5516 Manatee Avenue West
Bradenton, FL 34209Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (941) 794-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Derek Barnes
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Available for off premise drop-off
- Special Events: Yes
A word from Derek's
Chef/owner Derek Barnes brings together surprising combinations of flavors and textures in a progressive American cuisine. Adventurous diners will appreciate Derek’s unique creations, and those with less daring tastes will enjoy his modern comfort food. Drawing from a rich blend of culinary styles and traditions, Derek is committed to bringing pleasure to all five senses when you dine at Derek"s. A semifinalist for the prestigious James Beard Best Chef South award, Derek worked with Emeril Lagasse in the kitchen of Emeril’s in New Orleans before opening his own restaurant on the SunCoast. Derek’s talent for creating unique, delectable dishes has earned him Florida Trend’s Golden Spoon award, the "Most Innovative Chef" title in the Best of SRQ Magazine 2009, and inclusion in the exclusive 2009 Zagat America’s Top Restaurants listing.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Derek's - Best Restaurants in Bradenton ›
Derek's reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (40)good for groups (22)notable wine list (21)romantic (16)great for lunch (14)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2014great fish tacos. crawfish papardelle was good, not great. service excellent .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too fast to enjoyMrsDASDined on 11/14/2014Friendly service except food came too quickly to enjoy it or even a second glass of wine. Someone other than our server brought and exicuted the bill which was a bit odd. The dishes, evening feature, a pork shank, was delicious and the Mahi was benign and unmemorable. I'd like to give Derek's another go to redeem themselves because I think they can.
- Just FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2014Since Derek's moved to Bradenton his Restauant is clearly the best there. The food is exceptional, the service outstanding and the price is right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bradenton meets Bourbon StreetO2BlueDined on 10/31/2014Some of the best New Orleans style food we've had since traveling to that city. Save room for desert as that menu is a nice surprise as well. Service was fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Innovative and well crafted dishes. Derek is on top of his game!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- golferchick24golferchick24Dined on 10/20/2014We dined at Derek's when it was in Sarasota and enjoyed it even more at the new Bradenton location. Our party of six each ordered something different and everyone raved about their meal. Service was great and the food was outstanding and presented very well. We look forward to going again. Prices very reasonable.Special Features:
- ♡ Derek'sLovetoTravelSRQVIPDined on 10/10/2014My office is downtown near the former Sarasota location and I miss that for lunch but I was thrilled when I learned that the new location was to be near my home in Bradenton. We take a lot of friends here and are never disappointed. Derek has a gift for combining flavors and is particularly adept with fish, which is always fresh and delicious. I highly recommend this little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sejAlexandraDined on 10/8/2014Best place I've been to in Bradenton. The chef was very much a presence in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014DELICIOUS FOOD AND EXCELLENT SERVICE! GOOD VALUE FOR THE PRICE.Special Features:
- DisappointingFLSunshineGirlDined on 10/3/2014Perhaps our expectations were too high as this is touted as a gourmet restaurant, so much so that the chef will not substitute anything on the menu since he has personally selected the foods to go with each other. (The alterative is to build your own grilled dinner.) The short ribs were very fatty with a good flavor but a very thin sauce. The flatbreads were actually pizzas. The best dish was the sausage Bolognese with pasta. There is no variety in the wines by the glass. Service was welcoming and nice but then deteriorated. One appetizer was forgotten and we had to ask to have one of our entrees delivered. We wanted a leisurely and excellent meal with time to sit and talk. Instead we had OK food; OK service and a lo of noise.Special Features:
- A Gold Mine! Best seafood ever!foodreviewerVIPDined on 10/2/2014We are so happy to find such a wonderful restaurant in our area. Every meal surpassed our expectations. We have had the local flounder, and grouper, and they were the best of any restaurant we have ever been to! Everything is made from scratch, and you can tell, all food is amazing. And the Fried Key Lime Pie is something to die for. We have to take all our friends there, and get desserts to go for others! You will be wowed! Make it a point to try Derek's, as much as I would like to keep this gold mine to myself, and I see the word is getting out!Special Features:
- Out of the ordinary menumamieDined on 9/29/2014We enjoyed the very friendly service and the nice choice of different foods. My husband took the sweetbreads for an appetizer. Where do you find sweetbreads in Bradenton? very good too by the way, I had the gumbo with home made cured sausages, very good , a tiny bit on the greasy side but very tasty.Our friend had a "small plate" crab cake, she loved it !For the main meal, my husband took grilled shrimp, they were barely cooked and 4 shrimps for $25.00 was a bit much !Nothing extraordinary in their taste either. I had the seafood muddle, very nice ,lots of seafood in it ,could have been a little more seasonned but I enjoyed it. Overall we had a good time , and the food was good and we loved the diversity of the menu. We''ll be backSpecial Features:
- Excellent restaurantfood2014Dined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was in downtown Sarasota and moved to Manatee Ave, it is more than worth the drive. The waiter we had was so professional and knowledgeable about all the dishes. There was a wide variety of dishes and each had special touches. The food was creative, fresh and warm and the service was great. You would never know this was an old Arbys the decor was fantastic, a definite repeat.Special Features:
- ExcellentRcagle1Dined on 9/26/2014Dinner was excellent, service was top notch and very friendly, loved the food, flounder was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysSgodfreyDined on 9/26/2014As always the wow factor was delivered. Great blend of flavors from start to finish. Our table toured the whole menu from the seafood muddle, the simple grill steak with blue cheese, braised short ribs, and the flounder special. Not one crumb left behind. Save room for the s'mores and the fried key lime WOWSERSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitKahunaDined on 9/20/2014We finally got to the new Derek's in Bradenton. We really miss them in Sarasota and only recently were able to get to the new location, and it was worth the wait. Creative menu, good ambiance and service, delicious food and can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- XxxSigfriedDined on 9/20/2014Overall good experience Signature dish not as good as usual A bit priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glussyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Interesting and unusual wine choices. The kale salad was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I have been to Derek's three times since they opened. The food is delicious and presented beautifully. The chef has a very special touch with his presentation. What keeps us from going more often is the noise level, the closeness of the tables, and the price point. When I choose to pay for a higher end meal, I want the ambiance to go along with it. The Sarasota ambiance was much better than Bradenton's.Special Features:
- Great Food!!AndyvonneDined on 9/6/2014An excellent evening was had by all Great food and wine, great and attentive service, a definite must visit again. Fabulous in every way!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJacynthpDined on 9/1/2014Calamari terrific with his own sauce. Caprese flat bread really yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Dark Star"RunningboredomDined on 8/30/2014Unbelieveable! My daughter, son and i just get settled in with a bright glass of the friendly waiters white wine recommendation when the power goes off. Yup. All of it. Derek himself announces he can cook in the dark so with slight apprehension and cande lite we go for it. Any way, to make a long story short, he can! The servers brought the plates via flashlight, then illuminated them for us. Like a spotlight on Buble they popped! We tasted each others entrees and unanimously agreed that every thing was deliberately unpretentious perfection. Food...Beautiful. Delicious. Lovely and yes friendly. I would eat there every day without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but place was vacantluvatfirstsiteDined on 8/28/2014Had a romantic dinner and the food was very good. Prices are bit high for serving size. Place was nearly empty on a Thursday night. Place is nicely decorated and the food is unique. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014A really great addition to Bradenton! I recommend it. Please support our local restaurants.Special Features:
- Derek's Gets BetterTheSeriousFoodieDotNetVIPDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed Derek's when he was cooking in Sarasota, but we feel that he is more in his element cooking gourmet Southern comfort food at his Bradenton restaurant. Derek himself seems very at ease, jovial, and into mingling with his clientele. The small plate/large plate concept works well with this audience, and the familiar ingredients strike a positive cord. The fish is local and very fresh (always a big positive in our book), and done perfectly. The wine list, along with a good selection of beers, is very interesting, affordable, and matches well with the food. We will make a habit of returning.Special Features:
- Mouthgasm!ForkNinjaDined on 8/20/2014I went here with my husband for our anniversary dinner after a recommendation from a friend. I am so pleased that I did! The food was fantastic. We started with one of the best crab cakes I've ever had, and I've had MANY. As for entrées, I had the shrimp and grits and hubby had the short ribs. Both were outstanding. My favorite was the shrimp and grits. The savory andouille gravy over the grits and perfectly cooked shrimp was pure poetry. I cannot wait to go back. It will be difficult to try something else on the menu, as I'm obviously in love with the S & G!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derek's in BradentonEllie12345Dined on 8/19/2014Found Derek's through an internet search and the menu looked interesting so we booked online, although the restaurant was very quiet (i think we were one of 4-5 tables in there, the service and standard of food was great, there was great little touches which added to the great menu, like home made parmesan choux buns instead of bread, mason jars for the kids drinks and homemade cookies following their meal. All in all a great meal out.Special Features:
- What are you waiting for?donna819Dined on 8/16/2014Go, eat, go back again, keep repeating. Superb dining experience. From the fried green tomatoes to the guiness ice cream. Each bit of food was flavorful and delicious, a testament of how talented chef Derek Barnes is. I wish I lived here in Bradenton so I could savor and try each item on the menu repeatedly. I am going back for lunch today before I head home. I need to try more items so I can take home the memory of what an outstanding meal should be. Wait staff was professional and pleasant. The chef greeted each table and also helped serve when the restaurant got busy.Service was flawless. Ambience was casual but the food was anything but. Do yourself a favor and run to eat at Dereks now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Choose some where elseVinoDined on 8/14/2014Prices for small plates too high. Gnocchi was over done. Atmosphere was lame. I felt like I was eating at a high end Old Country Buffett.
- Great Friday nite dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014eclectic menu, many choices, a delicious special. Good service. Good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/7/2014Great food and service. A must try. Had the braised short ribs which were fantastic. Others enjoyed muddle, filet, fish taxis tacos. Waitress was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!LocalDined on 8/6/2014Go. It's pricey but, for a special time, worth it.Special Features:
- Good food, comfortable and pleasantTiresiasDined on 8/5/2014In a way, Derek's reminds me of dining in Italy: several different courses, a little bit of time, and all of it delectable. This is how I like to dine. Some, are used to the large portions of the chain steakhouses, may find the size of the meals small. The wine list is large enough for exploration without being intimidating, and had many selections which I have not seen before. I look forward to trying some more from that list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the old Derek'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014We ordered the special of the evening and it was wonderful. The rest of the menu was not very exciting. The ambiance was "rustic" just as the name implied........ again, not exciting. We miss the Derek's in the Rosemary Court District. I don't think I would go out of my way to go back, but if I lived close by I would definitely check out the specials on occaision.
- Try Derek's!bbeckDined on 8/2/2014For all diners in Bradenton: Must try Derek's! Great restaurant for large groups or a romantic twosome! Excellent! Bob BeckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great - service not so much.Tambo083062Dined on 8/2/2014We went out for my husband's birthday. We had the pleasure of dining here once before. Thank goodness because we may not have came back after this experience. The server was not good. He was not sure of the menu. He was spilling water everywhere when filling the glasses but insisted on doing it over the table. When I questioned the temp of my dish, I was chastised instead of assured my meal would be right. The service was very slow as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newgatorDined on 8/1/2014Our first visit. Server was very cordial and informative about the menu and specials. Her attentiveness continued throughout the meal, approaching (but not exceeding) a tad too many check ins, i.e. interrupting our conversations. Menu items offered good choice and some interesting-sounding combinations. One diner had braised short ribs with mashed potatoes; called it excellent comfort food. Another had shrimp and grits in Andouille gravy, very tasty without being overpowering. The third had shrimp in a pesto sauce over linguine, good flavor, but felt the amount of sauce was a bit too much. Three delicious desserts: local variations on bread pudding and key lime pie, and a trio of a sorbet and two ice creams. Would visit again.Special Features:
- Great friendly jointFtthomasguyDined on 7/26/2014Excellent meal, service & atmosphere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Derek's -- still super foodFoodie915Dined on 7/26/2014We finally got up to Derek's new location in Bradenton. Had a wonderful meal, and the offerings are imaginative and delicious. Nice casual atmosphere- they have done a super job renovating the old space. All over very enjoyable. Just wish the powers that be would have tried harder to keep him in Sarasota. A long drive for us, but we will be back!Special Features:
- Derek's GemLorraine7Dined on 7/26/2014We ate occasionally at the SRQ location and we loved it..so happy you moved to our neck of the woods..I like this atmosphere better..more FL friendly and the food is still superb!....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.