235A Nassau St.
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.despanaprinceton.com/
- Phone: 6099212992x
- Hours of Operation:
Cafe, Market & Take-out
Mon: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tue - Sat: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sun: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Full Service Lunch
Mon - Sun: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Full Service Dinner
Mon: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tue - Sat: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sun: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Despaña offers full service off-site catering. Whether you're having a small get together or a party of more then 100 people, we can bring your favorite cuisine to you. Despaña has the ability to do a large paella show at your event as well.
- Entertainment: Occasional live music and special events, like flamenco performances.
- Special Events: Despaña hosts numerous special events through out the year. From tastings, live music to Flamenco performances. Check out our website and Facebook for News about upcoming events.
A word from Despaña Princeton
Despaña is an all-authentic Spain tapas cafe and restaurant with full service lunch and dinner. Despaña's unique space features a beautiful industrial chic atmosphere with a second floor dinning room and outdoor terrace overlooking scenic Nassau Street. Despaña also offers guests take out from the spacious market featuring all imported goods from Spain and the ability to cater private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Despaña Princeton - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Despaña Princeton reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (75)fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (33)great for lunch (22)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (17)romantic (15)scenic view (9)great for brunch (6)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Princeton restaurant with parking?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Girls night out was a success. Many larger groups were there, but this is also well suited for more intimate conversations and the noise level did not preclude conversation. I had the "special" soup: cucumber soup which was a lovely pureed with shrimp and avocado on top. If you like ceviche, you'll love this soup! My friend and I split the carafe of house red wine - I would suggest BYOB instead which is an option here. The artichoke fritters were not to my taste, but then again, I did not order them. What was most delicious and made the trip worthwhile, was the paella. We shared the paella mixta which was very fresh, perfectly seasoned, and authentic. I will be back again...
- YolyOVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our first visit to this restaurant was great. The service was terrific, but more extraordinary was the food! We chose to order many different tapas dishes and every one of them was delectable. It was a great way to get acquainted with all the flavors of Spain. It's just too bad that they don't offer Sangria.....it would've completed an otherwise perfect meal.Special Features:
- Great tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/22/2014Dined indoors on Friday evening, although the busy rooftop seating looked like a fun place to enjoy a meal. We started with 3 tapas selections: Fried artichokes with lemon, salmon tartar with avocado, and octopus. The octopus was one of the best preparations we have had; very tender, flavorful slices. Also had a trio of Spanish cheeses with honey, marcona almonds, and fruit. For dinner we shared a small paella mixta, which included chicken, chorizo, shrimp and sea bass. Menu alerts diners that paellas take 25-30 minutes to prepare to order, but the timing was perfect. Since it is prepared to order, we asked that the chorizo be of the spicy variety and they were happy to oblige. Wine from Old York Vineyard was a nice addition to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deafening noiseBernieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our dinner at Despana was defeated by the noise level which made conversation amongst our group of four totally impossible. Maybe that's the way that young people like it but I couldn't recommend the restaurant to anyone over 50. Our waitress was charming. However, I ordered dessert when the other three at our table ordered coffee. Their coffee arrived, they sipped it slowly, but my dessert still didn't arrive. After about 20 minutes, I asked the waitress to bring the check and she said that my dessert would be up very shortly. I tole her that was far too late, and she had it taken off our bill. The delay in the dessert was clearly not her fault, but she didn't come over to explain that the dessert would take some time! Too bad.Special Features:
- Great Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014I was really happy with Despana- the food was delicious (get the bacon wrapped dates!) and the outdoor roof deck was very cute. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!!!!HLCFoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Absolutely wonderful food and terrific service. Definitely going to make frequent visits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it hereFoodloverDined on 8/9/2014After looking through a bunch of restaurants in Princeton that were good for my party of 7, we chose Despana. This was the perfect atmosphere, the food was so delicious, the service was great, and we all really enjoyed ourselves. The sangria was a great, fun idea too that we participated in. Special shout outs for the amazing cheese plate (we chose the 3 M named cheeses), the vegetable paella was delicious, the salad with Manchego was fantastic, the list goes on. We really loved it, and I cannot wait to bring my husband back to enjoy Despana again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetDined on 8/7/2014Best tapas in New Jersey, there are just like in Spain.Special Features:
- Great View of PrincetonPixieguyVIPDined on 8/6/2014This Spanish restaurant sits on top of a building overlooking the main street of Princeton. The gazpacho is excellent and freshly made. The paella is a bit overcooked with chewy chunks of seafood and meat. Pricey considering the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Paella & SangriaLuvmesomeSangriaDined on 8/3/2014The outdoor dining experience on the second floor terrace overlooking Nassau Street at the Despana Princeton was truly enjoyable, we were serenaded by a very fine Spanish guitarist while dining on tasty tapas dishes, a selection of cured meat and cheeses and great paella. The Sangria was very good as well. The service was excellent by a friendly wait staff. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- dissapointed.onedayatatimeDined on 7/30/2014food was less than spectacular....was expecting better. The gazpacho was delicious, but the others fell short. Tomate Relleno was probably the worst of them, a bland tasteless tomato (even in the height of tomato season here!). Service was lack luster, got the job done, but not super attentive considering the mass amount of food we were ordering. I would think a server would have been happy to have our table seeing it was going to be a good sized check! Ordered the Paella and again was underwhelmed, but it was seasoned nicely. It is a beautiful restaurant, just wish the food was as good as the surroundings!Special Features:
- Great Tapas and Paella!mmmgoodDined on 7/27/2014We went here with a group of friends and it was a great place to share a bunch of different kinds of food! The paella was really good and perfectly sized. Our server was also very helpful in letting us know how much food was a good amount to share for the number of people we had. Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful time!PatWDined on 7/23/2014We recently celebrated my husband's birthday with family members at Despana Princeton. The tapas, soup, entrees, coffees, and desserts were delicious! Service was exemplary! This was our first lunch time experience, and it couldn't have been more pleasant! We plan to return more often for lunch.Special Features:
- Great Tapas2goodVIPDined on 7/22/2014We've been the first time here and pleasantly surprised. It's really something different. A great feature is certainly the roof top terrace where you can have dinner right over Nassau Street. We've tasted some if the tapas and they were fresh and delicious. Really great quality food. We'll definitely come back to taste some of the many other tapas available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?TonyBoyDined on 7/19/2014Really authentic tapas and paella, sat upstairs on patios overlooking Nassau St. BYOB...So much better than the Ironbound.
- Nice dinnerYummyDined on 7/19/2014We had a few tapas-garlic shrimp, octopus, and cod fritters! All 3 were delicious! My husband and I shared the Paella Negra-which was yummy as well. The Sangria w Despana Red was also delicious! Overall it was a nice night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly managed but food goodez2pleezVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food is generally good but I can't believe the number of ways this rest. Can screw up This time it was delivering all eight tapas plates within five minutes of each other. Ever eat with plates on your lap in a restaurant?
- Despana's paella declinesPrincetonDinerDined on 7/16/2014I've been to Despana's a number of times but, my latest visit was not as pleasant for a foodie. The paella with chicken, fish, and sausage was just not as good as in previous visits. There was much less fish, the paella was saltier, and it just was not up to their prior standard. I hope they return to a better standard. The server was friendly and did do a good job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotbrabbDined on 7/11/2014Delicious, laid back. Not budget but not crazy expensive either. BYOB, you can also order wine there. While not necessarily a "family restaurant", we carted along my 9 month old and the staff was super helpful and friendly about it. (Plus, my kiddo totally dug the tastes of tapas!) Only thing I'd say that wasn't perfect was the recommended quantity per person, which was 1-2 tapas plus an entree per eater. We ordered 5 tapas, a cheese plate, and a small paella for five of us and it was more than enough. We were stuffed.Special Features:
- A trip to Spain in PrincetonFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food at Despana is authentic Spain! Each of the tapas dishes we have tried over two visits have transported us back to our Spain vacation. I just love Tortilla de Patata. This last visit, we enjoyed the cheese stuffed peppers and the Paella Mixto - the rice is so creamy. When the weather cooperates, a table on the 2nd floor patio is the place to sit and savor. Definitely adding Despana to our regular stops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningdivaDined on 6/28/2014The tapas at Despana is truly a dining experience. From the cheeses to the jamon, to the seafood, it is a party of flavors. The service is excellent and helpful in making selections. The Old York Cellars Merlot they carry there was perfect with our meal! Can't wait to return to try the paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/25/2014food was tasty and good but is overwhelming Carb based...even the Octopus Tapas was on a slice of potato. there's more margin on starch that meat. Need more choices of protein that is not supplemented or constured to be more by adding carbs
- Very good ambiance and foodFalconerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great location, brings culinary diversity to the area. Food and service was very good. Sangria mix's taste was average (light on taste/fruit), and the flan was also average Will come back though for the paella and tapas.Special Features:
- Excellent PaellaTheHungryStudentDined on 6/20/2014Every aspect of the Paella was excellent: it was better than what I had in Spain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor terraceHopeDined on 6/20/2014Great for tapas and paella. Has nj wine or byo. Eggplant tapa amazing and try Spanish hams and chresesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - again...OriginalSixDined on 6/15/2014Our second visit and it was as terrific as the first. Three of us shared the paella mixta for two, and some tapas (calamari, tortilla, albondigas, & piquillos) and everything was excellent. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- A Spanish gem in PrincetonTheLoraxDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I took her father and mother out for Father's Day. The food was amazing and it was a wonderful find in Princeton for a beautiful day. The gazpacho is incredible, but all of the food we had there was great. You can't go wrong with anything at this authentic Spanish gem.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The food was great. We enjoyed the tapas, i.e. patatas bravas, fried eggplant, artichokes, shrimp gambas and the paella negra was good too. I would definitely come back again. Next time we'll try brunch or lunch.Special Features:
- Finally found our bit of SpainAdventurousfoodieDined on 6/9/2014My husband and I travel to Spain every summer, and we've had quite a bit of trouble finding a restaurant we consider to represent authentic Spanish tapas and cuisine. I personally joke that if Pan con Tomate is not on the menu it's not legitimate and I'm not going. Well, not only is it on D'España's menu, but it was BETTER than any we've ever had in Spain (had ours with the Jamòn). The gazpacho is so delicious and authentic, and the paella is heavenly, especially with the chorizo and sea bass. The sangria mixer was delicious and fun, although I think too sweet with the suggested half bottle. We poured an entire bottle of Garnacha in and it was delicious. Can't wait to go back for that upstairs patio and the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegluvDined on 6/8/2014Lovely balcony seating. Food was tasty but very few vegan options. Tapas are nice but too many are fried and oily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrabbyLadyDined on 6/3/2014We were a group of 8 and had a great time. Princeton generally has a terrible price-quality ratio, and for once I was satisfied with the return on my investment. The food was freshly prepared, well-seasoned, piping hot, and meant to be shared. Lots of fun, and satisfying.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/3/2014It is like an authentic Spanish restaurant - friendly, good food, easy going, but good service. It is one of our favorites in Princeton.
- Welcome New RestaurantMomfoodieDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I dined at Despana this past Saturday evening. Although Princeton was hosting it's alumni population and the town extremely busy, our server kept up with our tapas, paella, cheese and dessert courses. The food was delicious - the salmon tartare was our favorite, with the calamari and artichoke fritters a close second! Despana is a welcome addition to the Princeton food scene. We'll be back soon! Enjoy.Special Features:
- WingVIPDined on 5/29/2014We went there on Thursday evening. Not many people......it took a little bit time to have our server to give us menu. The salad with citrus fresh fruit and shrimp is very good. We also had the fried artichoke as starter which was delicious. However, the paella we had that night was so so. We're recommended to order large portion which costed $48. The rice was a little bit raw, chicken was dry......sea bass was given a little bit. Taste was good though, but I was disappointed with their signature dish. The cured ham was delicious but it would come little meat... Servers were very friendly. Overall, food was ok but I still thought that it is pricy for this dinner.Special Features:
- Great Tapas and PaellaHLG3Dined on 5/17/2014Tapas were excellent in taste and size. The paella was authentic and delicious. pleasantly surprise as we went in with no expectationsfor a small family restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerHumblemanDined on 5/17/2014We went to Despana for dinner last Saturday night. We made reservations and we sat upstairs outdoors. The food from tapas to paella to dessert was great. The food came in a reasonable time and the staff very helpful and friendly. I am going back tomorrow for lunch. I would recommend this restaurant for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsGinaDined on 5/16/2014I've been to Despana about a dozen times in the last six months. Service is fast, the staff are friendly and engaging and they know their product. The food always comes out fresh and hot and packed with flavor. There is a very spacious feel, with tables just far enough apart that you feel you have privacy with your party. The ceiling is high and there is outdoor dining on warm sunny days. I'd like to see them change up the menu a little more often; with their new chef, who is from Spain, I suspect this will happen soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the Paella!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014Despana is a great addtion to the Princeton culinary scene. Really nice people, great service, and their Paella is to die for. We've tried lots of the tapas which are good, but the Paella is so good we gravitate to that when we go. Wishing them great success.Special Features:
- Great experience...OriginalSixDined on 5/11/2014We ordered several tapas plates and paella... everything was terrific. Wait staff was very friendly. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Paella and AppetizersWeLoveToDineDined on 5/11/2014We really enjoyed Despana's paella. Also, the appetizers: Cheese Plate, White Anchovies, and Fried Eggplant were excellent.Special Features: