Departure Restaurant and Lounge
525 SW Morrison
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Departure Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.departureportland.com/
- Phone: (503) 802-5371
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4pm - 12am
Friday & Saturday: 4pm - 1am
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Gourdet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have the ability to book semi-private, private events and receptions in four different areas of our restaurant: the State Room, East Deck, Sea of Love, and the West Deck. All areas available for private events require a food and beverage minimum to be met to reserve the space. We pay great attention to detail, meeting the expectations of our clients by supplying them with superior food and professional service.
- Special Events: Please call Carrie Kissell at 503.802.4642 for more information for all special event and private dining packages.
A word from Departure Restaurant and Lounge
Located atop the historic Meier & Frank building, Departure Restaurant and Lounge offers modern Asian cuisine with panoramic city views and global cocktails. Executive Chef Gregory Gourdet creates modern dishes using traditional ingredients and techniques from many Asian countries. The space designed by Jeff Kovel of Skylab Architecture offers diners two rooftop decks with views overlooking downtown Portland, the Willamette River and Mt. St. Helens.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Departure Restaurant and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Departure Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (185)fit for foodies (142)special occasion (131)great for outdoor dining (121)hot spot (118)vibrant bar scene (118)romantic (88)good for groups (82)late-night find (51)neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Get ready, world!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014This is a hip place that caters to professionals, hipsters, and families. It is set up to accommodate all of the above, yet in unique ways. The food is delectable - some of the best I've ever tasted with the exception of the sushi. The chef uses combinations of herbs and spices that have not been used before and invoke new, fabulous sensations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!PermanentDined on 11/16/2014This was the best place we tried while visiting Portland. I highly recommend the fried squid, the spicy tuna, the pork belly, and the curry! FOUR STAR!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice selection of vegan and vegetarian disheskzivitDined on 11/16/2014Nice selection of vegan and vegetarian dishes which was great. The atmosphere is awesome. This is THE most reason to come over. We were probably the only family there (with kids) for dinner but it worked out well. The dishes are small, kind of tapas style. Try no to arrive too hungry. Lovely spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantLanceatHBDined on 11/15/2014This was my second visit (11/15/2014) to Departure after visiting last summer (2013). I have been to Portland twice, and on my first visit Departure blew me away with the decor, ambiance and the wonderful food. So on my second visit to Portland with a new beau in tow, I wanted to impress my boyfriend and have him experience Departure on our last night in town. Departure lived up to all my expectations on this return visit. The wait staff was attentive, food was delicious and the drinks (Lemon Drop Martinis) were excellent. Being a vegetarian, the options were abundant and my choices were extremely tasty. My boyfriend (neither a vegan nor vegetarian) raved about his meal. The only improvement would have been if we were not seated next to a birthday celebration which consisted of a birthday "princess" and her 14 friends. When you have 15 (or so) women together, the shrillness of their voices can be a bit much at times. and of course there is always someone who feels they have to be the 'loud' one. Overall It was an enjoyable evening, and I would heartily recommend this restaurant. And of course on my next visit to Portland, Departure will be on the list of things to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and the best view in PortlandsmartakusVIPDined on 11/14/2014Food is sublime, an adventure. Best to come with a group of at least three or four people so you can order enough small plates to sample many of the items on the menu. Would have given it five stars across the board but the dance music is a little loud (and maybe inappropriate for dinner?) as is the restaurant itself. Still, don't let that stop you from coming here - I've been twice now and on both occasions the food knocked us out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Knew!?!BelieveTheHypeDined on 11/14/2014If you vist Portland Oregon you must journey downtown and experience Departure. Chef Gourdet's asian creations are amazing. And if you are vegan, you will find what you want. You must try their Brussel sprouts or the steak on a rock! The bar is creative, and if you like a little spice in your cocktail they have something for you. Wait staff is friendly and knowledgeble. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, fabulous ambienceFoodiefanVIPDined on 11/14/2014The 15th floor view is gorgeous. Lovely atmosphere is contemporary, spacious yet intimate with big windows but strategically placed dividers. The chef has some amazing creations. Our favorite were the Departure chicken wings, with a sweet chili glaze were the best we have ever had! I am a sucker for wood grilled foods, and this is the strongest (and delicious) taste when you first bite into the wok fired brussel sprouts, followed by a slightly citrus flavor. The Bibimbap was authentic and good. The banana split was amazing, with a perfect balance of the sweetness of the tempera bananas with the saltiness of the peanut brittle ice creme--heavenly. Unique and wonderful cocktail Tasho Macho, just a hint of thai chili in the vodka gave it a kick without being overpowering. Shout out to our waiter Ben, for excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food on top of the world.PdxvidDined on 11/12/2014Let me just say, this place is nothing short of amazing. Anytime friends visit I make sure to bring them here. The Food is always too notch and the variety to be had "tapas style" leaves the tongue wanting more. I recommend this place for all kinds of dining. Groups. Dates. Solo. All good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFoodieDined on 11/11/2014Our server, Kerry, was fantastic. Of course, the food could have been served by anyone, everything we had from eel to octopus was fabulous. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014Loved everything about this place. Five of us had a fantastic time. Food wise something delicious for everyone! Can't wait to come back when visiting Portland!Special Features:
- FlawlessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014We (3 people) dined at 6:30 on a Tuesday. The dining room seemed about at 60% capacity. Kerry, our server was top notch. His guidance through explaining the beautifully crafted dishes was spot on. We had about 5 cocktails, 8 small dishes and 3 desserts- all for less than $50 per person. I'd have to sum up the whole experience (the ambiance, the flexible menu choices, the service, and the price) in two words: Nailed it!Special Features:
- Great food but tight quartersRC27Dined on 11/3/2014Delicious food that's different than anything I've ever had. The first time I went, I had the most amazing waiter. He told us what each dish was and what to try. I also asked for a more private seat and he gave us an entire area to ourselves! The service here is probably the best I've had anywhere. Someone fills up your water every 5 minutes. All the staff is young and nice. The only thing I hated this time was how packed it was and that I was sandwiched between two tables, so close that I could hear their whole conversation. I mean loud loud, as if the person was talking to me. And that is really annoying when the people next you are obnoxious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleLHS1Dined on 11/3/2014From the valet to the restaurant to the service, it was awful. We won't be back.Special Features:
- jsachDined on 11/2/2014Excellent service; friendly staff. Food was out of this world (except dessert, which wasn't anything exceptional).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Awesome viewjssofMDDined on 11/2/2014Had dinner with a colleague at Departure while attending a conference at the Hilton downtown. The food and service were excellent. Great views and a very interesting interior. Well worth the trip!Special Features:
- Unique concept, excellent dishesBerryhillBanditDined on 10/31/2014We got an assortment of satay for the table and also the garlic fried rice which was out of this world. If I could add my 2¢ to the decor, I would ditch the airport idea and open those windows up for more sweeping views of the city. Caroline the hostess rocks that place, gave us VIP treatment. Our server promised us free birthday dessert then charged us, we paid, nuff said :) We'll be baaaaaackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cinaangieDined on 10/31/2014Delicious food (especially their specialty mixed drinks).Special Features:
- Absolutely amazing!PdxflyDined on 10/28/2014Ray the manager went over and beyond to help make a special night happen for my girlfriend and I. The food, service, and the overall experience was just incredie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Portland small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014The food is consistently fresh, innovative and delicious at Departure. The staff are well versed in the ingredients that go into every dish and are never shy about making recommendations when asked. The cocktails are creative and tasty, always. In a city with tremendous competition, Departure never fails to deliver an outstanding meal with impeccable service.Special Features:
- vegan menu reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014My wife and I ate here for the first time Friday night. We ordered exclusively from the vegan menu, with the exception of dessert. The kale salad with mushrooms was fantastic as was the tempura sweet potato roll. The curry was good but needed more greens and fewer onions. I also found it strange that it wasn't served with rice or any starch. Concerning starches though, the udon noodles with vegetables were amazing. Unfortunately the tempeh dish was a bit bland with a strange mushy texture. The fried banana split dessert was over the top and indulgent, exactly as it should be. Also had a cocktail, "the indochine" which was delicious.Special Features:
- Classy and beautiful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Epic view with great food and good service. This is a hidden gem in the portland food scene. Great for special occasions, romantic outings, and fine dinning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern upscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014My bill was about $50 for shasimi, steak skewers, half a scallops entree split with friend, and hot tea. Hot tea was $5.... Great for non traditional setting with very modern decor and excellent city views (15th floor). We felt very rushed to leave, even our cloth napkins were removed after all of the other dishes had been removed. I was still making the most of my $5 tea so we weren't ready to go. The food was tasty, scallops I would pass on in the future. Steak and garlic skewers were very tender and delicious. Sashimi was a nice mix of flavors.Special Features:
- Fabulous Time!NewAdventuresDined on 10/22/2014We went to departure for my birthday dinner. We had several in our party that were vegan/vegetarian, and several meat eaters. All parties were very well taken care of with fabulous food. The ambiance is lovely, and our server was so friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great Dim Sum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great place for small plates and wine! If you are looking for a location with good Asian dim sum and a nice wine list - this is a great place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan? No Problem!MDS0PDXDined on 10/21/2014This was my 3rd time at Departure and the food & drinks continue to be amazing. My mom was in town so I took her here to see the great view of the city. We ordered some cocktails and small plates from the vegan menu. The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Portland's View HighlightedmarigoldDined on 10/17/2014We were able to get a reservation on short notice. The service was friendly and professional. The food was surprising and delicious. Fun evening. We'll go back when we want to have a spectacular cocktail in a sleek setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Anniversary Hot DateMemelisciousDined on 10/16/2014Ummm... Can you tell?? We LOVED it! We had heard so much about it before and finally planned our anniversary dinner there! It was wonderful... From the warm sake to the food, to the atmosphere... We were able to chat and connect to laugh and to share with each other. We were surprised at how soft the music was and that we could actually hear each other! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014We were celebrating my Mother's birthday and everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Like having dinner in a nightclublwhittigVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were staying in the hotel where Departure is located plus had read that it was a hot spot so it was a no brainer to check it out. We decided to sample multiple things from the dim sum menu – choosing 4 items between the two of us. We'd skip the spring rolls next time – they were greasy and not memorable. We also had meatballs, a short rib dish and the star of the show was the pork belly. The food came super quickly... almost two quickly as they drop off one dish at a time and we'd hardly taken a bite when another plate would show up. We felt rushed. Prices are reasonable. The view nice. The decor is uber contemporary and was a little like eating in a nightclub. The banana split is a don't miss dish... it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Second visitPointe2Dined on 10/11/2014We drove up from Eugene to meet cousin and husband from Seattle. We chose Departures for second time as we enjoyed it so much last year. It was an excellent choice -- the food was excellent, the waitress delightful and folks at tables on either side were fun to met and chat together. The young man to our left was on a night off and celebrating his first anniversary with his wife and made excellent recommendations for Dim Sum and sushi choices. We had a wonderful evening despite our lack of resistance to too many small plates--- all excellent.Special Features:
- Chef Gregory Rocks for Vegans!JasperMarksDined on 10/11/2014I've eaten at Departure so many times and written so many reviews that I've lost count. Departure consistently delivers some of the best vegan food in Portland. Whenever I dine out at Departure with non-vegans they always end up gobbling up my vegan dishes; so, be warned and order two of all of your favorites.Special Features:
- YUMEWdubDined on 10/10/2014So glad we made reservations. Table was great and food was really good also. View from the terrace bar was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great foodReservationsDined on 10/10/2014I love the food. Happy Hour is really good. The patio's great if you can snag a table. My issue is reserving tables. There's one view table by the window and seats 8 but they won't let you reserve it. I tried to reserve it for a special occasion a week in advance for 5:00. I checked in the night before our reservation to remind them I'd like that table. They said they don't reserve tables and they couldn't guarantee it but it looked good as there were no other reservations. When we arrived they said they had a 6:00 reservation for that table. What? He's that possible when they don't reserve tables? I've had a reservation for a week and someone who didn't have a reservation yesterday can reserve the table. What gives?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot to chill outDianaDined on 10/8/2014The decor of the restaurant is very hip with a European cool airline lounge decor. We sat by the window which had nice views of the river. The food was very tasty and the service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Dining in the darkOlyjonesDined on 10/7/2014Outside deck: gorgeous. Reading menu after dark: impossible & waiter not helpful with light or suggestions. Food was so so, not up to the hype. Bartender was personable, bit slow with initial service and asking re another after glass was dry. Super comfy bar chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieatheartDined on 10/7/2014Our group of 9 tried many of the items on the menu. Loved everything except the meatballs. Most notable was the steak cooked on the rock (can't remember the name), the chrispy pork belly, crab fried rice, and chicken wings. The desserts were beyond fabulous! Would like to see more cooked veggie items other than brussel spouts, which I loved, and I usually hate brussel sprouts.Special Features:
- Rooftop diningJennVIPDined on 10/6/2014We were fortunate enough to grab a table on the edge of the patio (first come first served outside) on a gorgeous evening. The meal was amazing from start to finish coupled with an unobstructed view of downtown. It felt like a Friday night although only Monday - packed to capacity. We enjoyed a variety of small plates - everything was delicious. The Brussel sprouts are a must! It was one of our favorite meals in Portland. It'd definitely not a typical hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceraa1499Dined on 10/5/2014Excellent food. Excellent cocktails. Beautiful presentation. Very kind staff. Awesome experience. Celebrated my birthday there and going back for another celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazingminka73Dined on 10/5/2014I love this place... the food, service, view, ambiance are always spot on. I go here regularly and enjoy it every time.Special Features:
- My birthday CelebrationAG14Dined on 10/4/2014I celebrated my 25th birthday there and it was amazing. The staff were accommodating and welcoming. I had a great time.Special Features: