Departure Restaurant and Lounge
525 SW Morrison
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Departure Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.departureportland.com/
- Phone: 5038025371x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4pm - 12am
Friday & Saturday: 4pm - 1am
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Gourdet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have the ability to book semi-private, private events and receptions in four different areas of our restaurant: the State Room, East Deck, Sea of Love, and the West Deck. All areas available for private events require a food and beverage minimum to be met to reserve the space. We pay great attention to detail, meeting the expectations of our clients by supplying them with superior food and professional service.
- Special Events: Please call Carrie Kissell at 503.802.4642 for more information for all special event and private dining packages.
A word from Departure Restaurant and Lounge
Located atop the historic Meier & Frank building, Departure Restaurant and Lounge offers modern Asian cuisine with panoramic city views and global cocktails. Executive Chef Gregory Gourdet creates modern dishes using traditional ingredients and techniques from many Asian countries. The space designed by Jeff Kovel of Skylab Architecture offers diners two rooftop patios with views overlooking downtown Portland, the Willamette River and Mt. St. Helens.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Departure Restaurant and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Departure Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (188)great for outdoor dining (137)special occasion (132)fit for foodies (129)vibrant bar scene (114)hot spot (108)romantic (99)good for groups (79)late-night find (55)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Kindergarten class on a spaceshipOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014Requested a table at the window weeks ago. Initially seated at the entrance to the kitchen. When were eventually moved. The waitress arrived with individual dishes, placed them on the table in front of no one in particular, mumbled the name, left. No one knew whose food was what. The staff consisted of disinterested 12-year olds. No adults. More interested in lipstick than service. The waitress forgot one two guests orders. As the bar became more active, the music was abruptly turned up, not-so subtle signal that it was time to leave. Tries to be avant-garde but looks like Spaceballs. Supermarket grade sushi. So unpolished and unprofessional it seemed intentional. No greeting by the child acting as maitre'd, no thank you on departure.
- One of a fewYelpheauDined on 9/26/2014The people are gorgeous. The food is delicious. The drinks are unique. And the ambiance is one of a few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On of our favorite places to dine!RobertDined on 9/25/2014Terrific food, wonderful atmosphere, and a memorable dining experience for our out-town guests!Special Features:
- Had great time !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014I went with my friends and had great time - both in the bar side and dining side. Service was good - food was good. Everyone had a wonderful time and definitely recommened to anyone. Took 1.5 hrs to get outdoor seating for 6 people.Special Features:
- AnnieM71Dined on 9/20/2014This was our first time to Departure, on the recommendation of friends. We are the parents of a small child and therefore do not dine out all that often. Our experience was exactly what we hoped for: excellent service, great food and an atmosphere that was a little swanky but not stuffy. The brussel sprouts were phenomenal! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Sexy fine dining but LOUDHoneymoonfortwoDined on 9/18/2014The food was amazing and we loved the lighting, design and style of the restaurant. Our cocktails were amazing- try the Jade Dagger. So loud on a Friday night, it was difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for our date night!FunkiFresh1Dined on 9/13/2014We had an amazing time all around here for our first night out together on a weekend in a long time. Food was amazing! Service was fantastic! Drinks were inventive and well worth trying different ones. Definitely would come back for special occasions or perhaps check out their happy hour sometime. Really enjoyed our time here and the great staff that kept the food coming at perfect timing. Oh and the banana split was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kayusDined on 9/13/2014excellent food, great location, great atmosphere and upscaleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!happyhourscoutDined on 9/12/2014Wow! Seriously, just WOW! Try the unagi and tenderloin rolls. Nom!Special Features:
- Really DisappointingEJBrowningDined on 9/11/2014When I made the reservation online I requested outdoor seating, but that’s not what we got. Myself and several others were very disappointed because when I presented the Departure as an idea for this gathering the view was the main selling point. In addition, the service was okay, but certainly didn't warrant the 20% gratuity that was automatically included on the bill. I understand the reason for this with groups over 6, but given the slow service, if any of us had been given the option to choose the tip amount it would have been closer to 10-15%. The food was fantastic, but overall this restaurant proved to be a very poor choice for a group event.Special Features:
- Unbeatable View, Meh FoodHungryNovelistDined on 9/7/2014As a tourist I was happy my host took me here for the micro-view (of the coolly-appointed restaurant itself) and the macro-view of the city skyline. The water service was over the top. After that, meh. My friend's pear martini was very cloudy and overly pearish, and I couldn't even eat my chicken teriaki skewer, it was so excessively salty. I tried the garlic rice. Though pretty and cloud-fluffy, the flavor was bland. Do go once, but know you are paying for the view.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACEleehendersonDined on 9/6/2014Love love love hanging out at Departure. One of my favourite places to go in the city. Really dig that the atmosphere is a a bit of a step-up from your usual PDX experience- a little posh danger, if you will. Food/drinks are great. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Wish I could be back more often.iatehereDined on 9/5/2014Great restaurant, great food, great service. Went for my anniversary with my partner. We made reservations in advance and were seated outside as soon as we arrived despite being almost 30 minutes early. We were almost immediately greeted by our waitress after sitting down and given plenty of attention during our visit. Food and drinks came within 10 minutes of ordering and were beyond delicious. My only complaint is the music restaurant was a bit loud and while it didn't make conversation difficult I would have enjoyed a more intimate setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Excellent setting food & service level were very good.Special Features:
- Great Meal and ViewpdxfoodDined on 8/31/2014We had wonderful food and excellent service would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- ImpressiveSalsaDancerDined on 8/30/2014Took my girlfriend here for an anniversary. The place is quite loud, but it is a bar after all. Outside is first come but since we had a reservation we had an inside table to sit at, and order while we waited for an outside table to become avaiable which they came over and let us know when it became open. For beginning of september it was not to bad of weather. It was warm for the most part. They have little torches to keep you warm. Food was great. Girlfriend said best banana split she ever had. Deep fried with different carmel salted ice cream. Would definilty recommend this place. Great view, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014As if the deck overlooking all of Portland wasn't enough, we had the most amazing meal. Party of 8 for a special Birthday and everyone is still raving about the food. It was unbelievably fresh, unique and delicious. This is one amazing Chef! Kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service & drunk womenCB1969Dined on 8/30/2014We always have a great experience EXCEPT tonight. It was my husband's b-day and we had family visiting from CA. We waited 15 minutes for our server to greet us and take our drink order. Waited another 15 minutes for her to come back to tell us they were out of the bottle of wine we ordered. 45 minutes waiting for our wine! Also, we ordered appetizers before dinner. One of the apps was the dungeness crab roll, it took almost 2 HOURS to get it, by the time it was done, we finished eating dinner. Plus, they put a bachelorette party next to us. 10 drunk women screaming and cursing....restaurant staff should have asked the women to keep their voices down and watch their language, instead, they served them more alcohol. We left disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible service!!!ap39Dined on 8/30/2014We have been there so many times..the service gets worse every time. This time we were seated and 10 minutes later still no server or even a hello. We actually had to ask for service. Next our drinks took forever. ..we got our food before our drinks. We needed new clean plates and a fork after a couple rounds of food. After the service brought out or last item, we asked for plates again.....took 10 more min....and noone really cared or apologized. Disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The option of separate checks with large groups!! Large groups should have the option of separate checks. With a group of 8, it caused a fiasco when the bill came. Really put your waiters in a awkward position. Would not want to return again with a large group.Special Features:
- Superb vegan offerings!dslrbbtDined on 8/29/2014On our recent trip to Portland we visited Departure for the first time (and the second time, a day later!). We got a seat outside both visits and WOW is the view ever fantastic! I recommend going at dusk and then you can see the city lights come on. We thoroughly enjoyed the vegan menu!! We tried the yam tempura sushi and it was my husband's favorite sushi ever! We also tried the Tempeh BBQ buns--they were very tasty. We had the Bibimbap TWICE because I loved it so much. The rice gets nice and crispy if you leave it in the stone bowl after it's brought out and is mixed with the sauce. The Udon Noodles were al dente--perfect! The Brussel Spouts were DIVINE. And the Chili Tofu was amazing--so saucy, spicy, and scrumptious!Special Features:
- Always Amazingminka73Dined on 8/29/2014The food, service, and ambiance are always spot-on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowFoodzillaDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding views complemented by delicious, well presented food. I will certainly be going back in the future.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant Find!NikongalDined on 8/29/2014If you find yourself in Portland - or are lucky enough to live there - Departure is a great dining choice! Service was spot on - waiter was helpful, informative, made great recommendations. The environment is vibrant and the rooftop view is incredible. Our guests were blown away by the entire experience.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, sketchy visualsStephiliusDined on 8/27/2014Great food, great drinks, excellent service. The decor is kind of goofy - trying too hard to be cooool - but it was comfortable. You get used to the piped-in music after a while. The only real off-putting thing was the other clientele; hard to explain their rather aggressive, self-important vibe - let's just say I wouldn't have been surprised to see a Kardashian walk in. ; ) A business can't really control who frequents it, so I certainly can't blame the restaurant. Just rather odd. Not enough to keep us away, though; we'll be back!Special Features:
- BpiperVIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was great, as was the ambiance-very sleek, contemporary sexy environment. Great views. 2thumbs up!Special Features:
- Our entire meal was exceptional!LorabellVIPDined on 8/25/2014Service was outstanding! Our friend's first time to Departure. They all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View & food equally greatsmartakusVIPDined on 8/24/2014We made reservations for 4 here, were drawn by the reviews of the food (which was across the board great) but were wowed by the view of Portland. Try to get a table outside; we didn't because outside tables are first come, first served, but in retrospect it would have been worth the 30 minute wait (at the bar). Food is all appetizer size portions, so for a party of four we each ordered 3 items and shared everything. Such a fun way to eat with a group. Will return here next time we're in Portland.Special Features:
- Great Spot!N2sheppDined on 8/24/2014I visit Departure on every visit to Portland and always enjoy it. This is the first time I went there with a group. My fear was that they could not satisfy everyone. I was so wrong. Everyone in my party of 7 enjoyed the great food, beautiful view, and exceptional service. I highly recommend Departure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!RankyDined on 8/23/2014Every food item had a unique taste and it felt like I had never eaten anything like that before. Chicken Curry noodles (I guess) was really good and the best thing was the desert - banana split. The only think that was not good was inside seating. We sat outside to avoid noise and rush around the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food but a bit loudPDX42Dined on 8/23/2014We made reservations to celebrate two of our Birthdays and the food and service were excellent. We found it to be a bit loud and the volume increases as the evening bears on. Just a little much if you're wishing to carry on dinner conversation. I made the reservation far in advance, in order to secure a table with a nice view. I also confirmed this the day of, but our view ended up to be of a rooftop. We simply let it go. Overall, I wouldn't say the atmosphere is in our taste but the service level and food quality was amazing. We may return for Happy Hour sometime and give it another try. :-)Special Features:
- One of our favesSuzbergDined on 8/23/2014We have never been disappointed at Departure. The food is great, has a NW twist on Asian fare, and the sake choices are plentiful. It is always hopping, but the wait staff keeps up, and is very attentive. The stir fried brussel sprouts were new to the menu since our last visit, and are fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Great FoodTaterTotHunterDined on 8/20/2014Sunny evening, 75 degrees, on the deck overlooking the city, friends from out of town. Tough to top the venue, and then the food comes! Too many amazing combinations and tastes to detail. If you've not been here, make it a priority.Special Features:
- was worriedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Read some reviews that this place was pretentious and the staff was rude. I thought about cancelling the reservation but I am so glad I didnt the food was amazing and the staff was very friendly and attentive. I will be going back, two thumbs up !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedTtowndinerDined on 8/16/2014Honestly, the view of Portland is not that enticing. The food is overpriced and overrated. Great service but we wouldn't go back.
- Great Anniversary ExperiencedustinwaineDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrated our third anniversary this year and it was our first since moving to Portland. We heard great things about Departure and heard it had great views. I requested on my reservation a table with a view of the city which was accommodated by the staff. Additionally the hosts and our server went above and beyond our expectations by wishing us a happy anniversary and making us feel very welcome. The food was delicious and unique and the vibe was trendy and modern. The whole experience was different from a typical restaurant and was very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Absolutely delicious food. I love that they have a separate vegan menu and put just as much effort into those offerings. Our server, Ben, was very attentive and provided great recommendations on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Food was great and was impressed by extensive vegan menu. However it gets very loud and crowded. Not very romantic. I was also impressed that they called me to confirm me reservation and asked for any request. I mentioned my friend is vegan and that I would like a view. I was then dissapointed that they did nothing with this info and we still had to request a vegan menu. Got stuck in middle of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disorganization with a vieweatsinpdxDined on 8/15/2014After Departure confirmed our reservation twice and acknowledged it was our anniversary, I was extremely disappointed that they sat us right next to a very large (and drunk) group away from any windows with a view. There were several tables open by the windows which they were situating for another new large group and considering there were three tables of couples trying to have nice dates squashed together you would really think they could manage their seating better for the experience of their diners. I am aware that this is a very popular location but better management could solve the majority of the problems. Considering that, some of my prior experiences here had been much better so it goes to show improvements can be done.Special Features:
- Great group fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Had a great dinner for a group of 11. Ben took great care of us, suggesting a great menu !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.