Detroit Seafood Market
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Detroit Seafood Market
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dsmnow.com/
- Phone: 3139624180
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Leonardo Vulja
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Weekly Jazz entertainers, Martini Mondays, and special event as advertised.
A word from Detroit Seafood Market
Welcome to Detroit"s premier Seafood Market. Our restaurant specializes in serving fresh and exciting entries that will not only excite the eyes but tantalize the taste buds. Our Chef is the renowned Chef Leonardo Vulja, who has over 25 years of fine dining experience. The restaurant itself sits in the Historic District of Harmonie Park. It is a quaint yet alive park which sits less than a mile from the Tiger Stadium and Lions Stadium. We are also position with in two to three miles of all major downtown venues. We are excited to offer a more laid back venue adjacent to the restaurant the Detroit Seafood Lounge. This is a smooth, laid back lounge for the Young, Old and Sexy. Just the place to head to for an after work drink or a relaxing weekend with friends. We look forward to you experience service at its best. So please come join us at the Detroit Seafood Market or Share a Drink at the Seafood Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Detroit Seafood Market - Best Restaurants in Detroit ›
Detroit Seafood Market reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (45)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (25)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (14)notable wine list (14)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (4)Show More
- ??????OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I was a little disappointed. I have received positive feedback about the restaurant but was disappointed. I had two martinis and one was served in a plastic glass. I asked that my steak be cooked medium and it was medium well. The desserts were terrible. The consistency in the lemon pie was completely off and the chocolate cake was not decadent. Our waiter was the bright spot of the evening because the food certainly was not.
- Plan ahead...crazy4sushiDined on 9/20/2014I visited the restaurant for restaurant week in April & had an awesome experience with a friend. The food & environment were great & because we made a reservation we were seated immediately. The experience was so great, we decided to visit again for restaurant week for my friend's birthday. We made a reservation & followed the same routine as the previous visit. However, this time we had to wait 45 minutes beyond our reservation time (we arrived 15 minutes early, so a total wait time of an hour, but I don't count our early arrival against them). The hostess & waiter were short and a bit rude, possibly because the restaurant was busy, but that's not our fault & it ruined our dining experience. Don't know if we will be going back anytime soon
- Overall not pleasedPassionateGourmetGirlDined on 9/20/2014I am VERY disappointed with my dining experience at Detroit Seafood Market. I took my nieces and nephew to this restaurant for Detroit Restaurant Week. The restaurant turns into a club at 11:30 pm, which we were not made aware of and we were asked to leave because our table had been "bought" in preparation for the club scene. This was after spending over $350.00 dining and leaving over a 25% tip. I was insulted and very displeased. I usually enjoy dining here, but I won't be in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- So DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I had a very disappointing return to Detroit Seafood Market. What had been an elegant fine dining establishment a few years ago is now lit like a grocery store with staff shouting at one another, including the manager constantly shout to bus staff which table to clear and set up next. It took 30 minutes to get a cocktail from the disorganized bar and I ended up drinking water with my dinner instead of the wine that I ordered. It came later. The lobster bisque was barely warm, but at least the trout was tasty. It was the only redeeming feature in an otherwise dismal experience.
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014The food was the best! The customer service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great optionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I really enjoy the restaurant week options. However the mixed seasonal veges were terrible. In the future just broc or glazed carrots would be a better option. Very loud, but they were very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A downtown Detroit GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014The service and the food here is excellent They pay special attention to details. I always look forward to dining hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDukeDined on 9/13/2014Came here on a recommendation from a friend for dinner for my 45th birthday before we went to the Tigers game. Food was very good, our server was FANTASTIC and very attentive. My wife enjoyed the fried lobster tails very much and I thought the seafood paella was very good. Appetizer, bottle of wine, main course, dessert, with 20% tip, out for a buck and a half, good value.Special Features:
- Dinning mid-to-high end Soul FoodpleasantchewDined on 9/7/2014The food was very good, and the selection covered a great deal of Soul Food favorites.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Food was delicious and had artistic appeal. The booths are secluded and have drapes. A nice touch. perfect for couples.Special Features:
- Detroit Seafood Mkt was just goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014While the food was delicious and the entertainment great, the demeanor of the person waiting on our table was short and abrupt, unfortunately ruining the the entire experience. I don't think that our party of four will be back any time soon.Special Features:
- AwesomekelsDined on 8/31/2014I love this place. The food is good and service is outstanding! you cannot not go wrong. Brunch is awesome.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!AwesomeDined on 8/30/2014This was my first time at the Detroit Seafood Market and I brought a guest with me from out of town and we both enjoyed the experience. The food was great as well as the service. I'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant unfortunately is a little off the beaten path, but well worth the effort to find it.Special Features:
- Great Evening!!raymieDined on 8/28/2014The service at Detroit Seafood Market is always topnotch, but this evening -- a Thursday in August 2014 -- it was spectacular. Our waiter seemed to respond to out conversation, almost as if he was listening in with the NSA. His anticipation was amazing, and he offered suggestions which were interesting. Another waiter chatted with us a bit, and two other staff members were friendly and helpful when I got up to head to the restroom (I was using a cane and they pointed me to a restroom I didn't know the place had which was much closer). The care the entire staff showed was greatly appreciated. I had a Delmonico steak, side of scallops and asparagus. Too much food for me -- and I can eat a LOT. Perfect medium-rare and tasty.Special Features:
- Better daysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014I went for lunch. No hostess, no wait staff. Finally, 3-5 mins we were approached & seated. No bread? Food is good but it took almost 25 mins for lunch menu items to be served AND there was only a couple of patrons. Why so long? I've been there several times for lunch now & each luncheon experience becomes less enjoying. I won't be back.
- Flavor NeededMrsMomDined on 8/23/2014The Kenny's Personal Favorite dish was horrible! The beef was bland, and too spicey. The meal was seasoned with hot pepper flakes. YUK. Also the lobster Mac and cheese was fishy. The fried lobster was good.Special Features:
- wonderful! !!vickigDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I came here before a concert downtown. The food is wonderful! We had the lobster mac and cheese for an appetizer which came out quickly and it was so good with large pieces of lobster! I ordered the surf and turf and the steak was like cutting thru butter it was so tender! My husband had the seafood Alfredo and he says best he ever had! The atmosphere of the restaurant just added to a wonderful time! I have already recommended this place to several of my friends and family! We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great spot for lunch. You can still order from dinner menu but avoid the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is There a Real Chef in the House?LovetoeatVIPDined on 8/22/2014Let me first say that the service was great. Our waitress was very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. We sat outside on the patio, the weather was perfect and the nose level was moderate and very relaxing. Great spot to people watch. About the food, I had wings and my husband had calamari. The food was not fresh. It all taste like it came out of a bag from GFS and that was required was some heat. I thought I was getting a good portion of wings but it turns out there was a mountain of re-fried really greasy and soggy french fries under the wings. The calamari was tubular.... Never seen a squid shaped like that before. In short, the food left something to be desired.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Waiter, Benny was very attentive and engaging. Manager and hostess were very responsive and recognized my reservation right away. Excellent Florida snapper, Great Scallops all well prepared and the lobster corndogs (tempura) was a nice startSpecial Features:
- Consistent and differentafoodiefavoriteDined on 8/16/2014The menu is interesting, with lobster corndog appetizer, and different by offering fresh seafood in the Midwest. I can count on a consistently satisfying experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014We had a great night! And thanks to Kelvin, who was our amazing server, we had a fabulous bottle of wine with our dinner! Would go back again absolutely!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening.diner123Dined on 8/9/2014Dinner was great! The wait staff were very good! We also liked the way the seating was arranged, with wide comfortable booths that allowed for either privacy or sitting side by side with views of the outside. There were only a couple of things that could be improved upon. The bathrooms were not as clean and nice as you would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. The cheap snacks for sale on the counters was very tacky! And employees began stacking tables and chairs and washing windows in front of us while dinner was still going on! This should be saved for after closing time. While the dinner was wonderful, it was not cheap, and when you are spending that much for a meal these other factors should be a given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood SelectionsServiceVPDined on 8/6/2014I spent a week in Detroit and being from the east coast I was craving seafood. I found the Detroit Seafood market online after a quick search and was impressed with the menu offerings. Made reservations for six of us for a late lunch and the food was absolutely outstanding! Service was very attentive and overall a great find in Detroit! I returned two days later with my wife for a quiet dinner and was even more impressed with the night time menu and service. Food was great again!Special Features:
- good for parrotheadsKikoDined on 7/26/2014Second time we've dined at DSM before going to Margaritaville. Excellent seafood to put you in the mood for Jimmy Buffett.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayTbattersVIPDined on 7/26/2014We chose this restaurant based on location and previous ratings. I'm a foodie and I found that it was just mediocre. There were very few people there, so it was very quiet. We just ordered appetizers. Lobster Mac&Cheese was a glorified kraft M&C with lobster in it and it was all dried out. I don't recommend it. The Lobster corn dogs were good as well as the calamari. I can't speak for the men's restroom, but he ladies room was dirty and the floor was sticky. No excuse for dirty bathrooms especially when there was no one there.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Great customer service! Food was excellent! Parking was a little rough, but was worth it.Special Features:
- Spectacular EveningJJCJDined on 7/25/2014This was a wonderful experience. We were very impressed by the ambience & decor of the restaurant and our reservation was on time. The menu had so many great selections to choose from and everything we ordered was great, except the crab cakes. We had sea bass, stuffed salmon, paella, lamb chops, it was delicious. We had small children with us and there were options for them, the service was impeccable and our waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu. Our desserts were even good and we normally don't order the sweets. We had a great time and would recommend again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovebirdDined on 7/21/2014I had a great dining experience. My husband & I were celebrating our 24th Wedding Anniversary. The atmosphere was very romantic. The food was very good. The entertainment was very enjoyable. Our waiter was very attentive to our needs and very friendly. This was our first time dining there, but we will definitely dine there again. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to family & friends.Special Features:
- Great dinnerJT22Dined on 7/19/2014Service was great, the food was very good, I had the Florida Snapper with the crab meat and it was excellent. Decent wine selection as well.Special Features:
- Great Service and AmbienceHabsFan64Dined on 7/13/2014I made reservations here because it is 2 blocks from the Detroit Opera House, and my wife and I only had an hour and fifteen minutes to spare before a show. I told our waitress this, and we were done our meal with several minutes to spare. The oysters on the half shell was an excellent starter, and the drinks were great (Long Island ice tea and watermelon v martini). Warm buns with butter were a wonderful touch. I ordered the seafood paella for the main course and it was plentiful, well balanced, and flavorful. My wife's macadamia encrusted mahi was rather bland and overpriced for the portion. Also, she ordered the salsa on the side, but it was on top of the mahi. Overall, it was a good experience, and I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickelballDined on 7/13/2014The food was excellent. Asked the waiter for water.......still waiting.........twiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food, Excellent ServiceNaomiVIPDined on 7/12/2014One of my new favorite fine dining spots. The seafood is excellent! The food is HOT and DELICIOUS! The waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly. A great night out, especially with the live music.Special Features:
- LML1181Dined on 7/11/2014Did not enjoy this experience. Food was way overpriced for what we received (3 courses). All members of my group agreed that we would not return. Additionally, we were asked over 4 times by the same hostess if we had checked in yet. I never left her sight near the hostess stand and the area had 1 other couple. I appreciate being asked but it definitely made us feel like we weren't notableSpecial Features:
- Worst dining in DetroitDetroiterDined on 7/11/2014The service for food and drinks was terrible-- slow and incorrect. Ordered the ribeye cooked medium and it came well done, and didn't have time to correct it since it took so long to be delivered. The drink glasses are plastic?!?! Beyond tacky. Especially when you are paying $13 for a drink! The other dishes we ordered were all also overcooked and not properly priced for the quality.
- Other reviews are spot on.highexpectationsDined on 7/11/2014In your previous reviews, many diners indicated that they got their meals before they were finished with their appetizers/first course, and that happened with us. I also saw a couple of other tables experience the same. While that's not horrible, it does make you feel rushed, especially when you are trying to have a date night dinner. Also thought it was a little tacky to serve a $13 martini in a plastic glass. However, my husband really enjoyed the stuffed salmon, his drink was generously poured and the desserts were both excellent. I had the bacon wrapped scallops, and they were a little too bacon-y for me. Should have chosen something else.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was ForgottenCookie49Dined on 7/10/2014We were a group of four and was seated promptly at our reservation. We ordered a bottle of wine which was quickly left at our table, ( no glasses and was warm.) 15 min later glasses were brought and the very slightly chilled wine ,( in a chiller container,) was poured and orders were taken. Apps & rolls arrived soon & dinner only after reminding we had show tickets. Nobody came to ask about our food and we had to flag down someone to get our dessert and again for the bill. Ordered molten lave cake & another item was brought. No time to complain. We left our payment & tip on the table as nobody came to get it. Barely made it to the show. Should of had plenty of time.Special Features:
- Really nice dinnerAHR2014Dined on 7/10/2014Came here for a nice dinner before a concert. We had great service and the food was awesome. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPunxygirl39Dined on 7/10/2014This was my 3rd. trip. Had not been there in about a year. Wonder if they changed chefs? Had an early dinner, stayed for a short time to listen to great jazz group. One of my party had a dietary problem & they were very accommodating. The other ordered the perch piccata which had at least 4 c. cooked jasmine rice! She took home some, ate some, and had them throw out at least 1 c; what a waste. I had the calamari which I enjoyed, however my salmon salad came with wilted mixed greens which could have been caused by the dressing being put on too early or they were not fresh greens. I should have returned it. My Bad! Also we had to ask for our bread basket. If I return it will be for the jazz, drinks & the calamari. Might try brunch?