Demun Oyster Bar
740 DeMun Ave
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Demun Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.demunoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 3147250322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am-3:00pm, Dinner 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ben Edison
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Demun Oyster Bar
Born from the ambitions of those that created Sasha's on Demun and Sasha's on Shaw I am the newest addition to the fun and service offered to you in the form of great atmosphere, great nosh, and of course copious libations. I hope you'll find your way to our classic and historical rennovation, where you're sure to find a great time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Demun Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Demun Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (40)romantic (28)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (20)scenic view (13)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- DeMun Oyster BarBMackDined on 9/14/2014OUTSTANDING ... food, atmosphere, setting. This is a gem that is hidden away in a neighborhood of Clayton, MO, a suburb of St. Louis. Once you find it you will never forget it. DeMun Oyster Bar is near the theological seminary of Concordia Univ. Modest bar with good choices of liquor and wine (did not check beer list). It is not just "fish" on menu, and they has great selections of oysters. I look forward to someday returning to St. Louis and to this restaurant. All St. Louis area residents are missing a great treat. GO CARDINALS!
- JamesCDined on 9/1/2014Excellent food - outstanding selection of cheeses. Everything on the menu that we tried was first-rateSpecial Features:
- Quick findluvwineDined on 8/30/2014Limited, but good menu. Great oysters, and wine list.Special Features:
- go for the seafoodNomossundermyfeetDined on 8/22/2014Some in the group like seafood and some do not. The oysters were fresh and absolutely delicious; Caesar salad was good. Bibb salad was VERY bland; I think they forgot to put dressing on it. Size of both salads was generous and greens were fresh. French fries were amazing - actually one of the best parts of the meal. Chicken on polenta: The polenta was fabulous; the chicken was very blah. You HAD to take a bite of polenta to 1/2-way enjoy the chicken. Recommend you stick to the seafood dishes and fries and you will not be disappointed. Bistro setting; you are not encouraged to linger.Special Features:
- Food.BadgerDogDined on 8/17/2014I had oysters for the first time here. Staff was smart and helpful. Fish entrees were excellent. Service is top notch.Special Features:
- The Best Place for Oysters and FishBesstDined on 8/16/2014If you are a sea food lover, this is one of the best restaurants in St. Louis. Fresh, original and warm hospitality. It is one of my favorite go-to places.Special Features:
- Good but noisyLKA1Dined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent, seafood fresh. Glad the rain stopped so we could sit outside because it was REALLY noisy inside. Most likely would not have stayed if we would've had to eat inside. Could do better on the martini. Ordered a dirty but it was not dirty. Straight up vodka with a few olives.Special Features:
- Great dinner at Demun Oyster Bar!KarenszDined on 7/25/2014Had a great dinner here! The seafood was incredible- I had their shrimp and scallops over beet pasta, and the seafood was perfect! My son had salmon and said it was the best he'd tasted. Demun's is a small neighborhood place, with outdoor seating in front when the weather is good. Very cool place inside and we loved that the windows were all open to the outside. Service was very good- our only small complaint is that the cheese board should come with either crackers or some kind of flatbread. We had to ask for some, and got a few little melba toast things. Otherwise, a great spot- will definitely go back next time we're in St Louis!Special Features:
- Best Oysters in STLOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014The Oysters were fantastic especially for being in the heartland.Special Features:
- Fantastic sea bassOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Love this restaurant. Oysters always delish. Sea bass in parchment special perfection. Beautiful setting inside and outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more help.DOMSTL27Dined on 7/15/2014Cute place! Drinks were unique. Service was slow. One waitress for about 15 tables. The other employees tried to help but they couldn't tell what tables she had and had not serviced.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceSouthsidefanDined on 7/4/2014Twice now my significant other and myself have brought out of town guest here for that special experience. Both times Logan has been our server and both times the food, service, and drinks have surpassed expectations. We will continue to keep this quaint gem our special go to place for those important nights.Special Features:
- Such an experience!MissylynnDined on 7/3/2014Taken here for bday lunch; group of 8. Use open table- fills up fast! Staff loved educating us about the types of oysters which are flown in fresh DAILY. So much pride in prep and the taste - WOW! Not an oyster fan - no problem as the freshest shrimp, lobster, pasta, and pork dishes adorn the menu as well. Cannot WAIT to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A strong play!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014Demun Oyster Bar consistently delivers great food, a relaxed atmosphere, and good service. The sidewalk and open air seating can't be beat when the weather is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great feel.16thDined on 6/28/2014Perfect night to sit outdoors and have wonderful seafood, felt like we were back in Belgium.Special Features:
- Delightful eveningGumbo57Dined on 6/23/2014A warm summer evening had the restaurant opened up into the sidewalk seating, and it was like dining in New Orleans--gorgeous. The seafood is perfectly prepared, and it is nice to be able to order by the piece (if you wish) to suit your appetite. We polished off a bottle of wine while watching fireflies.Special Features:
- SkipperDined on 6/20/2014The menu is a bit overpriced for what this place is.Special Features:
- Oysters are greatMinkDined on 6/16/2014Great selection of fresh west coast oysters on the half shell. Leave room for the wonderful desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed neighborhood dinningRainyDined on 6/15/2014Demun Oyster Bar is a favorite! The oysters are fresh and they always have a great selection and usually from both coasts. Every time I order something different from the menu and I'm never disappointed. If your feeling brave, try one of their crazy cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Air Dining at its Best!happydinerDined on 6/7/2014Wonderful oysters, delicious menu, excellent service!Special Features:
- Really nicewatashiwalshDined on 6/2/2014Great food. Possibly the most enjoyable I had had in a while. Really nice vibe. Staff is really nice. Very friendly to our 5 month old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 68 reviews are from the Demun Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- always goodreviewernicknameDined on 5/24/2014This was our third time here. Love it more every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food. bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The food was what was expected. But our server was nonexistent all night. If it wasnt for other staff members randomly coming by every 15mins or so I feel I never would have been able to orde4 more drinks or get my bill or pay it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2014The staff was very accommodating as the group grew from 5-6 and went from outside to inside. Good advice on which Oysters to try for 1st timers from patient staff. Fish and pasta specials were very good. Atmosphere was fun, cool vibe inside and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Restaurant in St. LouisFriarspointDined on 5/16/2014The DeMun Oyster Bar is the best restaurant in St. Louis. The seafood is as good as you'll get on any coast. The cocktails are all topshelf. The ambiance is beautiful, inviting, and cozy. The waitstaff and bartenders are exactly the right balance of friendly but not too friendly. The prices are not low, but you can easily fill up on the reasonably priced non-entrees. Worth going to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Bar OutstandingTheOtherTableDined on 5/5/2014Wanted something new and close. The oyster Bar fit the bill. The oyster chowder was fabulous as were the other two dishes we ordered. The salad was fresh and flavorful. Our waitress was helpful, there when you needed her, not when you didn't. We will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We go to Demun Oyster bar because we love oysters and you all do them right. The service is ALWAYS slow, inattentive and like its their first job waitress job they have ever had. You have to actually find them to order dinner or drinks. Just think about what a success you would be if you actually had wait staff that liked what they did and knew how to do their job. Best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now seems consistently very goodGAry1392Dined on 5/2/2014This was our fourth or fifth visit to the Oyster Bar and the last two (over the most recent two months) were different from the first ones - now food is consistently very good to excellent, service competent and improved and specials are more creative. We now don't hesitate in considering this as a great option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodwasgordonDined on 5/1/2014Went there for dinner with some friends and the food was reallly great. It was my second visit in about a month and the second time it was really great food. Service was good too. I had the same waiter both times. Very happy with the menu, the service and the food. Give it a try.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch: So-So ExperiencejihyeDined on 4/20/2014I had the Lavender 75 to drink and other than the obscenely huge piece of lemon zest floated in it it was yummy. Shrimp cocktail was EXPENSIVE (3.50 / piece) but scrumptious. Fiancé had crab cake benedict and devoured it, but wishes it would have come with some side dish (ie potatoes?). I had the Hangtown Fry and it was delicious. Staff was plenty friendly, but were disorganized and slow. My drink, which should have been frothy and foamy, sat on the bar for 5 mins or more before the bartender (chatting to patrons) brought it over. Overall it was a good experience in great atmosphere--I'd go back for a less-special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014Beautiful night for outdoor dining with delicious fried oysters and a bowl of mussels! Nice wine selection to compliment the seafood. Helpful staff. A great neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprised!StarvingartistVIPDined on 4/4/2014Once a favorite restaurant: After being served the evening special... Bouillibaise... that wasn't close to being Bouillibaise I asked after a crouton and rouille. I was condescendingly told there was "no rouille tonight"... and then charged $.50 for a small slice of bread... Cheap shot. I won't be back! Quid pro quo...
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/3/2014This was my first time here. For the price, it was a nice experience. Nice menu selection, nice bar and wine selection, and nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeMun Oyster BarchinaDined on 4/1/2014Great little place tucked away on DeMun. Fantastic oysters, a nice atmosphere with the option of a patio in the warmer seasons, and awesome service. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but don't be in a hurryKYKAT23Dined on 3/23/2014The food was excellent. They fly their seafood in fresh every day and every bite was wonderful. We started with a selection of oysters on the half-shell and it was a treat to have west coast oysters. Our problem the evening we were there was the service. The restaurant was woefully understaffed and we were there for 40 minutes before we were even given menus. Shortly after seating we were given an amuse bouche, but given that they knew service was slow they should have given us more than 1 per person. Waters were slow to be refilled. I ordered a Cioppino which is a seafood stew. They did not bring a spoon when they brought out the dish and I asked for some bread to go with it and I was done with my dish by the time I got my bread.Special Features:
- great raw Pacific oyster selection,tubman74Dined on 3/22/2014great raw Pacific oyster selection, shrimp cocktail, and oyster stew. Cool vibrant atmosphere (but small) across from neighborhood park. Very good service incl at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great.musicfaninmoDined on 3/21/2014One of the better places for seafood in St. Louis. Waiter was knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very So SocraigDined on 3/8/2014Food was average at best. Some of the combos for plating were not understood and did not work. If the meal was $50 I would have felt different, but at $120, not even close. Server started strong and by the end of the meal completely forgot about us and we had to flag him down just to get a check.
- Gracious evening.WrensongDined on 3/1/2014Our first experience at the Demun Oyster Bar was a real pleasure. The stuffed oysters were marvelous. The Bay Scallops au gratin were very good but it turned out the dish had bacon which was not disclosed on the menu and I am allergic to. Our lovely server, Mel, immediately put in an order for two Sea Scallops which arrived perfectly grilled, tender and delicious with a plum sauce. We also had a creamed spinach and finished the meal with Beignet fingers and three dipping sauces which was a stand out. The service was impeccible and the busy Saturday night made for a lively atmosphere. We will go again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialFrankVIPDined on 2/28/2014Second time here. Cute place. oysters great! Fresh fish special very good, although this time the tile fish was a touch underdone and my date's was way too salty (and she likes lots of salt). Service this time was on the slow side. I will go back because I love the oysters and the fish specials are usually unique and tasty. Hope we hit a mediocre night is all.Special Features: