32769 Northwestern Highway
Farmington Hills, MI 48334Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mattprenticeculinaryexperience.com/Detroit_Prime.html
- Phone: 2487379600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Corporate Chef Travis Waynick
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: If nostalgia is the right ingredient for your party, Detroit Prime is the spot for you! Buyouts are available for this 1940's rendition of Downtown Detroit which can hold up to 250 guests. This is the perfect spot for a Corporate event!
- Special Events: New Year's Eve Celebration
Ladies night out, 1/2 off drinks for ladies all night long, feature appetizers, giveways, champagne toast at midnight, starting at 5 pm
A word from Detroit Prime
Detroit Prime is a tribute to Detroit's heritage, including memories of yesteryear as well as today. Vignettes pay homage to Boblo Island, the Detroit Boat Club, Tiger Stadium, Hudson's, Motown's Hitsville USA, Vernors®, Henry the Hatter, the Belle Isle Conservatory and Stroh's, among others in Karen's dazzling design. Chef Travis' menu focuses on USDA Prime value cuts such as Skirt Steak, Culottes, Baseball Tops, Short Ribs, Hanger Steak, Tournedos and Brisket. These cuts will be paired with both creative and classic steakhouse side dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Detroit Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was ok and the serviceDomiDined on 2/9/2013The food was ok and the service was great. I would suggest the filet but they were out of prime rib which is why we went there. If you have a groupon I would go but if not it's not worth the money.Special Features:
- out of Prime Rib at 7pm onJoaniDined on 2/9/2013out of Prime Rib at 7pm on a Saturday night. Poor presentation of food. Tasted good but looked like a piece of meat thrown on plate-no garnish, vegetable served separately.
- Horrible service for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Will not go again. Average age per customer - 50. Average price per entree - 25. If I'm going to spend $55 on an 18-oz ribeye, this place is definitely NOT on my list. No one arrived at our table for 15 minutes until the manager asked for our drinks (probably because he noticed we were not served yet). Our waiter stopped by for a second to ask drinks right after and said he'd be back but never did. The waiter only had 4 tables (10 patrons total) to take care of so I'm not sure what the problem was. No refills on drinks ever came throughout the night except from the busboy once with water. After dinner, it took 20 minutes for the bill which we had to ask from the busboy again because no one ever checked on us. Good luck, not good.
- Not Fine Dining but Good FoodKatmandu13Dined on 2/9/2013Food was good. Service was good. I would recommend an early seating as things seemed hectic as the restaurant filled up. It's a very busy place so if you are looking for ambience this is not your place. We were looking for a romantic Valentine's dinner so this didn't fit the bill but we had a very nice dinner and didn't linger which i am sure was their goal. We like to 'dine' and didn't feel like this restaurant accomplished this for us even though the menu suggests sophistication. We won't be back.Special Features:
- not impressed. Service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2013not impressed. Service was incredibly slow. prime rib was just ok. wouldn't go back.
- Neighborhood GenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013I have eaten at your restaurant at least 4 times and the food is consistently good. The wait staff has always been top notch, very accomodating. It's a great atmosphere, easy to have a conversation and relax. Our only complaint on Friday was that the prime rib was luke warm.Special Features:
- Detroit Prime Gets Better & BetterMsDineOutAlotDined on 2/6/2013The ever-changing menu continues to improve - the addition of the PB&J and Meatloaf slider appetizers makes it a great choice for Happy Hour! Scottish Salmon dish is amazing! and the Pot 'd creme, well, it just doesn't get much better. Went on a "tap takeover" night with great beer sampler from Rochester Mills/Brewing - sorry can't remember exactly - great idea.Special Features:
- This restaurant doesn't knowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/6/2013This restaurant doesn't know what it wants to be. The space and the atmosphere say family or chain restaurant, but the menuAnd prices say fine dining. The chicken Marsala wasInedible and the prime rib was tasty but the thinnest pieceOf meat I've ever seen. Will not be back!!
- Meat eaters delightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2013Wonderful beef! All courses were exceptional right thru to dessert The food was very good and the service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Not what I was expecting!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 2/5/2013Not exactly what I expected or hoped for. With a name like Detroit Prime and Prime Rib on the menu I was expecting something special. Well, the Prime Rib was below average. I was served a thin (12 oz), gray piece of meat barely warm. I was hoping for the kind of presentation and flavor I used to get at Mountain Jacks but that wasn't in the offing. Also, the place is supposed to be representative of Detroit but curiously lacked two of the main features of the city THE MUSIC AND THE CARS! Not one hint of Motown played over the house system instead a banal blend of acoustic impressions of some hits from yesterday and not one reference to cars in the whole place. If you carved out some old cars and used them for dining areas it would be a hit!
- With nobody in the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/5/2013With nobody in the restaurant on a Tuesday night, will it still be in business in 6 months? I doubt it.Special Features:
- My husband and I thoroughlyMB100Dined on 2/2/2013My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It tasted great and was presented well. That being said, we thought the atmosphere was not appropriate for a restaurant where you can easily spend over a $100 on a dinner for two. The staff was dressed very casually and the ambiance was lacking. It was also very bright in the restaurant for an evening steak dinner. Although we enjoyed the food, we'd prefer to spend the same amount at another steakhouse with a more upscale/exciting atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food was generally uninspired...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/2/2013Food was generally uninspired... prime rib was fatty and oddly sliced very thin, and baked potato was dense and flavorless. Steak and potato soup looked and tasted like it came out of a can of Campbell's. Crab cakes were tasty, however, and cranberry cheesecake was good.
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/27/2013Good food, great staff, quiet and Michigan beers on tap!Special Features:
- My first experience was notOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013My first experience was not that memorable. We took the chance and came back for a second visit and were extremely pleased! Service was great, food was good and overall it was a nice experience.
- MY WIFE AND I HAD THE HAMBURGEROpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013MY WIFE AND I HAD THE HAMBURGER AND IT WAS EXCELLENTSpecial Features:
- I was disappointed. My primeBillVIPDined on 1/26/2013I was disappointed. My prime rib was not tender. My wife said her chicken taste like it was microwaved and sauce place on top.
- Sundays at PrimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2013My Sundays at Prime... Second time there on a Sunday and everything was perfect. Food & Service was top notch. I enjoy watching the Manager and her staff Food was prepared perfectly. I will become a regular there on SundaysSpecial Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)EsteDined on 1/20/2013Must have been short of staff. Service was poor, very slow. Otherwise, I like the place.
- A casual restaurant with aOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/20/2013A casual restaurant with a different take on casual dining items - inventive.
- I enjoyed my 1st visit withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013I enjoyed my 1st visit with Detroit Prime.. Service & food were both excellent!!!!Special Features:
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013Food is very good. Not huge portions but plenty to fill you up. Tap beer is all from Michigan and switches out regularly. Try to go once a week! Check out groupon if you like many courses.Special Features:
- Drinks were very good butfoodieVIPDined on 1/18/2013Drinks were very good but the rest needs work. Food is not the best quality and the rigidity of the management needs to improve in order to keep the customers coming back.
- From reading about the restaurantmindaDined on 1/16/2013From reading about the restaurant online we were expecting a different atmosphere, not so casual.Special Features:
- I love the Scallops that areOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2013I love the Scallops that are on the menu....! The whole staff from Management to the Server Jane!! are wonderful... Kara and Matt the bartender/assistant are great.. Love this place!!Special Features:
- Detroit Prime has good foodClosetfoodieVIPDined on 1/12/2013Detroit Prime has good food and the Detroit themed decor is interesting. The beet salad is amazing and the ambiance is welcoming. You'll fit in here no matter who you are or what you are wearing.Special Features:
- Purchased a Groupon that includedLoveFoodDined on 1/12/2013Purchased a Groupon that included a fixed menu. The prime rib was fine and the chicken Marsala was ok, but overlooked. I enjoyed the historical Detroit memorabilia and the service was friendly and efficient. Maybe the traditional menu is better, but I'm not sure that I will take the chance.Special Features:
- Prime RibOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013My prime rib I ordered was tough and had no herb crust on it. I thought at Detroit Prime there meat would be excellent. I can make this at home and it tastes alot better. The waitress Jane was very attentive to us.Special Features:
- Food was not flavorful. IOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2013Food was not flavorful. I consumed chicken & mash, tried the rib eye and the lobster tail.
- We used a groupon and hadKrittaDined on 1/11/2013We used a groupon and had a seperate menu to choose from. The choices were limited and they were out of prime rib but offered two other steaks in place of the prime rib. The steaks were no comparrison to prime rib but were OK. Crab cakes were delicious and so was the cheesecake.Special Features:
- My wife and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013My wife and I had a great time. We arrived early and had a drink, our bartender was quite engaging. Dinner was most excellent, my wife enjoyed the flank steak, I was drawn to the bone-in ribeye and wasn't disappointed. But, what I'm still thinking about several days later is the Duck Confit salad. Oh yes, probably only meaningful to native Detroiters, but the ability to order a Faygo Rock and Rye in a glass bottle is a treat!Special Features:
- The staff was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2013The staff was very attentive always making sure we were enjoying our food. The food was prepared perfectly and presented very well on the plate from the appetizer to the dessert. The atmosphere was casual with some patrons being well dressed and others in jeans. Several tables included young children who seemed to enjoy themselves as much as the adults.Special Features:
- Prime rib was one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/5/2013Prime rib was one of the best my wife and I have had.Special Features:
- Great prix fixe menu...crabcakes,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2013Great prix fixe menu...crabcakes, ceasar salad, prime rib and cheese cake all were delicious!Special Features:
- Just ok. Not great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 1/3/2013Just ok. Not great service. Out of several wines selected off the menu. Very cute decor
- 1st Dining experience at Detroit5thSpiceDined on 12/31/20121st Dining experience at Detroit Prime. Upscale Casual Atmosphere, a good place to dine with friends. Food was tasty. The squash soup and Detroit Chop salad are excellent choices. Will try other menu items on next visit as they were quite interesting.
- Very good value for the money.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/31/2012Very good value for the money. Pleasant, relaxed atmosphere. Totally unpretentious. Great service.
- Even though it was New Year'sRairoadVIPDined on 12/31/2012Even though it was New Year's Eve, we were served 3 excellent meals (two had the same) by Kevin. I had Surf and Turf and enjoyed it. The value was also excellent We will return, as will our friends who joined us.Special Features:
- Good food. Out of severalBobRDined on 12/30/2012Good food. Out of several wines. Very slow & inconsistent service.
- Although I made the reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012Although I made the reservation for the wrong day the restuarant took me in EVEN on New Years Eve. I was intially hesitant in making the reservation because of a couple of negative reviews but my experience was only positive. The food was excellent and reasonably priced and the wait staff was very attentive. I am looking forward to my next visit.Special Features: