Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
4801 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
AfricanPrice: $30 and under
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.demeraethiopianrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 773-334-8787
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Tigiste Reda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Besides the traditional fare served in our restaurant, we will gladly work with you to include any other dishes you may require. In fact, we recently catered an affair where half the dishes were Ethiopian and the other half were Italian.
- Entertainment: Seyoum Allemseged sings and plays traditional Ethiopian songs on his Krar (a stringed instrument) Friday and Saturday nights during dinner service.
- Cross Street: Lawrence
- Public Transit: We are one block west of the Lawrence Avenue Red Line Stop and directly across the street from two Broadway CTA stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large pay box parking lot behind the restaurant, just west of the red line on Lawrence.
A word from Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant offers traditional Ethiopian cuisine in a cozy and casual atmosphere and offers a great selection of African and American beer and homemade Ethiopian honey wine. Our food is prepared using the freshest ingredients, gathered, whenever possible, from local producers. We offer a wide variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes and can accommodate gluten allergies with 24 hour notice. Please, join us for a truly unique dining experience, the best coffee in Chicago and live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (15)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food here was wonderful. I've not experienced many Ethiopian Restaurants but my taste buds were happy. There were several first timers to this type of food and they enjoyed it and said it was a really good experience to try something different. The service was great. They were calm, friendly and efficient. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun surpriseFfpedVIPDined on 8/15/2014What a new and fun experience! Very much enjoyed the flavors, colors and adventure in eating Ethiopian food! Thanks for a great experience and looking forward to next time.Special Features:
- Excellent food, subdued atmosphereHenthomaDined on 8/11/2014First off, the food was fantastic. The selection of tsebhi was broad enough that you could vary the experience (plenty of veggie options, but also lamb, chicken, shrimp, and fish) but small enough that sampling 6 of them - the combo dishes seemed like the only real way to go - felt like it covered all the bases. The waitstaff was friendly, and seemed more than happy to (at our request) hold our hand through the ordering process (and ultimately pick our tsebhi for us). It was great. The place did seem slightly understaffed for the size, though. The only real downside was the atmosphere. Between it's spartan layout and filling fare, Demera felt like a better choice for a hearty lunch than as a jumping off point for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intro to etheopianDiamondrahDined on 8/8/2014First time for etheopian food. The server was knowledgeable and helped us order. The food was great. Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeeatsalotoffoodDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic food with a fun experience. I went with my girlfriend for her birthday and neither of us had eaten Ethiopian food before, we both loved it and it was fun to eat messob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2essenceVIPDined on 8/1/2014Such a nice place! The food was prepared beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingluv2dineDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food and great service! I've been here a few times and always left satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good!Sara312Dined on 7/25/2014As an Ethiopian, I can recall my mother cooking all day for a meal. Demera did not disappoint! Their sambusas are delicious (heads up, they split each one in two) and the meal was great. Definitely will go again!Special Features:
- Always AmazingHNB1981Dined on 7/21/2014I went to Demera for the first time in many years with a friend who was visiting from out of town but also had a love for traditional Ethiopian food just as I do. The menu is easy-to-navigate and does very well in explaining the dishes, which is good for the patron who is new to Ethiopian cuisine. The food was delicious. We ordered mossab so there were a ton of leftovers, which were just as good the next day for lunch! The service was prompt and professional and friendly, as it always is. I cannot wait to return in the very near future; I wish I still lived in the city so I could go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No sour bread for you!MikeDined on 7/11/2014Not everyone has a taste for their sour bread, so Demera offers another bread that is not sour. But they didn't have any on the Friday night we went back. No excuses management! A restaurant of your caliber should not run out of anything.
- I love this placeChicagoDPDined on 6/27/2014The food here is out of this world! I can't get enough!!Special Features:
- My Dinner Experience2tastyand8greatDined on 6/27/2014Everything, from the service to the food, was amazing. The waiter knew the different kinds and taste's of the food to help guide me in choosing what I would like. When the food did arrive, they explained what everything was and constantly made sure our food was good, the drinks were filled, and we were having the best experience possible. I love eating here and will continue to go.Special Features:
- We'll be backMikeDined on 6/21/2014Just moved into the city. Expliring new restaurants. This one is a keeper! Sour bread not to my liking. You can request regular bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiggymigsDined on 6/7/2014Everything was great food wise… but felt that our waiter was rushing us. The hostess asked if we wanted deserts and 10 mins later the waiter just handed us our bill. Like you are done and THANK YOU!Special Features:
- I can't find a standardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Overall I don't know if Demera's food is to be blamed for a review stating the experience is mediocre. Maybe the food is sticking to its vision and I won't blame a restaurant for that. It didn't compliment my tastes however. The bread was extremely sour, sour to the point where it overpowered everything we ate with it. The dessert was just puffed up pastry with no notable flavors except the raspberry sauce it was smothered in. Even that was "meh". The sambusa was pretty good though. The service...a server does not need to be nice nor do I care if they are but they do need to come and take the order in a timely matter and at least refill my water when it is empty. Maybe the lack of both is just how it goes. I don't take it personally.Special Features:
- Pleasant dining experienceluianneDined on 5/31/2014The food was tasty and prepared at the level of spiceness noted. It would have been helpful for the waitperson to ask if we had been to an Ethiopian Restaurant before (once quite a while ago) and then explain the tradition. It was not bad nor great. Would go back but not necessarily seek out.Special Features:
- Ethiopian gemeatingwellchicagoDined on 5/23/2014had a great birthday lunch with my family. Food is interesting, delicious and served in a way that makes a lunch a lovely communal experience.Attentive but non-intrusive service from Ethiopian servers - perhaps family to the owners. Easy to get to as well. We will come back often to this Uptown Chicago gem.Special Features:
- Amazing food!SouthLoopMomDined on 5/11/2014I've been coming to Demera since they opened and they have never disappointed. They're food is delicious and keeps on improving each time I've been there. It is the best of all the Ethiopian restaurants I've tried and also one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago of any kind.Special Features:
- The following 419 reviews are from the Demera Ethiopian Restaurant reviews archive.
- GREAT EthiopianvnesDined on 5/3/2014I would rate Demera as one of the best in the city for Ethiopian. Their samboosas are the best and also try to Tej honey wine. Overall a great dining experience for close friends and families. Very child friendly and they get to eat with their hands.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/26/2014Always a delicious dining experience at Demera. We enjoyed a quick meal before a show, and the prompt and courteous staff was able to get us in and out quick, while we still enjoyed our wine and conversation.Special Features:
- Cheers1114Dined on 4/26/2014Food was great, waitstaff was pleasant. They even have Ethiopian tiramisu which was better than some Italian restaurants. KUDOS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & FunBrunchFanDined on 4/25/2014The restaurant offers many great sampler patterns that will make carnivores, omnivores, and vegetarians happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous different & funBossypantsVIPDined on 4/24/2014Yummy and fun. Servers generous with explanations and sampling. Different and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great holiday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We decided to take it easy this Easter holiday by having dinner out instead cooking a big meal at home. Earlier in the week our 12 year old demanded when my wife and i planned a date night that she approved of us going anywhere without here except Demera. So we decided for Easter this was the place to go. We. Ould not decide among the great selection of dishes so We ordered the Chief's selection and it was fantastic with lamb,fish, chicken &beef plus lentils. Chickpeas, greens , and salad. All were fresh and wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysAdventurousEaterDined on 4/18/2014I've been to Demera a few times, each time with a different size group. They are excellent at accommodating specific menu requests-- we ordered the family style platter for 5 (there was enough for at least 6!) but asked to substitute more vegetarian options for the seafood options, and there was no problem there. This time I had the bourbon/shai tea cocktail, it is DELICIOUS. We are doing our rehearsal dinner here, they have a great large group menu which includes salads and desserts for everyone. Service is always very friendly. It was packed in here at 6pm on a Friday, always a good sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Food ExperienceHannahGDined on 4/13/2014There is no silverware in this restaurant, but the communal dining is a great group experience with flavors I haven't tasted elsewhere. The setting was nice and the patronage was a diverse net of people who seemed to also be having a good time. The place is definitely a finer dining place. The portions are large, so don't be surprised if you don't finish it. You will have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, casual atmospheredineoutDined on 4/12/2014Demera is one of our 'go-to' neighborhood restaurants - excellent food, lively atmosphere. Their vegetarian menu is extensive - so there is something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GF friendlyBulldogladiesDined on 4/10/2014Very accommodating of the food allergies in our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really liked the food here,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I really liked the food here, especially the sambussa platter. The beef dish I ordered tasted really good, but I ordered it spicy and it wasn't spicy at all. However, all the food as a whole was really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem!AmyjazzsingerDined on 3/29/2014We had never had Ethiopian cuisine and from the moment we entered, they were beyond generous and helpful, despite it being a busy Saturday night. We enjoyed the Spinach Sambussa (spelling?) and Lentil Sambussa for appetizers. They were accompanied by this amazing sweet/spicy sauce. You could tell they were made with love. For our entrees, we shared 6 entrees, including 3 vegetarian options and 3 meat options: -Split pea -Lentils (spicy and delicious) -Collard Greens -Beef tenderloin -Lamb -Beef stew Everything was so wonderful. Our server was "Edam" (I am sorry I don't recall the spelling) but she was AMAZING!!! I cannot recommend this place enough. I would give it 10 stars if I could and I will DEFINITELY be back. Thank you Demera!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ethiopian in the areaAstaire2Dined on 3/29/2014I have to say Ethiopian food had not been on my list of favorite ethnic food types, but Demera has moved it much closer to the top. Our sever was outstanding. Even thought we had a cramped table by the bar, the sever made it so much fun we barely noticed. Helped us narrow our food choices and his recommendations were spot on. Food was well prepared and enjoyable. Recommend it and looking forward to being back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!MaxFDined on 3/29/2014This was my first experience with Ethiopian food and it was amazing! For such amazing food, this place is reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family reunion!fmnpdxDined on 3/28/2014I was in town and picked this spot for a dinner for 12 - my brothers and sisters and assorted spouses/ kids. The service was spot on -- just enough but not intrusive. The food was very good -- we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great locationmalathionDined on 3/27/2014My wife and I needed a place to eat before seeing a show at a nearby theater. We found Demera online and decided to try it. Very happy we did. We got the vegetarian sampler plate (I forget the Ethiopian name for it, sorry) and it was very good. The spicy dishes were quite spicy, so take that into account when ordering. I could have used a little more frequent water glass refills, and the potato chunks in the potato dishes were a little large to eat with injera, but other than that I really have nothing to complain about. The restaurant is clean and well-lit and the waitstaff were cheerful and helpful. We'll definitely be going back when we are in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-OkayRez1Dined on 3/27/2014Making a reservation was helpful cuz the place was packed when me & my girlfriend arrived. Service was slow but friendly. Our waiter was pretty helpful with the menu & suggestions. We ordered the Appetizer Messob. It was awesome, probably the best part of our meal. For our main course, we ordered the Demera Messob. All the veggie items were good. My girlfriend & I both liked the lamb entree over the chicken & beef. As for the portions, I would say they were decent. We ended up not finishing it all though. The ambiance & the location of Demera is great. I am not sure how busy it gets at other times but if you wanna sample authentic Ethiopian food, give Demera a try. Just go with an open mind, a healthy appetite & enjoy the experience !!! :)Special Features:
- Delicious, affordable Ethiopian!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014Great food, and the price is just right. The 'dejj' honey wine is not to miss, but unfortunately the service is. Our server was very polite and attentive.......when he came to our table. It seemed that he was the only server on shift, for 10-15 tables. Other than that, this was not my first time at the restaurant, and the food never ceases to impress. They also have an ever-improving wine/beer list. Ethiopian done right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK EthiopianjimmVIPDined on 3/19/2014Adequate restaurant. Took 15 minutes to get first drinks. 10 minutes of that was the preparation. Food was as would be expected. Servers were nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now that it's cool...YtovpeDined on 3/15/2014I've been going here for about two years and it was never really busy until it was Michelin rated. Now it's full on the weekends. The food is still great, although some of the waitresses seemed confused when we asked them to tell is what each of our orders were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never go backalkapp17Dined on 3/15/2014We did not enjoy our dining experience. First, there was no one front of house to greet us and check us in until one of the servers came by. After being seated it was 20 minutes of drinking water before the same server came by to apologize. He explained how it wasn't his section but noticed that no one had come by to take care of us. He took our drinks, food order and said he would send the regular server. Our appetizer messob came out and was very good but there were no drinks. The regular server came by and apologized and stated she was confused. The other server had to bring our drinks. I had the Ye Beg Wot which was advertised as spicy. I couldn't taste spice or the lamb because the dish was so drenched in oil. Bad Ethiopian experience.
- Great Place!JessDined on 3/2/2014Demera serves authentic, delicious Ethiopian food. This was a total gem! The food was amazing with fast service, great selection and a good ambiance. I would definitely go back to this restaurant and recommend it to my friends. When you want a delicious night out come to this place to try something different. Great for when you want to experience a whole new cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.