1815 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.destinosf.com/
- Phone: 4155524451
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Peruvian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: James Schenk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: CATERING SERVICES WITH LATIN FLAIR HOLIDAY PARTIES - FUNDRAISERS - CORPORATE EVENTS - BIRTHDAYS - REHEARSAL DINNERS Let us make your next occasion memorable at DESTINO, or at your home, office or other location. IN HOUSE OPTIONS ➢ Sit-down dinners of up to 65 people ➢ Cocktail receptions of up to 80 people CATERING OPTIONS ➢ Deliverable party platters or full service catering available ➢ Full bar service available at any location ➢ Customize every event to fit your needs APPETIZER & BUFFET MENUS @ WWW.DESTINOSF.COM for more info, please contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: James Schenk 4155524451
- Entertainment: We offer a great selection of Latin American music ranging from Salsa and Cumbia to Latin Pop and Top 40.
- Cross Street: Valencia
- Public Transit: F Trolley Line at the Guerrero stop. Closest Bart stop is Civic Center (about 10 minutes walking).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking is recommended. There is a pay parking lot on Valencia and Duboce (entrance is right underneath the freeway overpass).
A word from Destino
For 12 years, DESTINO has become a destination for South American cuisine in San Francisco! DESTINO focuses on Latin American small plates, with an emphasis on Peruvian. Connected next door to our sister business PISCO LATIN LOUNGE, DESTINO offers a wide selection of South American cocktails and wine. PISCO is the first Pisco bar in the United States and we offer a tremendous selection of Pisco, South American wines, and specialty liquors and aperitifs. The dining room features ornate "pan de oro" mirrors which convey a comfortable colonial cafe setting, recollecting the days of Hispanic yesteryears. Be it a romantic table for two, or group reservation, DESTINO is a perfect choice for a slice of San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Destino reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (12)good for groups (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great date spotScottDined on 7/30/2014The food is always good, and the service fantastic. The rustic Latin charm is romantic, and it's easy to talk to your date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely in my Top TenzestysfVIPDined on 7/24/2014In all the years we've been going there, the food and drink have been nothing but fabulous. Great in every way. Could easily eat at Destino's twice a week!Special Features:
- perfect serviceHonestACDined on 7/21/2014Service was flawless, cocktails, and food perfect! 'nough said! Highly recommend, especially with a date or significant other. During the week a couple hours before closing, the restaurant was quiet, I can't understand why, but turned out to be a perfect choice for the quiet, intimate and laid back atmosphere I was seeking.Special Features:
- D to the Lish!smkarizonaVIPDined on 6/8/2014Went on a whim Sunday evening. Not crowded (but should be). Hubby had the SF Dining Around menu and really hit the jackpot. Service was attentive, but not cloying. My scallops were expertly prepared, lovely to behold and super yummy. My chicha morada was good (although it was a fairly small portion for the price) and his sangria was also good (but small). The rice pudding I had for dessert was perfection. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- It was ... OKPersnipityDined on 6/1/2014Small plates are SMALL, I'd suggest at least 3 per person. At at least $12 a plate that begins to get a little pricey. I wasn't overly impressed with any of the dishes.Special Features:
- Perfect to be on your go to listEthansfDined on 5/26/2014Food is reliably good. Space gives a lot of elbow room. Bar adjacent to it is convenient for waiting. Parking is relatively easy. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!XoxoDined on 5/4/2014Let me start by saying, Hector our waiter originally from Honduras made the evening perfect. I have to admit the meal we enjoyed at Destino surpassed the deliciousness of the wonderful food we had at the finer restaurants while traveling in S. America primarily in Chile. The ceviche was beyond anything I've every experiences and the plantain chips complimented it perfectly. We split all of the tapas we ordered including the scallops (amazing, melt in your mouth), salmon (very good but other items even better), the chili relleno was by far the best I've ever had, filled with subtle, fresh flavors and ingredients. All complimented with crisp Chilean wine. Although we were more than satisfied, we split the creamy rice pudding and loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Good Gilt CityMandarinaDined on 5/2/2014We bought a Gilt City Voucher with a Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings. It was absolutely GREAT and we recommend this restaurant for sure to anybody who likes to eat and Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- destino delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I've been on 3 different occasions. It has never disappointed me!! The food is scrumptious!! The service excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014Do the scallops. Double down on them. The gnocchi was also excellent. And the cookies divineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions were too smallVinnyVIPDined on 4/22/2014Food would have gotten a better rating except that the portion sizes for main dishes were too small. For the money, I thought the customers deserve more.
- The following 457 reviews are from the Destino reviews archive.
- Great service, delicious foodJeannetteDined on 4/15/2014Had a lovely dinner here with my uncle. Our server was kind, attentive and gave amazing suggestions. For appetizers we tried the scallops (which we had to order a 2nd plate of because they were so good!), and 2 empanadas. I had the gnocchi and my uncle a meat dish. For dessert we tried the arroz con leche and a manjar dish. We tried just about every pisco drink and loved every one of them. Overall a great mean, great service and fun time!Special Features:
- Peruvian tapas done really wellOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014Very interesting and unusual menu with food that's expertly prepared. Our waiter was very helpful, giving us great recommendations and making sure we were out in time to catch an early jazz show at the S.F. jazz centerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White tablecloth/ mdium volumeupscalecountryDined on 3/31/2014A great place to hold a conversation in a very pleasant setting where you don't have to scream to converse with your tablemate. Great food prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceviche was amazing!FormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014We chose Destino because it was still walkable to the Symphony afterwards, but we will be back. Out of all of the dishes we ordered, only one was not to our liking - the salmon. Everything else was outstanding. You have to get the ceviche - we had the trio, and all were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Peruvian cuisineCali4yumDined on 3/20/2014In addition to the well designed ambience, the food was fresh, thought provoking and hinted all the right hers and spices. We ordered the ceviche, plantation chips, and arepa con ropa vieja. They also have a nice full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second time hereglovesmVIPDined on 3/14/2014This was my second time here and the food was good. The service is a bit slow overall and I had forgotten that that was the case the last time as well. I had the arepa with braised pork shoulder that was filled with cheese, scrumptious and large for a small plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was delicious!RobFDined on 3/10/2014Charming, relaxed and fantastic food. I had the chicken empanadas, a kale salad with pine nuts, raisins and red quinoa and lastly the pork albondigas. The three dishes were perfect portions to make an entire meal for me. I had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun DestinoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014Destino was a blast- pisco drinks at the adjacent Pisco bar to start followed by a very tasty South American fusion meal at reasonable prices served by enthusiastic waiter- We are looking forward to going back again soon!Special Features:
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2014The food was okay. Had the ceviche platter. Mango salsa was too sweet for the fish. Not enough kick. Albondigas were the most interesting dish (along with dessert) Too many better options.
- DeliciousArtiMDined on 2/14/2014Great service and food alike! This has been one of my favorite restaurants for a few years now. I have a great experience each time I visit. Everything I've tried on the menu so far has been delicious, but the pulled pork and queso dish is always a must! I've been here with a date and even had a group join me for my birthday dinner once. The staff is always accommodating, friendly, and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGTanyaDined on 2/1/2014I have never been to a restaurant and loved EVERYTHING! So delicious, I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice alternative to frescaGalaDined on 1/26/2014We had never been to Destino before and quite liked it. We tried many different dishes and sampled from each. Loom salts do was very delicious, my 11 year old devoured the whole serving. My daughter loved the Empanadas, but was not totally thrilled by the quinua salad. The calabassa dish i ordered was nice and spicy and served in the small pumpkin that was its main ingredient. Overall I'd say pretty pricey for a dinner with four ($160), but I guess with tow kids in private school you just don't eat out much in SF. The server was very friendly and encouraged the kids to try their Spanish .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under ImpressedAlwaysImpressedDined on 1/24/2014Overall the food was un memorable well except for the ceviche which was a disaster. The abundance of lime juice masked all the flavors of the seafood. On a positive note, the Argenitine Malbec was delicious and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- Loved this placekambashDined on 1/12/2014I've been to Destino and Pisco before, and chose this place because we were able to get a reservation last minute! We loved, loved, loved everything we ordered. The scallops were melt-in-your-mouth buttery and delicious. Also loved the cheese plate--especially the cheese from Barcelona! Sadly, the only bad part of the whole experience was that they were out of the Sauv. Blanc I wanted as well as the chocolate mousse dessert. Excellent service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!robhood25Dined on 12/31/2013This restaurant is fantastic. The food is amazing and unique, the wine list is fantastic and the service is great. One of my favorites; I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste of PeruTonnieAndCoddDined on 12/13/2013We enjoyed trying the Peruvian cocktails. We aren't experts on the cuisine, but it seemed authentic and was delicious. The sauteed beef was tender and savory, served with a surprising combination of french fries *and* rice! The small plate with braised pork was outstanding. We had a lovely mixed green salad with a citrusy dressing. Our only complaint was that the waiter brought my husband's beef dish and the salad that we wanted to share at the same time. It was several more minutes before my dish arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destino was not as good as PiscoSFDinerDined on 12/5/2013I believe Destino and Pisco have the same kitchen. I've eaten at Pisco and thought everything was good. At Destino on 12/05/13 the Quinoa Balls were good, nothing special, everything on the menu has quinoa in it. The meatballs were pretty grisly and not that flavorful. The kale was decent, again nothing special. We ordered the Sirloin Relleno, unfortunately it had corn in it, which I can NOT eat and was not listed in the menu. My b/f said it was just ok also. The yucca fries were good - hot and crispy.
- Mini VacationBattleBornDined on 11/14/2013Girlfriend and I decided to take a mini vacation to the city to see Ben Harper play. This lil gem we found trying to google places to fine near the Symphony hall. We both agreed that we would definitely visit this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2013We went to Destino to celebrate our birthday and 7th yr anniversary. The service was amazing - we had so many questions about the menu and our waiter took his time explaining everything. He even shared with us the meaning/translation of some of the more common words on the menu! The food was amazing too! Recommendations by the waiter were delicious and good paring with what we had ordered. We'll be back Destino!Special Features:
- Ceviche Trio was overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/7/2013Ceviche Trio was overpriced and ok on flavor. They charge you extra for plantain chips to eat with the ceviche. Better off having ceviche at Fresca or La Mar. Gnocchi was excellent on flavor as well as sautéed kale. Again, overall bill seems a bit overpriced. Server was a bit slow since there was only 1 server, 1 bus boy and no hostess.
- Peruvian perfectionAudnEdDined on 10/16/2013Wonderful option for a neighborhood place with great Latin American dishes. The small plates options gives you a chance to try great variety. The ceviche is a must. Excellent. Loved the sautéed kale. Highly attentive service. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Kale SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2013Found this place on opentable & fell in love with it right away. I'm a huge fan of Peruvian restos so my review may be biased. Another awesome feature of this restaurant is that they have a GLUTEN-FREE menu available! How cool is that?!? #Score The decor inside is very modern & cool. I particularly like the screen room divider that hangs on the ceiling - i'd like this for my house! =D The mirrors are also a great touch so you can spy on other tables w/o them even knowing. LOL #creepy I can't wait to go back & try other items off the menu. So far I've only had the amazing Kale Salad & the Salmon entree. The Quinoa Salad was good too if you want something light & refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2013Ambience is nice, good vibe but a bit noisy for casual conversation. My friend and I retired to the bar to finish our conversation. It was quiet and lovely. Interesting cocktail menu, good ceviche and meat dishes. Tapas style sharing was fun. Not mind blowing, but satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies FindDonaDined on 8/4/2013It is a joy to go to a place with interesting foods that you have not had anywhere else. The menu presented so many interesting dishes so we picked 5 dishes which were fun to share. I plan to return there often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2013Destino never disappoints on delivering distinct flavors in the many beautifully prepared dishes. The service is very attentive and on point for a great value its definately a neighborhood gem, the chili rejeno is to die for..Special Features:
- A delicious varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2013The 2 of us shared 4 dishes and all were delicious and flavorful and refreshingly different. One of my more satisfying dinners this year. Destino is going to be added to my regular rotation now.Special Features:
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2013This is the third time we've eaten at this restaurant and Destino just gets more solid: attentive and knowledgeable wait staff, good ordering recommendations, and interesting and well-handled riffs on Peruvian ingredients and techniques. Located in an unlikely spot, it's worth checking out if you're looking for a refined and accomplished take on Peruvian food.Special Features:
- Small GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/14/2013We had a fantastic meal. While initially concerned about the relatively short menu, we found 7-8 plates to agree on and they ranged from tasty to fantastic -- no clinkers. Don't miss the scallops and Parmesan, vegetable empanadas, gnocchi, and (spicy peppery) steak.Special Features:
- Good food, small portionsglovesmVIPDined on 7/10/2013The food was good - my friends and I shared a few dishes. Lomo Saltado is always one of my favorites. Their chicken empanadas had some magical secret spices that made it delicious. All of us enjoyed our drinks (cachetada, lo-caipirinha). The ropa vieja was good. The only bad part was the size of the dishes since my friends and I were fairly hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.