38 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dellanima.com/
- Phone: 2123666633x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday 5:30pm - 2:00am, Saturday 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm -12:00am, Monday 5:30pm - 12:00am
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 5:30pm, Saturday 3:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday 3:00pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from dell'anima
dell'anima means "of the soul" in Italian and the food features hearty, eloquent dishes of thoughtful simplicity. Our menu offerings change daily, and we use local, seasonal, sustainably harvested produce where possible. Our menu features a selection of pastas made in-house daily, traditional dishes rarely found outside of Italy, and Italian-inspired creations that are of Thompson's own invention. Our wine list features an array of small production, high-quality selections with an emphasis on traditional and natural winemaking. Over 200 hand-chosen wines are selected for flavor, uniqueness and tradition. dell'anima is open weekend brunch 11:00am to 3:00pm and dinner Tuesday through Friday from 5:30 pm until 2:00 am, Saturday 5:00pm to 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm to 12am and Monday 5:30pm to 12am. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, dell'anima offers aperitivo from 4 pm - 6 pm. Reservations are recommended but we accept many walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
dell'anima reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)fit for foodies (66)romantic (41)special occasion (39)notable wine list (30)hot spot (23)late-night find (15)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Started off with assortment of the bruschetta dips; wonderful with wine. Beets salad was refreshing and dressed properly. Try the Carbonara, it was made to perfection. The Branzino cartuccio was probably the best prepared and tasting fish I had in a long time. Service was attentive and plates and silverware changed with new course. Small place so book in advance.Special Features:
- Favorite and Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014I always order the same thing but dine with other who order other things to taste. We always love what we ordered while also wishing we'd ordered what someone else got -- it's all that consistently good. Delicious, fresh, ideal food and fun setting whether inside or outside in the back. It has a great downtown NYC vibe. I am always looking for an excuse to return.Special Features:
- Great dinnner!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2014You know a restaurant is great when the most simple dish is one of the best (bucatini). Also loved the other pastas, and the fish. Will return to try new items and enjoy our favorites again!Special Features:
- Poor service, good wineCPBPDined on 8/5/2014Service not really up to scratch in my view, but fortunately the food, wine and ambiance (and our company for the evening) were all excellent.Special Features:
- dee--lish!suzieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Incredibly different and beautifully prepared dishes. Always ether than great. Noisy, but food trumps it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightwendyweDined on 7/26/2014My peekytoe crab and avocado was a superb marriage of flavours; his carbonara was delicious and light being made with egg rather than cream; the espresso-rum almond cake, not especially espresso or rum flavoured but totally yummy. We sat outside which was perfect for a romantic evening. I suspect it is quite noisy inside. The waitperson was so warm and positive and well informed about both the food and the wine that she really added to the evening.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Every dish is a winner. Homemade pasta melts in your mouth. Seafood seasoned wonderfully. Love this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!neighborVIPDined on 7/11/2014We love dell'anima for brunch and/or dinner. The food and service both are outstanding. Sitting outside on a summer night at this charming west village restaurant feels like being on vacation!Special Features:
- Casual noisy neighbourhood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/6/2014Small , cozy, noisy but very pleasant ambience. Food is very good, modern, light Italian.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014My husband were in NYC for our anniversary and a colleague of mine recommended dell'anima. We had a reservation but the tables were running a little behind. The hostesses and the manager were very attentive during the delay and we were able to have a drink at the bar while we waited. The manager continued to make our experience more enjoyable. He offered help selecting a wine and offered feedback on menu items. The staff did not linger unnecessarily yet our water glasses were never empty. The courses were served with nice time in between each. Our favorite dish was the bone marrow followed by the Insalate Endive. Nice work dell'anima and Robert Nieporent. Thank you.Special Features:
- Will be back!FrenchfryloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Thanks to Robert and his warm, talented staff for spoiling us last night. We had the pleasure of sitting at the kitchen bar. This group works well together to create delicious, fresh, hot food that moves immediately out of the oven or stove to your table. Handmade pasta, fish, quail, crusty but juicy chicken, other meat selections were all on the menu. Start with the house made ricotta spread and end with the dessert that includes sea salt caramel ice cream. Anything you choose for the in between will be a treat. We were particular to the Bronzino and the penne pasta made with chanterelle mushrooms. This is a neighborhood gem with great energy. We were treated to a celebrity spotting. She is one smart actor choosing to eat at Dell'Anima!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was extremely good, service excellent, all at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE bestgreatscott23VIPDined on 6/27/2014Love the open kitchen and love the food....the waitstaff and managerial people are also spectacular. All around amazing restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent!!!NortheasterlyDined on 6/26/2014Great experience - fish was amazing and the sides were really lovely. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 6/25/2014food was good but it was too loud felt like a pub sceneSpecial Features:
- Excellent!AmazingDined on 6/23/2014Food, ambiance, service etc were all excellent. So glad I finally got a reservation!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Food and service were excellent. Great bruschetti spreads, excellent arugula salad, tajarin alla carbonara, bolognese, and pork chop were all great. Super helpful and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So NiceChrisVIPDined on 6/22/2014Had brunch with a friend on a Sunday. We sat outside (which is actually around the corner) and had fantastic service and tasty food. Be aware, you won't get a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa until noon on a Sunday.Special Features:
- Go-To Spot for Myself and Visitors!LaniDined on 6/21/2014I love this restaurant!! I have only been for brunch so far (at least 5 times) and each time I love the food more than I remembered. The ricotta spread and toasted bread that comes complimentary is such a treat, and all of the dishes are amazing. So far my favorites are the Uova Fungi, Dell'Anima Scramble, and Uova in Purgatorio. So good. The bloody marys are both delicious as well! I love coming to dine with friends, family, or alone-- The bar is great for solo dining and catching up on some reading, and the servers are all incredibly friendly -- Bella is my favorite :)Special Features:
- Upscale ItalianNYCFoodDined on 6/17/2014I liked this place; it was recommended to me by a friend. The quail appetizer was excellent and I got a dish with chicken ragu. I never order anything chicken, but this called to me. And was delicious. I wouldn't say that advertised "garden" is a garden, it's just street tables, but it's a nice way to spend an evening outside with great food, wine and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great special occasion spotfinediner123VIPDined on 6/15/2014Food was incredible. Had the charred octopus, which was cooked to perfection and not chewy. The hamachi was super fresh. The risotto was melt in your mouth and the branzino was in an orange citrus sauce that we couldn't get enough of. Would definitely go back and recommend for a romantic date spot.Special Features:
- TellieEllieTellieEllieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Great food. Lots of unusual choices. Chicken diablo was great as well as the fish with raisins nuts etc. wonderful service. Good recommendation from our server Bella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remains Our Fave NYC RestaurantNYCFANVIPDined on 6/15/2014In our opinion you can't find a better meal in NYC. We usually sit at the chef's counter but the weather was glorious on Sunday so we sat outside. The peekytoe crab salad was exceptional with the crunch of the pistachio and the gentle heat from the jalapeno. The striped bass tartar was also a fantastic explosion of flavors. Main courses were chicken and bucatini arrabbiate.....DELICIOUS!! Thanks Chef Andrew!! See you soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Place was packed but we had no trouble getting seated as we had a reservation. Food was great but it was noisy. Went on a recommendation of a friend. I enjoyed the experience overall and will b back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PumareliDined on 6/14/2014Andrew is innovative and passionate about his cooking. We love watching the talented crew from the "chef's counter" and enjoy every meal here!
- Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014Dell'anima is a must try in my opinion...the food is fresh and delicious every time, and the service is attentive and friendly. The crostini spreads are a nice starter with fresh, crispy bread. The pastas are mostly made in house...definitely try the bucatini or the tagliatelle. For entrees, I think the bronzino is the top choice.Special Features:
- Awesome mealKLeeDined on 6/3/2014Had dinner at Dell'anima for my fiances birthday. We got there early so our table was not ready yet, but there were two seats at the kitchen bar. We opted to take those seats and were extremely happy that we did. Getting to watch Chef Andrew and his incredible team work their magic in the kitchen was an unexpected delight. We already had unlimited respect for the work that chefs do in the kitchen, but this experience only helped to further and affirm. Service was wonderful. We shared bruschette,a primi, a secondi and a side. Orecchiette, cauliflower and hanger steak were delicious. It is a rare occurrence these days that I'm still thinking about a meal two days later, but this is one of those times. Do yourself a favor and check it out!Special Features:
- Good, but wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/2/2014Food: I was really excited about dell'anima because both of the sister restaurants (L'Apicio and L'Artusi) were incredible. The food was okay but nowhere near as good as at the other two and many of our dishes were over-seasoned. Service: My only real complaint is that I had asked for a dessert to be brought out as a surprise (it was my boyfriend's birthday) and made note of it in the reservation and confirmed when I arrived at the restaurant, but when we finished our meal they didn't remember. Otherwise, waitstaff was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Great food, friendly staffeatsoutalotVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food brought us back this time. It lived up to our memories. Wonderful seasonal fiddleheads and ramp dishes. The server and kitchen were very accomodating to special requests. And the manager was friendly, helpful and so personable. We'll come back next time because of him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Very MuchbobfVIPDined on 5/19/2014Great for a special occasion. Unique and tasty dishes. Extensive Italian wine list. Good and friendly service.Special Features:
- they've gotten ruderbeneDined on 5/18/2014i love the food here, everyone i've ever taken here wants to, and does, go back. i've been here 4-6 x's over the span of about 3 years. they hostesses, bartenders and wait staff used to be so nice and normal. this most recent time, they were mildly snotty and rude, even over the phone when they called to confirm the reservation. its why i took 1 star off. i hope the food doesn't go this waySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Dell'animanyeater123Dined on 5/16/2014Overall the food was excellent - the Bone Marrow, Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese, Charred Ramps (hen of woods mushrooms) Wild Striped Bass are must tries for first timers. The Risotto alla Pilota was also good but on the saltier side. Great ambiance for dates or special treat with friends/family. Our particular server was not very good but the head chef and other staff were very friendly. Try getting a spot at the counter and watch the chef whip out some amazing dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Food; Fun AtmosphereCityishGirlDined on 5/6/2014The food was out of this world. We had three Bruschette, the Risotto and the Gnocchi. Not being from the city, I was a little worried at the portion size of the Gnocchi for $27 but it was definitely more than enough. The mushrooms I believe were in season which made it extra special. LOVED this place! It's small and intimate but the music playing wasn't romantic, more fun. I would suggest going here for maybe a nice girls night out or a fun date night. It was nice but maybe not as quiet and romantic as I was anticipating. Regardless, I absolutely loved this place!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 608 reviews are from the dell'anima reviews archive.
- FabulousVIPDined on 5/3/2014The food was good, a bit salty for my taste. Cute space but very tight seating and it got very loud! Well priced.Special Features:
- Unbearable SmellMMBBVIPDined on 4/27/2014It is such a shame that, great food but due to poor ventilation system you end up smelling like the food that you eat. When I pointed out to the manager, he apologized and told me that he had removed the drinks that we never had from our bill...what a joke. LOL. It was supposed to be a great Sunday brunch since I had been there before but ended up being not so great. Not planning on going back.Special Features:
- Great food and pleasant for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014The large windows let in the early spring sun on a Saturday morning and the entire experience was great. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- BeachBumDined on 4/19/2014Great spot for date night. Plenty of delicious entrees to split with your significant other while sharing a bottle of red.Special Features:
- TomCVIPDined on 4/19/2014Always so good this small charming restaurant. Pasta dishes are exceptional (and will be made without butter if you request) but apps and entrees are also well done. Great energy in the restaurant and such a beautiful neighborhood.Special Features:
- UWS02Dined on 4/18/2014I took a friend here for a birthday dinner and it was great. We started off sharing the butter lettuce salad. It was a little small, but very light and delicious. My friend had the gnocchi and I had the chicken. I usually don't get chicken in an Italian restaurant, but the waiter recommended it and I was glad I listened. The gnocchi was incredibly fresh but we both agreed and liked the chicken better. If Tony the bartender is there, say hi, he's awesome.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014Food and Service is great! The noise level is very high and often makes chatting a challenge. Ask for quiet space if possible and go at more off hours.I would recommend this to a friend.