quality seafood, Devon Seafood Grill crafts its dishes with exacting standards & pampers its guests in a comfortable atmosphere. Featuring a generous cellar selection, an oyster bar & creative cuisine, Devon delivers culinary excellence at a surprising value. Open Monday-Friday at 4pm & Saturday-Sunday at 11am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (101)romantic (88)fit for foodies (85)good for groups (72)neighborhood gem (51)notable wine list (49)hot spot (37)late-night find (21)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (15)great for outdoor dining (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Joe Fi$hOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/19/2014All in all, a nice experience. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly. The decor is a blend of dark wood with an old school/dinner club vibe with groovy blue lighting. Music choices are interesting but not too intrusive. There is a nice bar. There are quite a few menu items that are extremely expensive, and most salads are in the $12 range with entrees starting at about $36. Portion sizes are on the generous side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Seafood RestaurantLew12Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent seafood at a reasonable price. Good service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014This was my second time in the restaurant and it was better than the first time! I would definitely suggest this restaurant to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for couple or small groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We wanted a place for a small celebration and this was perfect. Although the prices may seem a little high, the food was fabulous. Our server was knowledgable and friendly. He recommended some dishes that we willingly tried, and they were delicious. The noise level made it difficult to have conversation sometimes. However, we were there on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I am a regular at this spot. On my most recent visit I ordered the lobster mac and cheese for the first time with salmon. It was perfect. I have no complaints. The salmon was seasoned well, and the Mac and cheese was very flavorful. My boyfriend ordered swordfish. It was seasoned to perfection also. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Very pleasant, amazing experience with great service and the best ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Fishy About DevonCaseyCDined on 10/18/2014Only one other person was in the cafe, it was 30 minutes after opening, yet the pace was too slow. The first thing to arrive were Bisquick buns--old and hard. My husband had flat iron steak and eggs--medallions of beef...paired for brunch with oven browned potatoes which were half cooked and again hard. I had sea scallops, the first two were good; the third loaded with sand. The Bellini was delivered by the bartender, and I was asked why I had not ordered booze. I responded that I was on meds. I hope that was ok with him. What business is it of his why I did not order liquor. Not enough sorbet to notice in the Bellini. I will only go back for the cheap happy hour martinis....ONLY
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014Great experience!!!! the food was great!!! We had great time there!!!Special Features:
- DisappointmentDisappointedVIPDined on 10/17/2014Reservation at 8:00...finally seated in the downstairs bar after 9:00 and food at 10:00pm. Nikki the bartender was the only bright spot. We had to go to the bar for our own drinks and we cleared our own dishes. Host staff did offer 2 free appetizers but failed to mention this to the server. He was very argumentative but finally credited them off the bill. No apologies, no management presence so we just left disappointed. I was a loyal/repeat customer. However, I will not be back. There is too much competition in the area to treat customers this way.
- Good seafoodFoodFanDined on 10/11/2014Had a good meal. The food was very fresh. Lobster rolls were bland and needed more lobster and less other stuff, but had the right bun! I come from New England and still not have found a good New England lobster roll in Midwest. Mussels were excellent. Scallops were tender but a bit too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The service here was excellent. From the moment we walked in the restaurant, we were promptly greeted and seated. Server was there within seconds to get us started on our night. Servers seemed to really know the menu and made recommendations. Drinks from the bar were solid. Food was excellent. Surf & turf offers a variety of flavors at once. Everyone raves about the lobster mac and cheese with good reason. The lemon & asparagus risotto paired perfectly with the steak & crab cake. We were too full for dessert, but will certainly be back to try it another time. Highly recommend for seafood lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Seafood at Devon, You Eat ItFooddocVIPDined on 10/10/2014Devon was a wondrufl dining expereince for the 6 of us, celebrating two birthdays at once. The large seafood sampler was so good, we could have stopped there, and still given a 5-star review. To have lobster claws as part of the sampler was just over the top! Our entrees ranged from lobster tail to spearfish to salmon to swordfish to char, and everyone raved about their own dish. Sides were also great. Dan, our server, was perfect in being helpful and attentive, yet not hovering. We got two comped desserts for the birthday people as well!! Overall, it was quite expensive but worth every dollar. Definitely a return trip is planned.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantGummieDined on 10/9/2014The food and service were wonderful. We will definitely go back. The restaurant is in our back yard, but we had only dined there once before for a private party. My neighbor and I will probably go to Devon after the theater this Sunday. It is our new neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour!sofiadujourVIPDined on 10/7/2014My favorite happy hour - so many food options and at very convenient times. Can't beat the $3 lobster claws, although the 2nd time I went I was disappointed - they had a "just taken out of the freezer" taste and drawn butter was not brought out. Otherwise, we enjoyed most of the $7 appetizers, especially the lobster rolls, chipotle shrimp (which is actually a salad), tuna tartare, and even the fried calamari has carrots and jalapenos to mix it up. Great drink specials and of course $1 oysters. Lots of space in the bar seating area and very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ReturningDined on 10/5/2014We were visiting from out of country and the Devon Grill was suggested to us by our hotel. We were pleasantly surprised and delighted with the quality of food, the value and the service. We would recommend this eatery to anyone visiting Chicago and plan to revisit Devon the next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:
- Oysters and brunch were very goodEnjoyeatingDined on 10/5/2014A group of 6 went for brunch two days after our son's wedding because we heard the oysters are good. We enjoyed the oysters along with some egg dishes, salad, soup, and drinks. Everything was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceGhostRunnerDined on 10/3/2014We had an early dinner reservation as we were headed to the theater later that night and they were very attentive to our schedule. We enjoyed a private dining area though we did not request it. The salmon flatbread appetizer was fantastic, our scallops and seated ahi excellent. Try the home made ice cream if you have room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional servicetdmplsDined on 9/27/2014I brought in a group of 10 and Devon's went above and beyond to accommodate us. We were seated in one of their private rooms and the staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and timely. We were treated so well. Every single person commented on how delicious the food was. Devon's created an exceptional dining experience for my group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moniDined on 9/27/2014Great place to eat. I was surprised with the reasonally price menu.Special Features:
- great experienceLoveditDined on 9/26/2014Loved the food and atmosphere. I was very impressed with food and wait staff was excellent. I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SeafoodWorldtravelerDined on 9/26/2014I ate at Devon's twice in one week, awesome. The food was so good I had to bring my wife down to experience the food. She that it was fantastic. I would recommend to all! You received the "Lady Jayne" stamp of approval. Very prestigious indeed! ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatPhisinphoolVIPDined on 9/26/2014I can't say anything terrific about this place. The food was good, but not special. The fish was tasty, but not memorable. The server was around alot, almost too much, to the point that it was difficult to have a conversation because he was checking in to be sure everything was "perfect". The pace of the meal felt rushed. If I had somewhere else to be, I may have appreciated it, but I didn't ask for a quick exit. If you have somewhere else to be, this is the place. Otherwise, I think there are lots of other choices.
- New favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/22/2014Devon Seafood Grill is our new favorite seafood restaurant. The staff was fantastic and the food was amazing. My wife and I were lucky to spend our Honeymoon on the island of Kauai where we enjoyed exceptional meals. The Mahi Mahi from Devon was the best fish dish I have tasted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerMcmasterTDined on 9/21/2014Had a blast eating here while celebrating anniversary in Chicago. We were seated at a table in our own little room downstairs. Didn't request the area, but we're sitter there anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service & foodLeslieJeanDined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed the food and intimate, private dining area to celebrate a friends birthdaySpecial Features:
- Wonderful experienceWanderingEaterDined on 9/20/2014Great food and tremendous service! A must try in Chicago. Highly recommend the mixed grill as the crab cakes are the best I have ever had!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRaybanjayDined on 9/19/2014We had a fantastic dinner. Our waiter Paul was fantastic.Special Features:
- Devon Perfect for Out of Town GroupChicagoRestfan1955Dined on 9/17/2014I brought a diverse group in Chicago for a business meeting. The food, service, and ambiance were perfect. Quiet enough to talk but enough buzz. Service was attentive but not annoying. The food was great and fit into the rhythm of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Great ServiceInfrequentDinerDined on 9/16/2014The sea scallops were delicious but filling. The appetizers were good portions and good variety of choices. Service was very good.Special Features:
- DisappointedRosieDined on 9/16/2014Went on 9/16 to celebrate our Anniversary; However, the frog legs my husband ordered were NOT fresh but rather frozen. What we were willing to pay a higher price for turned out to be very deceiving and disappointing as all other sides were great. The texture and taste of the frog legs were less than desirable let alone pass off as fresh. My husand's burbon was had so much ice it tasted very water down within a minute or two. Because of one of two entrees not being desirable with a bill of $180 for 2, we will not return to the restaurant nor recommend it to friends, family unfortunately.Special Features:
- BrunchLuv2brunchDined on 9/14/2014I was sad they discontinued the Brunch Buffet. They had brunch items on menu to select from that we're delicious. Bring back the. Buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationSeptember47Dined on 9/13/2014Surprised to see that a room was reserved for my husband's celebration. I thought it was going to be a table.the atmosphere was nice and the service was awesome. .The food eas great my husband is still talking about the grill shrimp.I will definitely come back and recommendation the restaurant. Was disappoint with the $10 cake cutting fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpectedly greatarthurVIPDined on 9/13/2014After the mediocre reviews that accompanied the opening of the very pretty restaurant when it opened,I was a little wary when out of town visitors wanted "a special place for fish" that was also near their hotel & theater. Everyone was beyond being very pleased with their entries;our waiter (Phoenix) was experienced, cordial, prompt & mature.The place was quiet,at least partially because we were early I am sure. We may even return for our annual family dinner in the future, perhaps in one of the little private rooms downstairs.We had a theater time deadline which was met with ease. I was pleased that there were several reasonably priced wines. The tuile cookie may have been the best cookie I have ever eaten, even tho it wasn't a fish.Special Features:
- ExceptionalmarthaVIPDined on 9/11/2014One our favorite restaurants. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Very fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Very good fish. All fresh. Excellent service with extensive wine list. A little pricey, but not out of line for the area.Special Features:
- Great PlaceHandAMDined on 9/10/2014Not as famous as many other Eateries in Chicago but just as good. I liked the classy somewhat art deco look. The waiter was really great and personableSpecial Features:
- KrochDined on 9/9/2014Took clients for dinner - all of us were from out-of-town! Two of the customers dinners were late but they took care of it. Waiter and food were outstanding!! They had us in a small nook - perfect for a business dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time.GreatfoodDined on 9/5/2014In early Sept. 2014, I visited this restaurant for the 1st time. It was a small group of only 4 individuals for a birthday celebration. I had a wonderful time. The ambiance was great; very cozy and the noise level was pretty moderate. The waiter provided excellent service; making sure our glasses were always full. And lastly, the food was excellent. Prices were what i would expect for this type of restaurant. I particularly love the shrimp scampi. Overall I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a romantic dinner or group outing.Special Features:
- Fantastic fish and seafoodtheamariaDined on 9/4/2014As I come from Scandinavia and very spoiled with great fish and seafood - I must admit my seafood mix grill is up there with the best dishes I had so fare. The Restaurant is very pleasant and service outstanding. We had a fantastic evening in taste and surroundings.Special Features:
- Great,tasty food-Fabulous waitress!RandRDined on 9/3/2014Reygan enjoyed the attention she received from the staff for.her birthday dinner. she turned 9 and enjoyed the food, our table and our waitress was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.