38 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dellanima.com/
- Phone: 2123666633x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday 5:30pm - 2:00am, Saturday 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm -12:00am, Monday 5:30pm - 12:00am
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 5:30pm, Saturday 3:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday 3:00pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from dell'anima
dell'anima means "of the soul" in Italian and the food features hearty, eloquent dishes of thoughtful simplicity. Our menu offerings change daily, and we use local, seasonal, sustainably harvested produce where possible. Our menu features a selection of pastas made in-house daily, traditional dishes rarely found outside of Italy, and Italian-inspired creations that are of Thompson's own invention. Our wine list features an array of small production, high-quality selections with an emphasis on traditional and natural winemaking. Over 200 hand-chosen wines are selected for flavor, uniqueness and tradition. dell'anima is open weekend brunch 11:00am to 3:00pm and dinner Tuesday through Friday from 5:30 pm until 2:00 am, Saturday 5:00pm to 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm to 12am and Monday 5:30pm to 12am. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, dell'anima offers aperitivo from 4 pm - 6 pm. Reservations are recommended but we accept many walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
dell'anima - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
dell'anima reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (72)romantic (45)special occasion (41)notable wine list (32)hot spot (30)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food and atmosphereAnnieDined on 9/24/2014This is the second time I've been to dell'anima and once again it did not fail to impress. The good is delicous. Simple Italian with wonderful flavors. I look forward to continue going back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!food4meDined on 9/20/20144 of us went. We ordered various pasta's, appetizers, entrees, 2 bottles of wine, and one dessert to share. We shared all the dishes. Everything was incredibly delicious and gourmet. The wait staff was excellent. Attentive,helpful and not over bearing. I would recommend this restaurant whole heartedly.Special Features:
- AlmostVenice40Dined on 9/9/2014Good food - unbearably noisy which will prevent us ever to returnSpecial Features:
- Definitely RecommendbmcdermotttVIPDined on 9/8/2014This place is an absolute must, especially if you're into Italian food. I had the Charred Octopus, Tagliatelle alla Bolognese, and Pollo al Diavolo. I would recommend any of these dishes in a heartbeat, especially the Tagliatelle. The ingredients were all so fresh and packed some really amazing flavor. Also, the wine list is rather impressive. Perfect spot for a date or special occasion, very friendly staff, and all around a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbrunognDined on 9/7/2014I never wrote a restaurant review before but the amount of black pepper in my gnocchi was just outrageous. It was more like Sbarro's than "high end Italian". There should be an "Authentic Italian Food Association" to shut down places like this!Special Features:
- One of my fave'sLauragDined on 9/7/2014I love this place. It's been one of my neighborhood favorites for years. Food, wine, and ambiance are excellent. Small space, so make a reservation! Excellent homemade pastas.Special Features:
- Great italianWillajaneVIPDined on 9/7/2014Chaotic and noisy but great food Rustic, simple and creativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Started off with assortment of the bruschetta dips; wonderful with wine. Beets salad was refreshing and dressed properly. Try the Carbonara, it was made to perfection. The Branzino cartuccio was probably the best prepared and tasting fish I had in a long time. Service was attentive and plates and silverware changed with new course. Small place so book in advance.Special Features:
- peachyss16VIPDined on 8/29/2014I always love going to this restaurant. The menu is always changing with the season and what is available; a sign of a great chef. I love that you can sit and watch the food being prepared in the open kitchen environment. Super friendly staff and an all-around amazing experience.Special Features:
- Favorite and Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014I always order the same thing but dine with other who order other things to taste. We always love what we ordered while also wishing we'd ordered what someone else got -- it's all that consistently good. Delicious, fresh, ideal food and fun setting whether inside or outside in the back. It has a great downtown NYC vibe. I am always looking for an excuse to return.Special Features:
- Great dinnner!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014You know a restaurant is great when the most simple dish is one of the best (bucatini). Also loved the other pastas, and the fish. Will return to try new items and enjoy our favorites again!Special Features:
- Poor service, good wineCPBPDined on 8/5/2014Service not really up to scratch in my view, but fortunately the food, wine and ambiance (and our company for the evening) were all excellent.Special Features:
- dee--lish!suzieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Incredibly different and beautifully prepared dishes. Always ether than great. Noisy, but food trumps it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightwendyweDined on 7/26/2014My peekytoe crab and avocado was a superb marriage of flavours; his carbonara was delicious and light being made with egg rather than cream; the espresso-rum almond cake, not especially espresso or rum flavoured but totally yummy. We sat outside which was perfect for a romantic evening. I suspect it is quite noisy inside. The waitperson was so warm and positive and well informed about both the food and the wine that she really added to the evening.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Every dish is a winner. Homemade pasta melts in your mouth. Seafood seasoned wonderfully. Love this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!neighborVIPDined on 7/11/2014We love dell'anima for brunch and/or dinner. The food and service both are outstanding. Sitting outside on a summer night at this charming west village restaurant feels like being on vacation!Special Features:
- Casual noisy neighbourhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014Small , cozy, noisy but very pleasant ambience. Food is very good, modern, light Italian.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014My husband were in NYC for our anniversary and a colleague of mine recommended dell'anima. We had a reservation but the tables were running a little behind. The hostesses and the manager were very attentive during the delay and we were able to have a drink at the bar while we waited. The manager continued to make our experience more enjoyable. He offered help selecting a wine and offered feedback on menu items. The staff did not linger unnecessarily yet our water glasses were never empty. The courses were served with nice time in between each. Our favorite dish was the bone marrow followed by the Insalate Endive. Nice work dell'anima and Robert Nieporent. Thank you.Special Features:
- Will be back!FrenchfryloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Thanks to Robert and his warm, talented staff for spoiling us last night. We had the pleasure of sitting at the kitchen bar. This group works well together to create delicious, fresh, hot food that moves immediately out of the oven or stove to your table. Handmade pasta, fish, quail, crusty but juicy chicken, other meat selections were all on the menu. Start with the house made ricotta spread and end with the dessert that includes sea salt caramel ice cream. Anything you choose for the in between will be a treat. We were particular to the Bronzino and the penne pasta made with chanterelle mushrooms. This is a neighborhood gem with great energy. We were treated to a celebrity spotting. She is one smart actor choosing to eat at Dell'Anima!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was extremely good, service excellent, all at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE bestgreatscott23VIPDined on 6/27/2014Love the open kitchen and love the food....the waitstaff and managerial people are also spectacular. All around amazing restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent!!!NortheasterlyDined on 6/26/2014Great experience - fish was amazing and the sides were really lovely. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 6/25/2014food was good but it was too loud felt like a pub sceneSpecial Features:
- Excellent!AmazingDined on 6/23/2014Food, ambiance, service etc were all excellent. So glad I finally got a reservation!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Food and service were excellent. Great bruschetti spreads, excellent arugula salad, tajarin alla carbonara, bolognese, and pork chop were all great. Super helpful and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So NiceChrisVIPDined on 6/22/2014Had brunch with a friend on a Sunday. We sat outside (which is actually around the corner) and had fantastic service and tasty food. Be aware, you won't get a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa until noon on a Sunday.Special Features:
- Go-To Spot for Myself and Visitors!LaniDined on 6/21/2014I love this restaurant!! I have only been for brunch so far (at least 5 times) and each time I love the food more than I remembered. The ricotta spread and toasted bread that comes complimentary is such a treat, and all of the dishes are amazing. So far my favorites are the Uova Fungi, Dell'Anima Scramble, and Uova in Purgatorio. So good. The bloody marys are both delicious as well! I love coming to dine with friends, family, or alone-- The bar is great for solo dining and catching up on some reading, and the servers are all incredibly friendly -- Bella is my favorite :)Special Features:
- Upscale ItalianNYCFoodDined on 6/17/2014I liked this place; it was recommended to me by a friend. The quail appetizer was excellent and I got a dish with chicken ragu. I never order anything chicken, but this called to me. And was delicious. I wouldn't say that advertised "garden" is a garden, it's just street tables, but it's a nice way to spend an evening outside with great food, wine and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion spotfinediner123VIPDined on 6/15/2014Food was incredible. Had the charred octopus, which was cooked to perfection and not chewy. The hamachi was super fresh. The risotto was melt in your mouth and the branzino was in an orange citrus sauce that we couldn't get enough of. Would definitely go back and recommend for a romantic date spot.Special Features:
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great food. Lots of unusual choices. Chicken diablo was great as well as the fish with raisins nuts etc. wonderful service. Good recommendation from our server Bella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains Our Fave NYC RestaurantNYCFANVIPDined on 6/15/2014In our opinion you can't find a better meal in NYC. We usually sit at the chef's counter but the weather was glorious on Sunday so we sat outside. The peekytoe crab salad was exceptional with the crunch of the pistachio and the gentle heat from the jalapeno. The striped bass tartar was also a fantastic explosion of flavors. Main courses were chicken and bucatini arrabbiate.....DELICIOUS!! Thanks Chef Andrew!! See you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Place was packed but we had no trouble getting seated as we had a reservation. Food was great but it was noisy. Went on a recommendation of a friend. I enjoyed the experience overall and will b back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumareliDined on 6/14/2014Andrew is innovative and passionate about his cooking. We love watching the talented crew from the "chef's counter" and enjoy every meal here!
- Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014Dell'anima is a must try in my opinion...the food is fresh and delicious every time, and the service is attentive and friendly. The crostini spreads are a nice starter with fresh, crispy bread. The pastas are mostly made in house...definitely try the bucatini or the tagliatelle. For entrees, I think the bronzino is the top choice.Special Features:
- Awesome mealKLeeDined on 6/3/2014Had dinner at Dell'anima for my fiances birthday. We got there early so our table was not ready yet, but there were two seats at the kitchen bar. We opted to take those seats and were extremely happy that we did. Getting to watch Chef Andrew and his incredible team work their magic in the kitchen was an unexpected delight. We already had unlimited respect for the work that chefs do in the kitchen, but this experience only helped to further and affirm. Service was wonderful. We shared bruschette,a primi, a secondi and a side. Orecchiette, cauliflower and hanger steak were delicious. It is a rare occurrence these days that I'm still thinking about a meal two days later, but this is one of those times. Do yourself a favor and check it out!Special Features:
- Good, but wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/2/2014Food: I was really excited about dell'anima because both of the sister restaurants (L'Apicio and L'Artusi) were incredible. The food was okay but nowhere near as good as at the other two and many of our dishes were over-seasoned. Service: My only real complaint is that I had asked for a dessert to be brought out as a surprise (it was my boyfriend's birthday) and made note of it in the reservation and confirmed when I arrived at the restaurant, but when we finished our meal they didn't remember. Otherwise, waitstaff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- The following 613 reviews are from the dell'anima reviews archive.
- Great food, friendly staffeatsoutalotVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food brought us back this time. It lived up to our memories. Wonderful seasonal fiddleheads and ramp dishes. The server and kitchen were very accomodating to special requests. And the manager was friendly, helpful and so personable. We'll come back next time because of him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Very MuchbobfVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great for a special occasion. Unique and tasty dishes. Extensive Italian wine list. Good and friendly service.Special Features:
- they've gotten ruderbeneDined on 5/18/2014i love the food here, everyone i've ever taken here wants to, and does, go back. i've been here 4-6 x's over the span of about 3 years. they hostesses, bartenders and wait staff used to be so nice and normal. this most recent time, they were mildly snotty and rude, even over the phone when they called to confirm the reservation. its why i took 1 star off. i hope the food doesn't go this waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Dell'animanyeater123Dined on 5/16/2014Overall the food was excellent - the Bone Marrow, Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese, Charred Ramps (hen of woods mushrooms) Wild Striped Bass are must tries for first timers. The Risotto alla Pilota was also good but on the saltier side. Great ambiance for dates or special treat with friends/family. Our particular server was not very good but the head chef and other staff were very friendly. Try getting a spot at the counter and watch the chef whip out some amazing dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.