8 East 18th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.devinyc.com/
- Phone: 2126911300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 12:00pm - 2:30pm ;Dinner Sunday 5:00pm - 10pm; Monday through Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm and Friday and Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Suvir Saran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Devi offers both on premise as well as off premise catering.We're delighted to create an event that is memorable and fashioned to a clients needs. Let Devi "work it's magic" as the NY Times has suggested, and offer it's "impressive repertoire" as described by NY Magazine. Email us for more information on catering prices. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: From 8 to 80 guests we have different spaces which would be your own gastronomic abode as the restaurant design is based on a goddess's Hindi translation of Devi temple.
- Private Party Contact: Kunal Lamba 2126911300
- Special Events: Call us today to discuss about your special event , Let us plan you event ether indoor or off premise. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba for more information. Kunal@devinyc.com
A word from Devi
Devi, signifying "mother" or "goddess" in the Indian language, showcases the celebrated skills of Chef Suvir Saran. Using flavors and techniques from the many types of rich regional cuisine found in India, Chef Saran bring together a mindful reverence of classic Indian fare and playful innovations that reflects the chefs themselves. The menu is mirrored in the dining room, designed with wood and marble imported directly from India and touched with vibrant color that invites guests to experience an atmosphere both elegant and whimsical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Devi reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nothing special -- ok food.ComidaVIPDined on 3/30/2012Nothing to get too excited about, the food is good but lacks depth and authenticity. The service is ok but everyone looks kinda bored which makes the ambiance a bit dull.Special Features:
- We had an excellent meal,DavidschuVIPDined on 3/29/2012We had an excellent meal, and were devastated to learn that Devi is closing this weekend, to be converted in another Baluchis. This is very sad. We unbderstand the chef will stay on, so perhaps the change will not be quite as bad as anticipated.
- My wife and I went there onKEITHNYCVIPDined on 3/24/2012My wife and I went there on Saturday and had a wonderful dining experience. The atmosphere was great and the food was amazing. The waiter guided ius through the menu and his recommendations were perfect. It was a great "adult" restaurant without being stuffy.Special Features:
- An excellent Pan-Indian menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2012An excellent Pan-Indian menu, very good service and moderate prices in an attractive setting.Special Features:
- If it was a hot spot, we missed itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/17/2012If you're looking for authentic (or good) Indian food, go somewhere else. I get the vibe and what they're trying to do -- modern, hip Indian -- but the food was boring and flat. We went with another couple and ordered a lot of variety off the menu to make our own tasting. Nothing stood out. The cocktails and the decor were the best parts. I wouldn't go again.
- They had a private party whenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/13/2012They had a private party when I booked my reservation, I wish they would have told me because the place was very loud and not the best to talk to with my date. I even tried to go across the street to another place but they were booked for 45 min and I was starving. I let the waiter pick the food for us since it was my first time there and was not sure what to get. He did a great job I must say. I'd go back, as long as they didn't have a party going on. You don't want to spend that kinda money if you have to shout to talk.
- Devi offers an upscale takeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2012Devi offers an upscale take on Indian food. It's hard to justify high-priced Indian food but Devi does it with excellent execution. Also, take note of the mixed drink offerings. These are impeccably done and a creative addition to the dining experience. The bartender uses exotic spices and liqueurs to create interesting, not quirky, delicious drinks.Special Features:
- Very goodAdamp3p4VIPDined on 3/9/2012All good. Lamb very good. Not just a curry house really good foodSpecial Features:
- Loved it but the Chicken weSushant76VIPDined on 3/9/2012Loved it but the Chicken we ordered was not too great..Special Features:
- Portions were large, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2012Portions were large, very tasty, haute cuisine Indian. Great find.Special Features:
- One of the best Indian restaurants!OceanAsianFusionVIPDined on 3/7/2012I've lived in NYC for over 10 years and they have some of the best Indian food I've ever had -not greasy, not over done with spices and delicious ingredients.Special Features:
- One of the best Indian restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/25/2012One of the best Indian restaurants in the city for my money. Food is amazing and the ambiance is lovely. They also have a great 3 or 4 course meal package where you can choose your own. Worked great for our table (we shared everything). It was a weekend and the service was a little slow, but they were packed so we understood.Special Features:
- Delightful tasting menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/25/2012Delightful tasting menu. We ordered our own wine as we usually do not like the wine that accompanies tasting menus but our waiter offered us pours anyway and we found them thoughtful and enjoyable as well. A wonderful sampling of excellent food.Special Features:
- Great restaurant and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/24/2012Great restaurant and great experience. My girlfriend and I thought it was better than Junoon.
- Pleasant waitstaff thoughGreatDiningChoiceDined on 2/24/2012Pleasant waitstaff though not quite as attentive as they should be. Very good food, nice ambiance, but we were 3 and seated in an alcove with another table on the other side where a loud talking self absorbed diner was extremely annoying. Nothing the restaurant can do about their guests, but the seating arrangement produced more intimacy than we were looking for!
- A great surprise! I am EnglishMaxiliano11VIPDined on 2/24/2012A great surprise! I am English and have struggled to find an authentic Indian restaurant in NYC. Devi was a great surprise. The whole family loved it and would strongly recommend it. All the food was excellent. And they were very kid friendly.Special Features:
- We had their price fixed dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/20/2012We had their price fixed dinner. Every course was divine! The service couldn't have been betterSpecial Features:
- Very good non typical Indian.JonathanDined on 2/18/2012Very good non typical Indian. Great staff and service.Special Features:
- Delicious, high class IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2012Delicious, high class Indian food. Try the Tandoori Halibut!
- I enjoyed Devi during restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2012I enjoyed Devi during restaurant week but for some reason, this time around the food was lackluster. I dont think I'll return
- A warm affordable experienceSupriyaVIPDined on 2/15/2012Fabulous experience. The food was incredible and the service was fantastic. The lunch special is affordable and it is a perfect place for celebrations.Special Features:
- Disappointing at best. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2012Disappointing at best. Service was helpful . Ambience okay for date nite. Wouldn't go back
- Most disappointing. The dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2012Most disappointing. The dishes were without flair or freshness. Some of the cauliflower pieces in their celebrated Manchurian cauliflower appetizer were old, discolored and dry. Rice puffs were acceptable and well presented. The chicken Malabar was dark, heavy and boring. The accompanying basmati rice — dry and old. Tandoori halibut proved OK, but one had to wait five minutes for a spoon with which to taste the sauce. A colorful mango panna cotta highlighted the meal. The naan stood out mainly because it arrived hot and fresh. Service was mostly absent. The check was placed on the table before it was requested. It never occurred to anyone on the staff that perhaps a guest might like coffee or tea. All in all, a rather drab lunch.
- Have eaten here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/9/2012Have eaten here many times and the food is always delicious. The decor is charming and cozy. The special cocktail was outrageously tasty!Special Features:
- excellent service, lovelybirthdayDined on 2/8/2012excellent service, lovely ambience, delicious food, and great place to have a conversation as well.Special Features:
- The pao bhaji was amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/4/2012The pao bhaji was amazing! And the staff was very nice and accommodating.
- Great Indian food & great ambienceLoriabeeDined on 2/3/2012We went to Devi during restaurant week. The food was outstanding. Service was a little slow due to the business of restaurant week but overall can not complain. Waiters were very nice, water was refilled constantly, and the food was excellent. Overall a wonderful experience and would recommend Devi to friends who loved Indian food. Will come again for sure!Special Features:
- Really great Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/3/2012Really great Indian food. Nothing crazy special, but would definitely go again. Delicious.
- The food was mediocre butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2012The food was mediocre but the prices (for Indian food !) were over the top. The wait staff was distracted, disorganized and cool - even slightly irritated. There was no warmth to the place - something I value - the hostess upon greeting us was not at all welcoming. In the end with a few drinks the tab was $200 for three of us during restaurant week. Yikes ! The place is around the corner from where I live, but I won't be back there again.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experience...likBethyVIPDined on 2/1/2012Always a wonderful experience...like being on a magic carpet.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful RestaurantFoodLoverVIPDined on 2/1/2012We had a wonderful Restaurant Week lunch at Devi. The food was outstanding, and the service friendly. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- I had such a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2012I had such a wonderful experience at Devi on Monday. The Service was great, the ambiance was perfect, the food was superb. I didn't know what to expect when I got there, but I definetly left very happy. By the way, its not easy to make me happy.Special Features:
- Food was good and the settingSeattleToNYCDined on 1/28/2012Food was good and the setting was great, but our server was top notch. Professional with personality, knowledgeable and great timing.Special Features:
- food was very good. Nice presentaticbaerDined on 1/27/2012food was very good. Nice presentation and overall flavor very good. the waiter left a little to be desired. Not all that welcoming, however the food made up for it.Special Features:
- Food is strictly ok, doesn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/27/2012Food is strictly ok, doesn't match the expectations of a $ 120 dinnerSpecial Features:
- I have always enjoyed Devi.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2012I have always enjoyed Devi. I especially loved discovering the Manchurian style cauliflower this time. It's one of the best dishes I have ever had!Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/27/2012The food and service were great. we sat in a private curtained room which was delightful. would def go back.Special Features:
- DisappointingMaxieDined on 1/26/2012I had been to Devi a couple of years ago and decided that I wanted to go back for restaurant week. The meal itself was just average. While the Bombay Bhel Puri was good, I wasn't a fan of the fish stew or the dessert. The service was not that good at all and it seemed like the meal took forever. The food was average overall. Nothing like I remember. I was pretty disappointed.
- Great service and beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2012Great service and beautiful presentation of food. Definitely recommend some of their drink specialties, I loved the Mumbai Margherita!! A bit on the pricey side, however, overall experience was great. Love the decor, and although we had to wait a bit for our table, they were very attentive and friendly and tried to make up for it (apologized, an appetizer on the house, etc).Special Features:
- This place has so much potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/26/2012This place has so much potential because the food was really amazing. Unfortunately they are very unorganized from the hostess, to waiters, to bartender. We waited over 45 minutes for the table by the very small and akward bar in the middle of the restaurant. Entrees took almost an hour to come out with no appologies. The staff wasn't rude but they didn't seem to know common courtesies of the restaurant business. On a good note, the tamirand lamb and fish curry dishes were amazing. The food definitely made the overall experience better, but I wouldn't go back.