Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
1907 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.devilsalleybarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2157510707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Brian Fidiam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our private event room is located upstairs in the back of our mezzanine lounge, and overlooks our park inspired dining room below. Complete with a skylight, fireplace, and flat screen television, the mezzanine lounge is the perfect place for office happy hours, birthday parties, and all special occasions. This section can accommodate upwards of 50 people, and has easy access to the main bar.
- Private Party Contact: Chris 2157510707
- Entertainment: Four flat screen televisions provide a view from every table in the cocktail section to watch every pitch, tackle and goal for all sporting events. Ask the bartender to turn on the sound overhead to all major games.
A word from Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
An urban alley interior meets the open-air energy of the park. Touches of Rittenhouse Square-area elegance add charm to the edgy concrete and metal interior. Natural light fills the space and an overlook loft and bar upstairs allows for a view of the park below. Flames from the open kitchen sear classics from slow-smoked ribs to spice-rubbed ribeyes. Ingredients are of the highest quality, with local produce and high end meats. Always affordable, the Devil’s Alley menu bridges the gap between American comfort cuisine and a backyard barbecue, allowing for a delicious lunch, fun dinner or late night bite. Enjoy liquors from around the world, eight seasonal local drafts and addictive signature cocktails. Service is prompt, knowledgeable and fun with attention to every detail of the dining experience. Devil"s Alley, an intersection of industrial and elegant where a touch of mischief unfolds ...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Devil's Alley – Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (18)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (12)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Not blown awaymusclegirlDined on 9/13/2014It's a small place with two floors. The decor is really interesting. The service was impeccable. However, the food was average. I had the salmon burger with sweet potato fries. The burger was just ok. A little too mushy for my taste. It feel apart and off the roll as I tried to eat it. The fries were perfectly done. My husband had the smoked beef brisket sandwich. There was practically no meat on the sandwich (about 3 slices). It was extremely thin and for some reason it was pressed like a panini. Way over priced at $13. He was still hungry when we finished our meals. We didn't hate it but with so many other restaurants to try in Philly we won't be back.Special Features:
- Good time, good food, great serviceMK84Dined on 9/9/2014We were two couples and really enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, the drinks selection and quality and the service. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- excellent foodGreatEatsDined on 9/9/2014We were here for restaurant week. The four course meal had great options. Food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.WonderfulDined on 9/7/2014It's been my second time there it's It was wonderful. My friend has never been, she got the fried green tomatoes and she loves the place. Our waiter was Scott he was very attentive. Wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Simple - no fuss and nothing extravagant. Straight forward meals and good neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- A must try for brunch!BrunchingBrittanyDined on 8/17/2014My fiancé and I have been to Devil's Alley a few times for brunch. Every time, the meals are tasty, well portioned, and beautiful looking. I hadWe will brunch at DA for years to come!Special Features:
- Great brunch!ConsuumerofFuudDined on 7/27/2014Nice brunch menu. Ordered the Mixed Griddle and loved everything (especially the french toast). Their specialty mixed drinks are great with brunch. Loved the Man-mosa with Vodka, Orange Juice, and Wheat Beer.Special Features:
- Great BBQ!MarieDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed an early dinner before a show (Comedy Sportz) and was happy with everything all around at the Devil's Alley. Great spot for a meal in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Friendly and helpful waiter. Great wings, fried green tomato BLT and pomegranate sangria. Yum. This restaurant is a bit noisy and I imagine attracts a younger bar crowd later on in the evening. Very casual and just a comfortable vibe.Special Features:
- Fun Place!seeusoonVIPDined on 7/7/2014Had a great time with my friend. It was our 5th time and we loved it just as much as the first time. Food was outstanding, server was extremely attentive but not intrusive. Would go again and again and again.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014The food was really good. It took a while to get our food because a huge party was upstairs and the kitchen was backed up. My 5 year old loved the pancakes. He was creeped out by the artwork so I did not dare take him to the bathroom. I've been going to Devil's Alley for years for happy hour but this is the first time for brunch. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Go-To SpotArchitectureoffood3Dined on 6/24/2014Excellent food, great beer list, awesome deals for happy hour, the atmosphere is eclectic and gives a new spin on the over-the-top dive bar experience. Definitely a go-to place when in the city during work and after hours. All around one of my favorite restaurants; a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very bland foodRy75Dined on 6/7/2014Several different dishes were lacking flavor! I wouldn't come here for food again! If anything it would strictly be for drinks with friends. We had to ask someone to remove the plates that we stacked at the front of the table and we had to ask for the check after waiting awhile. I'm not impressed at all with the place.Special Features:
- Neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014OK for quick bite - not outstanding, but good. Hostesses not the brightest but very nice.
- Nice surprise in the neightborhoodThirstyGoatDined on 5/31/2014This pleace was quite a surprise. To start off, there are two floors with trees strung with lights in the middle of the place. It has an open atmosphere mixed with a hipster vibe. There were a few plesant surirses like fried green tomatoes which were done using a spicy marinara sauce- a combo I hadn't had quite like this. They were done perfectly. Nothing was mindbogglingly gourmet but execution on all the plates were excellent and considering the place was packed, service was timely. This is a great place for a simply GOOD meal. The buffalo chicken sandwich was divine! Cocktails were well-mixed and delicious as was the beer. Our server made the meal as a personable touch to the evening. I would certainly return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple but goodMsBoyerVIPDined on 5/31/2014I read reviews on open table before choosing to go. You should note that as of my visit, the menu and the prices listed on open table are incorrect/somewhat out of date. However, the portions for the breakfast quesadilla and shrimp and grits were size able, and the prices were completely reasonable. I also had a manmosa and it was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a yearly traditionPhillyBeerWeekPhanDined on 5/30/2014For the third year in a row, a group of us went to Philadelphia Beer Week and made Devil's Alley part of the festivities. They make an outstanding beer dinner that is becoming a tradition. The 3 course meal has an appetizer, entree and desert made using a particular craft brew and includes a glass of each beer as well. There are 3 choices for each course and everyone loved the variety. It was delicious and all for the bargain price of $35.00. The service was friendly and attentive. One entree came out a little late and the manager came over to apologize and give everyone at the table a free round of drinks. The place can be a little loud and raucous but everyone had a great time. Devil's Alley will not disappoint and we will be back again.
- Sunday BrunchSteveDined on 5/25/2014We had brunch here on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. The food was really good. I would recommend the Man-Mosa as a drink. I had the Alley omelet and enjoyed it a lot. It was my wife and I and another couple. We were having a great time enjoying the great weather and drinking. The server brought us our check without us asking. That is a pet peeve of ours. We felt like we were getting kicked out. Now mind you we were the only table seated in the outside area. We were planning to stay for another drink. Other than the server mistake I would recommend it to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeRichDined on 5/23/2014This is a great place to go for lunch or a casual drink. The food is very good but it could have been better.Special Features:
- The following 64 reviews are from the Devil's Alley – Philadelphia reviews archive.
- Awesome spot, great foodkb614VIPDined on 5/17/2014We sat upstairs by the large open doors. There was a nice view of the city and great ambiance. The Cuban sandwich was out of this world- a true Cuban. The pulled pork was also delicious. Definitely check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place for a get togetherAmy1Dined on 5/16/2014We really loved this place. We had a group coming in for a reunion. I googled the terms "Center City" and "American Food" and "beer" with a $$ rating (we didn't want to make it too expensive). We found the menu to be perfect for everyone--the vegetarians in the group had plenty of choices. The service was very good, the menu was interesting, the food was great and the price was perfect (it worked out to about $30 per person plus tip where we each had a drink, and an entree and we shared two appetizers). I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedGoddessDined on 5/11/2014I have been to your restaurant a few times and I have never been disappointed with my meal... so don't let the name fool you the food is perfectly Heavenly! I love it here! Anytime you make coleslaw a delicacy! Peace Nia aka V. MerrittSpecial Features:
- Slow staff, cold food, potentialMarcintheBurbsDined on 5/11/2014Service was very slow on Mother's Day brunch at 11am, not commensurate with the crowd. Took about 20 minutes to get coffee and drinks. An hour for the food, which ended up being on the cold side. Refills on coffee took 35 minutes. Food had potential to be great but the fact that no ones dish was hot or fresh took away from that immensely. Aside from that I would still return as prior visits were great and everyone gets one bad day.
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014This was a first time visit for us. Our other daughter has gone before and also stains he liked it. It was an enjoyable meal with good service. Id definitely return.Special Features:
- Cool placeKevinDined on 4/29/2014Cool place with great BBQ. I'll come here again to try the rest of their dishes.Special Features:
- How Fun!!!!seeusoonVIPDined on 4/22/2014My friends and I had such a great time and the food was outstanding! We decided to make it one of our "go to" hotspots!Special Features:
- Tasty food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/14/2014Came with a group of 6 and after getting see seated, we didn't see a server for 20 minutes. Slow service continued after that. Luckily the food was wonderful, so I'll go back, but make sure you're not on a short lunch schedule.
- Good food but service was fairBTagsDined on 3/29/2014Food was great but our server seemed distracted. Our meal ended up being rather long but we weren't in a rush so it wasn't a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueRunnerMomDined on 3/28/2014In town for the Philly Love Half Marathon - looking to appease 3 very different palates on busy Friday night. We were not disappointed! From the salmon dinner to the mac and cheese side - flavors were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQItsmeDined on 3/21/2014Had the bbq combo. Everything was delicious. Entire party enjoyed their meals.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid place.amandashea88Dined on 3/21/2014Fun place! A bit small and loud, but it's part of the atmosphere. The menu had a good varriety but wasn't too large either. I has the pulled pork and it was very good. Loved the 90's music that was playing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 3/16/2014I have been there a few times but never for brunch. It was truly our server, Kelsey's fault that we had a bad time. Our drinks and food were not good which could have easily been fixed if she ever came back. Then she forced the check on us when we were going to order more drinks so we left and went to Continental near by.Special Features:
- Overall GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/10/2014Food was good - soup was cold and still not that great after it was reheated. The service was good - no complaints there. Just the food was lacking in taste. Exceeept the mac & cheese. The people that ordered the mac & cheese were very very pleased ---then again, it's mac & cheese.Special Features:
- Great experienceCourtDined on 2/22/2014This was my second time at Devil's Alley. I have been with a group for a birthday dinner and this past time we enjoyed dinner for two. The food is delicious and it is a fun place to go for an eventful night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...round 2ValentinesDined on 2/21/2014We were here last week for Valentine's...we had a blast then and wanted to continue the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Devil's AlleyBridgetDined on 2/21/2014This place was great. Went with a group for happy hour and the service was prompt and friendly, the food was really great, and the drinks and drink specials were wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Meal, Great PriceKelzDined on 1/31/2014I went to Devil's Alley to celebrate my college graduation. Luckily, it also happened to be restaurant week in Philadelphia, so I had the added bonus of enjoying four courses of Devil's Alley meals. Each course was great! I still remember how delicious each course was- especially the scallops and dry rub wings appetizers! The mixed drinks were enjoyable as well- not too strong and tasty. Overall, great meal, great experience for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- WORST EXPERIENCE EVERVlaskowskiDined on 1/30/2014Don't ever go there for restaurant week. Or ever. Horrible horrible service. We had a reservation for 8pm and didn't get seated till 8:40. I had to check with the hostess 2 times before we even were seated. They were the absolute worst. We spent 3 hours there because they cooked the food so slow. The waitress knew nothing about the menu and they ran out of everything and 5 times came over to the table saying they ran out of whatever and we had to pick another choice. Would never recommend this restaurant for anyone.
- WONDERFUL FIND!pateljillDined on 1/26/2014Originally I went to Devil's Alley with a friend for Restaurant Week, but after experiencing their wonderful food and service, I will definitely go back for a special occasion dinner! The food was first and foremost DELICIOUS! I cannot believe they perfectly blended the taste of a loaded baked potato into soup form... SOUP FORM. That is unheard of, and it was mouthwatering good. Also, I tried their tempura fried tofu (it was my first time eating tofu) and it was amazing! The service was incredible, everyone was very nice and patient I recommended that place to all of my college friends for restaurant week and just to go there in general!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week here is aLisadDined on 1/26/2014Restaurant week here is a steal. The Rib roast was succulent. Dessert was supreme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.