Demun Oyster Bar
740 DeMun Ave
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Demun Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.demunoysterbar.com/
- Phone: (314) 725-0322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00am-3:00pm, Dinner 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Ben Edison
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Demun Oyster Bar
Born from the ambitions of those that created Sasha's on Demun and Sasha's on Shaw I am the newest addition to the fun and service offered to you in the form of great atmosphere, great nosh, and of course copious libations. I hope you'll find your way to our classic and historical rennovation, where you're sure to find a great time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Demun Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
Demun Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (29)fit for foodies (24)romantic (14)special occasion (13)scenic view (9)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Salt LickAndreaBDined on 11/21/2014Like so many restaurants, DOB serves salt with some food under it. I got mussels which were plump and tender but drowned in saline solution, er, buerre blanc, and fries. When the server checked the table, she offered to bring new fries, which she did. They were less salty but still limp and greasy, but the gesture was appreciated. My husband had the fish special, mahi mahi, with vegetables and potatoes, but even with all the salt, the fish was overly fishy. Should have heeded the advice about avoiding specials because what it usually means is "gotta use this today or throw it out." Service was brisk and ginger manhattans were good, but I won't be back except for nightcaps. I'm especially disappointed because we're new to the 'hood and I was hoping this could be a regular place for us.Special Features:
- Makes ya wanna movePawPawSlimDined on 11/18/2014Driving down shady DeMun, headed toward the Oyster Bar, once again we have those thoughts of selling the house in Edwardsville and the two rental props and buying a quaint li'l place in this 'hood. It is so peaceful. And we could walk to Demun Oyster Bar ... and Sasha's ... and Jimmy's .... We really grok this cool strip on the park, for the tone and the food. DOB always has some fresh oysters, and if they do not have the brut rose we prefer to accompany those oysters, they have something similar either there or they fetch one from down the street. My wife and I usually order two of each oyster they have available and then choose another half-duz of the one of those that we found most interesting and delectable that day. For brunch, it is hard to beat the crabcakes Benedict, but I always say I am going to try the fried oyster dish; after watching my friend Tim devour some fried oysters Tuesday night and smile contentedly, I am going to try extra hard to stick to that resolution next time ... or the next next time. Great food, fresh food, nice staff, small and light-filled: you should check it out. It is a super place to hit on a Sunday at noon before going to the Rep matinee or for a goodbye-have-a-nice-trip send-off lunch before you drop someone off at the airport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Found this terrific place while looking for oysters for my husbands birthday. I came across DeMun Oyster Bar and reserved a table on line. We were charmed by the quaint bitro setting. The oysters were better than we have found on the beach and flown in fresh every day. We also enjoyed the cheese board with three cheeses. The chef came by and checked on our meal mentioning the birthday occasion we were there for. Nice for him to keep a hand in all aspects of the restaurant. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014had a fabulous dinner. Our first time eating there and had a great dinner with good surroundings. Will definately come back!Special Features:
- Great FindCeeDawgVIPDined on 10/15/2014As an out of towner the Oyster Bar was a terrific find to feed and entertain my local relatives. The setting was delightful as was the food and service. I had a group and the service was very good, still the setting seemed more romantic, than catering a group. Enjoy it St. Louis.Special Features:
- Cool spotLuvs2sploogeDined on 10/9/2014Great atmosphere, great food, service was ok (not horrible but not too bad,) but we went there for the food not the waitress, so I'd say its a super cool, intimate dining place with great seafood and drinks.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!IrishDined on 10/1/2014Great food in quaint Demun neighborhood. Fun to eat inside with the garage size windows open or outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place for dinnerLuv2eatVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had a very nice meal at Demun Oyster bar. They have a great patio and nice selection of oysters. We enjoyed all of our dishes except the seafood pasta. The pasta had too much sauce for the amount of noodles. The clams and french fries are awesome.Special Features:
- DeMun Oyster BarBMackDined on 9/14/2014OUTSTANDING ... food, atmosphere, setting. This is a gem that is hidden away in a neighborhood of Clayton, MO, a suburb of St. Louis. Once you find it you will never forget it. DeMun Oyster Bar is near the theological seminary of Concordia Univ. Modest bar with good choices of liquor and wine (did not check beer list). It is not just "fish" on menu, and they has great selections of oysters. I look forward to someday returning to St. Louis and to this restaurant. All St. Louis area residents are missing a great treat. GO CARDINALS!
- JamesCDined on 9/1/2014Excellent food - outstanding selection of cheeses. Everything on the menu that we tried was first-rateSpecial Features:
- Quick findluvwineDined on 8/30/2014Limited, but good menu. Great oysters, and wine list.Special Features:
- go for the seafoodNomossundermyfeetDined on 8/22/2014Some in the group like seafood and some do not. The oysters were fresh and absolutely delicious; Caesar salad was good. Bibb salad was VERY bland; I think they forgot to put dressing on it. Size of both salads was generous and greens were fresh. French fries were amazing - actually one of the best parts of the meal. Chicken on polenta: The polenta was fabulous; the chicken was very blah. You HAD to take a bite of polenta to 1/2-way enjoy the chicken. Recommend you stick to the seafood dishes and fries and you will not be disappointed. Bistro setting; you are not encouraged to linger.Special Features:
- Food.BadgerDogDined on 8/17/2014I had oysters for the first time here. Staff was smart and helpful. Fish entrees were excellent. Service is top notch.Special Features:
- The Best Place for Oysters and FishBesstDined on 8/16/2014If you are a sea food lover, this is one of the best restaurants in St. Louis. Fresh, original and warm hospitality. It is one of my favorite go-to places.Special Features:
- Good but noisyLKA1Dined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent, seafood fresh. Glad the rain stopped so we could sit outside because it was REALLY noisy inside. Most likely would not have stayed if we would've had to eat inside. Could do better on the martini. Ordered a dirty but it was not dirty. Straight up vodka with a few olives.Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the Demun Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Great dinner at Demun Oyster Bar!KarenszDined on 7/25/2014Had a great dinner here! The seafood was incredible- I had their shrimp and scallops over beet pasta, and the seafood was perfect! My son had salmon and said it was the best he'd tasted. Demun's is a small neighborhood place, with outdoor seating in front when the weather is good. Very cool place inside and we loved that the windows were all open to the outside. Service was very good- our only small complaint is that the cheese board should come with either crackers or some kind of flatbread. We had to ask for some, and got a few little melba toast things. Otherwise, a great spot- will definitely go back next time we're in St Louis!Special Features:
- Best Oysters in STLOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014The Oysters were fantastic especially for being in the heartland.Special Features:
- Fantastic sea bassOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Love this restaurant. Oysters always delish. Sea bass in parchment special perfection. Beautiful setting inside and outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need more help.DOMSTL27Dined on 7/15/2014Cute place! Drinks were unique. Service was slow. One waitress for about 15 tables. The other employees tried to help but they couldn't tell what tables she had and had not serviced.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceSouthsidefanDined on 7/4/2014Twice now my significant other and myself have brought out of town guest here for that special experience. Both times Logan has been our server and both times the food, service, and drinks have surpassed expectations. We will continue to keep this quaint gem our special go to place for those important nights.Special Features:
- Such an experience!MissylynnDined on 7/3/2014Taken here for bday lunch; group of 8. Use open table- fills up fast! Staff loved educating us about the types of oysters which are flown in fresh DAILY. So much pride in prep and the taste - WOW! Not an oyster fan - no problem as the freshest shrimp, lobster, pasta, and pork dishes adorn the menu as well. Cannot WAIT to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A strong play!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014Demun Oyster Bar consistently delivers great food, a relaxed atmosphere, and good service. The sidewalk and open air seating can't be beat when the weather is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great feel.16thDined on 6/28/2014Perfect night to sit outdoors and have wonderful seafood, felt like we were back in Belgium.Special Features:
- Delightful eveningGumbo57Dined on 6/23/2014A warm summer evening had the restaurant opened up into the sidewalk seating, and it was like dining in New Orleans--gorgeous. The seafood is perfectly prepared, and it is nice to be able to order by the piece (if you wish) to suit your appetite. We polished off a bottle of wine while watching fireflies.Special Features:
- SkipperDined on 6/20/2014The menu is a bit overpriced for what this place is.Special Features:
- Oysters are greatMinkDined on 6/16/2014Great selection of fresh west coast oysters on the half shell. Leave room for the wonderful desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed neighborhood dinningRainyDined on 6/15/2014Demun Oyster Bar is a favorite! The oysters are fresh and they always have a great selection and usually from both coasts. Every time I order something different from the menu and I'm never disappointed. If your feeling brave, try one of their crazy cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open Air Dining at its Best!happydinerDined on 6/7/2014Wonderful oysters, delicious menu, excellent service!Special Features:
- Really nicewatashiwalshDined on 6/2/2014Great food. Possibly the most enjoyable I had had in a while. Really nice vibe. Staff is really nice. Very friendly to our 5 month old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodreviewernicknameDined on 5/24/2014This was our third time here. Love it more every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food. bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The food was what was expected. But our server was nonexistent all night. If it wasnt for other staff members randomly coming by every 15mins or so I feel I never would have been able to orde4 more drinks or get my bill or pay it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/22/2014The staff was very accommodating as the group grew from 5-6 and went from outside to inside. Good advice on which Oysters to try for 1st timers from patient staff. Fish and pasta specials were very good. Atmosphere was fun, cool vibe inside and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Restaurant in St. LouisFriarspointVIPDined on 5/16/2014The DeMun Oyster Bar is the best restaurant in St. Louis. The seafood is as good as you'll get on any coast. The cocktails are all topshelf. The ambiance is beautiful, inviting, and cozy. The waitstaff and bartenders are exactly the right balance of friendly but not too friendly. The prices are not low, but you can easily fill up on the reasonably priced non-entrees. Worth going to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster Bar OutstandingTheOtherTableDined on 5/5/2014Wanted something new and close. The oyster Bar fit the bill. The oyster chowder was fabulous as were the other two dishes we ordered. The salad was fresh and flavorful. Our waitress was helpful, there when you needed her, not when you didn't. We will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We go to Demun Oyster bar because we love oysters and you all do them right. The service is ALWAYS slow, inattentive and like its their first job waitress job they have ever had. You have to actually find them to order dinner or drinks. Just think about what a success you would be if you actually had wait staff that liked what they did and knew how to do their job. Best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now seems consistently very goodGAry1392VIPDined on 5/2/2014This was our fourth or fifth visit to the Oyster Bar and the last two (over the most recent two months) were different from the first ones - now food is consistently very good to excellent, service competent and improved and specials are more creative. We now don't hesitate in considering this as a great option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodwasgordonDined on 5/1/2014Went there for dinner with some friends and the food was reallly great. It was my second visit in about a month and the second time it was really great food. Service was good too. I had the same waiter both times. Very happy with the menu, the service and the food. Give it a try.Special Features:
- Easter Brunch: So-So ExperiencejihyeDined on 4/20/2014I had the Lavender 75 to drink and other than the obscenely huge piece of lemon zest floated in it it was yummy. Shrimp cocktail was EXPENSIVE (3.50 / piece) but scrumptious. Fiancé had crab cake benedict and devoured it, but wishes it would have come with some side dish (ie potatoes?). I had the Hangtown Fry and it was delicious. Staff was plenty friendly, but were disorganized and slow. My drink, which should have been frothy and foamy, sat on the bar for 5 mins or more before the bartender (chatting to patrons) brought it over. Overall it was a good experience in great atmosphere--I'd go back for a less-special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/12/2014Beautiful night for outdoor dining with delicious fried oysters and a bowl of mussels! Nice wine selection to compliment the seafood. Helpful staff. A great neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprised!StarvingartistVIPDined on 4/4/2014Once a favorite restaurant: After being served the evening special... Bouillibaise... that wasn't close to being Bouillibaise I asked after a crouton and rouille. I was condescendingly told there was "no rouille tonight"... and then charged $.50 for a small slice of bread... Cheap shot. I won't be back! Quid pro quo...