371 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deuxave.com/
- Phone: (617) 517-5915
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coombs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We do offer 2 semi-private dining areas that accommodate up to 12 people in each of the 2 areas.
A word from Deuxave
Co-Owners Brian Piccini and Executive Chef Christopher Coombs are proud of their award winning Restaurant & Bar, Deuxave in the Back Bay. The inspiration behind the restaurant’s American Nouveau Cuisine is seasonality, with a focus on working with the finest farms and purveyors, sourcing out the freshest, local ingredients and amplifying their magnificence. The cuisine is strongly rooted in the nouvelle techniques of contemporary French cuisine, married with the splendor of American ingredients in a refined, but casual setting. Deuxave’s (pronounced doo-ave) name plays homage to its location at the corners of Commonwealth Ave and Massachusetts Ave.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Deuxave - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Deuxave reviews from OpenTable diners
362 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (262)fit for foodies (255)romantic (206)notable wine list (187)neighborhood gem (144)hot spot (72)great for outdoor dining (68)good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (27)scenic view (25)late-night find (24)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Wonderful!GatunaDined on 11/23/2014Great wine selection and superb food! Dessert not so strong side but.... In general a great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, service and ambienceMikeSVIPDined on 11/23/2014We live in the South End, and I had been at this street corner numerous times without noticing Deuxave -- a big mistake! This is a classy restaurant, with lovely interior and wonderful service. Some of the food was just OK -- a carpaccio appetizer and a duck entree; but the lobster gnocchi and a hake entree were both superb. Wine by the glass ran $10 to 19, and with no dessert, our bill for two was $105 -- "reasonable" for a first-rate restaurant like Deuxave. We would recommend this establishment highly and will return to try other appetizers and entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deuxave is tres bon!!!ErikaVDined on 11/21/2014Creative menu, excellent wine list, attentive staff...a must-try when one is in the Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!BUFBOS2009Dined on 11/21/2014We celebrated two birthdays at Deuxave on a Friday night - seated promptly, excellent service from our server and the food/wine selections were great. I gave it four stars for food because I felt the fish entree was a little lacking in flavor/creativity, but everyone else's meals were excellent. The only tiny snafu was that the host wished our friends a happy birthday but it wasn't translated over to our server, and we never had an opportunity to tell him on the side. (So it wasn't fully celbrated, unfortunately) They are also somewhat limited in gluten options. I would 110% go back, though! Great Back Bay spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowMattyDined on 11/21/2014Awesome. Service, food, everything was great. Possibly best dessert ever, ant on a log!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbVIPDined on 11/21/2014Lovely service and lovely decor………I thought the brussel sprouts side dish was too salty; the pork three ways was bland; the onion soup was fine. The lobster gnocchi appetizer and the duck main course and the creme brule were better than average. Too expensive. We are tired of the pricey menus around Back Bay and long for some good "neighborhood" restaurants; perhaps ethnic; with lovely portions and reasonable prices. It seems that you have to go to Somerville and Cambridge for anything ethnic or different these days!
- Excellent food but could go easier on the saltSusanKDined on 11/19/2014The food was very good. Fresh, tender, juicy, beautiful presentation - the only reason I did not give them an outstanding was because it was a little too salty. This was surprising given that the dishes were wonderfully flavored and didn't really need the extra salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing stood out at allMattDined on 11/18/2014Nothing stood out. The starter bread was sub leagal seafood standard and you kind of coasted from there. The seasoning was lack luster. The flavors were exstremely suttle. The price point for a party of two was far to high for the quality and service we recieved. I'm in a word UNDERWELMED. Feel free to contact to get a full review and explanation.
- Disappointing DinnerBigRedVIPDined on 11/16/2014After reading such positive reviews we were very disappointed with the experience. Is it because it's a Sunday night? First ordered 2 apps (onion soup and another app) and entree. Server gave soup and additional app at the same time. I had to send the 2nd app back so we could eat each app one at a time and not have one get cold. Took a long time to get 2nd app brought back out (Duck confit was delicious). Wine did not arrive until well after soup was taken away. Then, took a very long time to get entrees but restaurant was not busy. My pork was luke warm. My friend ordered the steak medium rare and it was clearly undercooked. Did not send it back as we were afraid it woul take another half hour. No aopologies. No follow up from Mgmt. Skipped dessert becuase we were already there for over 2 hours and just wanted out.Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014Every thing was delicious, well presented, attentive but not intrusive wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/14/2014Visiting Boston for the weekend and my husband and I wanted to have a nice dinner. After reading many reviews, we opted for Deuxave and absolutely loved it! The food is amazing and we'll definitely go back. My husband had the beets as a starter and pork three ways (each one was great). I went for the fall salad and the chicken. I normally don't order chicken at fine dining establishments, but I am so glad I did! Chicken was so moist and the flavor was outstanding. The presentation of all the dishes gets an A+ We had some cocktails with our starters...those were great too! Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in Boston11423VIPDined on 11/13/2014Superior food, service and ambience. This restaurant consistently delivers a quality product. Large and complete wine list but a bit overpriced on the lower end wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our third visit.PieterDined on 11/13/2014We enjoy Deuxave every time we go. Outstanding food and service. We go early because we have Symphony tickets and they are always very accommodating. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply PERFECT!JellyrollDined on 11/12/2014Don our waiter was immpecable ! Ambiance and setting gorgeous, we will be back very soon. Food, off the charts delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 3 in BostonBHEAKSVIPDined on 11/10/2014This restaurant enters my list of top 3 restaurants in Boston. Food was creative and delicious. Service excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves #1 spot on TipAdvisorBostonLastDined on 11/9/2014Booked this on the day and very glad that I did. Dinner with a colleague, and excellent service on entry to departure. Very friendly staff and our waiter was very passionate about the restaurant and food - apparently their chefs work ~70 hours a week and source everything fresh every day. Our meals and wine were very good, and coupled with experience of the restaurant and staff made for a notable evening. Well recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good second timeHT1359Dined on 11/8/2014I came he in March when I was in Boston and brought my husband and daughter back this time. It was great - busy which shows other people share my view! The menu was interesting and service very attentive but not over the top. The famous London Island duck is well worth a try! And the wines by the glass provide a great choice if you are all eating something slightly different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated my wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Our family celebrated my wife's birthday and we could not have asked for a more enjoyable experience. This was the whole package : ambience , superb good and wonderful service. Recommend the duck appetizer and entree as well as the tuna and halibut. Fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special mealpab15hbDined on 11/8/2014We dined here to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals...from appetizers to desserts. Our server was very attentive and helped to make for a special 21st birthday dinner. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definately be back!wallyDined on 11/8/2014Went for dinner on a Saturday night, We had a reservation, were greeted warmly and were seated immediately. Our server was very well informed about the menu and the wine list. Dinner was wonderful -- portions were just right and our server helped us select a wine that would go well with pasta and pork. The manager on duty (Ed) was very friendly and we enjoyed talking with him about the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deuxave was awesome!SilkeVIPDined on 11/7/2014I took my husband to Deuxave for his birthday. It cost just slightly over half of what I paid last year ($375) for some fripperie at Menton, and was way more enjoyable. The ambiance and service were PERFECT... good view of the fireplace, lovely candlelight, not too near the bar or not too noisy. Our server was a woman with polished service skills... not only no gaffes like introducing herself, but the true best server technique of being there when needed but not being a pest. We enjoyed sensible portions of REAL FOOD, rather than dabs of fancy stuff combined on an oversized plate for no reason. That said, the food was very good, but not, absolute wow! Perhaps not quite as good as the rest of the delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beatiful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014It's beatiful, romantic, elegant, quiet. Delicious foodSpecial Features:
- Best Duck in Boston!ej55Dined on 11/5/2014For a special occasion you can't beat Deauxave! Without doubt the best onion soup and Duck in all of Boston! Excellent service and a truly romantic setting! Our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014Deuxave is always delicious and the service was impeccable. You are one of Boston's best. thank you!!
- very mixed bagwfcjrDined on 10/29/2014one meal (halibut) was superbbly done. The other, allegedly white truffles on pasta, the evening's special for $53, had absolutely no truflles. When notified, the waiter smelled the entree & agreed, returned it, and the chef de cuisine came out and apologized for the 'bad lot of truffles'!! An alternative selection of lobster with gnocchi had only modest with lobster & doughy gnocchi. White truffles being as pungent as they should be, the first dish should never had left the kitchen, much less had the audacity to charge $53 if we were inexperienced enough to buy it. Thereafter, my entire meal would have bee comped. My conclusion: the real Chef is insufficiently involved. Too bad as I was screening for large visiting Prof. dinner.
- mrcreosoteVIPDined on 10/27/2014One of the best Bosotn has to offer. Always SUPERB!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feedback.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/26/2014Service at the bar was terrible. Like... Unfriendly terrible. And it was not too busy to be nice. Table service was better and the manager ended things well for us. I would go back with lower expectations than I had going in the first time. The pork 3 ways was amazing. The chocolate Orange dessert was one of the best desserts I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!QueenieVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had read the great reviews but they could not equal the experience we had. The restaurant is beautiful. The service perfect…the waiter was very helpful with the menu since we wanted everything and he said that we would not be disappointed in any of the dishes we had chosen and he was right. We are planning on returning again very soon. Deuxave exceeded our expectations and we would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fine dining in a wonderful atmosphere at a reasonable price point.Special Features:
- Good placeRbur76Dined on 10/26/2014Good place. Would not rate #2 in Boston, but definitely worth a visit! Amazing appetizers, my pasta had a bit more salt that I expected, but overall it was a pleasent experience.
- Great Addition in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014Despite the made-up name this restaurant puts food first and succeeds admirably. The wait staff and front desk are also superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceDocdaveDined on 10/25/2014The top rated restaurant in Boston did not disappoint. Had to wait 35 minutes for our reserved table, but the drinks we had while waiting were comped! Originally were seated near a boisterous group, but our request for a quieter table was expeditiously accommodated. The food was as wonderful as expected, with a special mention deserved by the duck confit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was exceptional.Mandy2246Dined on 10/25/2014What a wonderful restaurant for food, service and wine list. I would highly recommend this for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeuxaveDaveCDined on 10/25/2014Went to Deuxave to celebrate a birthday and it was a great experience. The service was prompt and attentive. They also answered all the questions we had and offered recommendations. The food was excellent with several dishes being in the realm of best meal ever. Highly recommend the Duck Liver Pate and the Trio of Pork.Special Features:
- always greatbeachgalVIPDined on 10/24/2014We always have an enjoyable experience here....friendly staff, great food, and terrific atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Attention to details differentiated the service at this restaurant. The food was great, taste and presentation tickled all the senses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Servicefood2goodDined on 10/24/2014The service here is top notch and the food is creative and delicious. A true change of pace from the same old choices of dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Service was excellent friendly and attentive Food was excellent and they added a special touch to desert because it was our anniversary everyone from the host to the coat check girl made mention of it Table on a normal night would have been window table but proximity to table next to us and noise level from the table was loud and distracting In spite of that it was a great night Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.JohnTDined on 10/22/2014The pork melted in my mouth, the beef was very flavorful, frites fried in duck lard--need I say more? The food was awesome!!! Furthermore, the staff was extremely kind and seemed like they really cared about our satisfaction!! I actually sent back a bottle of wine (something that I never do) because it tasted off and they were super cool about it--stuff like that means a lot.... overall a wonderful experience and I hope to make it back there soon....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a finddiningoutDined on 10/20/2014I have worked in the Back Bay for 25 years and never knew anything about this restaurant. It has now become my "go to restaurant" when clients are in from out of town. Food was fantastic, wine list was terrific and owner was very friendly. Server was not very attentive but that was not enough to distract from all of the positives!!Special Features:
- Lovely in GrayjsansoukDined on 10/20/2014We saw all the reviews and decided to head for Deauxave. We weren't disappointed. Just a great setting and wonderful ambiance. Care taken in every aspect. The staff is focused and attentive. All the plates were like a canvas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.