Depot Hotel Restaurant
241 1st Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Depot Hotel Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.depotsonoma.com/
- Phone: 7079382980
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Open New Years Day. Open Valentines Day. Special Champagne Brunch on Easter and Mother's Day and Dinner both days. Located One block from Sonoma Jazz Festival in May. Fourth of July "Fireworks View Buffet Dinner." Open Thanksgiving Noon through 7 pm. Open New Years Eve 5 pm on.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Antonio Ghilarducci, Michael Ghilarducci
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The DEPOT HOTEL does private parties for groups of all sizes. Charming private rooms are available--as well as the poolside terraces overlooking the reflection pool and Italian garden. Menus, whether passed hors d'oeuvres or seated meals, can be customized for your special event. Our specialty is rustic Northern Italian cuisine, but we frequently do Classic French cuisine, Spanish cuisine, including tapas tables, Wine Country and Californian cuisine, Mediterranean menus, including Moroccan and Greek...tell us your ideas and we can make it happen! Our staff has over 20 years experience coordinating relaxing, flawless events for our guests. As always, pricing is extremely reasonable, with no facility rental fees.
- Private Party Contact: Gia Ghilarducci 7079382980
- Cross Street: Spain Street
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have parking in our own private lot, just past the building through the big wrought iron gates. In addition, there is a large free public lot directly across the street. Street parking with no time limit is also available directly in front along 1st St West.
A word from Depot Hotel Restaurant
The DEPOT HOTEL is a charming neighborhood restaurant located in a stone building just a block off the Plaza in Sonoma. Locals and visitors to the Wine Country enjoy Tuscan-inspired cuisine in the Vinoteca, in the cozy dining rooms, and on the terraces surrounding the Italian garden and reflection pool. Food is a serious passion at the DEPOT HOTEL Restaurant--whether it is making house made salumi and charcuterie, or handmade pasta, or fresh ricotta. In addition to products made in-house, the Sonoma wine country offers an abundance of new artisanal products. The search for the best local products is a treasure hunt the Chef enjoys whether from the coast, local farms, or local cheese makers. Come join us for lunch or dinner...or just drop into the Vinoteca for some small plates of antipasti and a glass of wine with a friend.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Depot Hotel Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Depot Hotel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (78)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (43)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (27)good for groups (26)great for brunch (17)scenic view (17)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Brought a groupBqh1962VIPDined on 9/18/2014Our group of 10 was promptly seated in the patio of this long former hotel. Fantastic patio around the pool setting is great especially in warm weather. Food was bright and fresh. Be prepared, as we were not, they don't have a full bar. Only beer wine and low alcohol drinks. After a day of wine tasting, I really wanted a martini. They can accommodate small tables of two, all the way to what looked like a group of 30. Worth checking out.Special Features:
- memorable experianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014The food was wonderful. The service was better. The ambiance very romantic. We were the last diners to leave the restaurant. We left and were sitting in the car in the parking lot for a while. when we tried to leave we found ourselves locked in the gated parking lot. Thanks for cell phones and a very polite police officer who came to our rescue. He stopped laughing long enough to get someone to come and unlock the gate. That is what happens when you forget you are no longer 17 years old and are making out in a dark parking lot. P.S. she is 68 and I am 78.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Thank you Depot for a beautiful evening of fine dining, wonderful setting, well paste relaxing meal. Excellent menu, with great variety. Loved the Cannoli for desert! Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Tradition in Most Lovely SettingDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 9/13/2014The menu is very traditional Italian dishes, but each is carefully prepared. What's makes it special is the beautiful outdoor setting - on the porch or in the garden around a pool with lots of greenery. Ample umbrellas keep you in the shade during the day, and candles twinkle at night. The food is sourced locally and it shows. The tomatoes in the caprese salad were so tasty, and the salmon and lamb were local as well. They even have their own wine.Special Features:
- Great Dinner in SonomakdaveVIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was delicious! Service was a little slow, they were busy. Great outdoor dining. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Sorely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014The setting is great poolside. The indoors is bit of a banquet setting. The food however was similar to dining in a school cafeteria. Chewy steak, bland pasta, unseasoned vegetables and stale bread is not what we remember the last time we dined there. What happened?Special Features:
- CruiseVIPDined on 9/7/2014This was our first time, and we were a little disappointed in the menu. Read the reviews on Open Table and decided to try them. The food was fair and I don't think we will revisit this restaurant on our next trip to Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localsonomanDined on 9/7/2014We have never been disappointed when dining at the Depot Hotel Restaurant. They can be counted on from having a romantic dinner for two, as well as hosting a wedding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gen in Wine CountrymikeVIPDined on 9/7/2014I block from Sonoma Square--quiet, accessible, great food and service.Special Features:
- Great local dining experienceJeffreyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Enjoyed our dinner at the Depot Hotel on Sunday evening. We were a group of nine people and were seated near the pool. Good food, walkable for the entire downtown Sonoma area, local wines and reasonable prices. Good Food - Good service - Great atmosphere = Enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Evening Summer DinnerLRinMarinVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a very enjoyable early dinner last Saturday. The service was very good and it was lovely to sit outside in the lighted garden. It is an old style Italian restaurant so the menu is not for foodies, but we enjoyed our dishes. The Depot salad had pear slices, walnuts and just enough dressing, which was perfect. The veal scaloppine was delicious. The albacore was very good, though cooked a bit longer than I like. The Depot has such a wonderful atmosphere and I look forward to going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Depot Hotel a perfect interludefoodluvVIPDined on 8/30/2014Depot hotel, just off the main Sonoma Plaza, is a perfect spot for lunch - pool with a fountain in the center makes the atmosphere very pleasant on a warm day. The food is excellent, we had a ceasar with chicken which was delicious and the ahi tuna nicoise was outstanding. Their own Fume Blanc is reasonable and excellent. I opted for the special sale for a case $90! Service is friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LocationJanePDined on 8/27/2014This restaurant is off of the main street but worth the walk. The food, service and patio area were very nice. Both of our meals were excellent & freshly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible!!!DevineDined on 8/22/2014Our server was absolutely marvelous. She knew exactly what she was doing. She was very familiar with the menu. I had the NY steak (rare). The best I've had in a long time. Every one enjoyed the experience very much. Will eat there next time we're in Sonoma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodnationalchampDined on 8/20/2014We enjoyed our excellent food. Atmosphere was nice. Was a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the DepotRogerDined on 8/17/2014Had friends from out of town. Starts our wine trip with a really great lunch. It's within walking to the plaza of Sonoma which is filled with notable places to visit.Special Features:
- depot hotel/sonomaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/14/2014what a great place! excellent food in a wonderfully sonoma-esque environment! we love it!Special Features:
- Just GreatromantenDined on 8/10/2014I got the last rack of lamb. It was absolutely great. The food was hot when it was supposed to be hot, and cold when it was supposed to be cold. We got seated immediately, with a reservation. The only sad part was the dragon fly that died in the outside pond.Special Features:
- sonoma countyTimoDined on 8/10/2014Great food and view by the pool with a nice fountain going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but forgettable; too classicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Outdoor dining is by a pool with a fountain, which is what drew us to eat here. Up close, though, and without the darkness and twinkly lights they advertise in their photos, it was just a pool with a floating Styrofoam water spurt. It didn't feel special and bordered on tacky. Service was competent. Food was also adequate but forgettable. Caesar salad appetizer followed by veal Parmesan for my husband and tortellini in a cream sauce for me. All pretty standard fare; server told us those meals have been on the menu for thirty years-- though she meant it as a positive, it captured the issue here: this place needs updating. In fairness, nothing we had there was bad, but neither was anything great. We were so underwhelmed we skipped dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014We have to tell you the food was outstanding, everyone enjoyed their meal. Beautiful presentation and all very delicious. What we weren't happy about was the service, it was lacking. The young man that served the bread and water was great, did a really good job. Our waiter was rude, not friendly and not involved and did what we felt was very bad job. We asked for grated cheese and pepper flakes and felt like we were putting him out! The owner of a Napa winery was with us, not that it makes a difference who your serving, but we were all disgusted with the service.
- Simply put, love this placeLizToddVIPDined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is located off the main square but once you find it, it's so worth going. The food has always been very good here and the wine list is both reasonable and notable. The outside area by the pool is very pretty and the lights at night transport you to Italy. Gia and her staff are amazing and most of them have been there for 15+ years. Mostly an older crowd here who can appreciate good food and a place to relax and unwind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Depot Hotel RestaurantGmanDined on 8/1/2014It's not a hotel in the Sonoma Square but a B&B size large home, so don't let the name keep you away. It is a brisk walk uphill a few blocks from the town square. But well worth taking the time to have lunch or dinner with them. The Italian truffles on a couple of their signature dishes were outstanding, they know how to use just the perfect amount. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great community hideaway.SilverJDDined on 7/30/2014The Depot is not on the Sonoma square, so it probably doesn't get the attention it deserves. But just a couple of blocks off the square, it is well worth the little drive. I have been to the Depot on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. The quality of food is always top notch. The salami platter was delicious, the pizzas and their crust are great/very filling, and the veal parma w/tortellini was mouth watering. It barely left room for a hazelnut cannoli. We will return!Special Features:
- Great PatioYumYumVIPDined on 7/20/2014A few blocks from downtown but a very nice walk to get there. The salads and wines very good and the pasta was OK. The gnocchi was way overdone (good ingredients) and so soft is was almost mashed up. Next time needs to be cooked less so there is at least a little texture or bite to it.Special Features:
- depotfanDined on 7/19/2014Our favorite restaurant in sonoma! Always perfect service and we know that no matter what we choose from the menu it will be awesome!! Plus its a very comfortable place...pool side is our favorite! Enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GENERIC ITALIAN / AMERICAN FOODFoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had not been here in years. The meals here are not terrible, but are not good either . . . just generic Italian / American food. The swimming pool with the pvc pipe tied into the filter to create a water feature, spraying out of the center of the swimming pool (tables surrounding the pool) was just tacky to say the least !!! Service was poor . . . our waiter (had been there for years) didn't seem to know the menu well and was almost argumentative when it came to ordering a glass of wine, saying we don't have that varietal . . . so we then have to point to the mediocre wine list and say . . . here it is right here . . . we could go on . . . but won't. Needless to say, we will never return.
- GJB777GJB777Dined on 7/17/2014One of our top favorites in Sonoma. Just a few blocks walk from the main square, it is located in a historic building with plenty of charm. We have been here many times and have always had a positive experience. We sat in the outside patio area near the pool. Food was delicious and with great presentation. Friendly and helpful wait staff with great service. Another great experience at the Depot Hotel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bugged meangelinaDined on 7/12/2014Fought bees and flies the whole time. Tacky fountain area. Mostly locals who looked judgingly at outsiders like us.
- sonoma gemfoodluvVIPDined on 7/12/2014We tried the Depot hotel for lunch on a Saturday - great ambiance for outdoor dining, the pool has a restful fountain, the area is shaded so outdoor dining very comfortable. The food was delicious, my husband had the special salad and the best pizza with a delicious crust. I had the avocado and shrimp salad, beautifully presented and very tasty. Bread was fresh and plentiful.Special Features:
- dining4pleasureDined on 7/5/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our dinner which included my 12 year old granddaughter.......Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Nice setting, good food and serviceRoseDined on 6/22/2014The Depot Hotel setting is around a pool, in the shade with Tuscan touches outside; and my visiting relatives loved it. the food was very nice. The service was prompt and we arrived early and they just went with it. Thanks again for a lovely lunch.Special Features:
- GritsGritsDined on 6/20/2014We visit Sonoma every year and The Depot is always on our list of restaurants. It did not disappoint this year. Good food and service. Lovely outdoor dining.Special Features:
- Depotsonomalocal707Dined on 6/15/2014The food is delicious and the servers are always attentive. The patio and pool dining is great on these summer nights. I have NEVER had a bad dining experience at the Depot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful patio areaTrixiDined on 6/15/2014The outdoor area is very serene, with a fountain flowing in the pool. Food was average, my son had a filet mignon with a sauce that had a fishy taste, it had to be sent back. My daughter-in-law had a truffle pasta dish that was excellent. We were almost finished eating by the time my sons second main course arrived. There was a wedding reception going on around the pool area, a bit noisy. Experience overall was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointingmissedVIPDined on 6/15/2014The only plus was the outdoor setting. None of the items they listed on their online menu was offered. Food was just ok, and the service was less than friendly. Wouldn't return.
- Lovely outdoor dinner spotTessiemaeDined on 6/11/2014Excellent service, great food, in a casual but lovely setting. We had salads with the best pizza--so glad we stumbled on this gem. Not busy at all on Wednesday night.Special Features:
- Insider Dining InformationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Food was delightful, wine list was local and extensive, service was exemplary. We felt so comfortable that we stayed for more than 3 hrs and had to be asked to leave (the staff needed to set up for a wedding).Special Features:
- Excellent as always..MavinmanDined on 6/7/2014Couldn't ask for a better restaurant a couple block walk from the main Sonoma square. Food and service are always consistently good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Resturant off the SquareChristineVIPDined on 5/31/2014This is a real gem, a couple blocks off the square and steeped in history. Dine around the pool of the old Hotel...food is great and service very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.