5516 Manatee Avenue West
Bradenton, FL 34209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 9417941100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Derek Barnes
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for off premise drop-off
- Special Events: Yes
A word from Derek's
Chef/owner Derek Barnes brings together surprising combinations of flavors and textures in a progressive American cuisine. Adventurous diners will appreciate Derek’s unique creations, and those with less daring tastes will enjoy his modern comfort food. Drawing from a rich blend of culinary styles and traditions, Derek is committed to bringing pleasure to all five senses when you dine at Derek"s. A semifinalist for the prestigious James Beard Best Chef South award, Derek worked with Emeril Lagasse in the kitchen of Emeril’s in New Orleans before opening his own restaurant on the SunCoast. Derek’s talent for creating unique, delectable dishes has earned him Florida Trend’s Golden Spoon award, the "Most Innovative Chef" title in the Best of SRQ Magazine 2009, and inclusion in the exclusive 2009 Zagat America’s Top Restaurants listing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Derek's - Best Restaurants in Bradenton ›
Derek's reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (48)good for groups (23)romantic (20)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- tasty but place was vacantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had a romantic dinner and the food was very good. Prices are bit high for serving size. Place was nearly empty on a Thursday night. Place is nicely decorated and the food is unique. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014A really great addition to Bradenton! I recommend it. Please support our local restaurants.Special Features:
- Mouthgasm!ForkNinjaDined on 8/20/2014I went here with my husband for our anniversary dinner after a recommendation from a friend. I am so pleased that I did! The food was fantastic. We started with one of the best crab cakes I've ever had, and I've had MANY. As for entrées, I had the shrimp and grits and hubby had the short ribs. Both were outstanding. My favorite was the shrimp and grits. The savory andouille gravy over the grits and perfectly cooked shrimp was pure poetry. I cannot wait to go back. It will be difficult to try something else on the menu, as I'm obviously in love with the S & G!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derek's in BradentonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Found Derek's through an internet search and the menu looked interesting so we booked online, although the restaurant was very quiet (i think we were one of 4-5 tables in there, the service and standard of food was great, there was great little touches which added to the great menu, like home made parmesan choux buns instead of bread, mason jars for the kids drinks and homemade cookies following their meal. All in all a great meal out.Special Features:
- What are you waiting for?donna819Dined on 8/16/2014Go, eat, go back again, keep repeating. Superb dining experience. From the fried green tomatoes to the guiness ice cream. Each bit of food was flavorful and delicious, a testament of how talented chef Derek Barnes is. I wish I lived here in Bradenton so I could savor and try each item on the menu repeatedly. I am going back for lunch today before I head home. I need to try more items so I can take home the memory of what an outstanding meal should be. Wait staff was professional and pleasant. The chef greeted each table and also helped serve when the restaurant got busy.Service was flawless. Ambience was casual but the food was anything but. Do yourself a favor and run to eat at Dereks now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose some where elseVinoDined on 8/14/2014Prices for small plates too high. Gnocchi was over done. Atmosphere was lame. I felt like I was eating at a high end Old Country Buffett.
- Great Friday nite dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014eclectic menu, many choices, a delicious special. Good service. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014Great food and service. A must try. Had the braised short ribs which were fantastic. Others enjoyed muddle, filet, fish taxis tacos. Waitress was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!LocalDined on 8/6/2014Go. It's pricey but, for a special time, worth it.Special Features:
- Good food, comfortable and pleasantTiresiasDined on 8/5/2014In a way, Derek's reminds me of dining in Italy: several different courses, a little bit of time, and all of it delectable. This is how I like to dine. Some, are used to the large portions of the chain steakhouses, may find the size of the meals small. The wine list is large enough for exploration without being intimidating, and had many selections which I have not seen before. I look forward to trying some more from that list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the old Derek'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014We ordered the special of the evening and it was wonderful. The rest of the menu was not very exciting. The ambiance was "rustic" just as the name implied........ again, not exciting. We miss the Derek's in the Rosemary Court District. I don't think I would go out of my way to go back, but if I lived close by I would definitely check out the specials on occaision.
- Try Derek's!bbeckDined on 8/2/2014For all diners in Bradenton: Must try Derek's! Great restaurant for large groups or a romantic twosome! Excellent! Bob BeckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great - service not so much.Tambo083062Dined on 8/2/2014We went out for my husband's birthday. We had the pleasure of dining here once before. Thank goodness because we may not have came back after this experience. The server was not good. He was not sure of the menu. He was spilling water everywhere when filling the glasses but insisted on doing it over the table. When I questioned the temp of my dish, I was chastised instead of assured my meal would be right. The service was very slow as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newgatorDined on 8/1/2014Our first visit. Server was very cordial and informative about the menu and specials. Her attentiveness continued throughout the meal, approaching (but not exceeding) a tad too many check ins, i.e. interrupting our conversations. Menu items offered good choice and some interesting-sounding combinations. One diner had braised short ribs with mashed potatoes; called it excellent comfort food. Another had shrimp and grits in Andouille gravy, very tasty without being overpowering. The third had shrimp in a pesto sauce over linguine, good flavor, but felt the amount of sauce was a bit too much. Three delicious desserts: local variations on bread pudding and key lime pie, and a trio of a sorbet and two ice creams. Would visit again.Special Features:
- Great friendly jointFtthomasguyDined on 7/26/2014Excellent meal, service & atmosphere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derek's -- still super foodFoodie915Dined on 7/26/2014We finally got up to Derek's new location in Bradenton. Had a wonderful meal, and the offerings are imaginative and delicious. Nice casual atmosphere- they have done a super job renovating the old space. All over very enjoyable. Just wish the powers that be would have tried harder to keep him in Sarasota. A long drive for us, but we will be back!Special Features:
- Derek's GemLorraine7Dined on 7/26/2014We ate occasionally at the SRQ location and we loved it..so happy you moved to our neck of the woods..I like this atmosphere better..more FL friendly and the food is still superb!....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derecks worth another visitbarbaramacDined on 7/26/2014A trendy, upscale, boutique restaurant in a neighborhood you wouldnt expect to find it in. Food was good overall, better than average and imaginative, but takes some getting used too:i.e. red grits and green shrimp... Gumbo too thick, wrong color & too much rice but flavor close to authentic Louisiana fare. Chef, you just opened last December 2013! looking forward to better & better...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend&great for foodies!MitcheDined on 7/25/2014Great food and staff is very attentive! A recommendation I would have on our meal was we had mussels for an appetizer and they were excellent but need to serve with more bread for dipping in the juice. We had to request more bread. A little on the higher end for price but worth it! Would definitely recommend a great place to celebrate a special occasion. I wouldn't take children there unless they have a great appreciation for food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014We enjoy eating at Derek's because you can alway expect well prepared food with emphasis on freshness and great flavor. Three of us shared the mussels tonight and we all agreed that we should have had our own serving of mussels, great grilled bread, a salad and called it a night. I wasn't too impressed with my wedge salad as I dound the dressing a bit weak and the fried onion rings did nothing to add to the salad. The special was red snapper and the sauce was delightful with perfectly cooked asparagus and the potatoes were and excellent addition. Another good meal at Derek's. What a good restaurant for West Bradenton.Special Features:
- Derek's Customer ExperienceweluvfoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014One very small issue caused us to have an overall unfavorable impression of Derek's. Our total bill was around $200 for four people. We ordered appetizers to start, one of which was mussels which were quite good. Our wait person (without us asking) bought us a few slices of additional bread commenting that we should use it for dipping into the mussel sauce. When our bill came, there was a charge of $1.00 for a side order of bread. So what we had thought was a nice gesture on the part of our wait person to help us further enjoy the dinner turned out to be the one negative that completely turned us off on Derek's. Please know that it's not about paying one more dollar on a $200 dinner bill, its about providing us with a positive experience.Special Features:
- Our go-to placegldmDined on 7/23/2014Whenever we want a really nice lunch or dinner, we think of Derek's first. When our son recently visited from out-of-town, Derek's was the one place that we wanted to make sure to take him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at Derek's. The good was really good. Not just good but really good. The presentation was excellent, the waitress was awesome. Very attentive but left us alone at the same time. Not the best views due to restaurant location but we didn't go there for that. So if you want a great meal at the low-mid twenty range for an entree this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful restaurant!DonnaDined on 7/19/2014First visit since opening. What a delight! Service was impeccable. Food was awesome. We ordered braised short ribs and grouper. Ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender. Grouper was grilled perfectly. No heavy sauces-just really good food. As a local, we couldn't be happier to have such a nice restaurant in the area. Casual attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodVinceDined on 7/16/2014This was our first time there. We arrived on time and had a reservation. However, it was not needed as the restaurant was not very crowded due to the early hour. It was starting to get more crowded as we were leaving. The server - Dan - was very attentive. He knew the menu well. The food was served timely and hot and was very good. I suggest this as a place to go anytime. Pricing was very good for the value. Good selection of beer and wine and not overpriced.Special Features:
- Don't miss this unique restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Derek's, now located in Bradenton, is amazing! The menu is unique and creative, offering a true culinary experience. The specials are outstanding, and be sure to save room for the exquisite desserts! Chef Derek is fabulous and offers that personal touch. What a find, not to be missedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerJessDined on 7/7/2014We loved having our anniversary dinner at Derek's! The food was delicious ( try the fried green tomatoes & key lime pie! ), the atmosphere relaxing, & the staff friendly & knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerGourmetTomDined on 7/3/2014Great food, friendly attentive staff. Menu choices and specials were excellent. Nice wine list. A little pricey, but certainly a cut above the average restaurant. We will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TripsalotDined on 6/28/2014Got a bad table right by serving station but the vibe among servers was actually really upbeat. Chicken liver app was great - Caesar salad not. We both had yellowtail special which was amazing - desserts really good too! Moderately priced wine list, service was casual but professional !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The restaurant is fairly new, since December of 2013. Excellent décor, all the staff was pleasantly attentive, excellent service and we had easy access to the owner and chef. The grooper was outstanding. My husband and I will definitely return and bring our friends. Recommend highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our dinners.....searchingDined on 6/21/2014Husband had gumbo and pork chop, I had caprese salad and short ribs. All were tasty. Initial service was a bit slow. I am always taken aback when restaurants don't have liquor licenses here in FL - just not used to this yet. Then waitress wants us to choose wine before we have decided on dinner. Awkward. Also, they are very stingy with their little bread thingys -like they are precious. I would prefer real bread.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timepepelepughDined on 6/20/2014Out first visit was a bust. They had only been open for a short time and the waitress was giving us excuse after excuse. This time was better. Food was average. Sadly it was not busy at all. Derek really needs to stepbot up or this spot will not last. Even a quick "how's the food" to the handful of customers goes a long way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014Derek's has really done a great job at his new location — much more casual and attainable food than he previous place. Loved the atmosphere and we loved everything we ate!Special Features:
- Deega3Dined on 6/18/2014Delicious food and great service. Just as wonderful as their previous location in Sarasota. They still have my favorite dessert, s'mores!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/16/2014We love having a reasturant with such good food so close to Palmetto. We dined on a Monday evening and it was a typical, off Season light crowd which made for good service, hot food and a non rushed time. Everyone enjoyed their appetizers and salads although I think a restaurant of this quality should serve homemade croutons on a Ceasar. Seafood tacos were over the top with much flavor and undeniably fresh. Grouper was a beautiful presentation but 3 diners thought it was not the freshest. It was a Monday so maybe the grouper was not Monday's catch?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014The food is delicious and very fresh. The wait staff try too hard to be enthusiastic about the menu, bordering on obnoxious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceDinnerDined on 6/11/2014This has been my 5th visit to Derek's and it keeps getting better. You're greeted from when you first walk in from a very polite host, with a minimal wait time. Our server explained what was new on the menu and shared her personal favorites. She made the experience perfect. Even better than her, was the yellow fin tuna, which was amazing. Seared perfectly and accompanied with the perfect sides. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dereks - a Miami perspectiveNoyra25Dined on 6/7/2014Overall the food was quite good and I have to say that I would fawn over anyone who prepared those shrimp and grits - they were absolutely delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Very good food, and good service. Small restaurant not noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Townwilltravel4foodDined on 6/6/2014Derek's is the best thing to happen in NW Bradenton in the last 20 years. It's our new go-to place for dinner, close to home, and as good or better than any restaurant we've driven 100 miles to find. It's a great place to meet friends, or make new ones. Casual elegance! Food presented well. Balanced, intense flavors. Strong New Orleans influence. Never a dud on the menu. Wait staff must all be foodies they are so knowledgeable. Solid beer and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.