Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
1907 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.devilsalleybarandgrill.com/
- Phone: (215) 751-0707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Brian Fidiam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our private event room is located upstairs in the back of our mezzanine lounge, and overlooks our park inspired dining room below. Complete with a skylight, fireplace, and flat screen television, the mezzanine lounge is the perfect place for office happy hours, birthday parties, and all special occasions. This section can accommodate upwards of 50 people, and has easy access to the main bar.
- Private Party Contact: Chris 2157510707
- Entertainment: Four flat screen televisions provide a view from every table in the cocktail section to watch every pitch, tackle and goal for all sporting events. Ask the bartender to turn on the sound overhead to all major games.
A word from Devil's Alley – Philadelphia
An urban alley interior meets the open-air energy of the park. Touches of Rittenhouse Square-area elegance add charm to the edgy concrete and metal interior. Natural light fills the space and an overlook loft and bar upstairs allows for a view of the park below. Flames from the open kitchen sear classics from slow-smoked ribs to spice-rubbed ribeyes. Ingredients are of the highest quality, with local produce and high end meats. Always affordable, the Devil’s Alley menu bridges the gap between American comfort cuisine and a backyard barbecue, allowing for a delicious lunch, fun dinner or late night bite. Enjoy liquors from around the world, eight seasonal local drafts and addictive signature cocktails. Service is prompt, knowledgeable and fun with attention to every detail of the dining experience. Devil"s Alley, an intersection of industrial and elegant where a touch of mischief unfolds ...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Devil's Alley – Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (18)fit for foodies (17)late-night find (13)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (11)vibrant bar scene (9)special occasion (3)romantic (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Meghan!dinner4UDined on 11/23/2014Our server, Meghan, was great. First time I've been. If brunch that it was that busy. On top of it, they apparently had a bad batch of grits. But she handled everything with a aplomb and had a smile on her face all morning. And once they fixed the grits, they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGauchoDined on 11/19/2014Breat food options. The fried green tomatoes are a must have!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good ribs!146restaurantssampledVIPDined on 11/14/2014I loved the ribs with their sauce. my wife enjoyed her salmon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RibsFoodDugooderDined on 11/1/2014Ribs are insanely good. I've been here a million times a just stumbled apon then saturday for the first time. I'm in love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch SpotWinoDined on 10/26/2014I love brunch here! The specials are always so good. The last time I was here I had a twist on the Eggs Benedict with pulled pork. The service is very friendly! The Bloody Maries are unbeatable too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GingaReviewerDined on 10/22/2014Great Food. Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is fantastico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was the best partcomidaricaDined on 10/19/2014Although I like the ambiance and the restaurant in general, on my last particular visit there were a couple issues with the service. The hostess ignored me when I asked about seating and our waiter seemed distracted (didn't come around to fill our waters at all and took a long time to take our orders). Since it was sunday and not many people there I would have thought the staff would have been very attentive. The food was definitely the saving grace! We had the pulled pork burger/sandwich, DELICIOUS! I have been there for lunch on weekdays when it is packed and the service was good however, so maybe they had an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone Can Find Something HereBarbaraManVIPDined on 10/19/2014I love the variety of food offered at Devil's Alley. They offer interesting types of French toast at brunch. You can also get sandwiches, salads, and egg dishes. My favorite brunch/lunch item is the salmon BLT. My favorite dinner is the turkey with sweet potatoes and stuffing muffins. Seats could be more comfortable and the rest room in the basement is scary.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Went for brunch and got the special. It was great! Their drinks are always delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeccieDined on 10/17/2014The food and atmosphere is amazing along with the service and food. The prices were not bad either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveGreat2dineDined on 10/13/2014This was our first visit and it was very impressive. The food quantity was ample. Nachos were outstanding. Amazing place to hangout with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Devil's Alley for a group dinner after attending a local block party, mostly because we wanted to keep the cost down, especially considering the price at restaurants in the Rittenhouse area. We always thought of it as more of a place to grab a drink than to eat, but the food was much better than expected. Certainly not your typical bar food. The short rib special was outstanding, and everyone was satisfied with their choice off the menu. Will definitely keep it in mind for a lower-cost alternative for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD EATS.foodie318Dined on 10/10/2014The food here was good. There signiture dry rub wings were very good. They a pretty good selesction of other items fromribs to burgers and a bit in between. This is more of a place for the younger crowd by the lighting and how loud it was. But if i was in the area again I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety!AliEVIPDined on 10/9/2014American food with great variety- burgers, salads, sandwiches. Good price. Beer, wine and cocktails available and not too pricey. This is always my go to place for a high quality casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More appealing for younger crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014We had to be around 20th and Sansom for 2 hours at 7:30 during Restaurant Week, and this was where we could get a reservation. The menu was fairly interesting, and some of the food was quite good, but the chef apparently had a heavy hand with sugar, and we found many dishes, including the butternut squash soup and the quinoa salad, too sweet. Maybe a generation that grew up on processed food wouldn't notice. Other indications that this place is geared toward younger patrons included the noise level and the dim lighting. Many thanks to our excellent waitress, who not only paced the meal very well, but found a light bulb for the fixture over our heads and climbed up on the bench to put it in!
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014We were very unhappy with the treatment we received here.
- Not blown awaymusclegirlDined on 9/13/2014It's a small place with two floors. The decor is really interesting. The service was impeccable. However, the food was average. I had the salmon burger with sweet potato fries. The burger was just ok. A little too mushy for my taste. It feel apart and off the roll as I tried to eat it. The fries were perfectly done. My husband had the smoked beef brisket sandwich. There was practically no meat on the sandwich (about 3 slices). It was extremely thin and for some reason it was pressed like a panini. Way over priced at $13. He was still hungry when we finished our meals. We didn't hate it but with so many other restaurants to try in Philly we won't be back.Special Features:
- Good time, good food, great serviceMK84Dined on 9/9/2014We were two couples and really enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, the drinks selection and quality and the service. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- excellent foodGreatEatsDined on 9/9/2014We were here for restaurant week. The four course meal had great options. Food was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place.WonderfulDined on 9/7/2014It's been my second time there it's It was wonderful. My friend has never been, she got the fried green tomatoes and she loves the place. Our waiter was Scott he was very attentive. Wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit the SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/30/2014Simple - no fuss and nothing extravagant. Straight forward meals and good neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- A must try for brunch!BrunchingBrittanyVIPDined on 8/17/2014My fiancé and I have been to Devil's Alley a few times for brunch. Every time, the meals are tasty, well portioned, and beautiful looking. I hadWe will brunch at DA for years to come!Special Features:
- The following 77 reviews are from the Devil's Alley – Philadelphia reviews archive.
- Great brunch!ConsuumerofFuudDined on 7/27/2014Nice brunch menu. Ordered the Mixed Griddle and loved everything (especially the french toast). Their specialty mixed drinks are great with brunch. Loved the Man-mosa with Vodka, Orange Juice, and Wheat Beer.Special Features:
- Great BBQ!MarieDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed an early dinner before a show (Comedy Sportz) and was happy with everything all around at the Devil's Alley. Great spot for a meal in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Friendly and helpful waiter. Great wings, fried green tomato BLT and pomegranate sangria. Yum. This restaurant is a bit noisy and I imagine attracts a younger bar crowd later on in the evening. Very casual and just a comfortable vibe.Special Features:
- Fun Place!seeusoonVIPDined on 7/7/2014Had a great time with my friend. It was our 5th time and we loved it just as much as the first time. Food was outstanding, server was extremely attentive but not intrusive. Would go again and again and again.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014The food was really good. It took a while to get our food because a huge party was upstairs and the kitchen was backed up. My 5 year old loved the pancakes. He was creeped out by the artwork so I did not dare take him to the bathroom. I've been going to Devil's Alley for years for happy hour but this is the first time for brunch. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Go-To SpotArchitectureoffood3Dined on 6/24/2014Excellent food, great beer list, awesome deals for happy hour, the atmosphere is eclectic and gives a new spin on the over-the-top dive bar experience. Definitely a go-to place when in the city during work and after hours. All around one of my favorite restaurants; a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very bland foodRy75Dined on 6/7/2014Several different dishes were lacking flavor! I wouldn't come here for food again! If anything it would strictly be for drinks with friends. We had to ask someone to remove the plates that we stacked at the front of the table and we had to ask for the check after waiting awhile. I'm not impressed at all with the place.Special Features:
- Neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014OK for quick bite - not outstanding, but good. Hostesses not the brightest but very nice.
- Nice surprise in the neightborhoodThirstyGoatDined on 5/31/2014This pleace was quite a surprise. To start off, there are two floors with trees strung with lights in the middle of the place. It has an open atmosphere mixed with a hipster vibe. There were a few plesant surirses like fried green tomatoes which were done using a spicy marinara sauce- a combo I hadn't had quite like this. They were done perfectly. Nothing was mindbogglingly gourmet but execution on all the plates were excellent and considering the place was packed, service was timely. This is a great place for a simply GOOD meal. The buffalo chicken sandwich was divine! Cocktails were well-mixed and delicious as was the beer. Our server made the meal as a personable touch to the evening. I would certainly return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple but goodMsBoyerVIPDined on 5/31/2014I read reviews on open table before choosing to go. You should note that as of my visit, the menu and the prices listed on open table are incorrect/somewhat out of date. However, the portions for the breakfast quesadilla and shrimp and grits were size able, and the prices were completely reasonable. I also had a manmosa and it was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a yearly traditionPhillyBeerWeekPhanDined on 5/30/2014For the third year in a row, a group of us went to Philadelphia Beer Week and made Devil's Alley part of the festivities. They make an outstanding beer dinner that is becoming a tradition. The 3 course meal has an appetizer, entree and desert made using a particular craft brew and includes a glass of each beer as well. There are 3 choices for each course and everyone loved the variety. It was delicious and all for the bargain price of $35.00. The service was friendly and attentive. One entree came out a little late and the manager came over to apologize and give everyone at the table a free round of drinks. The place can be a little loud and raucous but everyone had a great time. Devil's Alley will not disappoint and we will be back again.
- Sunday BrunchSteveDined on 5/25/2014We had brunch here on Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend. The food was really good. I would recommend the Man-Mosa as a drink. I had the Alley omelet and enjoyed it a lot. It was my wife and I and another couple. We were having a great time enjoying the great weather and drinking. The server brought us our check without us asking. That is a pet peeve of ours. We felt like we were getting kicked out. Now mind you we were the only table seated in the outside area. We were planning to stay for another drink. Other than the server mistake I would recommend it to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little placeRichDined on 5/23/2014This is a great place to go for lunch or a casual drink. The food is very good but it could have been better.Special Features:
- Awesome spot, great foodkb614VIPDined on 5/17/2014We sat upstairs by the large open doors. There was a nice view of the city and great ambiance. The Cuban sandwich was out of this world- a true Cuban. The pulled pork was also delicious. Definitely check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place for a get togetherAmy1Dined on 5/16/2014We really loved this place. We had a group coming in for a reunion. I googled the terms "Center City" and "American Food" and "beer" with a $$ rating (we didn't want to make it too expensive). We found the menu to be perfect for everyone--the vegetarians in the group had plenty of choices. The service was very good, the menu was interesting, the food was great and the price was perfect (it worked out to about $30 per person plus tip where we each had a drink, and an entree and we shared two appetizers). I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedGoddessDined on 5/11/2014I have been to your restaurant a few times and I have never been disappointed with my meal... so don't let the name fool you the food is perfectly Heavenly! I love it here! Anytime you make coleslaw a delicacy! Peace Nia aka V. MerrittSpecial Features:
- Slow staff, cold food, potentialMarcintheBurbsDined on 5/11/2014Service was very slow on Mother's Day brunch at 11am, not commensurate with the crowd. Took about 20 minutes to get coffee and drinks. An hour for the food, which ended up being on the cold side. Refills on coffee took 35 minutes. Food had potential to be great but the fact that no ones dish was hot or fresh took away from that immensely. Aside from that I would still return as prior visits were great and everyone gets one bad day.
- First time visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014This was a first time visit for us. Our other daughter has gone before and also stains he liked it. It was an enjoyable meal with good service. Id definitely return.Special Features: