4214 Central Ave SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.desertfishabq.com/
- Phone: 5052665544
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Sunday: Bar & Oyster Bar Open at 3pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Sunday: Dinner, 5pm to 9:30pm Friday & Saturday: Dinner, 5pm to 10:30pm Saturday & Sunday: Brunch, 12pm to 3pm Monday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Josh Gerwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room accomodating up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Keith Kushner 5052665525
- Entertainment: Live music venue.
A word from Desert Fish
Desert Fish, located in East Nob Hill, is dedicated to providing fresh seafood to Albuquerque. Our menu features Pacific Northwest inspired seafood dishes and includes selections from our oyster bar. Our bar specializes in fresh-squeezed cocktails, regional beers, and unique wines. Desert Fish is a live music venue, showcasing local and national talent.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Desert Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
- We always enjoy our diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/13/2013We always enjoy our dining at Desert Fish; Christopher is an excellent wait person and we can always rely on his suggestions to be excellent. Desert Fish had sent out an email earlier in the week with the fresh fish that would be available that weekend but when I inquired about one of them was told they sold out on Friday night. Christopher went to the kitchen and found they had one piece left and would fix it for us. Going the extra mile always impresses a diner and encourages a return visit.Special Features:
- Delicious oysters on the halfOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2013Delicious oysters on the half shell, great entrees. Excellent service.Special Features:
- I ordered the fish specialcormDined on 4/6/2013I ordered the fish special and my fish came fairly raw. I have never sent a dish back, but this one I did. Very disappointed.
- Quiet for Easter brunch. FishOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/31/2013Quiet for Easter brunch. Fish very high quality, seems exceptionally fresh.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceSaltoftheearthVIPDined on 3/17/2013Dinner for four on a Sunday evening. The service was excellent. Some diners liked their food more than others. The winning item was a pinon encrusted scallop dish. It's hard to find a place in Nob Hill where you can hear your fellow diners, and this fit the bill.Special Features:
- Loved it!zookeeperDined on 3/16/2013Wonderful menu selection and the food was fantastic! It won't be a quick meal, but it was nice to be able to have time to savor the food and not be rushed out. Will definately go back next time I am in Alb!Special Features:
- Seafood Brunch in the DesertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013Desert Fish was a very pleasant find with my Groupon. We walked in and there was a table full of Air Force personnel in a large group. I knew immediately we must have found a great place. I was impressed when they left that they each got an individual check. The food was great - I tried mussels and really enjoyed them. My husband had the fish and chips with some great tartar sauce and they were crispy not greasy. The salad greens were fresh and delicious. We will definitely go back as we love Nob Hill in Albuquerque and even though we couldn't see the ocean, the food was as good as I've had back East.Special Features:
- Go there!!!!epicuriousVIPDined on 3/2/2013The food was VERY good, the waiter knowledgeable attentive and generally switched on.One of us has a serious dietary restriction, which was accommodated with no fuss-they were already aware from the reservation,which doesn't always happen in restaurants. Seating is banquettes lining the wall, and 4tops assorted in ones and twos around the middle space. This could be more friendly if broken up, with large plants for example or some type of divider.There is good bar seating adjoining the raw bar.Special Features:
- First visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013I found the crab and shrimp tortellini to be bland, and had to ask for salt and pepper because there was none on the table. My wife's Hawaiian Snapper was only average. Even the carrot cake, normally a favorite of mine, was not very flavorful without adding the raisin sauce to it. The service was very good, however. My wife and I will probably try another visit just to see if the first time was an anomaly.
- Overall, a great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Overall, a great dining experience. The oysters were fresh and appetizing. The entrees were high quality and very flavorful. However, the entree portions were somewhat disappointing. The deserts were absolutely delicious with larger portions.Special Features:
- ONLY fresh seafood in AlbuquerqueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013ONLY place to get FRESH sea food in Albuquerque. Most desert folk don't know what fresh seafood is. Customer service has always been exemplary -even to those of us who can't afford to frequent such high-end establishments often and can't afford the most expensive entree on the menu. Even if you get the seafood salad or least expensive meal on the menu the staff is so friendly and accommodating -and you will never go back to Red Lobster again! We are going back to try the brunch and I will return without my son sometime so I can try out the bar menu -looks awesome.Special Features:
- I plan to never go to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013I plan to never go to this place again. I had the Mixed Fry. It was a mixture of items that all tasted the same with the most enormous portion of french fries that I've ever seen. There was no evidence of any fresh fish taste in the mess. The price was exceedingly high given what one gets. The interior seems run down. The waiter was very pleasant (by the way, I ignored his mention of specials because none had any stated prices; this is one of my unwritten rules). I decided to not ruin the atmosphere of our dinner-for-two by saying what I thought about the meal. It didn't seem this bad when I had a business meal there long ago. However, in hindsight, I recall that my guest at that meal seemed unimpressed.
- Great for all occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013My friend and I brought our young daughters for dinner - which made me a little nervous - but the server was great and the girls loved the food. We had a great time! Thank you!Special Features:
- My wife & I received a GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2013My wife & I received a Groupon coupon for this restaurant and decided to give it a try. We checked out the menu on line and read some of the reviews, (some of which were not so complementary). So, we went with a cautious but open mind. Simply put, it was a very pleasant dining experience. We both had the clam chowder, which we rated as good, but not the best. My wife then had the Crab & Shrimp Tortellini, I had the Cioppino. These choices were very good. For dessert, we had the Creme Brûlée and the Carrot Cake. These were also very good. Would we go back to Desert Fish? Absolutely. There are other items on the menu that we want to try. It is a little pricey, but for a special occasion and if you're a seafood lover, it's great.Special Features:
- Service was a bit slow, butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/26/2013Service was a bit slow, but the food quality more than made up for it.Special Features:
- Interesting restaurant. BareOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2013Interesting restaurant. Bare concrete floors detract from the ambience and the decor would best be described as "minimalist". The wine list was high end, but with reasonable prices, and included several French wines from decent chateaus. The soup, salad, and salmon were top grade. The truffle fries were the only disappointment as they were soggy. I've never understood why top-end restaurants can't match McDonald's fries. The oyster selection defies belief-I had no idea there were ten varieties of oysters. On our next visit, we'll do a sampling.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the spicy shrimp starter,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/24/2013Enjoyed the spicy shrimp starter, caesar salad & wine. The flavors of the shrimp and creamed corn were a very nice surprise.Special Features:
- Food took a while to come,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2013Food took a while to come, tasted bland and we had to ask for salt and pepper (it wasn't on the table). Food was overpriced for portion sizes. Won't go again, nothing special.
- not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013We were expecting more from this restaurant from the other reviews. Our food was average however the prices were not. Our wine glasses were barely 1/3 full while the tables around us were 1/2. The marlin entree was very uncooked and had to be sent back. Since we enjoy seafood and the different methods of preparation, we were surprised that this was served a notch above sushi and not a flaky outside with a translucent center.Maybe this evening was a murphy's law of food and service.
- Phenomenal!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013From the coctails, to the appetizers, to the main course, the Desert Fish was phenomenal. The service just as great!!! Loved the classy/casual atmosphere. Great first experience. Will definately revisit and recommend to others.Special Features:
- I loved the Beet Salad. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013I loved the Beet Salad. The fries were good but very oily. The waitress/hostess looked messy and not very well-groomed. It's an expensive place with tasty food I would expect the staff to be put together as well.Special Features:
- This was a disappointing visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013This was a disappointing visit to Desert Fish. The service was poor due to a lack of sufficient staff for a Friday evening. Even if the restaurant was fully staffed, the service would have been average. This is not Denny's Restaurant; Desert Fish should expect more from their service staff! Customer expectations are higher with this type of establishment. We ordered an $80.00 bottle of Chardonnay and our server did not start chilling it until we made the request, thus the wine was not chilled sufficiently by the time our entrees were served. This was bad planning on our servers part. Overall the food was good and the pork belly would be rated as excellent. The bartender did a great job; the martinis were excellent.
- From front desk through leavingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/22/2013From front desk through leaving an excellent restaurant experience. Consistently good.Special Features:
- The place looks cheap. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2013The place looks cheap. Food is decent but wayyy over priced!! We won't be going back.
- Great food, service and atmosphereSkippyVIPDined on 2/21/2013Great food, service and atmosphere Move over Prairie Star, Desert Fish rocks!Special Features:
- Too expensive for the qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013The food was not the right amount or the right quality for a $70 ticket. The happy hour food specials looked like something we would probably want to try but we will never sit at a table and order off the dinner menu again. Nothing special about the seating area.
- Absolutely a delight ! GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2013Absolutely a delight ! Great food and better service from Chris !! WILL RETURN !Special Features:
- The waiter was very friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2013The waiter was very friendly, but the service was very slow. Also, I thought the price was a bit high.Special Features:
- Consistency appears problematicOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2013Our second visit: not as impressive as the first. They were out of the salmon, scallops, snapper, and had no special or soup of the day. This was a Saturday night at 7:45. The only available fish was the big eye tuna, and the portion size was not worth $28. We will try once more, but the experience better be like our first trip and not this one if we are to return after that.
- Second time was not as impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013Second time was not as impressed. Service was a little slow and they were out of one ingredient that was the prime ingredient in 2 appetizers and 2 entrée dishes.Special Features:
- The waitstaff assistant placedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/16/2013The waitstaff assistant placed more emphasis on us then our waiter. Maybe he had to many tables. Was hoping for a better impression.
- Food was good but serviceRonGDined on 2/16/2013Food was good but service was very slow, 2-1/2hours SLOW! They were busy and our waiter was handling tables in both rooms. That meant he didn't come by as frequently as he should have. He was friendly and knowledgable but the wait between contacts was frustrating.Special Features:
- Condescending Restaurant.PIMHTDined on 2/16/2013Waiter condescending. Made for a mediocre dinner. Will not be going back. Topped it off by losing our credit card. Made it obvious he was looking on the ground, found it later in another's waiter's back pocket??!?!Special Features:
- Very good seafood and serviceOTKFVIPDined on 2/16/2013Very good seafood and service in a restaurant that has a surprisingly barren interior, e.g., concrete floors, bare playwood panels, few decorations, basic tables & chairs. An interior design makeover would improve the atmosphere.
- Food sounded good on the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Food sounded good on the menu but after a few bites was a little disappointing. The clam chowder was good though. The mixed fry plate was HUGE, way too many fries and the fish fry batter was not fully cooked. The service however was great! Will go back but this time for drinks...the bar looked very inviting!Special Features:
- Bad food and Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Service was the WORST I have ever experienced. Waiter was totally unattentive. Took over 25 minutes from the time we ordered wine until he brought it to the table. Then only to half of the 6 people at the table. The second wine order took another 15 minutes to bring out. It's just a bottle folks! We told him several times over the next hour that we were ready to order. After he finally took our order it was at least 45 minutes before the meal came. 3 of our party ordered the Kona Coffee encrusted Hawaiian Snapper. It was so overcooked and rubbery that it could have bounced 3 feet if you dropped it. What a horrible way to top off bad service! Never go here if you want good food or service.
- Disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2013I would not go back to this restaurant again. While we do like bread with our meal, and they did not serve any, I know many restaurants do not, so understandable, but would have been nice. The entrees were very small portions, I thought, and very pricey. My husband did not want the vegetable that came with the tuna he ordered, so the waiter suggested an appetizer order of the tuna and a side item of another vegetable. We originally appreciated the waiter suggesting this, however it ended up costing more than the original dish. They should have made the substitution without charge as most other restaurants would have. Their wine by the glass is extremely limited and also pricey. The ambience is very cold. I was disappointed to say the leastSpecial Features:
- Good place to take a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Good place to take a date who doesn't care too much about their palate. Don't look for subtlety, complexity or depth of flavors in the dish preparations. The prices are high for the dishes offered. The wines are pleasant.Special Features:
- Expensive seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Waited 30 minutes with reservation, food was ridiculously expensive for what we ordered. Will not be going back.
- Yummy but expensiveLoriDined on 2/14/2013We went for Valentine's Day, our first visit. Service was friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and s-l-o-w.It was abt 45 mins From the time we were seated until we were served our starters. They did serve us a yummy amuse bouche about 30 minutes into it. I thought the prices were quite high, especially for Albuquerque. The food was delicious and the shellfish fresh as can be. I asked for water three times and eventually had to go to the bar to get my own; the waiter said he had been waiting for clean glassware.Special Features: