1815 Market St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.destinosf.com/
- Phone: (415) 552-4451
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Peruvian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: James Schenk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: CATERING SERVICES WITH LATIN FLAIR HOLIDAY PARTIES - FUNDRAISERS - CORPORATE EVENTS - BIRTHDAYS - REHEARSAL DINNERS Let us make your next occasion memorable at DESTINO, or at your home, office or other location. IN HOUSE OPTIONS ➢ Sit-down dinners of up to 65 people ➢ Cocktail receptions of up to 80 people CATERING OPTIONS ➢ Deliverable party platters or full service catering available ➢ Full bar service available at any location ➢ Customize every event to fit your needs APPETIZER & BUFFET MENUS @ WWW.DESTINOSF.COM for more info, please contact us @ email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: James Schenk 4155524451
- Entertainment: We offer a great selection of Latin American music ranging from Salsa and Cumbia to Latin Pop and Top 40.
- Cross Street: Valencia
- Public Transit: F Trolley Line at the Guerrero stop. Closest Bart stop is Civic Center (about 10 minutes walking).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking is recommended. There is a pay parking lot on Valencia and Duboce (entrance is right underneath the freeway overpass).
A word from Destino
For 12 years, DESTINO has become a destination for South American cuisine in San Francisco! DESTINO focuses on Latin American small plates, with an emphasis on Peruvian. Connected next door to our sister business PISCO LATIN LOUNGE, DESTINO offers a wide selection of South American cocktails and wine. PISCO is the first Pisco bar in the United States and we offer a tremendous selection of Pisco, South American wines, and specialty liquors and aperitifs. The dining room features ornate "pan de oro" mirrors which convey a comfortable colonial cafe setting, recollecting the days of Hispanic yesteryears. Be it a romantic table for two, or group reservation, DESTINO is a perfect choice for a slice of San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Destino reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DestinoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Had a great time here. Food was great, service was great, all around good experience. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- korovaVIPDined on 11/6/2014The restaurant was empty, which means that everyone but us knew the place is not worth a visit. The service was kind of OK, but the dishes came in too fast. The worst part was food; it was uninspired, bland, and plated badly. Very disappointed.
- Pre Opera dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014This was our third dinner at Destino. Luck smiled--a parking place in front of the restaurant! The original attraction had been the Pisco Sours--a favorite drink from Chile. The food was excellent, from the ceviche and scallops to start to the corvina and fries for the main course and a good glass of wine--reasonable price, very good service, and no stress to get to San Francisco Opera well in time for curtain.Special Features:
- Not quite thereFrequentDinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014We went for a neighbor eat. 4 of us enjoyed the ceviche...very good. However the entrees were underwhelming. i recommend sticking to the appetixers....The mixed grill was overcooked and the vegetarian dish lacked flavor and design. All in all a lackluster performance. here's to hoping they are able to up the game. Plenty of restaurants at that price point, so there is fierce competition.
- Ceviche and Pisco Sours are yummyGenieVIPDined on 10/1/2014This has become our new favorite "go to" restaurant. We initially went there for the Pisco and ceviche but the entrees are also great (e.g., lamb lollipops) and they always have delicious seasonal veggie dishes (e.g., brussel sprouts, beets, etc.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other options...FredVIPDined on 9/24/2014I was hoping dining at Destino for the first time was going to enjoyable. When I arrived for dinner there was only one other table which should have alerted me that for the time of my reservation the restaurant should have been much fuller. Overall the service was good but the food was the issue. Some dishes were barely warm while others were scorching hot with sauces that were congealed to one dish that was actually cold. There are so many great restaurants in San Francisco it is a shame that this one was not one of them. I would definitely not recommend it and would suggest other Peruvian options.
- Great food, even better servicewhatnextDined on 9/9/2014Amazing Peruvian food - just as good as another Peruvian waterfront spot. On spot pisco sours and superlative service rarely seen even at much higher price points.Special Features:
- Mediocre at best.HappynRiteDined on 9/5/2014For peruvian food the Lomo Saltado was to vinegary tasting. The empanadas were dry and tasteless. The pulpo was very good and filing for a small plate. The ambiance was quant. Our waiter was very attentive. I was disappointed with the food. I won't go back again. La Mar is much better.
- Hit or MissFoodie223Dined on 8/27/2014I found some dishes excellent and others below average which is why this restaurant has mixed reviews. I ordered a mojito and it didn't resemble any drink I've ever had.... Seemed like they didn't make it with rum? The lamp lollipop and the scallops were excellent but the ceviche and brussle sprouts were only okay. There was a PG&E truck working right outside the door and for some reason they didn't close it? Oh well, for me I wouldn't return.
- Good but not greatMLiboVIPDined on 8/13/2014I had heard great things about this place, so was excited to see what the hype was about. Loved the atmosphere (fun and unique). The food was nothing to write home about. Average at best. The service was also good, but not great. For the price you pay I would expect better quality.
- Great date spotScottDined on 7/30/2014The food is always good, and the service fantastic. The rustic Latin charm is romantic, and it's easy to talk to your date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 468 reviews are from the Destino reviews archive.
- Definitely in my Top TenzestysfVIPDined on 7/24/2014In all the years we've been going there, the food and drink have been nothing but fabulous. Great in every way. Could easily eat at Destino's twice a week!Special Features:
- perfect serviceHonestACDined on 7/21/2014Service was flawless, cocktails, and food perfect! 'nough said! Highly recommend, especially with a date or significant other. During the week a couple hours before closing, the restaurant was quiet, I can't understand why, but turned out to be a perfect choice for the quiet, intimate and laid back atmosphere I was seeking.Special Features:
- D to the Lish!smkarizonaVIPDined on 6/8/2014Went on a whim Sunday evening. Not crowded (but should be). Hubby had the SF Dining Around menu and really hit the jackpot. Service was attentive, but not cloying. My scallops were expertly prepared, lovely to behold and super yummy. My chicha morada was good (although it was a fairly small portion for the price) and his sangria was also good (but small). The rice pudding I had for dessert was perfection. Definitely going back.Special Features:
- It was ... OKPersnipityDined on 6/1/2014Small plates are SMALL, I'd suggest at least 3 per person. At at least $12 a plate that begins to get a little pricey. I wasn't overly impressed with any of the dishes.Special Features:
- Perfect to be on your go to listEthansfVIPDined on 5/26/2014Food is reliably good. Space gives a lot of elbow room. Bar adjacent to it is convenient for waiting. Parking is relatively easy. Service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go hungry!dedejossDined on 5/10/2014So much food. Dinner for three felt like dinner for six. Food is good if you like South American. Some dishes were great, others only okay, but overall this is good restaurant. Neighborhood is a bit sketchy so I'd Uber or cab over.Special Features:
- Exceptional!XoxoDined on 5/4/2014Let me start by saying, Hector our waiter originally from Honduras made the evening perfect. I have to admit the meal we enjoyed at Destino surpassed the deliciousness of the wonderful food we had at the finer restaurants while traveling in S. America primarily in Chile. The ceviche was beyond anything I've every experiences and the plantain chips complimented it perfectly. We split all of the tapas we ordered including the scallops (amazing, melt in your mouth), salmon (very good but other items even better), the chili relleno was by far the best I've ever had, filled with subtle, fresh flavors and ingredients. All complimented with crisp Chilean wine. Although we were more than satisfied, we split the creamy rice pudding and loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Good Gilt CityMandarinaDined on 5/2/2014We bought a Gilt City Voucher with a Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings. It was absolutely GREAT and we recommend this restaurant for sure to anybody who likes to eat and Great Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- destino delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I've been on 3 different occasions. It has never disappointed me!! The food is scrumptious!! The service excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/23/2014Do the scallops. Double down on them. The gnocchi was also excellent. And the cookies divineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions were too smallVinnyVIPDined on 4/22/2014Food would have gotten a better rating except that the portion sizes for main dishes were too small. For the money, I thought the customers deserve more.
- Great service, delicious foodJeannetteDined on 4/15/2014Had a lovely dinner here with my uncle. Our server was kind, attentive and gave amazing suggestions. For appetizers we tried the scallops (which we had to order a 2nd plate of because they were so good!), and 2 empanadas. I had the gnocchi and my uncle a meat dish. For dessert we tried the arroz con leche and a manjar dish. We tried just about every pisco drink and loved every one of them. Overall a great mean, great service and fun time!Special Features:
- Peruvian tapas done really wellOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014Very interesting and unusual menu with food that's expertly prepared. Our waiter was very helpful, giving us great recommendations and making sure we were out in time to catch an early jazz show at the S.F. jazz centerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White tablecloth/ mdium volumeupscalecountryDined on 3/31/2014A great place to hold a conversation in a very pleasant setting where you don't have to scream to converse with your tablemate. Great food prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceviche was amazing!FormerChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014We chose Destino because it was still walkable to the Symphony afterwards, but we will be back. Out of all of the dishes we ordered, only one was not to our liking - the salmon. Everything else was outstanding. You have to get the ceviche - we had the trio, and all were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent Peruvian cuisineCali4yumDined on 3/20/2014In addition to the well designed ambience, the food was fresh, thought provoking and hinted all the right hers and spices. We ordered the ceviche, plantation chips, and arepa con ropa vieja. They also have a nice full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second time hereglovesmVIPDined on 3/14/2014This was my second time here and the food was good. The service is a bit slow overall and I had forgotten that that was the case the last time as well. I had the arepa with braised pork shoulder that was filled with cheese, scrumptious and large for a small plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was delicious!RobFDined on 3/10/2014Charming, relaxed and fantastic food. I had the chicken empanadas, a kale salad with pine nuts, raisins and red quinoa and lastly the pork albondigas. The three dishes were perfect portions to make an entire meal for me. I had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun DestinoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014Destino was a blast- pisco drinks at the adjacent Pisco bar to start followed by a very tasty South American fusion meal at reasonable prices served by enthusiastic waiter- We are looking forward to going back again soon!Special Features:
- mehOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2014The food was okay. Had the ceviche platter. Mango salsa was too sweet for the fish. Not enough kick. Albondigas were the most interesting dish (along with dessert) Too many better options.
- DeliciousArtiMDined on 2/14/2014Great service and food alike! This has been one of my favorite restaurants for a few years now. I have a great experience each time I visit. Everything I've tried on the menu so far has been delicious, but the pulled pork and queso dish is always a must! I've been here with a date and even had a group join me for my birthday dinner once. The staff is always accommodating, friendly, and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGTanyaDined on 2/1/2014I have never been to a restaurant and loved EVERYTHING! So delicious, I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice alternative to frescaGalaDined on 1/26/2014We had never been to Destino before and quite liked it. We tried many different dishes and sampled from each. Loom salts do was very delicious, my 11 year old devoured the whole serving. My daughter loved the Empanadas, but was not totally thrilled by the quinua salad. The calabassa dish i ordered was nice and spicy and served in the small pumpkin that was its main ingredient. Overall I'd say pretty pricey for a dinner with four ($160), but I guess with tow kids in private school you just don't eat out much in SF. The server was very friendly and encouraged the kids to try their Spanish .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under ImpressedAlwaysImpressedDined on 1/24/2014Overall the food was un memorable well except for the ceviche which was a disaster. The abundance of lime juice masked all the flavors of the seafood. On a positive note, the Argenitine Malbec was delicious and the service impeccable.Special Features:
- Loved this placekambashDined on 1/12/2014I've been to Destino and Pisco before, and chose this place because we were able to get a reservation last minute! We loved, loved, loved everything we ordered. The scallops were melt-in-your-mouth buttery and delicious. Also loved the cheese plate--especially the cheese from Barcelona! Sadly, the only bad part of the whole experience was that they were out of the Sauv. Blanc I wanted as well as the chocolate mousse dessert. Excellent service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!robhood25Dined on 12/31/2013This restaurant is fantastic. The food is amazing and unique, the wine list is fantastic and the service is great. One of my favorites; I can't recommend this place highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- taste of PeruTonnieAndCoddVIPDined on 12/13/2013We enjoyed trying the Peruvian cocktails. We aren't experts on the cuisine, but it seemed authentic and was delicious. The sauteed beef was tender and savory, served with a surprising combination of french fries *and* rice! The small plate with braised pork was outstanding. We had a lovely mixed green salad with a citrusy dressing. Our only complaint was that the waiter brought my husband's beef dish and the salad that we wanted to share at the same time. It was several more minutes before my dish arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destino was not as good as PiscoSFDinerDined on 12/5/2013I believe Destino and Pisco have the same kitchen. I've eaten at Pisco and thought everything was good. At Destino on 12/05/13 the Quinoa Balls were good, nothing special, everything on the menu has quinoa in it. The meatballs were pretty grisly and not that flavorful. The kale was decent, again nothing special. We ordered the Sirloin Relleno, unfortunately it had corn in it, which I can NOT eat and was not listed in the menu. My b/f said it was just ok also. The yucca fries were good - hot and crispy.
- Mini VacationBattleBornDined on 11/14/2013Girlfriend and I decided to take a mini vacation to the city to see Ben Harper play. This lil gem we found trying to google places to fine near the Symphony hall. We both agreed that we would definitely visit this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.