8 East 18th Street
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.devinyc.com/
- Phone: 2126912100x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Saturday - Sunday 11:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner Sunday: 5:00pm - 10pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Dheeraj Tomar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Devi offers both on premise as well as off premise catering.We're delighted to create an event that is memorable and fashioned to a clients needs. Let Devi "work it's magic" as the NY Times has suggested, and offer it's "impressive repertoire" as described by NY Magazine. Email us for more information on catering prices. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba. email@example.com
- Special Events: Call us today to discuss about your special event , Let us plan you event ether indoor or off premise. Call or email our General Manager Kunal Lamba for more information.
A word from Devi
Devi, signifying "goddess" in the Indian language, showcases the celebrated pan Indian cuisine in its modern avatar and was the first ever Indian restaurant to get a Michelin star in the United States. The team of Kunal Lamba (GM and Culinary Director) and Chef Dheeraj Tomar is a direct import from New Delhi just like the dining room artifacts. The restaurant is designed with wood and marble brought from India and touched with vibrant color that invites guests to experience an atmosphere both elegant and whimsical.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Devi reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)romantic (42)neighborhood gem (36)special occasion (32)great for lunch (20)good for groups (19)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent food, service, ambianceMLdinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is my fourth time dining at Devi's and it does not disappoint. Used the groupon deal and received four "surprise" appetizers, excellent lamb entree and delicious mango cheesecake dessert. It's a cut above the Indian restaurants nearby, on Lexington Ave.Special Features:
- Great experience at DeviShirDined on 9/20/2014Devi was so wonderful! I took my husband for his birthday. I had written to the restaurant that I was surprising him and bringing him. When we got there, they had put confetti on the table for his birthday. I have never had such a thoughtful gesture at a restaurant! The food and service were absolutely wonderful! It is quite expensive but that is expected for a nice restaurant in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian CuisineFoodBettyDined on 9/15/2014Devi is a lovy little spot off Union Square that serves tasty Indian food. The service was attentive without being pushy. The decor is jewel-like, with colored glass lanterns hanging all over. Romantic for sure. I had a chile/fennel infused martini that was delicious and the shrimp coconut curry was great, too. Loved everything we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service ever.sk1982VIPDined on 9/13/2014I had dinner at Devi this past Saturday. After 25 min of being seated right next to the bar, I walked up to the hostess, asked if someone could take our order. She said " I don't control that." A waiter returned after 10 minutes, took our order for drinks and left. 20 minutes later, I reminded him of our cocktails, which we saw were sitting on the bar table ! After 15 minutes of placing our order, I was told that one of the appetizers we ordered (tandoori prawns) was not available. After another 15 minutes, we were told that an entree (chicken xacutti) was also not available. The staff was rude, unapproachable and when I asked why drinks were taking that long, the server glared at me and walked away. Never going back again.
- foodiefoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014After offering me the 2 worst tables in the restaurant even though the restaurant was 1/3 full, the hostess seated me at my direction at a pleasant table. I ordered the Tandoori Cornish hen for an appetizer which really was chicken. When I saw that the portion was large I asked the waiter if he could cancel my order of grilled sea bass. He said they had already started cooking it, but it took 30 minutes to appear at my table after I finished the appetizer. The "grilled fish" was a stew in a heavy sauce. I asked the waiter why the menu says gilled fish if it's a stew. He said they grill it before it becomes a stew.
- Devi is Delicious!MimiDined on 9/12/2014Devi is a lovely little gem tucked away on a side street near Union Square Park. The food was divine and the atmosphere was warm and comfortable. We ate a variety of entrees and enjoyed each one, complete with Oh's and Ah's at every bite. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for good affordable Indian Food in NYC.Special Features:
- Divine place to eat!BigtipperloverboyDined on 9/10/2014I was very pleased not only with the romantic ambiance and soothing tunes but the rich in taste courses and lovely staff! The gorgeous hostess made me feel very welcome And I was very impressed with the server's knowledge of wines , I will definitely be coming back soon !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodChittsDined on 9/10/2014We tried the chefs special 6 course and it was presented very well. Our stomachs were full by the end of 4th course but enjoyed every bit if it. Felt like the judges in Chopped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014This is a mediocre (at best) Indian restaurant with ridiculously high prices. I would not recommend.
- Great Indian food, lazy serviceJSDCDined on 8/29/2014This is a nice go-to Indian place, with well-made and well-presented food. The service is lacking, unfortunately: you will often find yourself wondering if the waiter has forgotten you, and whether it will be possible to get your water refilled. No good excuse for this in a half full restaurant.
- Quiet Spot with Great Food/SpecialsBookboyDined on 8/25/2014Attended a lunch meeting with five colleagues, were given a quiet table, great service and very good food. A mix of staples and unfamiliar items, the highlight was the potato/ginger hash topped with chick peas (an appetizer). Lunch special allows you to pick any app and any entree for $20, comes with rice and naan.Special Features:
- Can't Stop Talking About ItChelseaGalDined on 8/20/2014This was my second visit to Devi. Food is incredible. Lovely atmosphere. My only negative comment ios the service. It is very pleasant, but very slow. I hate to be rushed, especially when having a fine meal, but it was slow, even for my taste. That being said, i wouldn't hesitate to go back or recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service and Groupon DealRaniyeDined on 8/19/2014They charged us 120 for a meal that I paid 69 for on Groupon, they put on a 20% tip for 2 people (generally tip is voluntary except for parties of 6 or more) and then charged us tax on 120!! Which is ridiculous...on top of it all, the food wasn't that great, you can get the same food for one fourth of the price - the ambience sucked and overall the final straw was the discussion we had to have about the bill.
- DeliciousIlikefoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014We arrived early for our reservation and were seated right away, but it took a while before we got drinks menus, and service remained pretty slow for the rest of our meal. The food and drinks, however, were amazing and almost worth the wait. My lamb shank was tender and very flavorful, and my husband's vindaloo was very authentic. The ginger Collins was the perfect compliment to my meal. If service had been quicker I would have tried a couple of the other cocktail specialties as well, since they all looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekBeenThereDoneThatDined on 8/15/2014We reserved on OT, had Devi call is the next day to confirm. They called us again 30 mins before reservation time to move time. Called back for information, front desk girl was very unprofessional. Was seated immediately when we arrived, got out drinks and had that same girl ask us to move to another table because another party requested that table, again, very unprofessional the way she approaches us and demanded we move. The waiter was great, apologized, got us wine on the house. Food was nothing special, we've had better Indian food. Overpriced. Drinks menu is interesting & good. Ambiance is good. One time eat; wouldn't be returning especially because of the unprofessional staff.
- Great food - wait time,not so greatPrisDined on 8/14/2014The food and the ambience were great.The drinks were mixed well. Sadly we waited way too long in between - for our appetizers/entrees/desserts to arrive.The staff was friendly - not sure if the delay was from the kitchen.It was restaurant week so we expected better.Another bummer - they did not have the dessert we wanted from the restaurant week menu.The alternative they gave me was a let-down.
- DeliciousSarahDined on 8/14/2014Every part of this meal was outstanding. Spent the whole trip home raving about how good it was. The servers were friendly and polite, the vegetarian selection was spectacular.Special Features:
- Delicious Date NightRinnaSDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Devi for dinner during restaurant week. We were seated in the back in a very private area which was very nice. The server was really friendly and really helpful throughout the night. We ordered the Chicken Kastoori Kebab and Ginger Potato Hash for appetizers. The Ginger Potato Hash was excellent. The Chicken Kebab was very good but I would have preferred a yogurt sauce rather than the guacamole. For entree I ordered the Spinach & Paneer Vegetarian dumplings which was so so amazing. My husband got the Chicken Tikka Masala. He enjoyed it, but I thought the sauce was a bit too much like tomato basil soup. I can't say enough how fantastic the Gulan Jamun Creme Brulee was.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My husband had been to that restaurant many years ago and he enjoyed the food very much. Unfortunately the quality of the food is not what it used to be.
- Restaurant WeekMaestra52Dined on 8/13/2014Drinks were not great. I had 2 cocktails and they were not consistent. Had to send both drinks back several times to be tweaked. The portions were not large enough for the price. My date was a vegetarian and he was not pleased with the variety or portions as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Beautiful restaurant and the server was very attentive. We took a booth in the back corner where sheer red scarves were hung to make it semi-private. The online menu shows a Devi Lunch Special for an appetizer and entree for $20. Not all of the items were in the restaurant week prix fixe menu which also included dessert for $25. I ordered the Fish Pakora Tacos which seemed more Mexican than Indian. The entree was a Banana Leaf Steamed Sea Bass that was fresh and slightly spicy. I tasted a friend's order of Chicken Tikka Masala. I'd order that next time. For dessert I had some sort of Creme Brule layer on top of a sweet rice pudding dessert -- loved it. That was delicious!Special Features:
- I wanted to try this restaurantCrombieVIPDined on 8/10/2014and I am so glad that I did. EVerything was excellent, but my friends felt that they should have gotten three lambchops for lunch.Special Features:
- RobertVIPDined on 8/8/2014notable specialty cocktail list, excellent service and very good food.Special Features:
- DiasappointedBobbyDined on 8/8/2014We have been to Devi before and it was great, but this time we felt we we not really eating Indian food. Trying to be too innovative and missing the essential. Curry one result curry, cauliflower in something similar to ketchup. Sea bass was excellent. Lamb chops with yoghurt ok. Nan portion small and over done.
- Does not deserve a Michelin starAce1Ace2Dined on 8/7/2014Some of the food was very creative (fish tacos), most of it was decent average Indian fare. Both the deserts (pistachio kulfi and gulab jamun crime brûlée) were below par. The decor was abysmal - wannabe oriental, mixed with chandeliers and Turkish lanterns). Not worth the money.
- Good food terrible serviceAlamodeVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were a party of 3 for lunch during restaurant week. I had read that they also offer a lunch special $19.95 for any appetizer and entrée. The restaurant was empty except for us and a table of 2. It seemed like our presence annoyed the waiter. He was sullen and sour and it was 12pm.- the restaurant just opened. He said the lunch special was not available anymore. When we asked for a regular menu, it was brought over 10 minutes later and we were told if anyone ordered off the menu the others could not have the restaurant week menu. We all opted for the restaurant menu and the food was quite good. The service really marred the dining experience and with so many Indian restaurants in NYC there's no reason to go to Devi.
- NYC teacherDelectableDining1Dined on 8/6/2014The food is amazing, always soo good. The desserts are a must have. Great staff, location and menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotMyNameDined on 8/5/2014Several of us developed "gastrointestinal discomfort" (not spice related) subsequent to our meal. Service was less than attentive.
- Creative and Delicious Indian FoodCarolynVIPDined on 8/5/2014Came here for restaurant week, and I will certainly be back! The Cilantro Tonic was an amazing cocktail, and I don't usually like gin. The gulab jamun creme brulee was also stellar. Everything I ate was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fusion Indian Tasty FoodJapuDined on 8/4/2014The Pri fix menu for Restaurant week was good as it had good options for both Veg & Non Veg eaters. I went there for a lunch date with my husband. I ordered Spinach & Paneer Kofta. It was rich & creamy and tasty too. The starter was good hash browns with potato and chickpeas. Mango Lassi was the best that we have ever had. Overall good food but pricey even during restaurant week specials as portions are less.Special Features:
- too expensive for the tastefoodieDined on 8/1/2014cost of food is way out of proportion to the taste and ambience. average taste, nothing special. Not every dish written on the menu were not available, so we had to settle with what ever they had left.
- Wonderful find near Union Square!dinerscribeDined on 8/1/2014Perfectly portioned, flawlessly seasoned Indian food in a great location. Pleasant, attentive but not overbearing waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique spin on traditional IndianJunegirlsDined on 8/1/2014It was restaurant week and we went here for lunch. The food was served at a relaxed pace. The restaurant is decorated beautifully and I imagine the ambience is enhanced at night. The food is delicious and the portions are huge. We could have done with half the size of the entrees. The hostess was not the warmest or the most welcoming - it needs to be said. We arrived a bit early and were not aware not the place was yet to open for business and she was unnecessarily brusque and rude in waving us off. No smiles. Luckily we did not let this ruin our lunch experience. Our servers were very nice though. The Gulab Jamun creme brûlée is to die for! Our vegetarian party of four quite enjoyed our lunch and I would recommend this place for sure.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingKarenDined on 7/31/2014A friend and I went to Devi for a restaurant week dinner. The food was pretty good, however the service was mediocre. First, the waiter took a while to even get to us then next he messed up our drink order. At the end of our meal there were unnecessary complications regarding the bill and credit card machine. Overall, we were both very disappointed with our experience dining at Devi.
- Good food, so-so serviceFiFi123Dined on 7/31/2014We were at Devi for Restaurant week. Don't know if service is typically more lax during the onslaught, but we were left sitting at the table for long periods of time waiting to order, waiting for the next course, waiting for tea/coffee after our meal, waiting for the check, etc. The overly relaxed service really diminished our dining experience.
- LovelyValueSeekerDined on 7/31/2014Lovely decor, good looking and attentive staff, and YUM!Special Features:
- restaurant week diinerFeliciaVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent. Elegant dining room. Friendly service.Special Features:
- devi dininghilldinerDined on 7/24/2014Great food and innovative Indian cocktails, baby eggplant was too salty, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad service!khollandDined on 7/24/2014We booked the NYC restaurant week menu offer and thought we were going to have a great experience. Upon arrival we were shown to our table then it took another 7mins for the waiter to give us the menu as he seemed to be flapping over the Americans next to us. He then took our drinks order then our food order and we never saw him again till dessert. The drinks arrived after the first course was served which shouldn't really happen. Overall the food was really good but the service by our waiter was poor. Fortunately the busboys were attentive and friendly. I think our waiter was more interested in being attentive with the Caucasian Americans then Indian people. Even the manager only said hello to select people!Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Went to Devi for restaurant week & the food was wonderful. The service was kind of slow but the wait was worth it! I will definitely go there for a special occasion & intend to go back after restaurant week is done!Special Features: