Del Ray Cafe
205 East Howell Ave
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Del Ray Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://delraycafe.net/
- Phone: 7037179151x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 8am - 10:45am
Lunch: 11am - 3pm
Dinner: 5pm - 9pm (Sun -Thurs)
5pm - 10pm (Fri & Sat)
*Brunch: 8am - 3pm - served on Saturday, Sunday & major holidays
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Del Ray Cafe
From the owners of La Bergerie, a French café serving local, natural, and organic products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Del Ray Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (8)fit for foodies (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Good breakfastDebEVIPDined on 10/5/2014Our group of 6 enjoyed breakfast. Great coffee and service (George!) but del ray cafe is not a place you can linger on Sunday unless you go early or late - they crowds line up for tables. Good bacon, eggs, but the pancakes are lacking. Tried them twice. French toast was a hit.Special Features:
- Friendly service + delicious foodfoodloveDined on 9/14/2014My friends and I went to Del Ray Cafe for a birthday brunch. Great experience--we all felt like we found a gem! Yummy food: Two of us actually ordered an item the kitchen ran out of, so they gave us a discount on our meals. The table got two desserts to share as well--the beignets and the bread pudding, both of which were DELICIOUS. Friendly service: The staff is super friendly! At the end, they surprised us all by singing happy birthday to the birthday girl and bringing out a plate with candles and two cute little puffy pastries (they were kind of like cream puffs w/o cream). Sweet atmosphere: We sat upstairs, but we noticed on our way out that they have a cute outdoor patio as well.Special Features:
- delicious food, quiet scenebccarDined on 8/30/2014I've been meaning to try the La Bergerie sister restaurant since it opened. It did not disappoint. The food was just as good, but in a more casual environment. I went with a group of friends to celebrate my birthday. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent Mini Family ReunionMoSwimmer66Dined on 8/18/2014Just love Del Ray Cafe. The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive. This is our go to restaurant and they always accomodate us. I had family coming in from out of town at the last minute. They were able to get us a table when we wanted and had to move the time 2x due to airline delays. No problem. Menu covered a wide variety of different food preferences and allergies. Thank you everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AllergiesAbebabeVIPDined on 8/11/2014Didn't have many options for my allergies. They kept coming trying to take our plates while we were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch visitOldTownRegularDined on 8/2/2014I came with a family ranging in age from 17 to 85 for the brunch on Saturday. I like the restaurant tucked into the neighborhood. The screen porch looked like a nice option as did the small tables downstairs. Upstairs, however, the room was extremely loud during our meal. I could only hear the people to my immediate left and right. Only during a few less-noisy moments was I able to speak with the rest of the table. I can't imagine what it was like for those in our party who wore hearing aids. The food was good/solid. Nothing outstanding but nothing to critique. I will return, but probably just with another guest and for a lunch on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 41 reviews are from the Del Ray Cafe reviews archive.
- Wonder option for Sunday brunchan0nym0usVIPDined on 4/13/2014My husband and I typically have for dinner or brunch at DRC by ourselves, but Sunday we brought out of town friends and their two children. The food was terrific, and service was excellent; I typically have eggs, but this time I had a crepe with chicken, asparagus, and a curry creme fraiche. Other dishes included eggs benedict, quiche, and pork belly. They are very good with kids, It is an added benefit that one can make a reservation for parties of six or more! The small kitchen does get every busy, but everyone stays pretty cheery, and a basket of croissants to start definitely helped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMelissaDined on 3/2/2014We went for brunch this past weekend and had a great time. We were seated immediately and the service moved us quickly through the selection process. The menu was varied and the food came out well prepared. Overall, we enjoyed it and will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful brunchmerri1000Dined on 2/16/2014We were able to get a reservation for 6 the night before, which was a lifesaver. Food was excellent, service was great. Portions were reasonable and seemed relatively healthy and light. The only complaint was that they brought the wrong meal to my husband, and then he had to sit and watch us eat for a half hour until they brought the right dish. They did apologize, but some other compensation would have been appreciated.Special Features:
- Our favorite Del Ray pickOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2014We've eaten here countless times since they opened in 2012. We are leaving the neighborhood, and will miss this gem. Kid tip - GREAT kids menu. Lots of healthy, fun options that our 2 year old devours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under CookedDandBDined on 12/24/2013We are regular customers and expect the ups and downs at the Del Ray Café. This time was pleasant with excellent service. Food was good except that it took three tries to cook the meat properly. This disrupted the meal service creating a loss of pleasant meal flow. However, the service did an excellent job to correct the problem. We expect to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Christmas Eve Fixed PriceDCdinerVIPDined on 12/24/2013My two kids (20's) and I enjoyed a nice meal on Christmas Eve at the Cafe. We each tried different appetizers and entrees, although two of us enjoyed the buche de noel for dessert. Friendly service and good options on the menu (accommodated both the meat eater and the vegetarian.) Perhaps a new tradition born.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Christmas EveAnonymousDined on 12/24/2013This is the first time we'd done a special occasion (Christmas Eve with friends) at Del Ray Cafe, and they did not disappoint. While Del Ray Cafe is pricey compared to other neighborhood restaurants, the food was fabulous, the service excellent, and we all enjoyed it enough to return for New Years Eve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, cozy, great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/15/2013Delicious, cozy, great ambience as before!! Definitely go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific weekend brunch spotEGC2005Dined on 11/17/2013We had a variety of diners - my three-year-old, my aunt with particular taste, my highly-sensitive-to-salt mother, my corned-beef-hash husband - we all loved our food. Portions look a little small at first but turns out, the portions are perfect. We all had enough to eat and didn't have to be rolled out of there. Menu has terrific creative interpretations of traditional brunch favorites. Creative enough to be interesting, not so "foodie" to be intimidating. Space is a little tight and noise bounces around a lot. Coffee could be hotter. Servers were very attentive and friendly, food was terrific, kid brunch menu was great. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LeitchDined on 10/19/2013We have never had a bad experience at Del Ray Cafe and can't wait until the next time we go! We typically like to bring out of town guests here because it is quaint and we are always able to get a table through OpenTable. The atmosphere reminds me of a place you would find in Charleston, SC...The service is wonderful and they are go out of their way to please you. We had six people in our group and everyone got something different off the brunch menu and every single person cleared their plates. Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for tables of 5markVIPDined on 8/20/2013Tables of five get a small fold out table with no room. Tables of six get a huge dinner table. We had reservations for six but one person did not show so they re-seated us in a tiny fold-out table that was shaky. Food was very good. Service was very good. Price was ok. Some kids made it noisy. If you are a small group of three or less, you will enjoy.Special Features:
- Great Multigenerational ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2013Staff kindly arranged our table on first floor to accommodate baby carriage and elderly guest in our party. Handicap access and convenient parking space in rear. Favorite appetizers were lightly battered squid, soft-shelled crab, and escargot. Favorite entree was the daily special red snapper. Extensive wine list (bottles only). Desserts and espresso coffee were spectacular! Friendly service, accommodating of our taking photos with new baby. Learned that the father of two brothers who were serving works at the same international agency in North Africa as one of our guests. What a small world! Our guests enjoyed discussing the menu and ordering in French. Children's menu is special because of the many, healthy offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2013Fantastic food and kid friendly for brunch. Only downside is at least 1 item on order is always wrong. 4-6 people usually in group, so not too bad, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girls Night OutNancyDined on 5/23/2013We loved the relaxed feel of this place. It was great for our "girls night out". We all ordered something different and everyone was pleased with what they ordered. We would definitely like to come back to try additional choices on the menu. Service was very friendly and very efficient.Special Features:
- Great food, good serviceDJHorkVIPDined on 5/19/2013Had a great brunch. Food to be excellent, fresh, and great space. Room we were seated in upstairs was a bit noisy, but probably largest room; will ask for other seating next time. But, food and service made up for it. Will definitely go back to try more delicious food options didn't get to try this time.Special Features:
- Second Time Better than FirstSoutherngent67VIPDined on 5/12/2013And the first time ws excellent. Brunch the first time and celebratiing Mom's Day for dinner. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Del Ray CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/21/2013adorably nestled in del ray, del ray cafe is a true gem. delicious french pastries galore (omg the chocolate croissant) and a nice array of brunch items (the salmon benedict was truly divine--best hollandaise sauce i've ever had) with some foodie-tastic options (pork belly!) as well. we waited a bit for our table to be ready even though we had a reservation, but the neighborhood is so quaint and the sun was shining, so we didn't mind much. the service was impeccable and the prices are so reasonable.Special Features:
- I received poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013I received poor service. I made reservations, but one of our party couldn't make it last minute. We told this to our hostess, and she was very sassy and disrespectful, telling us that we had told her our reservation was for six and that they had already set the table for six. I did not realize it was so difficult to take one set of silverware off the table. Once we were seated, we had to wait a long time to order and get our food. My friend had to ask for cream for her coffee (which she ordered at the beginning of the meal) multiple times and didn't get it until near the end of the meal. Albeit, they seemed busy, but it seemed like other tables were receiving more attention than ours. I will probably not return.
- My favorite new spot in Del RayShellDined on 3/31/2013I cannot say enough good things about the food and especially the brunch here. The staff is great (with the exception of one of the hostesses who seems a bit overworked and surly, but don't let that dissuade you!) and very good at accommodating requests. The croissants are amazingly fresh and buttery and the use of a lot of local organic ingredients shows through in the food. A cute neighborhood spot that I hope will be around for years to come. Pleasantly unpretentious for such good food. Bright and sunny and comfortable. Did I mention the food is awesome?Special Features:
- Maybe it was due to the factOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Maybe it was due to the fact that there was a large Easter Brunch crowd but it took quite some time four our waiter to show. My husband and I have enjoyed dinner here before and thought it would be a great place to try for brunch. My son ordered a salad from the "starter" menu and it showed up with his entre so he told the server he had wanted it before. The server gave it back to the waiter who then came hovering around telling us that he should have been told it was to be served before - one would think that the purpose of a "starter" is just that. My son said they could package it up and he would take it with him just because it was getting a bit uncomfortable for us sitting there with the waiter slowing down the whole process.Special Features:
- Poor Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/10/2013I dined at Del Ray Cafe for brunch on a Sunday. We had a large party so we made a reservation. When we arrived, I proceeded to the hostess to let her know that our party was all there for our reservation. The hostess has obviously never worked in a restaurant before in her life and was very disheveled and extremely unprepared. When asked questions, she would stumble over answers and you knew that she had no idea what she was doing. We arrived maybe 5 minutes prior to our reservation time but did not end up being seated until 30 minutes after our reservation time. Another party of the same size arrived after us with a reservation and was seated before us. Other than the poor service, the food was very good and we enjoyed our brunch.Special Features:
- Enjoyed food. We were a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013Enjoyed food. We were a group of 7 with a reservation, but were seated at a table that should not have had more than 4-5 tops. Servers did little to help this cramped situation and we moved plates around to try for the most comfort. There was at least one table that we saw that would have better suited us and there were 6 people at it. I would definitely go back, but never with more than 4. It was disappointing to be so crowded. They should not have accepted a reservation for that many people if they were not prepared to accomodate it.Special Features:
- My husband and son were delighted.AraFDined on 2/20/2013My husband and son were delighted. We will definetely go back.Special Features:
- This place is fabulous! Good,sbsvdlDined on 2/10/2013This place is fabulous! Good, fresh food without a ton of fuss. We will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Casual Dining, RefinedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/26/2013This is a neighborhood place serving an organic country French fare without any of the pretense usually associated with those words. The prices aren't cheap, but you get value for what you pay here. Bring the kids along -the menu has choices for those picky eaters the crispy chicken tenders and pasta with butter & cheese quells finicky toddlers. The adult menu is quality food, expertly prepared served in a friendly atmosphere. Mussels with saffron -Irresistible. Foie Gras -Decadently good. Rissotto -Rich, creamy goodness. Rack of Lamb -Definitive preparation. The wine list has something for just about every taste and price point, so the casual atmosphere doesn't preclude a wonderful accompaniment to your meal. Go, you'll be glSpecial Features:
- I have been to Cafe Del RayFrancofileDined on 1/23/2013I have been to Cafe Del Ray 4 times in 6 months since I discovered it. The food is outstanding. The upstairs room is pretty and airy. The downstairs room had poor acoustics. There was my group of 6 and another group of 10 or so in a very small space and the sound kept reverberating. It made conversation very difficult. I had requested said room downstairs because some of my party would not have been able to navigate the very long stairway. It was a catch 22 but everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food. We would go back in outdoor weather when we could sit on the screened-in porch. The garlic fries were absolutely fabulous. Another favorite was the beignets with chocolate filling and orange sauce. All of us agreed we would go back again.Special Features:
- Good prices for healthy local,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2013Good prices for healthy local, organic food and a excellent place for brunch. Best restaurant in a good neighborhood for them in Del Ray. Vegetable has is good, crepes are good--get buckwheat and order them as create your own to save a bit. Quiches are always delightful. Plentiful vegetarian and gluten-free options. Buckwheat pancakes are also good, as is the selection of local syrups.Special Features:
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/23/2012We expected much less! What a wonderful surprise!Laurent and his family you have a great place! The service was great too! We really enjoy it!Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.MeemDined on 12/1/2012Excellent food and service. Exceedingly noisy due to the hard surfaces and tightly packed tables.Special Features:
- Quality fare in Del RayStephenDined on 11/10/2012This is the new place to go for a casual but satisfying meal in an appealing neighborhood. The menu is French and the selections are impressive. There is a daily special served every day of the week which adds interest to the selections. It was venison on Saturday night. The farm house-style home conversation to restaurant creates a venue that is charming.Special Features:
- We have been long time fansOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/4/2012We have been long time fans of La Bergerie in Old Town. When we heard that the Bergerie team was opening Del Ray Cafe as a new bistro-style experience, we decided to give it a try, and we are very glad we did. The space is newly renovated and very welcoming. The food was top-flight: my wife had the cucumber soup special and the rabbit entree, and I had the escargot and the flounder. Everything was just perfect. For dessert, we shared chouquettes, which are small puff pastries with chocolate and raspberry sauce for dipping. Simply put, it is a must-have. We believe that this will ultimately be one of the best restaurants in Del Ray, and we certainly will be going back-Special Features:
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2012Del Ray Cafe is a casual french gem in a charming house. The food and service were great. Great for a date or to bring the kids.Special Features:
- Decibel level is wrong. HireOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2012Decibel level is wrong. Hire an expert to develop a noise plan.
- Wonderful evening! HavingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2012Wonderful evening! Having been here several times, I can attest to the great fish choices. Whether you order a whole fish or the fish special, you are sure to enjoy your meal. On this occasion both the rockfish and the black sea bass were excellent, as were the vegetable sides. Great creamed spinach and fennel salad! One of our guests had the chicken and was pleased with how juicy and flavorful it was...just as it was on the evening we ordered one to take home (accompanied by a delicious baguette). Good cold beer, a wonderful wine, blackberry tart and espresso rounded out the meal. This place is a welcome addition to the DelRay neighborhood!Special Features: