371 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deuxave.com/
- Phone: (617) 517-5915
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Coombs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We do offer 2 semi-private dining areas that accommodate up to 12 people in each of the 2 areas.
A word from Deuxave
Co-Owners Brian Piccini and Executive Chef Christopher Coombs are proud of their award winning Restaurant & Bar, Deuxave in the Back Bay. The inspiration behind the restaurant’s American Nouveau Cuisine is seasonality, with a focus on working with the finest farms and purveyors, sourcing out the freshest, local ingredients and amplifying their magnificence. The cuisine is strongly rooted in the nouvelle techniques of contemporary French cuisine, married with the splendor of American ingredients in a refined, but casual setting. Deuxave’s (pronounced doo-ave) name plays homage to its location at the corners of Commonwealth Ave and Massachusetts Ave.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Deuxave - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Deuxave reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (269)fit for foodies (263)romantic (211)notable wine list (188)neighborhood gem (150)great for outdoor dining (79)hot spot (75)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (28)scenic view (27)late-night find (25)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- WowPeterDined on 10/14/2014We had the most amazing dining experience at Deuxave. I had the duck and my friend had the trio of pork and both were spectacular. We eat out frquently and are fussy about out dining and Deauxave was over the top in all aspects. The staff was very knowledgable, friendly and there when you needed them and gone when you did not. The food was well prepared, well presented, creative and full of exciting flavors. The wine list was extensive and diverse and the staff knew trhe wines intimately. All in all a wonderful experience, ahead of most Boston eateries. This is on par with No.9 Park and Clio but less pricey and with a wonderful atmosphere. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Dessert Wine and Pumpkin SouffleJadoreDeuxaveVIPDined on 10/13/2014Not my first time at Deuxave and certainly not my last. My boyfriend and I stopped in late Monday night for their decadent white chocolate and pumpkin souffle and a glass of dessert wine. 5 Stars all around, per usualSpecial Features:
- Wow!Nick1982SmithDined on 10/12/2014We had a Sunday evening meal here and everything was perfect. Best wine-list I've seen in quite some time and the food was phenomenal- top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerVeeeeeDined on 10/12/2014Food was good, service was excellent. A bit noisy but manageable. Beautiful spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lives up to the hypeAh626Dined on 10/11/2014the food was unbelievable, so much attention to detail as well as an amazing wait staff. portions were larger than expected. truly a delicious meal for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great placevolnayfanDined on 10/11/2014We love this place and visit every time we travel from NY. Great food beautifully presented and great wine list. Comfortable dining atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Number 1 status well deservedLittonfamilyDined on 10/11/2014Every course was exceptional, especially the dessert soufflé. Nowhere have we ever had a soufflé so light and airy. Service was impeccably attentive without being intrusive. The menu was seasonally themed and amply portioned. We especially enjoyed the truffle entree offering. Definitely a foodie destination!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDd10Dined on 10/11/2014Can't wait to go back. Service was outstanding and food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oct visitdrummumDined on 10/10/2014This was the 3rd time we'd eaten at the restaurant. Food was fabulous each time. Service was a bit disappointing this time. We arrived early for our 9pm reservation and were told our table would be available at 9. We had to approach the host at 9:15 and were told our table would be ready shortly. We were seated at about 9:20. There were plenty of open tables but we were seated in a bit of a cramped area at the back. It felt at bit like we were being punished. Waiter was excellent as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FeelWickDined on 10/10/2014Upon entering, Deuxave has a soft and luminous look and feel to it that lifts your spirits and expectations. It then delivers a food and wine experience that lives up to its 'promise'. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.ChasersDined on 10/10/2014The atmosphere is fantastic and the service was excellent. The appetizers were creative and outstanding. For the main course I had the duck which was also outstanding. My husband had the New York Strip steak which was tender but not much taste and was a small amount of meat for $44. The duck is a much better option! We were also surprised to be charged $6 for water, when we thought we had asked for regular water. You must be specific and ask for "tap" water, if they bring you "still" water in a reusable bottle, you will be charged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall for trufflesFrankVIPDined on 10/10/2014Deuxaves is great any time of the year but the fall with Italian truffle dishes is a must. The chef is outstanding.Special Features:
- shadowVIPDined on 10/8/2014Good experience in general. I had expected more. Service a little slow at times and a little fast at other times. Food was good but not great. Entrées were not hot when they were served and it seemed to take a long time for them to be reheated. The manager did provide a complimentary glass of wine to apologize--a very nice gesture. This was our second visit and it was a little bit of a disappointment.
- Fantastic dinningGf70Dined on 10/8/2014From the soft napkin to the delicious dessert the whole experience was flawless. The food was the most delicate and inspiring I have had in a long time. The waitstaff was attentive and the valet gentlemen most charming. Joyful, simply joyful!Special Features:
- Nice spot in BostonShirazVIPDined on 10/7/2014A lovely restaurant with an elegant touch. Service was attentive and good. The night we went, there was a business ambience….several tables with men in business suits. Perhaps there was a conference nearby? We ordered the Duck Liver Pate to start and share. Very nicely presented and was very tasty with the accompaniments. We enjoyed it. For the main course my wife ordered the Halibut. It was lightly basted with bread crumbs and accompanied with a mixture of veggies. It was nicely cooked and very tasty. I ordered the ‘Coriander crusted Tuna’ which came with fried tomatoes, polenta and olives. A tasty combination. Both dishes were well presented. We enjoyed our evening and would go back when we return to BostonSpecial Features:
- Value for moneyKriKiDined on 10/7/2014The restaurant interior is very elegant and contemporary, held in a neutral colour scheme, and the furnishes very comfortable to use. The staff were attentive, but not intrusive. The service was efficient. The only let-down was the food; my companion had the lamb which were perfectly cooked, but un-inspired. I had the halibut which was a bit over cooked and smothered in a confusing mix between corn sauce and puree. However the sides were a perfect accompaniment to the fish, but it should have been more of it. To finish the meal, we shared the apple desert which were perfect. I highly recommend it! Being a non-American, I found the servings too big. If they were a little smaller I would have been be tempted to try more of the menu.Special Features:
- Deuxave, a way to goQuickNicDined on 10/7/2014We chose Deuxave, while we wanted French cuisine. That's what we got. They have a fine wine list and a nice menu. The dishes were good, but can be perfected. Service was nice. The big bummer was the table water. It's from the tab, with sparkling added. The chloride is overwhelming. Water in bottles is not available. We refused the water. Do something about is, and we'll come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deux-licious & Deux-lightful...IndaknowVIPDined on 10/6/2014Had a very nice evening at Deuxave - really professional and superb service, a fine menu to choose from including vegetarian options for a friend, beautiful presentations, food properly prepared and delicious, a gorgeous interior which didn't feel overdone and - yes, this is important - really nice interior lighting which allowed us to enjoy the room, see each other (and others), and see what we were eating. We do eat with our eyes, the kitchen made a big effort in plate construction and it was a pleasure to actually see what we were presented with (something which doesn't happen often enough)...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014We went here on the first night of a 5 day trip and are going back tonight. The food was superlative, as good as a top-tier European restaurant and the service professional and smooth. Portions were smallish, but not insulting, yet we felt quite satisfied. Certainly, it has earned its top rank, which is how we found it!Special Features:
- Pretentious and highly OveratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Booked this place as it came very high on Trip Advisor for during our visit to Boston on holidays. Knew it was going to be pricey but it was the special treat of the holiday. Food was barely warm, staff and restaraunt was clearly trying to be something it wasnt and trying to be posh. Quality of food was well below average and wouldnt even meet the mark of a lesser priced restaraunt. Just because its located in a very expensive and posh neighbourhood doesnt mean it can be as exclusive or posh. It didnt live up to this standard by any means. You would be well advised not to bother with this place and go somewhere else cheaper which would be of a much better standard.
- Delightful Dining ExperienceMarkDined on 10/5/2014Restaurant is indeed a great dining experience - wonderful, attentive service, great wine, and superb food. The beet salad is a must but there are so many wonderful choices for appetizers. The main courses were varied - we had the signature duck dish and it is "not to be missed" good.Special Features:
- Best food I've ever tasted.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/4/2014My boyfriend and I went to Deuxave when visiting Boston a few weeks ago. We saw it was rated #1 on TripAdvisor and quickly understood why once we arrived. The service was impeccable from the moment we entered until the time our table was ready for us. The wine list divine, and the food was nothing short of fantastic. If I had to choose my last meal it would be their lobster gnocchi, their ahi tuna, and the rocky road dessert. Fantastic find, and we'll be sure to visit here again when we return.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food and DrinkWineguyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Very nice restaurant with a great vibe to accompany very good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1bostonDined on 10/3/2014excellent experience from reservation to dessert.....I was surprised that they didn't offer a Pinot Grigio or Gris.....but did enjoy another recommended wine....would definitely go back and recommend to others........Special Features:
- Food for FoodiesbchlovrVIPDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed most of the items we ordered on a recent visit. I had the crispy duck appetizer and it was one of the best things we tasted that evening. The Atlantic Halibut was also divine. My better half ordered the lobster appetizer and the duck entree. The lobster appetizer was a very good presentation. My husband doesn't normally enjoy some of the ingredients in this dish but loved it! The duck entree was a disappointment, it was tough although cooked as requested. We had a duck entree the previous evening that was beyond spectacular and this may be the reason we couldn't enjoy the duck entree at Deuxave. Overall a nice restaurant with good service but not the best I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- Nice duck, great wineAntonEgoDined on 10/2/2014Four of us had a very nice meal here before going to the BSO. The food was very good; I had duck breast cooked just right and it was yummy even if the prep was fairly ordinary (for fine dining). The waiter was very competent and helped me pick an excellent Spanish wine off their impressive list; the wine was superb. He recommended decanting it and that seemed the right move. Nice atmosphere if you're in a downtown mood. Not cheap.Special Features:
- still out Top 3 in Bostonchuckmac07VIPDined on 10/2/2014interesting menu, nice setting, great bar, terrific preparation and attentive service always seem to make for a wonderful experience. consistently excellent. definitely worth a try if you haven't been there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambienceGlobalTraveller77Dined on 9/30/2014Good service and great food made for a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing and disjointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014we booked as the place had great reviews, but the service was below par for a place like this. The wine waiter brought the wrong year, than came back and said it was not right on the menu, food came very late, the wine even later, at the second course. The food quality is good but this place needs some serious management to make it worth the money
- Memorable Pre-Concert Dinner!KarinaDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I enjoyed an early dinner at Deuxave in advance of a concert at the Boston Symphony Hall. It was perfect! Each appetizer and entree was exquisite and memorable. Although they offered lovely and vibrant outdoor seating, we chose to sit indoors for the air conditioning. Service was outstanding. They anticipated every need. They were pleasant, friendly and engaging without being intrusive. Wine pairings were excellent. We were made to feel very welcome and appreciated. Such a lovely start to the evening! Valet parking at $17 was convenient. We had a pleasant 5-10 minute walk to the concert hall and retrieved our car after the concert. Yes, Deuxave is pricey, but we felt we received value and a very special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencedpackDined on 9/27/2014I went to Deuxave with a friend from out of town - the restaurant is impressive! The only reason I did not give "outstanding" ratings across the spectrum was we had a late reservation and they were out of one of the entrees - so I am being a bit picky. Our food was delicious, the service was great and ambiance outstanding. Upscale and friendly without being stuffy or pretentious. I would go there again in a heartbeat - just with a slightly earlier reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and richFoodieDrinkieDined on 9/27/2014Each dish was full of flavor and deceptively simple dishes were rich and satisfyingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous mealJennyDined on 9/27/2014Our dinner was fantastic. We tried a variety of dishes, and each was beautifully presented and delicious. The service was phenomenal, fantastic attention to detail. Nightly recommended, and for the value, fairly priced.Special Features:
- Truly superlativeAnonymousVIPDined on 9/27/2014We are always seeking new places and new experiences, but this is the first restaurant where I felt I would go back to have the exact same meal. We actually made a meal of 5 appetizers, each being the best version of that dish we have experienced. Service was superlative - only complaint was that the 5 dishes all came out quite quickly all at the same time! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Perfect!AmandaBVIPDined on 9/27/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday here and were not disappointed. The restaurant itself is lovely - quietly elegant without being stuffy or pretentious. The hostess and waitstaff are welcoming and friendly. The food was absolutely delicious and stunning to look at. The duck confit was my favorite appetizer (melt in your mouth), although the crab tortellini and french onion soup were also very good. My halibut main course was absolute perfection. Although the portions do not look large they are actually quite generous and all of us were comfortably full. This is definitely a special occasion restaurant, but I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends and family.Special Features:
- FabulousJamesWVIPDined on 9/27/2014Everything we ordered was exquisite; have been many times, every time has been a winner. Very hard to beat the level of quality of this place, from excellent food, service and serene ambiance.Special Features:
- Great dinner overallWorldtravelerDined on 9/26/2014We took our daughter there for a nice dinner during parent's weekend at college. It is a small but nice place. The menu was inventive and yet with classic French (and some Italian!) dishes. The waitstaff was good, young, but not impeccable. The wine list is good, but only once were our wine glasses refilled. The food was very good to excellent, if some dishes were perhaps a bit light on the portion size. The "9 hour" French onion soup was well done and served are a temperature that you could actually consume, a welcome difference. The tagliatelle was flavorful. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is a wonderful restaurant specializing in modern French & Continental cuisine, matched by beautiful decor, wine list and service. The duo of Carpaccio and Beef Tartare, as well as the coriander crusted Tuna were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faiservice great foodHenryVIPDined on 9/25/2014The service experience by server was poor..the food although quite good was also sparse from a portion size. We left hungrySpecial Features:
- Lovely take on French diningbirthdayboycelebrationsDined on 9/25/2014Knowledgeable serving staff helped us to decide what to eat - excellent choices for both of us. I had the beets and the halibut, both fabulous. My lovely husband (whose birthday we were celebrating) went for Tortellini and duck. I don't think either of us has ever tried duck more tender (cooked sous vide - I asked). For desserts we went chocolatey. I had the chocolate and raspberry dessert and husband had the chocolate brownie option. Both amazing, as were the chocolate and macaroons we were offered with the bill. The Sommelier offered us excellent advice and we settled on a very fine Sancerre to drink, which complemented both our meals. I would definitely visit Deuxave again if I were visiting Boston in future.Special Features: