8 East 18th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.devinyc.com/
- Phone: 2126912100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Dheeraj Tomar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Devi offers both on premise as well as off premise catering.We're delighted to create an event that is memorable and fashioned to a clients needs. Let Devi "work it's magic" as the NY Times has suggested, and offer it's "impressive repertoire" as described by NY Magazine. Email us for more information on catering prices. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Call us today to discuss about your special event , Let us plan you event ether indoor or off premise. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba for more information.
A word from Devi
Devi, signifying "goddess" in the Indian language, showcases the celebrated pan Indian cuisine in its modern avatar and was the first ever Indian restaurant to get a Michelin star in the United States. The team of Kunal Lamba (GM and Culinary Director) and Chef Dheeraj Tomar is a direct import from New Delhi just like the dining room artifacts. The restaurant is designed with wood and marble brought from India and touched with vibrant color that invites guests to experience an atmosphere both elegant and whimsical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Devi reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)romantic (43)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (34)great for lunch (22)good for groups (19)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Indian food, lazy serviceJSDCDined on 8/29/2014This is a nice go-to Indian place, with well-made and well-presented food. The service is lacking, unfortunately: you will often find yourself wondering if the waiter has forgotten you, and whether it will be possible to get your water refilled. No good excuse for this in a half full restaurant.
- Quiet Spot with Great Food/SpecialsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Attended a lunch meeting with five colleagues, were given a quiet table, great service and very good food. A mix of staples and unfamiliar items, the highlight was the potato/ginger hash topped with chick peas (an appetizer). Lunch special allows you to pick any app and any entree for $20, comes with rice and naan.Special Features:
- Can't Stop Talking About ItChelseaGalDined on 8/20/2014This was my second visit to Devi. Food is incredible. Lovely atmosphere. My only negative comment ios the service. It is very pleasant, but very slow. I hate to be rushed, especially when having a fine meal, but it was slow, even for my taste. That being said, i wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service and Groupon DealRaniyeDined on 8/19/2014They charged us 120 for a meal that I paid 69 for on Groupon, they put on a 20% tip for 2 people (generally tip is voluntary except for parties of 6 or more) and then charged us tax on 120!! Which is ridiculous...on top of it all, the food wasn't that great, you can get the same food for one fourth of the price - the ambience sucked and overall the final straw was the discussion we had to have about the bill.
- DeliciousIlikefoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014We arrived early for our reservation and were seated right away, but it took a while before we got drinks menus, and service remained pretty slow for the rest of our meal. The food and drinks, however, were amazing and almost worth the wait. My lamb shank was tender and very flavorful, and my husband's vindaloo was very authentic. The ginger Collins was the perfect compliment to my meal. If service had been quicker I would have tried a couple of the other cocktail specialties as well, since they all looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekBeenThereDoneThatDined on 8/15/2014We reserved on OT, had Devi call is the next day to confirm. They called us again 30 mins before reservation time to move time. Called back for information, front desk girl was very unprofessional. Was seated immediately when we arrived, got out drinks and had that same girl ask us to move to another table because another party requested that table, again, very unprofessional the way she approaches us and demanded we move. The waiter was great, apologized, got us wine on the house. Food was nothing special, we've had better Indian food. Overpriced. Drinks menu is interesting & good. Ambiance is good. One time eat; wouldn't be returning especially because of the unprofessional staff.
- Great food - wait time,not so greatPrisDined on 8/14/2014The food and the ambience were great.The drinks were mixed well. Sadly we waited way too long in between - for our appetizers/entrees/desserts to arrive.The staff was friendly - not sure if the delay was from the kitchen.It was restaurant week so we expected better.Another bummer - they did not have the dessert we wanted from the restaurant week menu.The alternative they gave me was a let-down.
- DeliciousSarahDined on 8/14/2014Every part of this meal was outstanding. Spent the whole trip home raving about how good it was. The servers were friendly and polite, the vegetarian selection was spectacular.Special Features:
- Delicious Date NightRinnaSDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Devi for dinner during restaurant week. We were seated in the back in a very private area which was very nice. The server was really friendly and really helpful throughout the night. We ordered the Chicken Kastoori Kebab and Ginger Potato Hash for appetizers. The Ginger Potato Hash was excellent. The Chicken Kebab was very good but I would have preferred a yogurt sauce rather than the guacamole. For entree I ordered the Spinach & Paneer Vegetarian dumplings which was so so amazing. My husband got the Chicken Tikka Masala. He enjoyed it, but I thought the sauce was a bit too much like tomato basil soup. I can't say enough how fantastic the Gulan Jamun Creme Brulee was.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My husband had been to that restaurant many years ago and he enjoyed the food very much. Unfortunately the quality of the food is not what it used to be.
- Restaurant WeekMaestra52Dined on 8/13/2014Drinks were not great. I had 2 cocktails and they were not consistent. Had to send both drinks back several times to be tweaked. The portions were not large enough for the price. My date was a vegetarian and he was not pleased with the variety or portions as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Beautiful restaurant and the server was very attentive. We took a booth in the back corner where sheer red scarves were hung to make it semi-private. The online menu shows a Devi Lunch Special for an appetizer and entree for $20. Not all of the items were in the restaurant week prix fixe menu which also included dessert for $25. I ordered the Fish Pakora Tacos which seemed more Mexican than Indian. The entree was a Banana Leaf Steamed Sea Bass that was fresh and slightly spicy. I tasted a friend's order of Chicken Tikka Masala. I'd order that next time. For dessert I had some sort of Creme Brule layer on top of a sweet rice pudding dessert -- loved it. That was delicious!Special Features:
- I wanted to try this restaurantCrombieVIPDined on 8/10/2014and I am so glad that I did. EVerything was excellent, but my friends felt that they should have gotten three lambchops for lunch.Special Features:
- RobertVIPDined on 8/8/2014notable specialty cocktail list, excellent service and very good food.Special Features:
- DiasappointedBobbyDined on 8/8/2014We have been to Devi before and it was great, but this time we felt we we not really eating Indian food. Trying to be too innovative and missing the essential. Curry one result curry, cauliflower in something similar to ketchup. Sea bass was excellent. Lamb chops with yoghurt ok. Nan portion small and over done.
- Does not deserve a Michelin starAce1Ace2Dined on 8/7/2014Some of the food was very creative (fish tacos), most of it was decent average Indian fare. Both the deserts (pistachio kulfi and gulab jamun crime brûlée) were below par. The decor was abysmal - wannabe oriental, mixed with chandeliers and Turkish lanterns). Not worth the money.
- Good food terrible serviceAlamodeVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were a party of 3 for lunch during restaurant week. I had read that they also offer a lunch special $19.95 for any appetizer and entrée. The restaurant was empty except for us and a table of 2. It seemed like our presence annoyed the waiter. He was sullen and sour and it was 12pm.- the restaurant just opened. He said the lunch special was not available anymore. When we asked for a regular menu, it was brought over 10 minutes later and we were told if anyone ordered off the menu the others could not have the restaurant week menu. We all opted for the restaurant menu and the food was quite good. The service really marred the dining experience and with so many Indian restaurants in NYC there's no reason to go to Devi.
- NYC teacherDelectableDining1Dined on 8/6/2014The food is amazing, always soo good. The desserts are a must have. Great staff, location and menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotMyNameDined on 8/5/2014Several of us developed "gastrointestinal discomfort" (not spice related) subsequent to our meal. Service was less than attentive.
- Creative and Delicious Indian FoodCarolynVIPDined on 8/5/2014Came here for restaurant week, and I will certainly be back! The Cilantro Tonic was an amazing cocktail, and I don't usually like gin. The gulab jamun creme brulee was also stellar. Everything I ate was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fusion Indian Tasty FoodJapuDined on 8/4/2014The Pri fix menu for Restaurant week was good as it had good options for both Veg & Non Veg eaters. I went there for a lunch date with my husband. I ordered Spinach & Paneer Kofta. It was rich & creamy and tasty too. The starter was good hash browns with potato and chickpeas. Mango Lassi was the best that we have ever had. Overall good food but pricey even during restaurant week specials as portions are less.Special Features:
- too expensive for the tastefoodieDined on 8/1/2014cost of food is way out of proportion to the taste and ambience. average taste, nothing special. Not every dish written on the menu were not available, so we had to settle with what ever they had left.
- Wonderful find near Union Square!dinerscribeDined on 8/1/2014Perfectly portioned, flawlessly seasoned Indian food in a great location. Pleasant, attentive but not overbearing waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique spin on traditional IndianJunegirlsDined on 8/1/2014It was restaurant week and we went here for lunch. The food was served at a relaxed pace. The restaurant is decorated beautifully and I imagine the ambience is enhanced at night. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. We could have done with half the size of the entrees. The hostess was not the warmest or the most welcoming - it needs to be said. We arrived a bit early and were not aware not the place was yet to open for business and she was unnecessarily brusque and rude in waving us off. No smiles. Luckily we did not let this ruin our lunch experience. Our servers were very nice though. The Gulab Jamun creme brûlée is to die for! Our vegetarian party of four quite enjoyed our lunch and I would recommend this place for sure.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingKarenDined on 7/31/2014A friend and I went to Devi for a restaurant week dinner. The food was pretty good, however the service was mediocre. First, the waiter took a while to even get to us then next he messed up our drink order. At the end of our meal there were unnecessary complications regarding the bill and credit card machine. Overall, we were both very disappointed with our experience dining at Devi.
- Good food, so-so serviceFiFi123Dined on 7/31/2014We were at Devi for Restaurant week. Don't know if service is typically more lax during the onslaught, but we were left sitting at the table for long periods of time waiting to order, waiting for the next course, waiting for tea/coffee after our meal, waiting for the check, etc. The overly relaxed service really diminished our dining experience.
- LovelyValueSeekerDined on 7/31/2014Lovely decor, good looking and attentive staff, and YUM!Special Features:
- restaurant week diinerFeliciaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent. Elegant dining room. Friendly service.Special Features:
- devi dininghilldinerDined on 7/24/2014Great food and innovative Indian cocktails, baby eggplant was too salty, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad service!khollandDined on 7/24/2014We booked the NYC restaurant week menu offer and thought we were going to have a great experience. Upon arrival we were shown to our table then it took another 7mins for the waiter to give us the menu as he seemed to be flapping over the Americans next to us. He then took our drinks order then our food order and we never saw him again till dessert. The drinks arrived after the first course was served which shouldn't really happen. Overall the food was really good but the service by our waiter was poor. Fortunately the busboys were attentive and friendly. I think our waiter was more interested in being attentive with the Caucasian Americans then Indian people. Even the manager only said hello to select people!Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Went to Devi for restaurant week & the food was wonderful. The service was kind of slow but the wait was worth it! I will definitely go there for a special occasion & intend to go back after restaurant week is done!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Food and service very good, but even with restaurant week menu, the meal was pricy. Recommended for special occasions.Special Features:
- Underwhelmed & DisappointedMRSEJDined on 7/23/2014Cons: overwhelming scent of incense (I'd prefer to smell curry than incense!!) that killed our appetite from the start; very poor customer service from the hostess to the bus boys; tiny portions for the restaurant week menu; mediocre food not worth the cost of what we paid; would prefer another appetizer over their not-that-great desserts. Pros: the decor is nice
- Poor ServiceSudhiDined on 7/22/2014I decided to visit during the restaurant week for dinner. I was disappointed from the time I stepped in. The receptionist did not smile; the waiter did not come to our table for over 7-8 minutes. After the appetizer course, a restaurant of this reputation, i thought would bring us fresh forks and knives, we were asked to keep our flatware for the next course. I asked for water at least 3 times before I was served. I did not get a desert, but we were only given one spoon to share the dessert that my colleague ordered. I did not the check so I decided to get up and went to waiter to give CC Overall I felt that spent over $100 for two and got out really disappointed, because I expected good service and good value for restaurant week.
- Restaurant Week at Deviamlus05Dined on 7/22/2014Devi was one of the restaurants my boyfriend and I chose to try out during Restaurant Week based on excellent reviews. We ate at 7pm on a Tuesday evening, and it was the most quiet restaurant I've been in. The decor was gorgeous, and we were seated on the second level over looking the rest of the restaurant. Service was very good, and even though we were there for Restaurant Week, they were very attentive to our needs. The food itself though was not worth the hype. For Indian food, I was expecting more spice, and intense flavor. While the food was well cooked, it bordered on bland for us. I would love to see if there's a difference between their prix fixe and regular menus.Special Features:
- YUM.ShortcutDined on 7/20/2014DELICIOUS. The drinks are just as tasty! The vegetarian and meat dishes are excellent, authentic and full of flavor. I ate there first for a wedding then went back to make sure it was that good. Yes. Try the califlower appetizer and any of their specialty drinks. My favorite was the martini w lime/pear juice/fennel vodka - nice and spicy. If you like spicy food order their food spicy. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Foodhappyherbivore89Dined on 7/18/2014The food was nothing special. The gobi manchurian tasted like it was made of ketchup, and other than the shaam savera, nothing was notable.Special Features:
- very Good food and decorAnnaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Beautiful Turkish decor, nice light music, wonderfuly decorated authentic indian fusion dishes, desserts were yummy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!jamieDined on 7/5/2014If you're into Indian food, you need to try Devi! The food is amazing and inside the restaurant looks beautiful. The service was outstaning. I definitely need to go back. Best Korma in NYC!Special Features:
- superbspammyDined on 6/29/2014I used to hate Indian food. This food is amazingly delicious. I have gone back twice and each time it was great.Special Features: