Deleece Restaurant (on Southport)
3747 N. Southport Avenue
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Deleece Restaurant (on Southport)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.deleece.com/
- Phone: (773) 325-1710
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday 9:00am - 2:30pm: Sunday Brunch 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josh Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We rent out the entire restaurant for private parties but are also able to accommodate parties of 10 to 30 guests in the main dining room, depending on the date, time, and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Wallack 7733251710
- Cross Street: Grace
- Public Transit: The Sheridan red line, the Southport brown line and the Ravenswood brown line are all equidistant to the restaurant. The 22 Clark St. bus is one block away on Clark and Irving Park Rd.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking, Valet during theater shows
A word from Deleece Restaurant (on Southport)
One of the first sophisticated, yet casual neighborhood haunts, Deleece is still considered one of the best. With its innovative, seasonably inspired eclectic menu, its affordable prices, and warm welcoming service, Deleece is the neighborhood restaurant you wish was in your neighborhood! We serve lunch Tuesday through Friday from 11:30am to 2:30pm and we serve brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00am to 2:30pm. Reservations for Sunday brunch are accepted for parties of 6 or more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Deleece Restaurant (on Southport) - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Deleece Restaurant (on Southport) reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)great for outdoor dining (26)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (21)good for groups (16)romantic (13)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- just okdoubleDDined on 11/15/2014we've been to delece several times and have loved it but not this time. our waiter had a large table and didn't check on us, the crab cakes were all breading, the mussels were tough and had no flavor, my lamb shank was fatty. will not go back and it's a shame, such a cute place that use to have good food
- Delicious food & excellent ambianceeshipsDined on 11/8/2014We took my extended family from Michigan here when they came to town last week. There was a big group of us (8) but it was easy to make a reservation and they sat us immediately upon our arrival. Everything was absolutely delicious and very affordable for the quality. It will definitely become a favorite place for us!Special Features:
- Absolutely Deliciousjph168Dined on 11/3/2014Deleece never fails to impress me with their exquisite food, sizeable portions, and reasonable prices. I definitely recommend this spot for anyone who is looking for a nice, chic, relaxing, dinner spot.Special Features:
- DonnaBDined on 10/19/2014The food was excellent. The bar order was dissatisfying to two at our table, was adjusted on requesr. One drink returned and deleted from the bill. Wait person deliquent at times but in his defense the scene was very busy. An afteer theatre crowd brought the house from zero to 100 in a short span of time.Special Features:
- Pleasant and convenientdragonfly3Dined on 10/19/2014We had a nice dinner here after seeing Ave Q. Service was friendly and fairly knowledgeable. The bar was out of the Malbec I requested and when I asked for suggestions I got a blah Merlot. The special tart with spaghetti squash and pear was sort of bland but the fried olives were tasty. Tomato soup was delicate and yummy. My peppercorn filet was done perfectly but was not very tender--the side potatoes were ordinary. My friend's pork chop was large and tasty. German chocolate cake is a favorite of mine so I ordered a piece to go. What arrived was a dark chocolate round with caramel drizzle with some pecan pieces. It was good but far from GCC. It was an okay dinner, but unless we are at the Mercury, we will not be dining here again.
- Great Pre-Theater RestaurantElyArtistDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed dinner at Deleece prior to a performance at Mercury Theater (it adjoins the restaurant). Perfect pairing of theater and restaurant! Our food was delicious, and the staff was gracious at our slight tardiness (I called to let them know we'd be a few minutes late). Service was quite speedy at the beginning of the meal, but slowed a bit as the restaurant filled just prior to performance time. The fried calamari we ordered "for the table" were, perhaps, the best calamari we've ever had -- very tender and tasty. The salmon signature dish was truly wonderful. The only glitch came at dessert, when we ordered a "flourless chocolate cake" and instead server brought a "German Chocolate cake" -- he apologized and did not charge us.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceSethDined on 10/17/2014Positive in every respect. Menu was not extremely large, but everything was executed well. The restaurant shares a building with the Mercury theater and despite a sold-out show that night service was great and smooth.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood spotiowagrlDined on 10/16/2014We ate an early dinner before attending the play in the Mercury theater next door. I love the nice brick work on the walls and the. small comfy feel the restaurant. My friend ordered a beet salad and a brussel sprout salad.The rectangular dish had both yellow and red and wasartfully displayed. He said they were delicious. My husband ordered fish tacos and said they were the best he'd ever had. They were accompanied by French fries with truffle oil that were outstanding. I ordered the grouper mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables. I wasn't particularly impressed with the grouper but the mashed potatoes were very good.Our waiter was prompt and efficient and food was delivered in a timely manner. the wine list was not extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal before the showCindyJVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was breathtaking. My niece had the duck. I had the Grouper. While the grouper was phenomenal, the duck had me sighing for more. My niece only gave me a small bite. All the flavors (in both dishes) blended together for an exquisite meal. It is worth the drive into the city to come back here - whether we see a show at the Mercury Theater or not. I can't wait to try more of their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!NomiDined on 9/27/2014Deleece provided a wonderful dining experience for us on so many levels. The ambiance was great, lively & yet as setting where you can still converse with those at your table. It's in an amazing location with so much to see & do around the neighborhood. Our food was delicious. The chef & waiter were very accommodating to my vegetarian needs. Our waiter (Will) went through the menu extensively with me to point out which items could be converted to veggie & then even recommended something not on the menu. My date had several questions about the wine menu which our waiter clearly answered for her & even brought her a sample of something. I'm already looking forward to going back to Deleece to try their brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicefoodloverVIPDined on 9/25/2014Loved the tuna tacos. The server was very friendly and had great recommendations. Perfect place for pre-theater dining!Special Features:
- disappointingdlschicagoDined on 9/21/2014we had high hopes based on the reviews, but found DeLeece to be just ok, and overpriced for what it is. The caesar salad was average at best, the Filet special was very small and tough and thoroughly unenjoyable. Did not expect the restaurant to be out of multiple menu items during a 6:30 Sunday reservation. Desserts were hyped as fabulous by the server and were exceptionally disappointing - the flourless chocolate was bordering on inedible, other desserts were not much better.
- Great Brunch With a Large GroupDiningwbabyDined on 9/21/2014I made last minute reservations for my family to have brunch on Sunday morning. We had a larger group of 9 adults and 2 babies and the staff did a great job from having the table prepared for us ontime to dealing with the group being slightly distracted because we were talking so much. The food was great, the brunch menu had creative options to make everyone happy. I would highly recommend coming here for brunch!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I live in the neighborhood and am so pleased that there is another great restaurant that is more upscale than just the typical bar type testsaurants on southport. The good was great for everyone at our table of 6. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/13/2014Wasn't nearly as impressed with the food as the last time I came. While my fish was very good, the meat dishes at my table were overdone and tough. There was a play that night and we likely arrived at "prime time" for that. I think, if I return, will avoid the mad rush as the kitchen might have been stressed. Very busy, very loud. I like this restaurant better at off hours, I thinkSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2014We really enjoyed the ambiance of Deleece. The food and service was outstanding. I would highly recommend the calamari as an appetizer and the Ahi tuna tacos and the wagyu burger as entres. Our waitress Valerie was a delight and very knowledgeable about the food in general and the wine list.Special Features:
- Expectedly goodSouthporterDined on 8/21/2014Went for dinner before Avenue Q on Thursday. Great wine selection. And the menu is perfect -- lots of choices in a wide variety of categories. My friend had the steak and frites, I had the salmon. Both were cooked exactly as promised. Service was great and the cost is moderate. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very good meal for dinner.ChickVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our dinner was really good. Lobster roll and Ahi tuna tacos were tasty, appealing and nice sizes. Actually there were 4 of us and we all had tastes of the food. The watermelon mozzarella salad was also good, but could have used larger pieces of watermelon between the tomato and cheese. The french fires were wonderful as well. We went to the theater next door and no problem with getting us in and out in time. Would go back if in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Best Pork Chops Ever!MoM2VIPDined on 8/16/2014We chose Deleece because of it's proximity to The Mercury but were pleasantly surprised by the thoughtful hostess, friendly, knowledgable waitress and the great food. The pork chop, new to the menu was the staff's favorite. I was not disappointed. The sides were wonderful too!Special Features:
- fries??? Really??lovelyDined on 8/15/2014Drinks was amazing, food in general just OK, but fries, i couldn't touch it. not going back. SorrySpecial Features:
- Great Food and ServiceChazMaTazVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was delicious and the service first rate. Had valet service available which made parking easy for dinner and the show at the Mercury Theater. Would happily dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique AppetizersaletheaDined on 8/14/2014In my opinion, this gem is one of the best dining choices in the neighborhood. Glad it's open for both lunch and dinner. Don't forget to show your receipt from the Music Box Teater for a 10% discount. We went after a movie and ordered a bunch of appetizers, which were quite delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amndadamndadDined on 8/10/2014wonderful birthday dinner - wasn't a problem to get a reservation for 6 people on a sunday. all of us ordered different dishes, and no one really shared, because our meals were just that good. our servers were great! knowledgeable about the menu items.Special Features:
- greatthedrc65Dined on 8/6/2014The waiter was good the food was great will back in the near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieover40VIPDined on 8/2/2014The crab cakes were a bit mushy and tasteless. The texture of the wasabi pea dust is not a good addition because it makes you feel like you are eating crab shell. My duck was tough and the skin was not crispy. Wouldn't order either again. My husband enjoyed the branzino and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Convenient to Wrigley FieldjerryDined on 7/25/2014Why did I order a lobster roll when I'm going to Maine in a couple of weeks? Still the fries that came with it were very good.Special Features:
- The following 800 reviews are from the Deleece Restaurant (on Southport) reviews archive.
- DeleeciousChicagofoodieDined on 7/20/2014I am so happy to write a good review for Deleece. The Staff was tremendous and helpful with hints about the menu and allowing us to taste the wine selections prior to ordering a glass. Ambiance is wonderful, trendy, and comfortable seating. The music was the perfect level. Enough to block some of the other conversations and not so loud it hindered conversation. There was an outdoor patio but it was a little warm so we sat right next to the floor to ceiling windows. It was a lovely night. Braised lamb shank meat was fall off the bone tender. Salmon with black Chinese rice and spinach was also very good.Special Features:
- Kitchen service glitchPickyDinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014I ordered soup and a 2nd, while my husband ordered just a main dish. I requested the soup be served first. The waitress said she conveyed this to the kitchen, but they held up the soup until the main dishes were ready. As a result, the soup was barely warm, certainly not hot, when it arrived. The waitress did comp it, but this glitch was still annoying. The soup still tasted good, but the veggies in my risotto (and the dish itself) were rather bland. My husband enjoyed the lamb shank special he ordered.Special Features:
- Pleasant al frescoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/9/2014We enjoyed al fresco on the sidewalk; but, it was well situated, and there was relatively little street noise. Also, it was a beautiful evening. The food was excellent, as was the wine. Although we don't usually have dessert, the excellence of the meal enticed us to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedEllenVIPDined on 6/24/2014Won't return. The wine list mostly offered cheap wines at high prices, all of which were too high for a neighborhood place. The food was expensive for what it was and the dishes' ingredients were poorly selected combinations. For example, my ahi tuna main course was the size of a large appetizer and cost $27. My husband's hamburger was placed on a sweet bun with jam that created a taste disharmony with the meat; it was almost in-eatable.
- some things must changeVenusmagDined on 6/21/2014I was at the original Delecee location a few years ago and while the food hasn't changed with the location, I doubt I will be back very often. The new space is pretty, but it's openness makes it very loud. And there was something nice about going to the darker, smaller Delecee. Made you dress a little nicer and appreciate a $12 cocktail. At the new location it just feels like every other slightly overpriced cocktail place where people are wearing jeans and sandals. The waiter was nice but apparently we weren't deserving enough to have a conversation with as he did with the table next to us about craft beers. Again, the food was as divine as I remember it being but with so many restaurants in Chicago to chooose from...Special Features:
- good food, poor servicesouthportreviewsDined on 6/20/2014I was very disappointed by the service. We made an early reservation (6:30) knowing that we'd be with the kids and not wanting to interrupt the later crowd. Although we were seated and brought water/bread right away, we had the following problems: (a) three different people stopped by to say that the waitress was on her way, but it took 15 minutes before she took our order; (c) the drink order was incomplete; (d) the table behind us -- though seated after we gave our order -- had their food before 15 minutes before we did,; (e) 35 minutes into the visit, the waitress finally got the kids french fries; (f) when the food came out, my daughter's food wasn't with the order; and (g) the crab cakes tasted as if they were premade with no crab;Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingLooking4aGemDined on 6/17/2014I had been twice just after they moved to this location and both times quite good. This time for my birthday nothing special at all. My side came out with my soup not my entree. I sent it back and they clearly just put it under the heat lamps and brought it back with the meal soggy and tough. Dessert was bad version of panacotta. No mention of birthday even though my partner called ahead to inform them. Overall way too expensive for the quality of food and service. Will not go back or recommend.
- Always great!WannabeFoodieDined on 6/16/2014I have enjoyed Deleece since before they moved to the current location. The food is really great. The people and the service are great. This last time, we ate outside with some friends and we all enjoyed the food. I had some tasty cocktails. The others had good beer - nice selection of beers.Special Features:
- Great menu but RUDE serviceHowardDined on 6/9/2014The menu at Deelce is great, especially the prix fixe menu. The food itself came out nice and hot and had a beautiful presentation. We had the corn soup, spinach salad, chicken, and cod. Unfortunately, the soup and cod were too salty. Despite the "one star" I gave the service, our server was efficient and attentive. But the host (and presumably the other server) was pompous and rude--perhaps having a bad day, but nonetheless, he needs to work on his tone and his attitude toward customers when they ask for help. We probably won't go back.
- Dinner before of after Music BoxeaterholicVIPDined on 6/8/2014Water melon cold soup was OK, more like a smoothie. Tuna tartar - the tuna was already almost marinated in soy sauce. Had lost its natural raw taste but didn't feel like ceviche either. Not sure why they had to do this. Lamb chops were good with great mushed potato. Ice cream and sorbet were good. Attentive waitress.
- Dinner after movie at the Music BoxcdgchgoVIPDined on 6/7/2014We were seated on the sidewalk patio. It was very slow service, but attentive. The food was very good, the service was very good, just vey slow to get our food after ordering (about 1 hour wait). We didn't mind. Watching the street foot traffic and conversing was very pleasant. Metered street parking can be difficult. Recommend reservation for Saturday night as DeLeece was jammed. Price point is a bit high for this to be in our regular rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at afforadable prices.Mela526VIPDined on 6/7/2014They have a wonderful menu. It is very hard to decide on an entree as they all sound wonderful. Then they add in the specials which is tougher yet. I love the dessert menu also. Different, wonderful souding desserts. The kind of place that makes you want to return in order to try something different each time.Special Features:
- Excellent mealJohnDined on 6/7/2014Our group of 4 enjoyed eating here. 2 of us had the red snapper special which was superb. Great service.Special Features:
- What a surprise!Les922Dined on 6/7/2014After reading all the reviews we went here with mixed feelings. We were going to the Mercury Theater which is next door so we wanted to try it because it was convenient. It was such a surprise. The food was over the top! We all had different dishes. I had the salmon which was to perfection and the black rice was fantastic. We all shared mussels which were some of the largest and tastiest we have seen in awhile. BTW the salads were amazing and creative. For desert we shared an apple crisp which was a perfect ending. We will definitely be backSpecial Features: