Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
39 E. Chicago Avenue
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.devonseafood.com/home.aspx?location_id=153
- Phone: (312) 440-8660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & A La Carte Brunch: Sat-Sun 11am-3pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 4-10pm | Friday-Saturday 4-11pm | Sunday 3-9pm
Bar: Monday-Thursday 4-11pm | Friday 4pm-12am | Saturday 11am-12am | Sunday 11am-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Drew Hall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: Finest Hour food and drink specials: Monday - Friday | 4:00pm - 7:00pm | Sunday | 3:00pm - 9:00pm. Late Night Finest Hour | Monday - Friday | 9:00pm - 11:00pm. Available in the bar & patio.
A word from Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago
With an indulgent menu focused on superior quality seafood, Devon Seafood Grill crafts its dishes with exacting standards & pampers its guests in a comfortable atmosphere. Featuring a generous cellar selection, an oyster bar & creative cuisine, Devon delivers culinary excellence at a surprising value. Open Monday-Friday at 4pm & Saturday-Sunday at 11am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
Devon Seafood Grill - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)romantic (89)fit for foodies (86)good for groups (77)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (54)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (21)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Fantastic RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014My niece kept walking by Devon on her way to and from work and liked the looks of the restaurand and suggested we try it out when I came to town.. It was a superb find. We have now eaten there several times with a different group of young people and it has been great. Comfortable setting, attentive but nonobtrusive wait staff, and even in a full dining room we had the feeling of having our own litt e n iche. Good wine list with and the Rainbow Trout is fantastic. I, my children, and their friends will be back.Special Features:
- Good food. Bad music.NotadoctorDined on 11/22/2014First hostess seemed annoyed that I was 4 min early for my reservation. Didn't get seated for another 15 minutes. And the sushi jazz Muzak was almost unbearable. Past that, the meal was great and our server was very friendly and cool. I'd certainly go again. My filet was better than most steakhouses that I've visited downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some disappointmentsSRDuncanVIPDined on 11/22/2014The Nero spaghetti with clams was inventive and a very good starter. Ahi Tuna nicely done, filet oscar style rich and tender, broccolini crisp and not bitter. Sweet potato gnocchi was awful, more like fried bread with a deconstructed pesto. Service was less than attentive; we had to ask for water and tea refills. We were never asked during or after our meal about satisfaction. Waiter did not introduce himself. I won't make a repeat visit purposefully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Built for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Great food here at Devon Grill. Service is excellent. Setting is beautiful in the heart of busy Chicago. But there's a price for all this. Devon Grill is quite expensive. Yes, you get what you pay for but in this case you'll get a lot by paying a lot. As a result Devon Grill is perfect for special occasions, once a year or once in a lifetime celebrations. Anymore than that would require all but the expense account crowd to begin taking out loans. We'll be back...but not too often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu a disappointment!DenieVIPDined on 11/16/2014I do not like their new menu..they no longer have weekly specials on Tuesday, fewer fish selections and higher prices! Also their new biscuits are not as good as the former ones and we were not offered a second one. I liked it the way it was before. There is only one other fish restaurant in the neighborhood and adding red meat to this menu is not a good move when people want to cut down on red meat! Overall am not happy with the changes...a great disappointment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful BrunchAliceDined on 11/15/2014Brunch was delightful! My party of three split heavenly biscuits and donuts and we each tried a seafood entree. Meals ranged from 11-25 dollars (kinda pricey...but those are seafood). Everything was delicious, and it was pretty dead in there for prime brunch hours! Still a bubbly happy atmosphere without the crowds and waits of Saturday AM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining food, service, and so romantic!SeafoodLoverDined on 11/14/2014Incredible dining experience. I made a reservation for a Friday night for a special dinner out with my boyfriend and we were given a private room to dine in. It was so romantic and and an unexpected surprise. The ambience was perfect and service was impeccable, Dan was our server. The food was amazing I had the salmon and asparagus. I look forward to visiting again for dinner or brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free-no problemLadyofstyleVIPDined on 11/7/2014Scallop risotto was Devine!!! Being gluten free can sometimes pose a problem but not at Devon. They had a great gluten free menu and the server was more than happy to ask the chef about options from the original menu. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicexperiencesDined on 11/6/2014We were delighted with Devon Seafood, the food was excellent, and we had a lovely quiet table. We recommend it for a quiet dinner before commuting home, or after a show, lecture etc.Special Features:
- Amazing resutuantNas9Dined on 11/6/2014Amazing fresh seafood, I live near Devon, been there so many times, they changed the menu, I was upset because I used to get "seafood mixed grill" the best in town, now it's not available, but the new menu also seems yummy.Special Features:
- Not worth itsibylVIPDined on 11/4/2014This used to be a great neighborhood restaurant with good food at good pricing. One of the best offerings was that a variety of fish could be prepared in a number of ways and included 2 side dishes. Also there was a delicious seafood salad. All that is gone. The menu change is dreadful. Now that same fish comes arrives without any side dishes lying unappealingly on an otherwise totally empty plate. Side dishes are huge so instead of what used to be a lovely portion of 2, one side dish is overwhelming and very pricey. The meal is now so overpriced and unappealing in preparation that I would surely skip ever going. There are much better seafood options in the neighborhood.
- Great find in ChicagoChrisDined on 11/3/2014Had a company dinner on a Monday night. The staff was very professional, service was excellent and food delicious. The lobster bisque, crabcakes and cecviche gave a great start to the meal. The tuna and scallops were both excellent choices as entrées. Since there were many large groups, The noice lever was some what higher but still acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014Made reservations for 8 PM arrived before 8 and were seated in the bar until 8:45 when a table was ready for us our drinks at the bar were not taken to the table. Waited for 30 min before we had to get up and ask for some service. Food was very small portions but tasty. We will not go back.
- Slow Serviceluv2dineDined on 11/2/2014Food was good but overpriced. Half-price wine on Sunday was the best thing. Service was very slow with one waiter paying next to no attention to our table of 7.
- Staff is very attentive/food is fabVivoDined on 11/1/2014The staff went all out to make our dinner a memorable one. We where seated in the heart of the activity over looking the city streets. Great food, wonderful staff and I will recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A la carteServiceDined on 11/1/2014We went to have dinner and found out there was now a different menu where everything was now a la carte. really? Then we asked the waitress for bread and she said they no longer offered complimentary bread. Really? It wasn't like they had good bread to begin with... Will not dine again, maybe just drinks and appetizers only.Special Features:
- wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014seated in a private room around 5:30 - much appreciated out of the main dining area for casual conversation. food was great. service excellent only downside was I felt the hostess hurried my 36 week pregnant wife down the stairs, not offering to show us the elevator which we found out later was right next to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingYummiliciousDined on 10/31/2014loved everything about this place. Just wish there were more seafood varieties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014I've been to Devon a few times, as well as it's sister restaurant in Kansas City (Bristol) and it never disappoints. I had the bone in rib eye, cooked to perfection! Service was impeccable and the food was fantastic. There is a reason I keep going back.Special Features:
- Good yet slowOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014I really enjoyed the food, especially the seared tuna. The desserts were okay. The service was surprisingly slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014My friend bought me gift certificate for my birthday to Devon's since we were staying around the corner from this restaurant during a vacation. Devon's was amazing and did not disappoint. I had swordfish and my husband had the walleye--both were grilled perfectly and the sides were delicious (risotto, mushrooms, asparagus, cauliflower). We also had the crab cakes appetizer and they were so good. The little cheese biscuit they give you was amazing as well--honey butter is a brilliant spread! My glass of wine was great and my husband loved his beer selection ("Louie's Demise"). I wish we had more time to spend there, but we were on a schedule. Thank you for a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Awesome Food and DesignCFoodLuvrDined on 10/24/2014Devon seafood has incredibly tasting food! It doesn't stop there, with a unique ambience and awesome architecture, it is a culmination for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerLukinDined on 10/22/2014We were looking for something walking distance from the Knickerbocker Hotel, and found Devon. We were seated promptly and had a delicious dinner. The crab cakes and tuna tartar were outstanding. Loved the fact that you could order different sized glasses of wine. Would dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014We always enjoy dining at Devon when we visit Chicago! Great options for seafood. Great location and neighborhood.Special Features:
- LouisVIPDined on 10/21/2014We love this place. The fish dishes are outstanding, the service is excellent, and the portions are generous.
- A Favorite of OursNancyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Great restaurant in a good location. We always enjoy Devon Seafood & we eat here often. We will return for dinner & drinks in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe Fi$hCEHJ66VIPDined on 10/19/2014All in all, a nice experience. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly. The decor is a blend of dark wood with an old school/dinner club vibe with groovy blue lighting. Music choices are interesting but not too intrusive. There is a nice bar. There are quite a few menu items that are extremely expensive, and most salads are in the $12 range with entrees starting at about $36. Portion sizes are on the generous side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Seafood RestaurantLew12Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent seafood at a reasonable price. Good service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Loved it!gudtimeoutDined on 10/18/2014This was my second time in the restaurant and it was better than the first time! I would definitely suggest this restaurant to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So nice we ate there twiceBeardiesRuleVIPDined on 10/18/2014Second recent trip to Chicago and enjoyed Devon Seafood Grill the first time so we came back for more and were not disappointed. Delicious seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for couple or small groupTasty2Dined on 10/18/2014We wanted a place for a small celebration and this was perfect. Although the prices may seem a little high, the food was fabulous. Our server was knowledgable and friendly. He recommended some dishes that we willingly tried, and they were delicious. The noise level made it difficult to have conversation sometimes. However, we were there on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceYummDined on 10/18/2014I am a regular at this spot. On my most recent visit I ordered the lobster mac and cheese for the first time with salmon. It was perfect. I have no complaints. The salmon was seasoned well, and the Mac and cheese was very flavorful. My boyfriend ordered swordfish. It was seasoned to perfection also. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningCandiceDined on 10/18/2014Very pleasant, amazing experience with great service and the best ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Fishy About DevonCaseyCDined on 10/18/2014Only one other person was in the cafe, it was 30 minutes after opening, yet the pace was too slow. The first thing to arrive were Bisquick buns--old and hard. My husband had flat iron steak and eggs--medallions of beef...paired for brunch with oven browned potatoes which were half cooked and again hard. I had sea scallops, the first two were good; the third loaded with sand. The Bellini was delivered by the bartender, and I was asked why I had not ordered booze. I responded that I was on meds. I hope that was ok with him. What business is it of his why I did not order liquor. Not enough sorbet to notice in the Bellini. I will only go back for the cheap happy hour martinis....ONLY
- Awesome!AWESOMEPlaceVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great experience!!!! the food was great!!! We had great time there!!!Special Features:
- DisappointmentDisappointedVIPDined on 10/17/2014Reservation at 8:00...finally seated in the downstairs bar after 9:00 and food at 10:00pm. Nikki the bartender was the only bright spot. We had to go to the bar for our own drinks and we cleared our own dishes. Host staff did offer 2 free appetizers but failed to mention this to the server. He was very argumentative but finally credited them off the bill. No apologies, no management presence so we just left disappointed. I was a loyal/repeat customer. However, I will not be back. There is too much competition in the area to treat customers this way.
- Good seafoodFoodFanDined on 10/11/2014Had a good meal. The food was very fresh. Lobster rolls were bland and needed more lobster and less other stuff, but had the right bun! I come from New England and still not have found a good New England lobster roll in Midwest. Mussels were excellent. Scallops were tender but a bit too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The service here was excellent. From the moment we walked in the restaurant, we were promptly greeted and seated. Server was there within seconds to get us started on our night. Servers seemed to really know the menu and made recommendations. Drinks from the bar were solid. Food was excellent. Surf & turf offers a variety of flavors at once. Everyone raves about the lobster mac and cheese with good reason. The lemon & asparagus risotto paired perfectly with the steak & crab cake. We were too full for dessert, but will certainly be back to try it another time. Highly recommend for seafood lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Seafood at Devon, You Eat ItFooddocVIPDined on 10/10/2014Devon was a wondrufl dining expereince for the 6 of us, celebrating two birthdays at once. The large seafood sampler was so good, we could have stopped there, and still given a 5-star review. To have lobster claws as part of the sampler was just over the top! Our entrees ranged from lobster tail to spearfish to salmon to swordfish to char, and everyone raved about their own dish. Sides were also great. Dan, our server, was perfect in being helpful and attentive, yet not hovering. We got two comped desserts for the birthday people as well!! Overall, it was quite expensive but worth every dollar. Definitely a return trip is planned.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantGummieDined on 10/9/2014The food and service were wonderful. We will definitely go back. The restaurant is in our back yard, but we had only dined there once before for a private party. My neighbor and I will probably go to Devon after the theater this Sunday. It is our new neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.