628 St Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.desivegasteaks.com/
- Phone: 5045237600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Happy Hour in the lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
featuring $5 Grey Goose and Crown Royal cocktails
Open for New Orleans Saints Home Games & select Mardi Gras Parades. Please check website for dates and hours.
CALL FOR LARGE GROUP RESERVATIONS
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Muggsy Beals voted as one of the top 100 chefs in Las Vegas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our cocktail reception menu is priced to fit any budget and includes local dishes as well as some of chef's favorite creations.
There are 3 bar packages to choose from featuring house brands, call brands and premium brands that include liquor, beer and wine.
Our steaks are fetured on our seated menus and available for groups at lunch and dinner.
- Private Party Facilities: Our ulta sleek lounge holds up to 125 for cocktail receptions. There are 8 flat screen TV's throughout the venue along with a spacious dance floor. The large dramatic white bar provides the perfect backround for enjoying a great cocktail or glass of delicous wine. Groups of sleek white leather seating and plenty of white leather barstools offer guests intimate conversational spaces. The dining area in the lounge seats up to 60 guests.
The picturesque restaurant boasts ceiling to floor windows along St Charles Avenue and Lafayette Square. It's dining room has a fabulous space for semi-private dining from 15 to 30 guests or the entire room will hold 100 guests for a seated dinner and 175 for cocktail receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Vicky Bayley 5045237600x
- Special Events: We are open for all New Orleans Saints Home Games and selected Mardi Gras parades
Our Lounge "Prime Time Happy Hour" is Tuesday - Friday from 4 -7 pm
$1 meatball sliders and $5 Crown Royal and Grey Goose cocktails
A word from Desi Vega's
Voted Best New Restaurants "Class of 13" by New Orleans Magazine. Desi Vega is the restaurateur of Desi Vega's Steakhouse and Mr. John's Steakhouse. Both restaurants are consistently outstanding and locals' favorite place to "see and be seen". Desi grew up in the restaurant business and was groomed by Ella Brennan at Commander's Palace, Ruth Fertel of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and Emeril Lagasse. His attention to detail and commitment to excellence makes for a truly memorable dining experience. Our USDA Prime steaks are carefully selected, hand-cut and aged for tenderness, then seared to perfection and served on a sizzling plate. The Who Dat Shrimp appetizer and Andouille-crawfish Mac & Cheese are favorite dishes of the New Orleans Saints and New Orleans Pelicans players. We hope you'll visit to see for yourself!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Desi Vega's - Best Restaurants in Warehouse District ›
Desi Vega's reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)romantic (70)scenic view (61)fit for foodies (58)good for groups (45)hot spot (38)notable wine list (37)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (28)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- PURE DINING AWESOMENESS!!!!NOLAeatzDined on 9/12/2014OK, New Orleans is FULL of GREAT restaurants. You have some that are ok, some are good, others are great and then you have Desi Vega's! This establishment is in a class by itself. It's a quaint little place with right amount of flair. No smoke and mirrors here, they aim to please their guests from start to finish and it's apparent. The level of PERSONAL service is second to none. We were PLEASANTLY surprised with a DELICIOUS complimentary meatball and ultra tender garlic french bread. IF this was preview of things to come we were REALLY in for a treat!!! We started with a succulent crab cake and Who Dat shrimp, followed by the Freddie Mac, Crystal hot sauce onion rings, ribeye oscar and marinated chicken. EVERYTHING WAS FLAWLESS!!!Special Features:
- Great Place to CelebrateBon50Dined on 9/12/2014Recently returned to Desi Vega to celebrate a friend's birthday and once again the service, food and atmosphere was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impossibly loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014Could hear my date. Couldn't hear the waiter. Waiter apologized for the noise with out any prompting from us. Also, waited 30 min for our table despite a confirmed reservation. Food was VERY slow coming out of the kitchen. Steak was very good but not the best. We shared the porterhouse for two which came with which were heated to such a degree that 10 min into it mt date burned herself, and if I put my medium rare steak on it for more than an instant it cooked to medium or higher. Lastly I witnessed a waiter drop a knife on the floor when setting up a table. He seprrated it from the others for a little while, but eventually he set the table with it. In short, you won't get a bad meal, but I'm never coming back.
- A great restaurantlocalresDined on 9/5/2014We decided to try the restaurant after not being able to make reservations at Mr. John's Steakhouse (same owner). We were not disappointed with our choice. The food and service were outstanding. My husband had the filet and I had the grilled fish with crab topping. We both had a salad and decided that when we go back, we will split one as they were so large. We took food from our main courses home, but couldn't resist the chocolate bread pudding for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong showingdingerDined on 9/5/2014I've been critical of Desi's place since the opening 18 months ago. Now that the rough spots have been ironed the place is running very well. The food and particularly the service have taken a decided turn upward. Everything we ordered was done well and the communication with the waitstaff was outstanding. I won't go into details, but I will simply say that Desi's is now after a number of mediocre visits truly starting to establish itself as a first line steakhouse with food, prices and service complimenting one another. Great evening. Well worth the money.Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for anything more!TopsDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding! All the way around a one hundred A, from Chris the GM to Matt our waiter. The outing was for my fiancee's birthday and it went off without a glitch. Time was the only thing I asked the restaurant be mindful of and they went so much further and beyond what was asked for. The food was smoking hot. It literally came to the table on fire and Matt's wine knowledge was dead on. Needless to say, the night was a success. Thanks Desi team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceTNOLADined on 9/3/2014Great place for business lunches during the week. Service is always excellent and food is top notch. Would highly recommend it for business lunches.Special Features:
- Lulee923VIPDined on 8/30/2014Husband had ribeye and I had grilled fish special with lump crabmeat. Both were excellent !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steaks and seafoodnicknameVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been several times, and it is always a great experience. Beautiful location overlooking a parking and watching the streetcar go by in the large windows. Valet parking makes Desi Vega's a real favorite for me as a local. The staff is excellent and will help you make great choices of when to split an appetizer and the best reasonable priced wines. You start with a taste of the best meatballs in town. We split a soft-shell crab, the best I have ever had anywhere. Don't miss it when available. The steaks are always great and cooked to perfection, with great toppings like blue cheese. My wife tried the lamb with a flaming sauce at the table, it was great. Sorry no room for dessert this time, but we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JRONOLADined on 8/29/2014Service food everything was good. I would recommend to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steakhouse (with great Fish!)NewOrleansFoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed a wonderful meal at Desi Vega's. My Steak was perfectly cooked, prepared. Sides were delicious. Dining Companion had the Fish of the Day, which was Grilled Swordfish with Crabmeat and steamed vegetable, which was also Excellent. Vibrant downtown location on Lafayette Square.Special Features:
- Delicious!DevineatsDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I went to Desi Vega's to celebrate two years together. Our waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu items. Our filets were cooked perfectly, and the potatoes au gratin and creamed spinach were very good. Oh, and the bacon wrapped scallop appetizer special was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placewpe4040Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great time... the food and service were excellent. Steve and Randall were our servers and they were fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service!!MaeMaeDined on 8/23/2014Steaks are outstanding! The salad was different but awesome! Our waiter, Raymond, is a gem. He knew the menu inside and out and gave outstanding selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloversDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed everything from the lovely atmosphere to the delectable food. The wait staff was topnotch on menu knowledge and attentiveness. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, impeccable serviceNolafoodDined on 8/22/2014Every dish we ordered was excellent...apps were Who Dat Shrimp and Blackened Napoleon, Filets for dinner with blue cheese crust, Freddie Mac and Cheese and creamed spinach as sides, bread pudding and peanut butter pie for dessert. Everything was VERY flavorful. Service was most impressive, very attentive but not annoying. One of the best in the city!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I brought my husband here for dinner to celebrate his birthday. The restaurant was perfect! The staff was friendly, efficient, and personable. The food was absolutely amazing! My husband used to be a sous chef for years, and for him to say that it was the best steak he's ever had means a lot. When I made the reservations, I put a comment that we were coming for his birthday. From the moment we walked in to the time we left, the staff addressed the fact that it was his birthday. It was really nice and they helped to make it very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NissaGDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the ambience and food. Service was a bit slow. The waiter had to be "flagged" down a couple of times to take the order & bring the check.Special Features:
- great food - great serviceFalkDined on 8/16/2014Hands down one of the best meals I've had in New Orleans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In one word ... Awesome.steph70124Dined on 8/15/2014Outstanding service. Divine buttery steaks and wonderful sides. Can't wait to go back. Love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre SAINTS GameJanRDined on 8/15/2014A great place for a wonderful dinner before the Saints Game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with FriendsYankeeFan4EverDined on 8/14/2014I brought 2 friends who had never been to this restaurant. One of them had been to Mr. John's Steakhouse with me before. She actually liked her steak better at Desi's than at Mr. John's. Definitely a great place to eat steak. While I may favor Mr. John's, it definitely can give Mr. John's a run for its money. I have a feeling my friend will now want to eat at Desi's vice Mr. John's. The staff was very welcoming and even the owner stopped by our table to say hi. Great atmosphere, great staff, and the best of all, great steaks!!!Special Features:
- Great Experience at Desi Vega'sGoodEatsDined on 8/9/2014We had 8:15 reservations for my wife's birthday. Very easy to pull up and valet park. They were crowded so we had to wait about 20 min but we enjoyed a cocktail at the bar. Service was outstanding. Food was deliscious. We had just about everything from appetizers to desert and every dish was amazing. The smell of steak when you walk in will make you drool. I highly recommend Desi Vega's and will be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gagnon/ HeitmeierGagnonDined on 8/7/2014We were all having dinner together, Desi Vega came by to say hello. That was awesome, super nice guy. We are all planning another trip back. Food was Devine, service was excellent and atmosphere was gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014Great happy hour at the bar! The Porter House steak for two is an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Top notch food & serviceLesPocheVIPDined on 8/6/2014Raymond, our waiter, was knowledgable & professional. The other servers at our table were as well. The food is top notch, with tender flavorful steaks and appetizers you would not expect to find at a steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another GREAT dining experience!!HappyCustomerDined on 8/6/2014It is always a pleasure to take someone to Desi Vega's that has never dined there before. I recently took my father who is a critic and a very outspoken Italian gentlemen. We told him how great the food and service was going to be, and again we were treated so special by the entire staff. Starting with the special greeting from the hostess; down to the courtesy of the wait staff, bus boys, and manager; it was truly a wonderful customer experience. Now let's talk about the food: AMAZING and consistent, which is so very important. I have no problem recommending Desi Vega's to anyone, and yes, even my father, the critic, thought the food and service was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/6/2014I was there for lunch, so I did not check out the wine list. Food and service were excelent. The space is large enough for groups, but the noise level could be a problem, if the rest of the restaurant is full. The large, floor to ceiling glass doors on 2 sides makes for a lovely view of the park, but doesn't offer much acoustics to buffer the noise.Special Features:
- Great DinnerRooster99Dined on 8/5/2014The steaks are fantastic and the server was also. Great place for a special occasion with your significant other or a group of friends.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceredwineDined on 8/2/2014This is my third time at Desi Vegas and it just keeps getting better. Cool bar serving very good cocktails. One of the tastiest ribeyes I have ever had, cooked to perfection. Same for the crab cakes. Impeccable service. Love this place!Special Features:
- Awesome dining experience!sph728Dined on 8/2/2014Best steaks hands down! Friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. Great recommendations about a few menu items. Chef Muggsy continues to cook amazing dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakyumyumDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed it and would recommend if you are looking for a great steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bdadinnerDined on 8/1/2014First time eating at this restaurant and was very pleased. Food and service was AWESOME!! Excellent choice. HIGHLY SATISFIED!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryperfectdatenightDined on 8/1/2014This was my wife and I's first visit to Desi Vega's; and it was worth every penny. The entire evening and every dish were outstanding. There was a small wait when we arrived even though we had reservations, which caught me off gaurd, but we were able to sample their wine selection in the lounge which made up for it. We were able to find the perfect bottle of wine for our evening with the bartender's help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!MaryinNolaDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I dined at Desi's Friday night and was very impressed with the food. After ordering we were treated to a mini meatball, compliments of Desi. It was a great starter to the night. We moved on to the who dat shrimp which were fantastic. We ordered the ribeye and filet. Both were cooked perfect. They came out sizzling from the kitchen. Our side dishes were the asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. The waiter highly recommended the Mac and Cheese, so we ordered that too and it was probably the only disappointment of the evening. We ended it with their bread pudding and peanut butter pie. Desi's menu is similar to Mr. Johns minus the Italian items. The restaurant itself is much brighter and modern than Mr. Johns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stingerDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I ate dinner there on 8/1/2014. The food was outstanding and the service was impeccable. Would highly recommend. We plan on returning.Special Features:
- OMGkaykayp45Dined on 8/1/2014From the moment we arrived this was an awesome experience. The waitstaff, especially Kevin, was on point. We enjoyed the Who Dat Shrimp for an appetizer. Yummy! Our rib eyes were grilled to perfection and the Oscar topping was superb! We enjoyed this dining experience and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to vacationBinkycydDined on 7/26/2014We stayed at the Lafayette Hotel which shares the same building as Desi Vega's; the desk clerk there shared her thoughts on the restaurant, and we couldn't resist! Two wait staff saw to our every need, and the steak and all the sides were the best we have ever had. This restaurant should be a MUST-SEE or every New Orleans' visitor!Special Features:
- Chilidog47chilidog47Dined on 7/26/2014Our first time at the restaurant and we were very impressed. We dined with three couples for a birthday diner and brought our own wine, vintage 81,94 and 95 and there was plenty of wine glasses immediately and the sommelier was very attentive and knowlegable. While the waiter was very young he was very good. The food was terrific, appetizer specialty was four large shrimp stuffed with boudin and wrapped in bacon. Steak and lamb was ordered by the table which were all cooked perfectly. The lamb chops were over garlic mashed potatoes and then the whole plate was covered with a reduction with brandy and fired at the table. Impressive. Not your average chain steak house-much better.Special Features:
- Raymond is fantasticTwallDined on 7/24/2014Food was very good and service outstanding. Every team member was friendly and attentive particularly Raymond beware of large parties - noise factorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.