Der Fondue Chessel
Top of North Peak Mtn
Keystone, CO 80435-7821Neighborhood:
FonduePrice: $50 and over
Der Fondue Chessel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.keystoneresort.com/diningdetail/Key+-+Der+Fondue+Chessel.axd
- Phone: 9704964386
- Hours of Operation:
Summer: Thursday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 8:45pm
Winter: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 8:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue
- Executive Chef: Ric Reichert
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Our strolling musicians will keep your toes tapping to their traditional Bavarian songs and don"t be surprised if you find yourself doing the Chicken Dance at 11,444'.
- Cross Street: Highway 6
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: DIRECTIONS TO THE DER FONDUE CHESSEL Drive through Keystone Resort and turn right onto East Keystone Road (River Run Village Sign) Turn left onto Gondola Road Turn right into "Montezuma Free Parking Lot" and park Walk through the center of River Run Village toward the base of the mountain Check in at the Mountain Service Center Board the River Run Gondola Exit the River Run Gondola and walk across the summit to board the Outpost Gondola Enjoy a 20 minute ride to North Peak.
A word from Der Fondue Chessel
Der Fondue Chessel is a fondue lover’s dream, whether it's a cozy dinner for two or a fun group gathering. Enjoy authentic a fondue experience atop Keystone's North Peak Mountain. It is a very cozy atmosphere with an element of adventure as you arrive by gondola.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Der Fondue Chessel reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (12)special occasion (11)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (8)romantic (4)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A Real Dining Experience!CTfamilyDined on 8/7/2014Our family of 6 had a wonderful evening here. From the gondola ride, to the mid-mountain lawn games and stunning views, to the multiple courses and choice and quantity of food to the live, charming musicians, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Even my moody 16 year-old son cracked some smiles and ate well that night. I read other reviews complaining about the price, but for the "event" that this is, it's reasonable. Cost can stay down if you don't order all the extra meats/seafood and desserts which really aren't needed since so much food is provided. We took home leftovers. Service was terrific - we had kind and efficient servers. We'll never forget this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less positive than in the pastColoradoTravelerDined on 8/7/2014Having dined at Der Fondue Chessel, a number of times in the past, I found that the experience had diminished. The food portions are large but most of the meats and desserts now had surcharges. The warm potato salad was not great. Our servers were excellent but too many tables per server to do their best. I would recommend this experience now with reservations as a one-time experience for visitors but not for regular visitors to Summit County or residents. Lots of food to eat and a great mountain experience. In the end, it's easy to hit $100/person or more with tip for the meal if wine or "extras" are purchased. That value varies based on one's expectations. Ours weren't fully met.Special Features:
- greatgreatDined on 7/24/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere, service and food! A neat experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great settingflybobDined on 7/17/2014On the pricey side with a menu that offers many ways to spend more money. Interesting place for a special night out, kid friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool location, entertainment, foodkltinnycforjb40Dined on 7/3/2014Took my wife and two boys for late dinner. Everyone enjoyed the Austria entertainers and the food was very good. Kids loved being able to make their own dinner and dessert right at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It’s an experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014When you dinner requires two different gondolas to ascend to it location, you know you are in for something unique. Granted it was expensive, but it was about the experience more than the food. The food was adequate, the service decent, the entertainment fun, the ambience was nice, the views were speculator. The downside was you had to decent the stairs anytime you wanted to use the restroom; and the room got quite warm especially when the griddles and burners were lit at your table. Too bad they couldn't have opened some of the windows/doors (but that would have froze out those sitting next to them).Special Features:
- Opinion of restaurantdiningout2014Dined on 6/27/2014The gondola ride has spectacular scenery. However; make sure you look at your bill at the end of your dining. We were charged $10.00 extra per person. After I brought it their attention the bill was fixed to the correct price. The music was a lot of fun and the atmosphere very nice. Food was ok for the price. I believe it is more about the experience itself than what you eat. I would reccommend if you have a special occasion and at least $200.00 for 4 people.Special Features:
- FantasticrickybDined on 6/27/2014Der Fondue Chessel featured a lot of fantastic, German style food - so much I could not finish. The wait staff was very helpful explaining exactly what to do with the fondue cookers and making suggestions on combinations. The atmosphere featured some German singers and the view around the restaurant is second to none. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 138 reviews are from the Der Fondue Chessel reviews archive.
- Highlight of our VacationFavDinerDined on 3/29/2014Located at the top of the mountain peak, we started our evening with a 30min gondola ride. The sun was setting & the mountain view was awesome. The atmosphere was fun, filled with music from the bavarian polka band & groups were singing along throughout their dinner. There was many small kids running around & being overly noisy but they were filing out as we were seated so it may be worth a later time if you want to avoid that. Our servers were friendly & walked us through the whole process. Besides the "meal package" we each added additional protein which added to the cost but then we had enough food for our group of 3. Overall it was about $150 per person for our drinks, meal, dessert & the additional taxes but the experience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the experience, not the foodPeterVIPDined on 3/28/2014Way over priced for quality of food. You are paying for the tram ride up, really, which is a lot of fun.
- FunDakotaBrown1VIPDined on 3/28/2014After a day of skiing a fondue dinner in front of a huge fireplace is delightful. The price is right for the amount of food you receive. It is a fun atmosphere. The service is pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacky but funOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2014The lederhosen outfits and band are pretty goofy, but the food is excellent, its always fun to choose and prepare your own raclette, and the nighttime gondola rides are worth the commute up the hill! Pricey. Spent $150 between 2 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopesSusanDined on 3/26/2014Been here 15 years ago & had great memories of a very special meal & experience. For xmas gift, we decided to treat our parents to a fun, family night here during family reunion. Service very poor-many of us waiting 20 minutes longer than others to get 1st drink & having to ask for it 3 times. 2nd/3rd drinks were equally challenging to receive. Food was delicious but not enough & spread throughout the long table making difficult to access what you'd ordered. Asked for more of some foods~were never delivered/ delivered so late that no longer wanted. Very disappointing experience esp considering such steep bill/auto tip for inattentive waitress more than I make in 2 days as a school teacher.The music entertainment was def the high point.
- Food was OK, service was notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Ordered German beer and soda for kids. Never received it. Sat at table for 15 minutes before we were approached by server, plus the place was 80% empty since it was a Thursday and the last reservation. You received plenty of food. Kids did not care for the classic cheese fondue with white wine... we should of order the other cheese. Servers did bring us for "dippers" for the chocolate which was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerKellyDined on 3/15/2014This was my second time visiting Der Fondue Chessel, and it was even tastier than I had remembered. I was celebrating my 30th Birthday with friends and family and enjoying getting to indulge in wonderful food and fondue. The service was wonderful and interactive music is always exciting! Was a bit chilly that night inside the restaurant, but blankets on the Gondola were a plus! The view is also spectacular at the top and is like a fun/festive dinner surrounded by nothing by snow and mountains and great company, entertainment, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceUkskierDined on 3/15/2014A very enjoyable evening. Efficient and helpful service. Food was very plentiful and good quality Wine expensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must do once a year.bajamamamaDined on 3/13/2014Its a long ride on the gondola and sometimes it can be cold! The food is quite good but pricy (probably because it has to be shipped up the mountain too. This year the service was slow, it seamed like our waitress had too many tables to take care of. I will go back again next year because it is fun and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningDhomDined on 3/13/2014My wife and I went as a spur of the moment overnight getaway. The food was great, we added elk based on our server's recommendation. The hall was a great spot to eat, we went in early evening so the band hadn't started playing until we were almost done and the noise level was low. The gondola rides to get there were great bookends to the experience. Only possible negative is the price, but we did get our money's worth in food and the per person price is in line with other Fondue restaurants w/o the added benefit of scenery and transportation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont be surprizedSkyhighdinerDined on 3/12/2014Although the atmosphere is awesome, the meal is not that great for the price you have to pay. You are paying for the experience/atmosphere, not the food! Loved the "Oompa" band!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive great atmosphere!SpringbreakerDined on 3/12/2014Can't comment so much on the food since you cook it yourself. I will say that for the price you pay, the amount of food is skimpy. I had four adults and spent $450 including tax, surcharge, and tip. This only included two alcoholic drinks. For your meat portion, you get six ounces. I understand that this is the appropriate serving size, but it's not realistic for most grown men. It's not what you have in mind when you spend this amount of money. I had two 18 year old athletic boys, and they were wanting more. Other than serving size, the restaurant was a very enjoyable place to be. The music and dancing is really enjoyable, especially for kids. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wasn't impressed. The serviceTammyDined on 3/8/2014I wasn't impressed. The service was terrible. The band, although fun, didn't really engage the crowd as I thought they would, except one time for the chicken dance. The food was average at best. Not worth the price!Special Features:
- The coat check people wereBrookeDined on 2/27/2014The coat check people were friendly. Sitting by the fireplace was nice. The cheese and chocolate fondues were good but the dipping choices were not as good as the Melting Pot. The server let the oil sit on the hot plate and scorch but all in all it was a good evening. We did feel a little rushed even though it was a Thursday night and there was no other parties behind ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most Fun SpotECMODined on 2/27/2014Great fun and great food. A great place for groups and families although couple would love it too. Gondola ride at night always fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$FranzDined on 2/26/2014Have dined there often. Only complaint is that it is getting very pricey.Special Features:
- Family FunfamilyDined on 2/26/2014Our family recently enjoyed the fondue at the Der Fondue Chessel and had a fantastic time. The food was great and the service was outstanding. No matter what we needed, or how often, the staff was " johnny on the spot". The musicians were a lot of fun and we all enjoyed the chicken dance. This trip was a family Christmas gift to our children and Grandchidren. We definitely have deposited a lot of wonderful memories into everyone's memory bank. Thank you so much for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a really nice meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2014We had a really nice meal. It was a great special event for our family reunion. We had 9 people. The only real complaint is that for large groups they add on quite a large gratuity (one of our members was 2). That combined with the resort tax made this an extraordinarily expensive meal. The cheese fondue was very good and we all liked the raclette dishes were very popular. Good caesar salad (large portion) and chocolate fondue a huge hit too. The gondola ride up (blankets provided) was great. We wish we had ridden up when it was still light to really enjoy the views. We had problems with google maps which kept taking us to the wrong places. There could be much better signage in the parking lots and on the roads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moutain top fondueHeatherDined on 2/19/2014The restaurant had a great food selection, some different meats which were excellent. The views were fantastic and the ambiance was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK - but not really Fondue...StGeorgeVIPDined on 2/16/2014This is fondue, but only just. For two folks, you get a small saucepan of cheese fondue, then a raclette set for grilling meats and melting cheese (yes, I know 'fondue' means 'melted') and then a chocolate fondue for dessert. But if you want to have just a typical Swiss cheese fondue, you are SOL. And if you want an oil fondue where you cook meats, you are also SOL. This last point is something to do with oil not boiling at altitude. So, why not have the fondue restaurant down in Keystone? That would spare you the gondola ride and - I should add - the risk of being stuck in the restaurant for the night. Don't necessarily discount this last possibility, especially if you have small kids: it almost happened to us. You can do better elsewhere.
- What a great night!BrutusDined on 2/14/2014Took my sweetheart here for valentines day after hanging out in Breckenridge for a couple hours. We were not disappointed! Great food, great service, lively entertainment! A great evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally unique experienceKhoganDined on 2/14/2014Set on a mountain top near keystone,CO, this restaurant is one of a kind. We went for our five year anniversary. You take three gondola rides to get there. Log cabin design. Live music. There were several families and kids. The service was outstanding. Food was great. We had the best time. Go eat here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but waaaaaytoo much foodStorkelDined on 2/14/2014It was wonderful and delicious, but be warned -- the food just keeps coming and coming. Try the elk!Special Features:
- Great NightJennDined on 2/14/2014We were visiting Keystone with friends for the weekend and it was such a highlight to visit this restaurant on Valentine's day. The service was wonderful and the ambience was great too! It never felt crowded or did we feel neglected! Great time for all! We left so very full!Special Features:
- Wonderful!!ReviewerDined on 2/14/2014We will definitely visit this place again! The food was delicious. The ambiance was exciting and authentic. There live musicians were very entertaining. Dessert was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bit of Europe in ColoradoLoulouDined on 2/14/2014Great meal, service and band, very enjoyable night out, loved the gondola ride and the blanket, every one was so nice, went for valentines day and was made really great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but priceyMaggieDined on 2/14/2014They've got a great atmosphere here on top of the mountain. It's two long gondola rides to get here but they make you feel welcome. It is quite pricey - count on $100 a head foe fondue, which isn't exactly gourmet but very fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerLakeLanierDined on 2/8/2014Wonderful cheeses, meats, wines, and atmosphere! Free gondola ride to the top of 2nd mountain makes it just that much more fun. We loved the fireside interactive cooking experience.Special Features:
- Not worth the price/ frigid ride!Tarheel93Dined on 2/6/2014We chose restaurant because we love Raclette/fondue. It wasn't clear from the Keystone website that it's a 3 course fixed price menu. ton of food and we couldnt finish, should've skipped lunch! Wish smaller portions offered.Meal wasn't worth the price/30+ min ride in freezing temps. We were prepared in ski coats/gloves/hats but still freezing. We've skied in Europe, been to Munich beer halls. they are trying to recreate atmosphere but fall WAY short. Too cheesy for us. Perhaps fun if wed been with large group or heavily drinking, otherwise go somewhere in town, or wait for evening temps to be above 32. Or go to Alpine Stube for lunch instead-great food, better prices/atmosphere. Also liked Dos locos Mexican, local place across from Inn.Special Features:
- The food was terrible. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/1/2014The food was terrible. The fondue tasted like starch. The bread was stale. The salad wasn't fresh and the meats that came with the raclette were bad quality. It was very overpriced and every add-on or substitution cost extra. The staff was very friendly though and my children had a good time cooking their food and listening to the Bavarian band.Special Features:
- wonderful eveningPampersDined on 1/25/2014Pricey but worth the experience. We had so much food that we were totally stuffed to the point of almost being miserable. ..had an after dinner drink to settle our stomachs. Staff was amazing! Friendly service and smiles on everyones face...music was wonderful and energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fondue, Great LodgegthhDined on 1/25/2014Great Fondue, Great Lodge and Great Austrian MusicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.