Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar
129 East Butler Avenue
Ambler, PA 19002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dettera.com/
- Phone: 2156430111x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Light Menu: Tuesday -Saturday 4:00pm - 5:00pm
Friday and Saturday 10:00pm -11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Power
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: ANNOUNCING CATERING BY DETTERA!
Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar now prouldy provides catering! Enjoy all of the dishes you love catered anywhere you need. Have an upcoming special event? Leave all the work to us. We are featuring menus for any occasion including: Weddings, Birthday Parites, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Baby/Wedding Showers, Cocktail/Dinner Parties, Outdoor Events, Holiday Parties, Business Meetings, Brunch, and More!
Check out a sample menu @http://www.dettera.com/announcement.php?id=86
- Private Party Facilities: Beautiful second floor available with service bar, lounge, and fire place.
- Private Party Contact: Joseph Malosh 2156430111x
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR!
Tuesday - Friday 5pm-7pm, offering 1/2 Price Specialty Cocktails, $3 Draft Beers, $5 Sobieski Martinis, Cosmopolitans and Gimlets and $5 Glasses of Wine at the bar! Buck a Shuck Oysters on Wednesdays 5pm-7pm at the bar!
A word from Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar
DETTERA restaurant and wine bar brings sophisticated dining to downtown Ambler. Merging progressive American cuisine with wine bar chic in a beautifully restored, historic building offering upscale casual dining on an outside deck with a brick fireplace, a first floor dining level open to a curving black granite bar with over-sized round banquettes. The second floor dining room offers a relaxed atmosphere with pillow filled banquettes, a romantic fireplace, and a beautiful view of the Ambler theater. Wine selection offers over 50 wines by the glass and more than 200 by the bottle. The menu puts a heavy focus on seasonality, sustainability, and the sourcing of locally farmed produce. DETTERA also maintains their own herb and spice garden daily. A great find for that special dining occasion or even light fare and a glass of wine after the theater.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Ambler ›
Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (49)notable wine list (44)great for outdoor dining (36)romantic (27)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (14)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We experienced Dettera for the first time and it was a pleasant surprise. The food was superb from salad to dessert. The entire staff was prompt and courteous. Even thought the menu was not extensive, there was a great variety from which to choose. I felt it was a bit over priced across the board. It will have to be a special event before we will plan to go back, but look forward to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tasting Menu Requires More...AmblerDinerDined on 10/18/2014We love to bring guests to Dettera for dinner. The food is great and is usually a great experience, not this time. Our table of three decided to do the fun tasting menu. We should have been leary from the start when the waitress didn't know that there is a wine paring available with the tasting menu. Our plates and wine glasses were dumped in front of us with no explanation of what we were eating, where the wine came from etc. If we were lucky a mumbled, usually mispronounced name was was given, no location or type. A lot of the price justification of a tasting menu is the experience of eating something new, for us it was eating something unknown. I feel like we were robbed of half the experience. No excuse for this level of service.Special Features:
- belleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Steaks were succulent, cooked just right. The beet salad with bacon was spectacular. Good service. We were seated next to the bar, and it was very noisy.Special Features:
- Food quality level has dropped.Love2dineDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I used to visit this restaurant frequently and we ordered some of our favorite dishes. The tuna tartare was a strange color and almost flavorless like it was prepared way in advance. We each had a different fish and they were only ok and they had the same sauce. It tasted like they lost their chef and the new one is just going through the motions.
- Great for Date NightDicer72Dined on 10/3/2014My wife and I went to Dettera on a date. It was a fantastic choice. It is a bit pricey, but the food was very good, and the wine we picked with the help of our waitress was a great choice. I recommend this to anyone looking for a nice place to eat with a romantic vide.Special Features:
- Ambler Dettera a Special Treat!AngelicaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Dettera forever surprises the desire for excellent gourmet selections! I love the changes in the menu from season to season. This time my friend enjoyed their delicious Pumpkin Soup with brown bread delivered by a teapot poured over the soup! Yes! For starters I enjoyed the Hand Rolled Ricotta Cavatelli which was enhanced by Butternut Squash, Pumpkin Seeds, Sage and Goat Cheese. For entrees, we enjoyed Grilled Albacore Tuna and Grilled Scottish Salmon. Wines at Happy Hour 1/2 price were great! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GREAT place!JB2PDined on 9/30/2014I would probably recommend Dettera for all the options/occasions listed above but we only went for our anniversary dinner so I have not had brunch, taken the kids, etc. - but I will! The outdoor seating by the fireplace was gorgeous, the food was delicious and the service was perfect. Can't say enough good things about it, just wish that I had found it sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Dettera!disbooDined on 9/25/2014We just had the Thursday night prix fixe dinner - 3 courses for $29 plus $5 glasses of wine. I had delicious polenta with mushrooms to start. They were creamy and intense, with slices of hearty mushrooms. Beautiful. My main was roasted chicken with roasted parsnips on a bed of butternut puree and natural jus. The chicken was semi-boneless, moist, tender, and flavorful. The parsnips were perfect, and the natural jus pulled all the elements together. My dessert was pumpkin stuffed doughnuts with salted caramel ice cream. The doughnuts were light, the pumpkin smooth with just the right amount of sweetness, and the ice cream was sweet and very caramelly. Service was friendly and outstanding. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Tasting MenuPhillyMomDined on 9/19/2014Dettera prepares local products with care. We enjoyed the tasting menu because it allowed us to sample so many different dishes. In the future I would like to try the vegetable tasting menu because they handle produce so well.Special Features:
- Disappointing dinnerSuzESDined on 9/13/2014While the setting is inviting, it was rather chilly in the restaurant. We were impressed by the wine list, but our waiter knew little about any of our selections. I would have thought the waiter would be better prepared. Two members of our party ordered the special panzanella salad and both were unhappy. It was a small portion and the croutons were way too hard. The rainbow trout was good. The ny strip was just OK as were the special agnolotti. We ordered espresso martinis for dessert. The bartender needs lessons on them. So, while it wasn't a horrible dinner, we won't be going back. Too much money for just a fair meal.Special Features:
- Quiet outdoor spotEatoutoftenVIPDined on 9/12/2014Squeezed between two buildings is a quiet outdoor dining area that is decorated with subtle style. It is a really nice little spot to dine al fresco in Ambler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much BUTTERPeteDined on 8/30/2014Our recent experience at Dettera was 'mixed'. On the plus side, we had good service from the waiter (Mike). The salads were great, and we liked the wine we ordered, despite the prices. We were seated outside, on the sidewalk, at a bar table. I'm not sure why the hostess led us there, since we had a dinner reservation, but I regret not objecting (my wife said she liked it, because it reminded her of eating in Europe). The biggest problem was the excessive use of BUTTER. The 'pasta special', a meatball-stuffed ravioli, was literally SWIMMING in a pool of butter at least half an inch deep; it overwhelmed the dish. I'm not sure whether we'll go back to Dettera or not. Unfortunately this was a disappointing 26th wedding anniversary dinner.
- WowMarshaKVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went to Ambler to see a movie and made a reservation. Boy, am I ever happy I did!!!!! We opted for the tasting menu. What a phenomenal deal. They even allowed a substitution for the first course, as neither of us deal with oysters. Duck, octopus, pork, fish - you name it,we enjoyed it. And my favorite course....dessert...was the best. Our waitress was lovely. The wine list extremely interesting and well priced. Can't wait to try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to like this butLuv2dineoutDined on 8/23/2014I really wanted to like this restaurant. We had a great table: upstairs next to a window with a great view of the Main Street. Although it was raining the night I was there, they have this cute outdoor area that looks very inviting. The waiter was excellent. He really knew the menu and made a great recommendation on the wine, which was divine. But the food was just okay. It lacked any spark. It just wasn't worth the $$$. Everything we ordered, we've had much better else where.Special Features:
- SteveVIPDined on 8/16/2014We would visit this restaurant more often, however, the menu is limited and leaves much to desired.Special Features:
- sashiDined on 8/15/2014This was our second visit and the service, wine and food were fantastic. We are definitely fans!Special Features:
- seasonings not quite rightpassion4eatingDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I attended the price fixed Thurs. night menu. Restaurant was not especially crowded. It was very cold, despite frequent promises to adjust the air conditioning. I found my chicken to be extremely tender (almost too tender), but bland. The salad was nicely dressed, but small, and several of the meager portion of tomatoes were over ripe. My husband enjoyed his salmon, but found the seasonings on the rice to be "weird". Desserts were yummy. Service was quite attentive.Special Features:
- Great spot for "date night"pam225Dined on 8/12/2014We went for Small Plate Tuesday. Great opportunity to try various things off the menu. Our server, Jana, was awesome and very informative. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Just goodpcinamblerDined on 8/9/2014I wanted to love this place. Admittedly, I liked it. The outdoor dining area in the "alley" between buildings is lovely when the temperature is pleasant. Service is professional and efficient. And the food is really pretty good as well as artfully presented. But my husband and I left feeling a wee bit hungry after the testing menu. It's not that we expect big portions at a nice restaurant. But, for $50/person, I want to feel that I've dined sufficiently. Or that the food is so amazing, you'd want more, no matter what. Nope. I went home and ate a popsicle...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DetteraKMPicksVIPDined on 8/8/2014I had no idea what a treat I was in for at Dettera. The menu was full of choices fit for foodies. Since we couldn't decide what to get we got the tasting menu - I got the meat and my husband got the vegetarian. It's hard to say who got the better meal - they were both delicious and presented beautifully. Kudos for featuring local produce and wine! We will most certainly be back!Special Features:
- elkinsparkeaterselkinsparkeatersDined on 8/5/2014Uniformly really good food. Interesting menu selections. competent/friendly/knowledgeable wait staff. Run very well. We love this place and return often. Would be a hit in the hub of the Philly food scene, and we are fortunate to have this restaurant in the thinly served western suburbs. Go and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plate NightAndyeVIPDined on 8/5/2014Dined at Deterra this Tuesday and sampled several of the small plate items. The portions were very small, only 2 agnolotti per portion, tiny cup of gazpacho, a few beets. But the quality of the food was terrific. The duck, salmon, and dorado were delicious. I recommend this to sample the great food at Deterra. However, they should increase the portion size of the cheap stuff, like the gapacho, beets and agnolotti (come on guys, $5 for less than a half cup of soup???). Our server was delightful, and several other servers attended to our needs. They really know how to treat their customers. I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- FabulousDCBostonVIPDined on 7/26/2014Everything about this experience was wonderful. Joely, our waitress, was the right amount of attentive and bubbly. The wine list was fantastic. The appetizers (octopus, chilled leek soup, and beef special), the entrees (Hanger Steak especially), and desserts (chocolate pate, fresh berries, and peach cobbler) were fantastic. And the lighting is just dim enough. The booths are comfortable. And it is right across the street from the Ambler Theater. That will make for a great date night the next time we come through... which will hopefully be soon. HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:
- Dettera Amblerkernal24Dined on 7/25/2014Food and presentation were good, noise level moderate from music over speakers. Price should be listed as $$$ not $$.Special Features:
- Ambler GemelkinsparkeatersDined on 7/24/2014Dettera has become one of our suburban favorites. Now that have their special $29.00 pre fix menu, we are able to go there more often. Their wine list is notable and selection of wines by the glass are also special. The decor is lovely and creates a beautiful ambience which makes us feel like "dressing" for dinner. The chef prepares his dishes with a great deal of thought that pleases the palate. This restaurant is clearly a notch above the usual fare and is sure to delight the "gourmet diner". I have ordered a variety of selections and have never been disappointed. Save room for desert!Special Features:
- ONE OF OUR FAVORITES!MikeDined on 7/19/2014We took advantage of Dettera's Ambler Restaurant Week special and were not disappointed. My wife and daughter enjoyed their seafood special which was durade and I took advantage of their slow cooked pork loin, both of which were absolutely wonderful. The dessert, a very rich, but just the right size, chocolate volcano cream, was fantastic and the peach cobbler was perfect. This is the 4th time we've been to Dettera and every time it's been fantastic. This has become on of our favorite places to go in Amber. You can have an inexpensive pizza (which is great) or a high-end several course meal with wine and both experiences are great. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingredsoxVIPDined on 7/19/201410/10 for the food quality and preparation..exceeded our expectations and the peach cobbler for dessert was incredibleSpecial Features:
- Ambler GemelkinsparkeatersDined on 7/18/2014For a neighborhood restaurant the food is exceptional. Worthy of a five star rating. The bar, the service the variety of foods is wonderful. The food from the dinner menu is notable. We return to this restaurant often if we want excellent food and a dining experience. The preparation of the dishes are artful with unique and always delicious. One of the few places where I feel comfortable ordering things I might not ordinarily eat, and I am always happy! Our grandchildren went wild when they tasted the deserts! (They live in France) . Declared the best they ever tasted! Now that's a compliment!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fix MenuGwyneddDined on 7/10/2014Great time for a Thursday night with excellent food. Love the new Fix Price Menu on Thursday Night....will be back for more.Special Features:
- Tuesday Small PlatesSteveVIPDined on 7/8/2014This week we really enjoyed the small plate menu and $30/bottle wine selections. We each ordered 4 plates (7 separate selections) and all were very good. We did choose a winner in the cavatelli with fresh corn and a bit of goat cheese. Do try Dettera and their innovative menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters were stellar!SandyDined on 7/5/2014wine list is impressive, and our raw oysters were absolutely memorable. They have some unique combinations. It was a pleasant night out.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceIwasjustokDined on 6/28/2014When I made our reservation I mentioned we would be celebrating out anniversary and after we were seated, the manager brought my wife and I two complementary flutes of champaign; unexpected and nice. Nick our server knew his bar and food menu well and did and excellent job recommending cocktails and guiding us through the food selections. We enjoyed the tasting menu, which gave us a chance to try items we normally wouldn't. The Spanish octopus and the hand made Pappardelle pasta were wonderful, the trout was perfectly cooked, the duck was succulent and left both of us eager for more. My wife wouldn't share the hand rolled donut which was fine because I wasn't sharing the chocolate pate. Outstanding experience; we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentTravelerVIPDined on 6/26/2014They first tried to seat us upstairs, between two huge parties, with an unbearable noise level. We would have been the only persons dining in the upstairs except for the two huge parties at either end. We requested to be seated elsewhere and three of us were wedged onto a table sized for only two outside. Fortunately the food was very good, and the waiter excellent. We all ordered from the tasting menu, with two of us ordering the same thing. When comparing the two same dishes it was obvious they were plated differently with one having asparagus and the other not. This is our third, and last, visit to Dettera. At each visit we either have had slow service, poor seating, or inconsistently prepared food.
- The following 798 reviews are from the Dettera Restaurant & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Great Late Brunch Spotrcb67Dined on 6/22/2014We celebrated our 46th anniversary with a late brunch at Dettera's. Our server was delightful, and the food was exceptional. The gazpacho (poured at tableside over shrimp and an avocado puree) was the best we have ever had. The steak frites was both exceptionally tasty and a real bargain. The lemon ginger sorbet was bracing and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGinnyDined on 6/21/2014Food was wonderful. Have to come back and try other entreesSpecial Features:
- LuluDined on 6/21/2014We dined at Deterra to celebrate a birthday. The food was fresh and creative. We loved everything we ordered and had an excellent meal. The waitress was very attentive, knew the menu and was able to make suggestions. Jolie was exceptional! When I made the reservation, I mentioned the birthday celebration and we appreciated the table by the window. We enjoyed our experience at Deterra.Special Features:
- great foodshortie2Dined on 6/19/2014the food was excellent as was the service, the nightly specials are exceptionalSpecial Features:
- wonderful food, service & ambianceDonnaDined on 6/15/2014We had Father's Day brunch at Deterra. Our server was friendly and prompt. the red wine Sangria was generous and delicious. Our omelets were tasty. We sat outside in the alley, where we love the ambiance. We have been to Dettera's a number of times and we love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great wine, great valueMK16VIPDined on 6/12/2014Why go into Philly? Great restaurant with creative, delicious food and an amazing wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJimGDined on 6/12/2014My husband and I took my son and his girlfriend to celebrate his 23rd birthday. We had reservations and were seated by the upstairs window, which was a perfect location. The service was outstanding as was the food - hanger steak was perfect, Tile fish was amazing, the pasta special incredible. Thanks for a very memorable night!Special Features: