371 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deuxave.com/
- Phone: (617) 517-5915
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coombs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We do offer 2 semi-private dining areas that accommodate up to 12 people in each of the 2 areas.
A word from Deuxave
Co-Owners Brian Piccini and Executive Chef Christopher Coombs are proud of their award winning Restaurant & Bar, Deuxave in the Back Bay. The inspiration behind the restaurant’s American Nouveau Cuisine is seasonality, with a focus on working with the finest farms and purveyors, sourcing out the freshest, local ingredients and amplifying their magnificence. The cuisine is strongly rooted in the nouvelle techniques of contemporary French cuisine, married with the splendor of American ingredients in a refined, but casual setting. Deuxave’s (pronounced doo-ave) name plays homage to its location at the corners of Commonwealth Ave and Massachusetts Ave.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Deuxave - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Deuxave reviews from OpenTable diners
362 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (262)fit for foodies (255)romantic (206)notable wine list (187)neighborhood gem (144)hot spot (72)great for outdoor dining (68)good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (27)scenic view (25)late-night find (24)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Truly superlativeAnonymousVIPDined on 9/27/2014We are always seeking new places and new experiences, but this is the first restaurant where I felt I would go back to have the exact same meal. We actually made a meal of 5 appetizers, each being the best version of that dish we have experienced. Service was superlative - only complaint was that the 5 dishes all came out quite quickly all at the same time! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect!AmandaBVIPDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here and were not disappointed. The restaurant itself is lovely - quietly elegant without being stuffy or pretentious. The hostess and waitstaff are welcoming and friendly. The food was absolutely delicious and stunning to look at. The duck confit was my favorite appetizer (melt in your mouth), although the crab tortellini and french onion soup were also very good. My halibut main course was absolute perfection. Although the portions do not look large they are actually quite generous and all of us were comfortably full. This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, but I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends and family.Special Features:
- FabulousJamesWVIPDined on 9/27/2014Everything we ordered was exquisite; have been many times, every time has been a winner. Very hard to beat the level of quality of this place, from excellent food, service and serene ambiance.Special Features:
- Great dinner overallWorldtravelerDined on 9/26/2014We took our daughter there for a nice dinner during parent's weekend at college. It is a small but nice place. The menu was inventive and yet with classic French (and some Italian!) dishes. The waitstaff was good, young, but not impeccable. The wine list is good, but only once were our wine glasses refilled. The food was very good to excellent, if some dishes were perhaps a bit light on the portion size. The "9 hour" French onion soup was well done and served are a temperature that you could actually consume, a welcome difference. The tagliatelle was flavorful. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is a wonderful restaurant specializing in modern French & Continental cuisine, matched by beautiful decor, wine list and service. The duo of Carpaccio and Beef Tartare, as well as the coriander crusted Tuna were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faiservice great foodHenryVIPDined on 9/25/2014The service experience by server was poor..the food although quite good was also sparse from a portion size. We left hungrySpecial Features:
- Lovely take on French diningbirthdayboycelebrationsDined on 9/25/2014Knowledgeable serving staff helped us to decide what to eat - excellent choices for both of us. I had the beets and the halibut, both fabulous. My lovely husband (whose birthday we were celebrating) went for Tortellini and duck. I don't think either of us has ever tried duck more tender (cooked sous vide - I asked). For desserts we went chocolatey. I had the chocolate and raspberry dessert and husband had the chocolate brownie option. Both amazing, as were the chocolate and macaroons we were offered with the bill. The Sommelier offered us excellent advice and we settled on a very fine Sancerre to drink, which complemented both our meals. I would definitely visit Deuxave again if I were visiting Boston in future.Special Features:
- Great food and service once insideTastebudBillyDined on 9/25/2014All around excellent meal and table service, but I would recommend that if your first reservation is at 5pm, you let guests that arrive at 4:45 in to have a drink at the bar rather than lock the door and make them wait outside (it even started to rain). BillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I have dined three times at Deuxaves: with family, with friends, and for business. Twice, all the dishes were excellent; once, half were excellent and the others were just good. The quality of the cooking is not the best in Boston, but it is near the top. The wine list is reasonably extensive but, more important, seems skillfully selected and has many good wines for under three figures and good wines by the glass. The service is good but the waitstaff seems to talk a little bit too much about themselves, something I suspect the restaurant encourages but might want to reconsider. The atmosphere is comfortable: people dressed up, people not dressed up, no one feeling out of place. I like the view onto Mass. Ave though it is modest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/23/2014L'espalier want to be but with the same prices....service was very slow...the dishes tried almost too hard but failed on executiion
- Great Place for a Special Mealmd14Dined on 9/21/2014An excellent restaurant with fantastic food. The best desert I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWilletts31Dined on 9/21/2014Had an amazing dinner on Sunday 21st Sept - only disappointment was the table my husband and I were given - in the corner next to a group of 10 girls celebrating a birthday. Extremely noisey and at times difficult to hear each other speak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice spotsquidlyDined on 9/21/2014Deuxave is a very nice place to have dinner, as they have a very pleasant location in the Back Bay, nicely decorated. The food was very good overall; i especially liked the Heirloom Beet Salad i ordered. My wife ordered steak medium rare, but it arrived rare and she asked them to add a couple of minutes to it, which they did and she subsequently enjoyed it. We had fries as a side order but they were over salted. The desert was lovely (Raspberry Chocolate Royale) but the espresso we both ordered arrived before the desert (a common mistake in this country, i've found), and it was only warm, not hot. This means the coffee was produced in cold cups, not warmed ones. This is a very nice restaurant, but there's room for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the best food I've ever hadSixsmithDined on 9/21/2014Out of all the restaurants I've been to in a handful major cities (LA, NYC, Taipei, Singapore, DC), Deuxave ranks among the top 5. Only room for improvement is the service, which is kind and conscientious but occasionally sloppy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fine EveningFoodheartVIPDined on 9/20/2014It was a pleasure to dine at a restaurant with interesting and excellent food, superb service, and an environment perfect for a conversation. Thank you for understanding all the elements necessary for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brilliant FindleeintpaflDined on 9/20/2014The last time my wife and I were in Boston we stumbled across Deuxave. It was an incredible dining experience and we vowed to come back the next time we were in town. Two years later we returned and found the food and ambiance every bit as exceptional as the first time we visited. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/20/2014Better than perfection! Enjoyed another outstanding evening at Deuxave! Our server John and the food were food par excellence! Delicious lobster gnocchi, NY strip and halibut with a great wine pairing recommended by Sommelier Jason Irving provided for another outstanding meal at Deuxave! We topped off dinner with one of the best desserts in Boston-the Rocky Road. We left well fed and looking forward to our next visit to Deuxave!Special Features:
- not as expectedgrotonfoodieDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant came highly recommended by some foodie friends, and the food did not meet the hype. Don’t get us wrong, the food was good, but it didn't wow us especially for the price we paid. The ambiance was great, as was the service. So, the experience was very nice – if only the food delivered.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014One of the best meals that I have ever had; especially enjoyed the duck and creme brule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal dinnerGKJWDined on 9/19/2014From the selection of wines, to appetizers, dinner, and desserts, everything was absolutely phenomenal. The staff was extremely knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth your moneyStevenDined on 9/19/2014I've been to over 9 Michelin-starred restaurants around the world and I'm telling you this one is definitely worth a try although it's not a Michelin-starred restaurant. It's mainly French cuisine so be prepared to love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDdisneyDined on 9/17/2014My husband summed it up: best food EVER. Any city, any country. The best. Must go!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeDined on 9/16/2014Very nice experience. Great menu selection, food was terrific, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!SmilebcuzDined on 9/16/2014This was our third time visiting and each time I leave I say that had to be the best meal I ever ate. Fabulous food drinks waitstaff. I don't know how they get the food to taste so good it's just amazing! I would highly recommend dining here but just so you know you won't want to go anywhere else for a special occasion after you dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceBillswissDined on 9/15/2014Very nice restaurant, very good food and service, only bar service at the beginning was a little slow. Would go again.Special Features:
- ToprafaelrvazVIPDined on 9/14/2014Uma delicia o nhoque de lagosta e o pato! bela pedida.Special Features:
- Great Spot!MikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014Best French food I have had in Boston. Everything was top notch. Highly recommend this spot for a date night or special occasion. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014We went to Deuxave two years ago for our anniversary after it was recommended by a friend. I remembered the food and service being outstanding and this visit was no different. If you want an extra special night out, this is the place to go. We will not be waiting two years until we go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!lindamDined on 9/13/2014I cannot say enough about Deuxave. Took my husband there for his birthday and our experience was excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and deliciousIdoluvtotravelDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious. Especially the duck breast. Our server was extremely attentive and in control. We had a delightfully romantic dinner. If in town again I would consider coming to this restaurant again. Only concern was table was too far apart for romance, so we sat on the same side together. Nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very good experience!LemarcasDined on 9/12/2014It was a quite good option for a dinner with a costumer. Great food & Service! Congratulations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive food, serviceWilmetteBoxerDined on 9/12/2014Highly recommended. Duck confit and the lobster starter both sensationally good. Halibut and lobster main courses also impressive, maybe a bit too big (the duck esp.) but carefully balanced, hearty, and full of delicate accents. Impossible not to love this food or its attractive, bold, but not fussy plating. The "cheesecake" dessert is also outstanding but maybe could lose its gelatin coating. Perfect service, attentive, low-key, candid; our waiter knew a lot about every dish we queried. We'd go back in a heartbeat and will be recommending it to all our Boston-bound friends. We were charmed, delighted, floated out the door thinking of a return visit.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experience!PepsinDined on 9/12/2014The foie gras was too die for. The waiter also made our night fabulous - Don was knowledgable, and expert in wines (pick all our wine choices for each person) and so entertaining and fun. Ask for him when you reserve a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLeftdisappointedDined on 9/12/2014French onion soup excellent! Main course of fruits de mar not to my expectation. Waited all day in anticipation of having this meal and when it arrived I turned to my husband and asked when they were bringing the rest of the food. On the plate were two small chunks of fish, a side of corn mixed with a few of the smallest baby clams and squid tenticals I have evere seen! So small I had to borrow my husband's magnifier glasses to find them. While I don't ever mind spending money on an excellent meal, this meal was a huge disappointment. I would recommend the onion soup, bread and a drink.
- FoodieGirlVIPDined on 9/12/2014Loved the food. Excellent value for what you get! They were so sweet to my 10 month old. It was an amazing Birthday Dinner. Thank you!Special Features:
- BostondiningDined on 9/10/2014Food was good but portions small. Wine list unnecessarily expensive.
- Fabulous in every waySallyADined on 9/10/2014We loved everything about this restaurant. Strangers to Boston, visiting from Australia, we found it on TripAdvisor and walked to it from our hotel in Boylston Ave. Service was excellent - we noticed the staff wander around during the evening just checking as they go that all our needs were being looked after. Food was sssoooo great! We had 3 courses which were all a taste sensation. And the wine list was very extensive. Wesley was our wait person and knew what he was talking about with regards the food and wine! He was excellent too....would thoroughly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointing Staff/Good LocationJohnDoeVIPDined on 9/9/2014The interior is beautiful and the food is very good. The staff seem to self proclaim themselves the hottest ticket in Boston in terms of self importance which is unfortunate. They also rush around so much that in the course of our dinner, no less than 6 utensils were dropped within our tables range. The have a policy of not seating anyone until the entire party is there. This wasn't disclosed prior to arrival and makes it difficult if somone is arriving from the airport or the suburbs. Despite this strict rule and the attitude that went with it, I did see another table of 5 have their 6th guest sit about 20 minutes after the others had been sat. Staff left a bad taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- we stumbled on place a while backOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014and have been back alone and with special friends and colleagues. the service is incredibly wonderful. knowledgeable, discreet, friendly. the food is superb and the menu changing. one of the best in Boston without a doubtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a perfect night even betterCastleWeddingDined on 9/7/2014I just wanted to take a second to express my appreciation at this fabulous establishment. Everything from the food, to the wine, to the service was impeccable, and the staff made us feel like we were honored guests. We booked a table for two at this restaurant to celebrate getting married. The minute we walked in, the manager of the restaurant greeted us personally and showed us directly to our table, a beautiful little spot away from the noise of the kitchen and with a lovely view of Commonwealth Ave. Our waiter, Wesley, was probably the most well-spoken and well informed staff member I've ever experienced. My hat off to him and the entire staff at DeuxAve, we will most certainly be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.