Departure Restaurant and Lounge
525 SW Morrison
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Departure Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.departureportland.com/
- Phone: 5038025371x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4pm - 12am
Friday & Saturday: 4pm - 1am
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Gourdet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have the ability to book semi-private, private events and receptions in four different areas of our restaurant: the State Room, East Deck, Sea of Love, and the West Deck. All areas available for private events require a food and beverage minimum to be met to reserve the space. We pay great attention to detail, meeting the expectations of our clients by supplying them with superior food and professional service.
- Special Events: Please call Carrie Kissell at 503.802.4642 for more information for all special event and private dining packages.
A word from Departure Restaurant and Lounge
Located atop the historic Meier & Frank building, Departure Restaurant and Lounge offers modern Asian cuisine with panoramic city views and global cocktails. Executive Chef Gregory Gourdet creates modern dishes using traditional ingredients and techniques from many Asian countries. The space designed by Jeff Kovel of Skylab Architecture offers diners two rooftop patios with views overlooking downtown Portland, the Willamette River and Mt. St. Helens.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Departure Restaurant and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Departure Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
231 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (198)great for outdoor dining (142)fit for foodies (138)special occasion (137)hot spot (120)vibrant bar scene (119)romantic (100)good for groups (82)late-night find (55)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (19)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Fabulous Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We went to departure for my birthday dinner. We had several in our party that were vegan/vegetarian, and several meat eaters. All parties were very well taken care of with fabulous food. The ambiance is lovely, and our server was so friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great Dim Sum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Great place for small plates and wine! If you are looking for a location with good Asian dim sum and a nice wine list - this is a great place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland's View HighlightedmarigoldDined on 10/17/2014We were able to get a reservation on short notice. The service was friendly and professional. The food was surprising and delicious. Fun evening. We'll go back when we want to have a spectacular cocktail in a sleek setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Anniversary Hot DateMemelisciousDined on 10/16/2014Ummm... Can you tell?? We LOVED it! We had heard so much about it before and finally planned our anniversary dinner there! It was wonderful... From the warm sake to the food, to the atmosphere... We were able to chat and connect to laugh and to share with each other. We were surprised at how soft the music was and that we could actually hear each other! Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014We were celebrating my Mother's birthday and everything was perfect!Special Features:
- Like having dinner in a nightclublwhittigVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were staying in the hotel where Departure is located plus had read that it was a hot spot so it was a no brainer to check it out. We decided to sample multiple things from the dim sum menu – choosing 4 items between the two of us. We'd skip the spring rolls next time – they were greasy and not memorable. We also had meatballs, a short rib dish and the star of the show was the pork belly. The food came super quickly... almost two quickly as they drop off one dish at a time and we'd hardly taken a bite when another plate would show up. We felt rushed. Prices are reasonable. The view nice. The decor is uber contemporary and was a little like eating in a nightclub. The banana split is a don't miss dish... it was outstanding.Special Features:
- Second visitPointe2Dined on 10/11/2014We drove up from Eugene to meet cousin and husband from Seattle. We chose Departures for second time as we enjoyed it so much last year. It was an excellent choice -- the food was excellent, the waitress delightful and folks at tables on either side were fun to met and chat together. The young man to our left was on a night off and celebrating his first anniversary with his wife and made excellent recommendations for Dim Sum and sushi choices. We had a wonderful evening despite our lack of resistance to too many small plates--- all excellent.Special Features:
- Chef Gregory Rocks for Vegans!JasperMarksDined on 10/11/2014I've eaten at Departure so many times and written so many reviews that I've lost count. Departure consistently delivers some of the best vegan food in Portland. Whenever I dine out at Departure with non-vegans they always end up gobbling up my vegan dishes; so, be warned and order two of all of your favorites.Special Features:
- YUMEWdubDined on 10/10/2014So glad we made reservations. Table was great and food was really good also. View from the terrace bar was fantastic!Special Features:
- Great foodReservationsDined on 10/10/2014I love the food. Happy Hour is really good. The patio's great if you can snag a table. My issue is reserving tables. There's one view table by the window and seats 8 but they won't let you reserve it. I tried to reserve it for a special occasion a week in advance for 5:00. I checked in the night before our reservation to remind them I'd like that table. They said they don't reserve tables and they couldn't guarantee it but it looked good as there were no other reservations. When we arrived they said they had a 6:00 reservation for that table. What? He's that possible when they don't reserve tables? I've had a reservation for a week and someone who didn't have a reservation yesterday can reserve the table. What gives?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot to chill outDianaDined on 10/8/2014The decor of the restaurant is very hip with a European cool airline lounge decor. We sat by the window which had nice views of the river. The food was very tasty and the service was pretty good.Special Features:
- Dining in the darkOlyjonesDined on 10/7/2014Outside deck: gorgeous. Reading menu after dark: impossible & waiter not helpful with light or suggestions. Food was so so, not up to the hype. Bartender was personable, bit slow with initial service and asking re another after glass was dry. Super comfy bar chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieatheartDined on 10/7/2014Our group of 9 tried many of the items on the menu. Loved everything except the meatballs. Most notable was the steak cooked on the rock (can't remember the name), the chrispy pork belly, crab fried rice, and chicken wings. The desserts were beyond fabulous! Would like to see more cooked veggie items other than brussel spouts, which I loved, and I usually hate brussel sprouts.Special Features:
- Rooftop diningJennVIPDined on 10/6/2014We were fortunate enough to grab a table on the edge of the patio (first come first served outside) on a gorgeous evening. The meal was amazing from start to finish coupled with an unobstructed view of downtown. It felt like a Friday night although only Monday - packed to capacity. We enjoyed a variety of small plates - everything was delicious. The Brussel sprouts are a must! It was one of our favorite meals in Portland. It'd definitely not a typical hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceraa1499Dined on 10/5/2014Excellent food. Excellent cocktails. Beautiful presentation. Very kind staff. Awesome experience. Celebrated my birthday there and going back for another celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Amazingminka73Dined on 10/5/2014I love this place... the food, service, view, ambiance are always spot on. I go here regularly and enjoy it every time.Special Features:
- My birthday CelebrationAG14Dined on 10/4/2014I celebrated my 25th birthday there and it was amazing. The staff were accommodating and welcoming. I had a great time.Special Features:
- Noisy DeliciousnessWyrdmeisterDined on 10/4/2014Excellent small plate options. Delicious drinks. Excellent service. I was hoping for a quiet romantic view of the city. The overwhelming beat of electronica all but killed the mood.Special Features:
- About menuFJSMDined on 10/3/2014We attended that restaurant twice before (last one, one year ago) and we were always happy with everything, included the food. At this time, I consider menu has changed and you can't find the kind of dishes that love us the two times before.Special Features:
- PortlanderDined on 10/3/2014Departure is a nice place for happy hour, I like the food but the portion is really small compare to what you get in other places for the same price. I like the view in the summer, inside seating is very loud, if you are more than 4 people, it will be hard to hear each other.Special Features:
- Kindergarten class on a spaceshipOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014Requested a table at the window weeks ago. Initially seated at the entrance to the kitchen. When were eventually moved. The waitress arrived with individual dishes, placed them on the table in front of no one in particular, mumbled the name, left. No one knew whose food was what. The staff consisted of disinterested 12-year olds. No adults. More interested in lipstick than service. The waitress forgot one two guests orders. As the bar became more active, the music was abruptly turned up, not-so subtle signal that it was time to leave. Tries to be avant-garde but looks like Spaceballs. Supermarket grade sushi. So unpolished and unprofessional it seemed intentional. No greeting by the child acting as maitre'd, no thank you on departure.
- If not for the view...chinaeyes13Dined on 9/28/2014This place has an awesome patio on the 15th floor of the Nine's hotel, lovely view. The food is served 'family style' and the cuisine is asian fusion. I would recommend going there for a couple of cocktails and a snack, but nothing more. There are better food options to spend your money on in Portland.Special Features:
- One of a fewYelpheauDined on 9/26/2014The people are gorgeous. The food is delicious. The drinks are unique. And the ambiance is one of a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Seen on TVRCNeedhamVIPDined on 9/26/2014We saw a segment about the chef at Departure on TV during Feast Portland and had to try it. Food was really good and unique and service was great too. I would deginitely recommend this restaurant as an important PDX spot.Special Features:
- On of our favorite places to dine!RobertDined on 9/25/2014Terrific food, wonderful atmosphere, and a memorable dining experience for our out-town guests!Special Features:
- Had great time !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I went with my friends and had great time - both in the bar side and dining side. Service was good - food was good. Everyone had a wonderful time and definitely recommened to anyone. Took 1.5 hrs to get outdoor seating for 6 people.Special Features:
- AnnieM71Dined on 9/20/2014This was our first time to Departure, on the recommendation of friends. We are the parents of a small child and therefore do not dine out all that often. Our experience was exactly what we hoped for: excellent service, great food and an atmosphere that was a little swanky but not stuffy. The brussel sprouts were phenomenal! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Sexy fine dining but LOUDHoneymoonfortwoDined on 9/18/2014The food was amazing and we loved the lighting, design and style of the restaurant. Our cocktails were amazing- try the Jade Dagger. So loud on a Friday night, it was difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for our date night!FunkiFresh1Dined on 9/13/2014We had an amazing time all around here for our first night out together on a weekend in a long time. Food was amazing! Service was fantastic! Drinks were inventive and well worth trying different ones. Definitely would come back for special occasions or perhaps check out their happy hour sometime. Really enjoyed our time here and the great staff that kept the food coming at perfect timing. Oh and the banana split was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kayusDined on 9/13/2014excellent food, great location, great atmosphere and upscaleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!happyhourscoutDined on 9/12/2014Wow! Seriously, just WOW! Try the unagi and tenderloin rolls. Nom!Special Features:
- Really DisappointingEJBrowningDined on 9/11/2014When I made the reservation online I requested outdoor seating, but that’s not what we got. Myself and several others were very disappointed because when I presented the Departure as an idea for this gathering the view was the main selling point. In addition, the service was okay, but certainly didn't warrant the 20% gratuity that was automatically included on the bill. I understand the reason for this with groups over 6, but given the slow service, if any of us had been given the option to choose the tip amount it would have been closer to 10-15%. The food was fantastic, but overall this restaurant proved to be a very poor choice for a group event.Special Features:
- Unbeatable View, Meh FoodHungryNovelistDined on 9/7/2014As a tourist I was happy my host took me here for the micro-view (of the coolly-appointed restaurant itself) and the macro-view of the city skyline. The water service was over the top. After that, meh. My friend's pear martini was very cloudy and overly pearish, and I couldn't even eat my chicken teriaki skewer, it was so excessively salty. I tried the garlic rice. Though pretty and cloud-fluffy, the flavor was bland. Do go once, but know you are paying for the view.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACEleehendersonDined on 9/6/2014Love love love hanging out at Departure. One of my favourite places to go in the city. Really dig that the atmosphere is a a bit of a step-up from your usual PDX experience- a little posh danger, if you will. Food/drinks are great. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wish I could be back more often.iatehereDined on 9/5/2014Great restaurant, great food, great service. Went for my anniversary with my partner. We made reservations in advance and were seated outside as soon as we arrived despite being almost 30 minutes early. We were almost immediately greeted by our waitress after sitting down and given plenty of attention during our visit. Food and drinks came within 10 minutes of ordering and were beyond delicious. My only complaint is the music restaurant was a bit loud and while it didn't make conversation difficult I would have enjoyed a more intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent setting food & service level were very good.Special Features:
- Great Meal and ViewpdxfoodDined on 8/31/2014We had wonderful food and excellent service would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- ImpressiveSalsaDancerDined on 8/30/2014Took my girlfriend here for an anniversary. The place is quite loud, but it is a bar after all. Outside is first come but since we had a reservation we had an inside table to sit at, and order while we waited for an outside table to become avaiable which they came over and let us know when it became open. For beginning of september it was not to bad of weather. It was warm for the most part. They have little torches to keep you warm. Food was great. Girlfriend said best banana split she ever had. Deep fried with different carmel salted ice cream. Would definilty recommend this place. Great view, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014As if the deck overlooking all of Portland wasn't enough, we had the most amazing meal. Party of 8 for a special Birthday and everyone is still raving about the food. It was unbelievably fresh, unique and delicious. This is one amazing Chef! Kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service & drunk womenCB1969Dined on 8/30/2014We always have a great experience EXCEPT tonight. It was my husband's b-day and we had family visiting from CA. We waited 15 minutes for our server to greet us and take our drink order. Waited another 15 minutes for her to come back to tell us they were out of the bottle of wine we ordered. 45 minutes waiting for our wine! Also, we ordered appetizers before dinner. One of the apps was the dungeness crab roll, it took almost 2 HOURS to get it, by the time it was done, we finished eating dinner. Plus, they put a bachelorette party next to us. 10 drunk women screaming and cursing....restaurant staff should have asked the women to keep their voices down and watch their language, instead, they served them more alcohol. We left disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.