Departure Restaurant and Lounge
525 SW Morrison
Portland, OR 97204Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Departure Restaurant and Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.departureportland.com/
- Phone: 5038025371x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 4pm - 12am
Friday & Saturday: 4pm - 1am
Happy Hour Daily: 4pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Asian
- Executive Chef: Gregory Gourdet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have the ability to book semi-private, private events and receptions in four different areas of our restaurant: the State Room, East Deck, Sea of Love, and the West Deck. All areas available for private events require a food and beverage minimum to be met to reserve the space. We pay great attention to detail, meeting the expectations of our clients by supplying them with superior food and professional service.
- Special Events: Please call Carrie Kissell at 503.802.4642 for more information for all special event and private dining packages.
A word from Departure Restaurant and Lounge
Located atop the historic Meier & Frank building, Departure Restaurant and Lounge offers modern Asian cuisine with panoramic city views and global cocktails. Executive Chef Gregory Gourdet creates modern dishes using traditional ingredients and techniques from many Asian countries. The space designed by Jeff Kovel of Skylab Architecture offers diners two rooftop patios with views overlooking downtown Portland, the Willamette River and Mt. St. Helens.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Departure Restaurant and Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Departure Restaurant and Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (177)great for outdoor dining (125)special occasion (123)fit for foodies (120)hot spot (106)vibrant bar scene (106)romantic (100)good for groups (75)late-night find (58)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Great Meal and ViewpdxfoodDined on 8/31/2014We had wonderful food and excellent service would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Took my girlfriend here for an anniversary. The place is quite loud, but it is a bar after all. Outside is first come but since we had a reservation we had an inside table to sit at, and order while we waited for an outside table to become avaiable which they came over and let us know when it became open. For beginning of september it was not to bad of weather. It was warm for the most part. They have little torches to keep you warm. Food was great. Girlfriend said best banana split she ever had. Deep fried with different carmel salted ice cream. Would definilty recommend this place. Great view, and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014As if the deck overlooking all of Portland wasn't enough, we had the most amazing meal. Party of 8 for a special Birthday and everyone is still raving about the food. It was unbelievably fresh, unique and delicious. This is one amazing Chef! Kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service & drunk womenCB1969Dined on 8/30/2014We always have a great experience EXCEPT tonight. It was my husband's b-day and we had family visiting from CA. We waited 15 minutes for our server to greet us and take our drink order. Waited another 15 minutes for her to come back to tell us they were out of the bottle of wine we ordered. 45 minutes waiting for our wine! Also, we ordered appetizers before dinner. One of the apps was the dungeness crab roll, it took almost 2 HOURS to get it, by the time it was done, we finished eating dinner. Plus, they put a bachelorette party next to us. 10 drunk women screaming and cursing....restaurant staff should have asked the women to keep their voices down and watch their language, instead, they served them more alcohol. We left disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible service!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014We have been there so many times..the service gets worse every time. This time we were seated and 10 minutes later still no server or even a hello. We actually had to ask for service. Next our drinks took forever. ..we got our food before our drinks. We needed new clean plates and a fork after a couple rounds of food. After the service brought out or last item, we asked for plates again.....took 10 more min....and noone really cared or apologized. Disappointing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The option of separate checks with large groups!! Large groups should have the option of separate checks. With a group of 8, it caused a fiasco when the bill came. Really put your waiters in a awkward position. Would not want to return again with a large group.Special Features:
- Superb vegan offerings!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014On our recent trip to Portland we visited Departure for the first time (and the second time, a day later!). We got a seat outside both visits and WOW is the view ever fantastic! I recommend going at dusk and then you can see the city lights come on. We thoroughly enjoyed the vegan menu!! We tried the yam tempura sushi and it was my husband's favorite sushi ever! We also tried the Tempeh BBQ buns--they were very tasty. We had the Bibimbap TWICE because I loved it so much. The rice gets nice and crispy if you leave it in the stone bowl after it's brought out and is mixed with the sauce. The Udon Noodles were al dente--perfect! The Brussel Spouts were DIVINE. And the Chili Tofu was amazing--so saucy, spicy, and scrumptious!Special Features:
- Always Amazingminka73Dined on 8/29/2014The food, service, and ambiance are always spot-on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowFoodzillaDined on 8/29/2014Outstanding views complemented by delicious, well presented food. I will certainly be going back in the future.Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurant Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014If you find yourself in Portland - or are lucky enough to live there - Departure is a great dining choice! Service was spot on - waiter was helpful, informative, made great recommendations. The environment is vibrant and the rooftop view is incredible. Our guests were blown away by the entire experience.Special Features:
- Great restaurant, sketchy visualsStephiliusDined on 8/27/2014Great food, great drinks, excellent service. The decor is kind of goofy - trying too hard to be cooool - but it was comfortable. You get used to the piped-in music after a while. The only real off-putting thing was the other clientele; hard to explain their rather aggressive, self-important vibe - let's just say I wouldn't have been surprised to see a Kardashian walk in. ; ) A business can't really control who frequents it, so I certainly can't blame the restaurant. Just rather odd. Not enough to keep us away, though; we'll be back!Special Features:
- BpiperVIPDined on 8/25/2014Food was great, as was the ambiance-very sleek, contemporary sexy environment. Great views. 2thumbs up!Special Features:
- Our entire meal was exceptional!LorabellVIPDined on 8/25/2014Service was outstanding! Our friend's first time to Departure. They all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View & food equally greatsmartakusVIPDined on 8/24/2014We made reservations for 4 here, were drawn by the reviews of the food (which was across the board great) but were wowed by the view of Portland. Try to get a table outside; we didn't because outside tables are first come, first served, but in retrospect it would have been worth the 30 minute wait (at the bar). Food is all appetizer size portions, so for a party of four we each ordered 3 items and shared everything. Such a fun way to eat with a group. Will return here next time we're in Portland.Special Features:
- Great Spot!N2sheppDined on 8/24/2014I visit Departure on every visit to Portland and always enjoy it. This is the first time I went there with a group. My fear was that they could not satisfy everyone. I was so wrong. Everyone in my party of 7 enjoyed the great food, beautiful view, and exceptional service. I highly recommend Departure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!!RankyDined on 8/23/2014Every food item had a unique taste and it felt like I had never eaten anything like that before. Chicken Curry noodles (I guess) was really good and the best thing was the desert - banana split. The only think that was not good was inside seating. We sat outside to avoid noise and rush around the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food but a bit loudPDX42Dined on 8/23/2014We made reservations to celebrate two of our Birthdays and the food and service were excellent. We found it to be a bit loud and the volume increases as the evening bears on. Just a little much if you're wishing to carry on dinner conversation. I made the reservation far in advance, in order to secure a table with a nice view. I also confirmed this the day of, but our view ended up to be of a rooftop. We simply let it go. Overall, I wouldn't say the atmosphere is in our taste but the service level and food quality was amazing. We may return for Happy Hour sometime and give it another try. :-)Special Features:
- One of our favesSuzbergDined on 8/23/2014We have never been disappointed at Departure. The food is great, has a NW twist on Asian fare, and the sake choices are plentiful. It is always hopping, but the wait staff keeps up, and is very attentive. The stir fried brussel sprouts were new to the menu since our last visit, and are fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Great FoodTaterTotHunterDined on 8/20/2014Sunny evening, 75 degrees, on the deck overlooking the city, friends from out of town. Tough to top the venue, and then the food comes! Too many amazing combinations and tastes to detail. If you've not been here, make it a priority.Special Features:
- was worriedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Read some reviews that this place was pretentious and the staff was rude. I thought about cancelling the reservation but I am so glad I didnt the food was amazing and the staff was very friendly and attentive. I will be going back, two thumbs up !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Absolutely delicious food. I love that they have a separate vegan menu and put just as much effort into those offerings. Our server, Ben, was very attentive and provided great recommendations on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Food was great and was impressed by extensive vegan menu. However it gets very loud and crowded. Not very romantic. I was also impressed that they called me to confirm me reservation and asked for any request. I mentioned my friend is vegan and that I would like a view. I was then dissapointed that they did nothing with this info and we still had to request a vegan menu. Got stuck in middle of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disorganization with a vieweatsinpdxDined on 8/15/2014After Departure confirmed our reservation twice and acknowledged it was our anniversary, I was extremely disappointed that they sat us right next to a very large (and drunk) group away from any windows with a view. There were several tables open by the windows which they were situating for another new large group and considering there were three tables of couples trying to have nice dates squashed together you would really think they could manage their seating better for the experience of their diners. I am aware that this is a very popular location but better management could solve the majority of the problems. Considering that, some of my prior experiences here had been much better so it goes to show improvements can be done.Special Features:
- Great group fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014Had a great dinner for a group of 11. Ben took great care of us, suggesting a great menu !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan ParadiseJasperMarksDined on 8/15/2014I've lost count of how many times I have visited Departure. And it seems that every time I do visit I'm turning someone new on to the amazing vegan menu. I was really excited to see that my old favorites are still on the menu, plus a Korean bowl as been added. It's my new favorite dish. I always order way too much, but enjoy having it for lunch the next day. Go Chef Gregory!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014So glad a Portland resident suggested this place! Departure was so cool from beginning to end. For food the two of us enjoyed 5 plates: Brussels sprouts, unagi/steal sushi roll, crispy pork belly, chicken wings & the octopus in watermelon curry. Every single dish was unique and tasted amazing. 5 plates & 2 rounds all under $100 --So surprised at how well priced it was. Our server Crysyal was personable, friendly & she had a busy section but everytime she stopped by at our table she was smiling. My only complaint was the food runner that evening seemed to have such a bad attitude and would pretty much roll his eyes everytime he dropped our food & described the dish. Other than that, I would definitely recommend & return to Departure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreatCoolmumDined on 8/14/2014This is a great place to go to feel you are escaping the city and want a treat. Atmosphere is hip and sophisticated. You want to dress nicely to go here. And food is great. Small plates are perfect to share.Special Features:
- Hot Spot High on the TownaldoDined on 8/14/2014Spending just a few minutes zooming to the top of the old Maier & Frank building to Departure on the 15th floor is simply worth the wait list. We are vegan and the menu options were delicious and reasonably priced. We had hoped to get that corner table on the edge - you know the one - wide sweeping view of downtown looking East over the river toward Mt. Hood. As luck would have it, the wait list was longer than expected. However, mid-meal we did upgrade from an inner table to edge seating. Adding icing to the cake - yes, it was a birthday dinner for my friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014My friend and I were recommended Departure for the downtown view. It will blow your mind. And if that weren't enough, the food is outstanding. Will def return. We arrived at 10:30 and stayed til 1:15am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic ViewJoshuaDined on 8/9/2014This is THE spot in town to take your sweetie in order to enjoy a romantic city view. It can get hot when the sun is out, so plan your trip accordingly.Special Features:
- More lounge than ResaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/8/2014Departure is great for the bar scene and interesting drinks. But if you're looking to actually enjoy a good meal and converse with the company your with, then this is not the place to go. Departure is a lounge that serves small plates to eat and share while you drink. The place has amazing views, modern furniture, and a eclectic interior design. The noise level is very high making normal conversation difficult We could not wait to get out of there.Special Features:
- Artsy Food and delicious drinksCatladyDined on 8/5/2014The food is very fun and the combinations often unusual, With delightful results. Delicious signature cocktails. Hot spot for a great date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, eclectic, modernOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Feels a bit like walking through a spaceship but the views, service, good, and drink were amazing. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Vegan MealJasperMarksDined on 8/3/2014Departure never fails to please. We're thrilled that they have a vegan menu. We celebrated a birthday for a non-vegan friend. As always, we had to order more vegan dishes because the non-vegan couldn't stop eating all of the yummy meat free goodies.Special Features:
- Great for out-of-townersCyber1thomasDined on 8/2/2014This is a great place to go if you are from out of town, or to take someone who is visiting Portland. The view is great, we had great service and the food was better than expected. We sat inside, but the outdoor patio is a great place to meet people and have a drink.Special Features:
- Superb!LovesushiDined on 8/2/2014Love Departures! Delicious and beautiful food with sexy and stylish atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy, Happy HourpdxfilesDined on 8/2/2014We were seated right away, excellent service, drinks were refreshing and food was SCRUMPTOUSLY DIVINE!Special Features:
- Not a place for foodFrancheskaDined on 8/2/2014Departure is great for the atmosphere, the lounge, the drinks. If you're looking to actually EAT and enjoy a savory meal, skip departure. This is not a restaurant, it's a lounge first. This means smaller than small plates with bigger and than big prices. Menu choices are odd and the food is mediocre. The scallop dish had 5 halves of smallish scallops and a few asparagus shavings for close to $20. The place is great, amazing views, modern furniture, amazing interior design. But you can only enjoy one of the decks if you are there to EAT out, not drink. Again, place to drink and lounge not to dine.Special Features:
- Great meal, awesome service.Eat2liveDined on 8/1/2014We went to Departure for our anniversary and it was perfect. The food is delicious and unique. The atmosphere perfect for our special occasion and our waiter, Ben was attentive and was able to recommend the perfect combination of food. It was a great evening and we will return soon.Special Features:
- A1 Customer ServiceBelieveTheHypeDined on 8/1/2014Our waitress was superb! My party of 5 was in Portland on business. Portland weather was spectacular. My group was from Utah, Kansas, and New Mexico so I knew it would be slightly out of their food boundary, but I knew your chef and menu would rise to the occasion. At the very least I knew the cocktails would not disappoint. We tried many recommendations from our waitress (after her patient descriptions) and they did not disappoint. And we especially enjoyed their banana split and sponge cake dessert choices! We had one issue that could've spoiled our adventure. However, after alerting our waitress, she informed the manager, who responded appropriately. Departure lived up to the hype. I shall return...soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.