38 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dellanima.com/
- Phone: (212) 366-6633
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday 5:30pm - 2:00am, Saturday 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm -12:00am, Monday 5:30pm - 12:00am
Bar Menu: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 5:30pm, Saturday 3:00pm - 5:00pm, Sunday 3:00pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Gabe Thompson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from dell'anima
dell'anima means "of the soul" in Italian and the food features hearty, eloquent dishes of thoughtful simplicity. Our menu offerings change daily, and we use local, seasonal, sustainably harvested produce where possible. Our menu features a selection of pastas made in-house daily, traditional dishes rarely found outside of Italy, and Italian-inspired creations that are of Thompson's own invention. Our wine list features an array of small production, high-quality selections with an emphasis on traditional and natural winemaking. Over 200 hand-chosen wines are selected for flavor, uniqueness and tradition. dell'anima is open weekend brunch 11:00am to 3:00pm and dinner Tuesday through Friday from 5:30 pm until 2:00 am, Saturday 5:00pm to 2:00am, Sunday 5:00pm to 12am and Monday 5:30pm to 12am. On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, dell'anima offers aperitivo from 4 pm - 6 pm. Reservations are recommended but we accept many walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
dell'anima reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (74)romantic (44)special occasion (39)hot spot (36)notable wine list (36)great for brunch (15)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- great place!mdmirskyDined on 11/16/2014had a great meal here Staruday night with my wife. everything was delicious but in particular the house made fresh pastas were off the charts good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful place - always reliableWVneighborDined on 11/15/2014Food was great, and service was charming! A wonderful spot for a cozy dinner with friends or a romantic dinner - any occasion works. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharDined on 11/8/2014This meal was delicious from start to fishish. Bruschetta w/ricotta cheese was my favorite dish, which says a lot because everything was so good.Special Features:
- Loved ItLtrainDined on 11/8/2014We sat at a high top by the open kitchen. Loved all the action and everything was great, the wine list the staff and the food. We are Italian and know great food and everything we had was great. It is noisy and a little tight depending on where you sit but our family likes that so we had fun. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dell'anima was Wonderful!LadydalVIPDined on 10/25/2014We wanted a new restaurant to try in NYC so went here on the advice of a friend. We gave up our reserved table for a place at the "cooks bar" so that we could watch the preparation of meals. So happy we did. It was facinating and we tried more than we normally would since we could see it being prepared! The waitress was very knowledgeable and helped in our selection. We shared two appetizer size pasta's and had the chicken, which is one of the house specialties. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Our #1 NYC FavoriteNYCFANVIPDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I have been coming here since it opened. It is by far our favorite in the city and we frequent many places. The menu changes fairly frequently and is always great. The manager and staff are fantastic, always makes us fell welcome. This past weekend white truffles were on the menu and the pasta was excellent. Also a must is the short ribs and polenta, absolutely incredible!! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerBrittVIPDined on 10/18/2014Couldn't have been happier that I got a reservation at Dell'A for our 2nd anniversary. The food was fantastic, notably the octopuss and boar ragu. Tight space, high noise level, but fitting considering everyone is so enthralled with the food, tasteful dining room with 2 bars, great service, overall solid spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JonnyJonnyDined on 10/11/2014Excellent ! Recommended by a friend and now I have recommended this restaurant to about a dozen people this week. Pasta closest to eating in Italy !!! Impeccable service and great ambiance. Finished off 2 great pasta dishes with a heavenly chocolate tart with hazelnut ice creamSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceLbrasinDined on 10/10/2014We had dinner here before going to see a Broadway show. I didn't feel overdressed in my black dress, but you could wear jeans, too. The service was good and the waiter very helpful. We had the arrabiatta pasta and the branzino and they were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below average across the boardTravelerVIPDined on 10/9/2014We had been wanting to try Dell'Anima for some time, and finally did so last week. Unfortunately we were unimpressed and will not return. Every aspect of the dining experience there - from atmosphere, to service and food - was off the mark. The space was aesthetically bland, as well as loud and cramped. The service was rushed, unpolished, and impersonal. Oh, and don't bother with any special dietary requests. The food itself was forgettable, not even adequately seasoned. For the same price point you can and will find better and more flavorful food, Italian or not, elsewhere in the West Village, not to mention a better overall dining experience.
- Great spotsjb1VIPDined on 10/7/2014Love this place. I always try to eat at the chef's table where they cook right in front of you. Food is always delicious and staff is always great. I have been many times.Special Features:
- Memorable eveningnyciteDined on 10/3/2014Try the fish and the tagliatelle. Lively atmosphere which encourages conversing close and gives you privacy in a bustling restaurant full of people. Recommended.Special Features:
- Still a Bit to LearnTOFoodieDined on 10/3/2014Service was friendly, prompt and courteous. Good was a hit and miss. First pasta ordered was bland and not spicy as it should have been. They replaced it with a better one. Portions small. No offer of compensation, free dessert, etc. for very bland pasta arrabiatta. Unfortunate for a cute restaurant with lots of competition in NYC.Special Features:
- Fabulous!love2eatDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I visited dell'anima on the recommendation of friends in Denver. Our waiter, Ben did a fabulous job of recommending dishes with wine pairings. We sat at the chef's table and looked on as the chef and his assistants put together all the plates and answered our foodie questions. The chicken dish was to die for. We may never eat chicken again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereAnnieDined on 9/24/2014This is the second time I've been to dell'anima and once again it did not fail to impress. The good is delicous. Simple Italian with wonderful flavors. I look forward to continue going back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!food4meDined on 9/20/20144 of us went. We ordered various pasta's, appetizers, entrees, 2 bottles of wine, and one dessert to share. We shared all the dishes. Everything was incredibly delicious and gourmet. The wait staff was excellent. Attentive,helpful and not over bearing. I would recommend this restaurant whole heartedly.Special Features:
- AlmostVenice40Dined on 9/9/2014Good food - unbearably noisy which will prevent us ever to returnSpecial Features:
- Definitely RecommendbmcdermotttVIPDined on 9/8/2014This place is an absolute must, especially if you're into Italian food. I had the Charred Octopus, Tagliatelle alla Bolognese, and Pollo al Diavolo. I would recommend any of these dishes in a heartbeat, especially the Tagliatelle. The ingredients were all so fresh and packed some really amazing flavor. Also, the wine list is rather impressive. Perfect spot for a date or special occasion, very friendly staff, and all around a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbrunognDined on 9/7/2014I never wrote a restaurant review before but the amount of black pepper in my gnocchi was just outrageous. It was more like Sbarro's than "high end Italian". There should be an "Authentic Italian Food Association" to shut down places like this!Special Features:
- One of my fave'sLauragDined on 9/7/2014I love this place. It's been one of my neighborhood favorites for years. Food, wine, and ambiance are excellent. Small space, so make a reservation! Excellent homemade pastas.Special Features:
- Great italianWillajaneVIPDined on 9/7/2014Chaotic and noisy but great food Rustic, simple and creativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Started off with assortment of the bruschetta dips; wonderful with wine. Beets salad was refreshing and dressed properly. Try the Carbonara, it was made to perfection. The Branzino cartuccio was probably the best prepared and tasting fish I had in a long time. Service was attentive and plates and silverware changed with new course. Small place so book in advance.Special Features:
- peachyss16VIPDined on 8/29/2014I always love going to this restaurant. The menu is always changing with the season and what is available; a sign of a great chef. I love that you can sit and watch the food being prepared in the open kitchen environment. Super friendly staff and an all-around amazing experience.Special Features:
- Favorite and Consistently GoodvillagegalDined on 8/24/2014I always order the same thing but dine with other who order other things to taste. We always love what we ordered while also wishing we'd ordered what someone else got -- it's all that consistently good. Delicious, fresh, ideal food and fun setting whether inside or outside in the back. It has a great downtown NYC vibe. I am always looking for an excuse to return.Special Features:
- Great dinnner!nycdinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014You know a restaurant is great when the most simple dish is one of the best (bucatini). Also loved the other pastas, and the fish. Will return to try new items and enjoy our favorites again!Special Features:
- Poor service, good wineCPBPDined on 8/5/2014Service not really up to scratch in my view, but fortunately the food, wine and ambiance (and our company for the evening) were all excellent.Special Features:
- dee--lish!suzieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Incredibly different and beautifully prepared dishes. Always ether than great. Noisy, but food trumps it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightwendyweDined on 7/26/2014My peekytoe crab and avocado was a superb marriage of flavours; his carbonara was delicious and light being made with egg rather than cream; the espresso-rum almond cake, not especially espresso or rum flavoured but totally yummy. We sat outside which was perfect for a romantic evening. I suspect it is quite noisy inside. The waitperson was so warm and positive and well informed about both the food and the wine that she really added to the evening.Special Features:
- The following 636 reviews are from the dell'anima reviews archive.
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Every dish is a winner. Homemade pasta melts in your mouth. Seafood seasoned wonderfully. Love this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!!neighborVIPDined on 7/11/2014We love dell'anima for brunch and/or dinner. The food and service both are outstanding. Sitting outside on a summer night at this charming west village restaurant feels like being on vacation!Special Features:
- Casual noisy neighbourhood ItalianNycdinnertimeDined on 7/6/2014Small , cozy, noisy but very pleasant ambience. Food is very good, modern, light Italian.Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014My husband were in NYC for our anniversary and a colleague of mine recommended dell'anima. We had a reservation but the tables were running a little behind. The hostesses and the manager were very attentive during the delay and we were able to have a drink at the bar while we waited. The manager continued to make our experience more enjoyable. He offered help selecting a wine and offered feedback on menu items. The staff did not linger unnecessarily yet our water glasses were never empty. The courses were served with nice time in between each. Our favorite dish was the bone marrow followed by the Insalate Endive. Nice work dell'anima and Robert Nieporent. Thank you.Special Features:
- Will be back!FrenchfryloverVIPDined on 6/29/2014Thanks to Robert and his warm, talented staff for spoiling us last night. We had the pleasure of sitting at the kitchen bar. This group works well together to create delicious, fresh, hot food that moves immediately out of the oven or stove to your table. Handmade pasta, fish, quail, crusty but juicy chicken, other meat selections were all on the menu. Start with the house made ricotta spread and end with the dessert that includes sea salt caramel ice cream. Anything you choose for the in between will be a treat. We were particular to the Bronzino and the penne pasta made with chanterelle mushrooms. This is a neighborhood gem with great energy. We were treated to a celebrity spotting. She is one smart actor choosing to eat at Dell'Anima!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The food was extremely good, service excellent, all at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE bestgreatscott23VIPDined on 6/27/2014Love the open kitchen and love the food....the waitstaff and managerial people are also spectacular. All around amazing restaurantSpecial Features:
- Excellent!!!NortheasterlyDined on 6/26/2014Great experience - fish was amazing and the sides were really lovely. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 6/25/2014food was good but it was too loud felt like a pub sceneSpecial Features:
- Excellent!AmazingDined on 6/23/2014Food, ambiance, service etc were all excellent. So glad I finally got a reservation!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Food and service were excellent. Great bruschetti spreads, excellent arugula salad, tajarin alla carbonara, bolognese, and pork chop were all great. Super helpful and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So NiceChrisVIPDined on 6/22/2014Had brunch with a friend on a Sunday. We sat outside (which is actually around the corner) and had fantastic service and tasty food. Be aware, you won't get a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa until noon on a Sunday.Special Features: