Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
4801 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
AfricanPrice: $30 and under
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.demeraethiopianrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 773-334-8787
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Tigiste Reda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Besides the traditional fare served in our restaurant, we will gladly work with you to include any other dishes you may require. In fact, we recently catered an affair where half the dishes were Ethiopian and the other half were Italian.
- Entertainment: Seyoum Allemseged sings and plays traditional Ethiopian songs on his Krar (a stringed instrument) Friday and Saturday nights during dinner service.
- Cross Street: Lawrence
- Public Transit: We are one block west of the Lawrence Avenue Red Line Stop and directly across the street from two Broadway CTA stops.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a large pay box parking lot behind the restaurant, just west of the red line on Lawrence.
A word from Demera Ethiopian Restaurant
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant offers traditional Ethiopian cuisine in a cozy and casual atmosphere and offers a great selection of African and American beer and homemade Ethiopian honey wine. Our food is prepared using the freshest ingredients, gathered, whenever possible, from local producers. We offer a wide variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes and can accommodate gluten allergies with 24 hour notice. Please, join us for a truly unique dining experience, the best coffee in Chicago and live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Demera Ethiopian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (31)fit for foodies (29)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Best authentic Ethiopian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I've been to several Ethiopian restaurants in the States and this is the closest to the food I used to get in East Africa. Wide selection cooked very authentically and with great service.Special Features:
- Fun, tasty, something differentMrJonesAndMeVIPDined on 10/18/2014Big foodie. Wanted to try a new cuisine. Did a sampler of 6 things plus dessert. Wish the server would have explained what all came out on one platter, and guided how to eat it. Very tasty and will go back, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just amazingBirthdayManDined on 10/3/2014Staff is amazing in caring for their customers. They work hard at respecting vegetarian efforts.Special Features:
- like homemadejosky2753Dined on 9/20/2014I used to have an Ethiopian neighbor who would cook for us Demera's food is very close to homemade. My wife is hesitant to try exotic food she loves it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must try restaurantRudyDined on 9/14/2014This was a first time trying the Ethiopian food and we weren't disappointed. The food was great and the environment was soft friendly. The service we got was also good. I definitely recommend this restaurant to all especially for the vegetarians as they have plenty of options. There is a public parking right behind the restaurant which is very convenient. If you haven't yet tried the Ethiopian food, I suggest this would be a place to get started as they have plenty of verity and different options.Special Features:
- Megha TikooMegtk85Dined on 9/13/2014I was there on Saturday, Aug 13th with friends for dinner. The food choices were great and we liked what we ate. But the service was very slow. It took almost 20-30 mins for our drinks to arrive and then the appetizers. Also with a new concept of Messob platters, your servers should spend the first few minutes educating customers about it. It took us quite a while to figure out what was what on the menu and when we made our selections, the server told us there are only some options that come with particular plattersSpecial Features:
- Great place!!OpenTableVetVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our first foray into Ethiopian food. Waiter was patient and explained everything. I went with my girlfriend, but would be a lot of fun with a large group due to the communal nature of Ethiopian food and the large menu. We both remarked about how bright it was in the restaurant. We thought a little dimming would add to the atmosphere. Still a great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!APisaFOODIEDined on 9/4/2014Demera Ethiopian Restaurant has phenomenal food! We loved the dining experience, the service and the music. The food is fragrant, intoxicating flavors and great for sharing. It was so great on Thurs I was back on Saturday for lunch!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and serviceExcellentDined on 8/31/2014The food here was wonderful. I've not experienced many Ethiopian Restaurants but my taste buds were happy. There were several first timers to this type of food and they enjoyed it and said it was a really good experience to try something different. The service was great. They were calm, friendly and efficient. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun surpriseFfpedVIPDined on 8/15/2014What a new and fun experience! Very much enjoyed the flavors, colors and adventure in eating Ethiopian food! Thanks for a great experience and looking forward to next time.Special Features:
- Excellent food, subdued atmosphereHenthomaDined on 8/11/2014First off, the food was fantastic. The selection of tsebhi was broad enough that you could vary the experience (plenty of veggie options, but also lamb, chicken, shrimp, and fish) but small enough that sampling 6 of them - the combo dishes seemed like the only real way to go - felt like it covered all the bases. The waitstaff was friendly, and seemed more than happy to (at our request) hold our hand through the ordering process (and ultimately pick our tsebhi for us). It was great. The place did seem slightly understaffed for the size, though. The only real downside was the atmosphere. Between it's spartan layout and filling fare, Demera felt like a better choice for a hearty lunch than as a jumping off point for a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intro to etheopianDiamondrahDined on 8/8/2014First time for etheopian food. The server was knowledgeable and helped us order. The food was great. Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeeatsalotoffoodDined on 8/2/2014Fantastic food with a fun experience. I went with my girlfriend for her birthday and neither of us had eaten Ethiopian food before, we both loved it and it was fun to eat messob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2essenceVIPDined on 8/1/2014Such a nice place! The food was prepared beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingluv2dineDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food and great service! I've been here a few times and always left satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good!Sara312Dined on 7/25/2014As an Ethiopian, I can recall my mother cooking all day for a meal. Demera did not disappoint! Their sambusas are delicious (heads up, they split each one in two) and the meal was great. Definitely will go again!Special Features:
- Always AmazingHNB1981Dined on 7/21/2014I went to Demera for the first time in many years with a friend who was visiting from out of town but also had a love for traditional Ethiopian food just as I do. The menu is easy-to-navigate and does very well in explaining the dishes, which is good for the patron who is new to Ethiopian cuisine. The food was delicious. We ordered mossab so there were a ton of leftovers, which were just as good the next day for lunch! The service was prompt and professional and friendly, as it always is. I cannot wait to return in the very near future; I wish I still lived in the city so I could go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No sour bread for you!MikeDined on 7/11/2014Not everyone has a taste for their sour bread, so Demera offers another bread that is not sour. But they didn't have any on the Friday night we went back. No excuses management! A restaurant of your caliber should not run out of anything.
- I love this placeChicagoDPDined on 6/27/2014The food here is out of this world! I can't get enough!!Special Features:
- My Dinner Experience2tastyand8greatDined on 6/27/2014Everything, from the service to the food, was amazing. The waiter knew the different kinds and taste's of the food to help guide me in choosing what I would like. When the food did arrive, they explained what everything was and constantly made sure our food was good, the drinks were filled, and we were having the best experience possible. I love eating here and will continue to go.Special Features:
- The following 426 reviews are from the Demera Ethiopian Restaurant reviews archive.
- We'll be backMikeDined on 6/21/2014Just moved into the city. Expliring new restaurants. This one is a keeper! Sour bread not to my liking. You can request regular bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiggymigsDined on 6/7/2014Everything was great food wise… but felt that our waiter was rushing us. The hostess asked if we wanted deserts and 10 mins later the waiter just handed us our bill. Like you are done and THANK YOU!Special Features:
- I can't find a standardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2014Overall I don't know if Demera's food is to be blamed for a review stating the experience is mediocre. Maybe the food is sticking to its vision and I won't blame a restaurant for that. It didn't compliment my tastes however. The bread was extremely sour, sour to the point where it overpowered everything we ate with it. The dessert was just puffed up pastry with no notable flavors except the raspberry sauce it was smothered in. Even that was "meh". The sambusa was pretty good though. The service...a server does not need to be nice nor do I care if they are but they do need to come and take the order in a timely matter and at least refill my water when it is empty. Maybe the lack of both is just how it goes. I don't take it personally.Special Features:
- Pleasant dining experienceluianneDined on 5/31/2014The food was tasty and prepared at the level of spiceness noted. It would have been helpful for the waitperson to ask if we had been to an Ethiopian Restaurant before (once quite a while ago) and then explain the tradition. It was not bad nor great. Would go back but not necessarily seek out.Special Features:
- Ethiopian gemeatingwellchicagoDined on 5/23/2014had a great birthday lunch with my family. Food is interesting, delicious and served in a way that makes a lunch a lovely communal experience.Attentive but non-intrusive service from Ethiopian servers - perhaps family to the owners. Easy to get to as well. We will come back often to this Uptown Chicago gem.Special Features:
- Amazing food!SouthLoopMomDined on 5/11/2014I've been coming to Demera since they opened and they have never disappointed. They're food is delicious and keeps on improving each time I've been there. It is the best of all the Ethiopian restaurants I've tried and also one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago of any kind.Special Features:
- GREAT EthiopianvnesDined on 5/3/2014I would rate Demera as one of the best in the city for Ethiopian. Their samboosas are the best and also try to Tej honey wine. Overall a great dining experience for close friends and families. Very child friendly and they get to eat with their hands.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/26/2014Always a delicious dining experience at Demera. We enjoyed a quick meal before a show, and the prompt and courteous staff was able to get us in and out quick, while we still enjoyed our wine and conversation.Special Features:
- Cheers1114Dined on 4/26/2014Food was great, waitstaff was pleasant. They even have Ethiopian tiramisu which was better than some Italian restaurants. KUDOS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & FunBrunchFanDined on 4/25/2014The restaurant offers many great sampler patterns that will make carnivores, omnivores, and vegetarians happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous different & funBossypantsVIPDined on 4/24/2014Yummy and fun. Servers generous with explanations and sampling. Different and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great holiday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2014We decided to take it easy this Easter holiday by having dinner out instead cooking a big meal at home. Earlier in the week our 12 year old demanded when my wife and i planned a date night that she approved of us going anywhere without here except Demera. So we decided for Easter this was the place to go. We. Ould not decide among the great selection of dishes so We ordered the Chief's selection and it was fantastic with lamb,fish, chicken &beef plus lentils. Chickpeas, greens , and salad. All were fresh and wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysAdventurousEaterDined on 4/18/2014I've been to Demera a few times, each time with a different size group. They are excellent at accommodating specific menu requests-- we ordered the family style platter for 5 (there was enough for at least 6!) but asked to substitute more vegetarian options for the seafood options, and there was no problem there. This time I had the bourbon/shai tea cocktail, it is DELICIOUS. We are doing our rehearsal dinner here, they have a great large group menu which includes salads and desserts for everyone. Service is always very friendly. It was packed in here at 6pm on a Friday, always a good sign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Food ExperienceHannahGDined on 4/13/2014There is no silverware in this restaurant, but the communal dining is a great group experience with flavors I haven't tasted elsewhere. The setting was nice and the patronage was a diverse net of people who seemed to also be having a good time. The place is definitely a finer dining place. The portions are large, so don't be surprised if you don't finish it. You will have a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, casual atmospheredineoutDined on 4/12/2014Demera is one of our 'go-to' neighborhood restaurants - excellent food, lively atmosphere. Their vegetarian menu is extensive - so there is something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GF friendlyBulldogladiesDined on 4/10/2014Very accommodating of the food allergies in our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really liked the food here,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I really liked the food here, especially the sambussa platter. The beef dish I ordered tasted really good, but I ordered it spicy and it wasn't spicy at all. However, all the food as a whole was really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem!AmyjazzsingerDined on 3/29/2014We had never had Ethiopian cuisine and from the moment we entered, they were beyond generous and helpful, despite it being a busy Saturday night. We enjoyed the Spinach Sambussa (spelling?) and Lentil Sambussa for appetizers. They were accompanied by this amazing sweet/spicy sauce. You could tell they were made with love. For our entrees, we shared 6 entrees, including 3 vegetarian options and 3 meat options: -Split pea -Lentils (spicy and delicious) -Collard Greens -Beef tenderloin -Lamb -Beef stew Everything was so wonderful. Our server was "Edam" (I am sorry I don't recall the spelling) but she was AMAZING!!! I cannot recommend this place enough. I would give it 10 stars if I could and I will DEFINITELY be back. Thank you Demera!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ethiopian in the areaAstaire2Dined on 3/29/2014I have to say Ethiopian food had not been on my list of favorite ethnic food types, but Demera has moved it much closer to the top. Our sever was outstanding. Even thought we had a cramped table by the bar, the sever made it so much fun we barely noticed. Helped us narrow our food choices and his recommendations were spot on. Food was well prepared and enjoyable. Recommend it and looking forward to being back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!MaxFDined on 3/29/2014This was my first experience with Ethiopian food and it was amazing! For such amazing food, this place is reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.