777 I Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
South AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://delcampodc.com/
- Phone: (202) 289-7377
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm,
Thursday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Peruvian, South American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Del Campo
The lifestyle and food culture celebrated on an estancia, a large South American vineyard estate, is the inspiration for Victor Albisu’s flagship restaurant in the Chinatown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The airy, 174-seat agrarian space is home to a meat-driven, wine-centric menu that is a product of Albisu’s Latin American roots and travels throughout Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Uruguay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Del Campo reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (162)special occasion (119)good for groups (76)notable wine list (70)hot spot (54)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (26)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent quality and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014I don't eat red meat, but my boyfriend loves steak more than most things in life. So for his 30th birthday, I asked a few friends for steakhouse recommendations (with the stipulation that I could eat something too). Del Campo came up a few times and looking at the menu, I was sold immediately. Sure, it's a little pricey, but for a nice night out, the ambiance, service, and quality of food is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed bag...tpf64Dined on 11/22/2014While we had a very enjoyable evening, we had very poor service once the appetizers were delivered. Our wait time for our main course was over 1 hour 20 minutes and when we complained to the manager, he couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating providing us with glasses of wine as well as giving us 2 desserts gratis when we had just ordered 1 for the table. We were unsure if slow service was due to kitchen issues or our waiter. I enjoyed the apps more than the main course. While the food was very tasty, all 4 of us found the food very salty. I probably wouldn't go back to the restaurant again as food options were limited for my husband and me, but would recommend it to friends who are steak lovers and who don't object to very salty food. Maybe it was just an off night...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great ambianceBrendanDined on 11/22/2014First time visiting Del Campo; would definitely go back again! Food was excellent and came out in a timely, but appropriately staggered fashion. Service was better in every aspect than most "fine dining" restaurants in the District. Can't wait to visit again and try more of the delicious menu options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularRhodesgolferDined on 11/22/2014One of the best cocktails I've ever had-The Gin Joint. Then, one of the best appetizers I've ever had-The Grilled Octopus (nothing like what you'd expect). Omar the waiter was quite professional. The concept of this restaurant is brilliant. Everything from the simple syrup in the cocktails to the main entree is infused with the smoke of something; whether it be wood, herbs, fruit...there's a layer added to each bite that you wouldn't get with the exact item somewhere else. My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you go with an empty stomach. They don't cheat you with portions. My Ribeye was spectacular, with a perfect caramelized crust and several sauces to compliment it. My Wife's Wagyu Rolled Skirtsteak was extremely tasty but be careful how you choose to cut your bites, as you know Skirtsteak can be chewy if you cut with the grain. You could certainly have a great dining experience at Del Campo by simply ordering multiple appetizers. This would not be like a tappas meal because the appetizers are large. Give it a shot folks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and very accomadating for large groupsyummoDined on 11/18/2014A bunch of us got steaks and they were some of the best steaks we've had - definitely worth the price. The waiter was knowledgeable about all the menu items (we weren't sure what some of the words were) but the waiter was great at explaining. Had a great time until another large party (maybe 6 people?) came in - they were dreadfully loud which made conversation at our table a little difficult (even though we had 8 people) but that wasn't the restaurants fault. Be careful of this though - this place is busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Fantastik steak, fantastic drinks, great service. Great atmosphere, although it should stay open/serve drinks a little bit longer. Stil, would go back in a heartbeat. Very positive experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/15/2014The menu here is really interesting and we loved the octopus appetizer. Our server was also great. But we found some of the food to be too salty, and we didn't think overall it was a very good value. The restaurant did not make us pay for two entrees that were not to out liking and they brought us dessert -- they went out of their way to make us happy, which we appreciated.
- BobbiesBytesDined on 11/10/2014Third time here and still a charm! No complaints re the Big Three -food, service and ambience! We took advantage of the corkage policy and, unlike many other establishments, our server was happy to de-cant both bottles. The Wygu beef empanadas were a scrumptious start. Short ribs, hanger steak, pork shank were done to perfection without much waste. Peruvian chicken smokey and flavorful; accompanying yucca was crispy on outside, creamy on inside. Grilled jalapeno mashed potatoes side was okay; grilled greens better! Dense, creamy S'mores for dessert for the chocolate lovers is a must; dulce de leche crepe souffle was a pleasant something different; crispy apple empanadas what you would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 3rd time here...NedBeatySquealedVIPDined on 11/8/2014and I'll be back again. This time I ate alone in the bar and had the burger while watching a football game. I'm guessing most folks wouldn't order a burger at a place of this stature, but I was really good. The meat was very juicy and had a great smokey flavor. My only quibble was with the bacon. As a stand alone item, it was very tasty. However on the burger it's so thick that it's hard to bite through when eating the burger. I pulled it off and ate it as a a side dish. I had a great Argentinian Malbec/Cab blend that was recommended by the sommelier, who was very helpful.Special Features:
- Another Enjoyable EveningAmantediTavolaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Returned on a Saturday night to celebrate a birthday. Seated upon arrival and in a quieter area than before. Offered water choice quickly but then had to wait to order drinks. After that service settled down into professional and attentive (e.g., water and wine glasses regularly filled). We brought an older wine from home which was expertly decanted by the sommelier (no sediment). Food was tasty as usual -- smoky, grilled flavor -- octopus a standout among apps and rib-eye among mains. Meat is not fork-tender corn-fed but denser texture and intense beef flavor from free-range grass. Meatballs were just okay -- not worth the $. Interesting sides. Beware the incredibly delicious fresh baked bread or you won't finish your meal!Special Features:
- Grilled meats-what's not to loveWannaBFoodieVIPDined on 11/6/2014Second time there, and both times the food was excellent. Be prepared for a smorgasbord of meats. My party (of three) started with the smoked tuna tartare, grilled octopus, and pork belly. Next we got the mixed grill supplementing our strip steak, tongue, and chorizo with oysters, accompanied by the greens and fries. MAN-O-MAN, the fries were dessert-worthy. We finished off supper w/ a soufflé. Only complaints were my first fork had some dried, caked-on chimichuri, room gives me a bit of vertigo, and after-dinner tea/coffee took too long (which they removed from the bill), BUT overall excellent food and great/friendly/professional service.Special Features:
- Great service!ALPODined on 10/29/2014Servers were great. very attentive and polite. Food was great. I will come back!Special Features:
- Del Campo is a meat lover's dream!SacramentoFoodieDined on 10/25/2014If you love beef, lamb, ribs, chops, spices and charcoal, you will enjoy Del Campo. it's a unique blend of flavors and food from Argentina, Peru, Brazil and Cuba. Seafood lovers will also find something to enjoy on the menu. The salads are large enough to share or serve as an entrée if you're not too hungry. The wine list is all South American, with reasonable selections from Chile leading the pack. The small plates are meant to be shared; that way you can taste many different styles and flavors -- all tinged with smoke. Everything that ends up on your plated is smoked, or heated near smoke. It's loud, it's a tad expensive and it's worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service and foodjsquatDined on 10/25/2014Expensive but the great service that comes with the great food is guaranteed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Great ServiceSaraDined on 10/25/2014The Food was absolutely fantastic. Apetizers to die for! We were there for Dinner and had the Asado style dinner. Asado options were geat. The service was great, food was ready at the right moment.. No long delays. A great experience. The only not so good point.. is a bit too pricey!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, elegant and divineGenie4foodDined on 10/24/2014The food was amazing, the service was nice. It was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The food was a little pricey but that can be expected. Lamb neck gnocchi was delicious, hanger steak was good, and pork cheeks were terrible. I've had pork cheeks before and these were tough and not much flavor, I should have ordered something else. I will go again and order some different grilled meats and give it another try. Really questioning how it made the top ten in the fall dining guide though. Our server Michael was very good, attentive but not intrusive. The Som was ok but missed on polished details of service like pouring wine for the men before the only lady at the table.
- Very disappointing experinceFredDined on 10/18/2014We had a 915 reservation and didn't get seated until 930, even though tables sat empty and uncleared from previous diners.Once we were seated, it took another 15 minutes to get service (water only at that point). When the waiter finally came to the table, he asked if we were ready to order. He still hadn't even taken our drink order at that point, but wanted our food order. When the food finally came, both entrees were covered in grease. We each ate half our entrees and took the rest home for the dogs. Completely unacceptable for this price point. Definitely one of the worst meals I've had in DC in a long time.
- FoodieDined on 10/18/2014The food was oustanding in every respect. Some unigue flavors for us but well prepared. We will be back.Special Features:
- Del Campo does not disappointKC22180Dined on 10/17/2014Our waiter Sam was excellent and the skirt steak was unbelievably delicious! We highly recommend the grilled octopus and beet salad appetizers. Chef's ability to smoke a meat and bring out its best qualities is phenomenal. One of our favorite places to eat!Special Features:
- In the mood for something differentAjayDined on 10/14/2014If you are in the mood for something different, Del Campo is for you. The service is great & the ambiance is nice. The food at this South American restaurant is different - both in terms of what's on the menu and how its prepared. Know that going in. This isn't a place to go when you are hungry or want comfort foods. This is a place to go when you are ready to explore! And, be warned, it is expensive. Different doesn't mean bad - it means not exactly like what you'd expect. The Salmon Ceviche was excellent. One more note, this is one of those restaurant that purposely burns the edges of everything it cooks. Take that into account when judging serving sizes.Special Features:
- Delicious Food/so so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The food was superb. Everyone at our table loved their dinner, but didn't love the service. The waitress never smiled, was not attentive and overcharged us $80 on our bill. My husband asked for a second round of bread five times before receiving it. The meatballs, which I didn't try, were apparently spectacular. I had the short ribs. I was expecting a braised version, but it seemed more like a grilled ribeye. It was delicious, though. The sides were heaven. We had the polenta, the potato salad, and the jalapeño mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- Excellent foodNotagymbunny33Dined on 10/11/2014My partner and I were meeting friends from out of town here for a Saturday dinner, and the food was wonderfully delicious! Our server was great, but at times a bit slow to come around. However, the staff was very prompt about taking away our plates after we finished our respective courses. Overall, a great find and a must-try place for lovers of all things grilled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cocktails and food!AJinDCVIPDined on 10/11/2014We tried the pisco sours, limonada and mojito - all were grwat. We started with beef empanadas and grilled octopus cauza - simply amazing. We switched to wine and had ribeye st we ak and peruvian chicken for our main course. Just perfection. We have to go back and try dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!MariapaDined on 10/11/2014It's a non rustic, but elegant restaurant, rather spacious than small, so you can have a group perfectly seated. The food was good. We loved the 48oz rib eye. The octopus appetizer was over done, but we put olive oil and sea salt and it was tasty. Jalapeño mashed potatoes were good and that was or side for the rib eye. Desserts were also very good. We had the tres leches and also the dulce de leche crepes. Both good! Enjoyed it all!!Special Features:
- Great foodjay2chefDined on 10/8/2014Went for a birthday dinner with friends and had wonderful food and wonderful drinks...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014We tried the restaurant as we had heard it was good south American food. Some was good but it seemed the chef tried too hard. The more basic traditional items were much better than the variations on classics. Strange flavor combinations didn't fare well with us. The service was average and the tables were very small and close together - not at all good for any privacy and made it difficult to maneuver for seating and managing the meals. (The table next to us knocked a glass of wine off table since table was so small and then the wine splashed all over our pants and shoes).Special Features:
- Noisy, mediocreOli321Dined on 10/8/2014Very noisy, not good for business lunches. Steak was mediocre, much better options around town. Service was excellent. Good ambiance.
- Very disappointing.........FoodGentDined on 10/6/2014Great atmosphere. Friendly, polished staff. Service was very, very, very slow. 2 of the 6 people in our party complained about significantly over-cooked meet. When you ask for more bread, don't expect to get it sooner than 18 minutes later, and generally with not nearly enough to satisfy the size of your party. Overall, we were all quite disappointed. What a shame. We simply won't be back. why bother?.....
- Fantastic food!glory59VIPDined on 10/5/2014We went for brunch: unlimited mimosas and food. The food was delicious, every single plate. The only downside was the service *at the beginning*. We waited for approximately 15 minutes before anyone came to our table to talk to us. Luckily one of the managers (I'm assuming was the manager, IDK) came to the rescue. After that everything went great, and the service was great. I'll definitely come back. From the brunch menu... you MUST try the empanadas, pork chicharron omelet, chorizo casserole, morcilla and polenta plate and the steak and eggs Benedict.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still developing Brunchnesrobin4VIPDined on 10/5/2014My roommate and I visited Del Campo on their first day to offer brunch. We were quickly seated and had a chance to admire the decor. I don't think the menu clearly describes the food, but we did enjoy our selections. Hopefully the staff are better prepared for the brunch service since the initial opening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentArtiebrown62Dined on 10/4/2014Steak dishes we're subvert! Excellent appetizers great variety to choose from. A great place to try something new!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2014Conveniently located near the convention center. Good place for a business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food Horrible ServiceJenJLDined on 9/27/2014A server (who was not the server who took our orders) brough to our table the butcher block with the grilled meat we ordered, she dropped the tray that is underneath the block which has lit embers & the tray hit my friend as it crashed toward the floor. This caused enough of a commotion that several servers & a manager came over to make sure everything was okay. The manager was concerned enough that he checked on us again about 5 to 10 minutes after coming over the first time. However, restaurant did nothing else to make up for this mishap. We didn't think the lack of comping anything was worth mentioning as management was aware of the mishap. My friends said they would not return to Del Campo despite liking the food.Special Features:
- ExcellentIsabellaDined on 9/27/2014We all agreed...in the top 5 of our culinary experiences. Everything was fabulous!Special Features:
- First timePaulDined on 9/26/2014This Friday was the first time I've dined at Del Campo. It was fabulous. Great steaks - grilled to perfection, grilled octopus a d sweet bread. Coctails very good. We shared one dessert, which was also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionlocaldinerVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great for a birthday dinner/special occasion. Food and cocktails were delicious and server was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessLoewenboyDined on 9/22/2014Food, service, prices -->Flawless Beef heart anticucho is must try.Special Features:
- Nice place for lunchterrypVIPDined on 9/22/2014I'm sure it's also great for dinner, but I took a colleague here for lunch, and it was an excellent choice. House-made chorizo with grilled greens for me, a burger for him that him swooning. A delicious iced tea that I couldn't quite identify.
- Terrible service and long waitFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014It was the worst service we have ever experienced. The cocktails took 20 minutes to arrive. We sat down at and the food came 1 1-2 hours later.