239 E. 5th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.degustation-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2129791012
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:30am
Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Global, International, French
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Licata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Wine
A word from Degustation
Degustation presents a provocative menu of Iberian, French and American influenced cuisine in a dynamic yet intimate bar setting, with an open kitchen. The local market inspired menu pairs beautifully with the hand selected wine offering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Degustation reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)special occasion (47)neighborhood gem (40)romantic (36)notable wine list (17)hot spot (12)late-night find (9)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Food4ThoughtDined on 9/5/2014Be prepared for a long (and warm) dining experience. The food was good, nothing too spectacular, however you should definitely try the Brussels Sprouts! The curry sauce with the Octopus was delicious but the octopus was slightly over-cooked. I wasn't too impressed by the duck. Wait staff was nice and it's great to watch your food being prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE LOVE LOVENYGirlDined on 8/31/2014Chef's tasting menu was by far the best choice. So many amazing dishes, all perfectly timed, and beautifully presented. Flavors ranged from subtle to surprising and all of the dishes pleasing to both eye and palette. The dessert was just the right amount of sweet paired with a surprisingly pleasing smoked flavor. So unique this experience. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the chefs work their craft.Special Features:
- Dinner @ DegustationjerheoDined on 8/31/2014I was looking for a new restaurant to try in NYC and I bumped into one of the recommendation online and decided to give it a shot! My husband and I tried the 8 courses tasting menu and the overall dining experience was pleasant, the staff were friendly and gave detailed description of each of the 8 courses. We were also seated right in front of the cooking station hence was definitely in for a treat as we watched the chefs prep the dishes. Food was great, nothing to dislike!Special Features:
- MUITO BOMrodgouveaDined on 8/28/2014ÓTIMA SURPRESA!!! BOA COMIDA COM AMBIENTE ANIMADO!!! VOLTARIA SEM PEDIR O MENU FECHADO!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food that's a work of artOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014My husband and I just had a great time celebrating our anniversary here. The open kitchen is so fun to watch and the food is prepared so delicately it was beautiful to watch. We got the tasting menu. It was pricey but worth it for a special occasion. The green egg and lamb dish was unbelievable, a real wow food moment, and not on the regular menu. If you can, request a seat in front of the main chef, that's where all the action is. It is also a nice romantic corner of the communal table.Special Features:
- yaelitoVIPDined on 8/13/2014certainly is a different dynamic than other restaurants. you sit at a counter and everything is cooked in front of you. very interesting. The options have nothing that innovative but they are prepared very good and the food was definitely excellent. The service staff was very knowledgeable of their menu and wine list and very attentive. I would prefer to try new places before going back, but sure recommend it to people who want something new.Special Features:
- A memorable treatbetsybobDined on 8/11/2014Sitting at the serving bar and watching the food preparation is fascinating. The chefs' energy and focus attest to the delicious and meticulously presented tapas style fare. Orchestrating your meal is half the fun. I am not one for sitting at bars, but the chairs are comfortable and the size of the bar space accommodates easy conversation. Every selection we made was outstanding and the full orchestration right down to the complimentary dessert wine was memorableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014We had a great meal at Degustation. It was our first time at the restaurant. It's a small place with seating at a bar around the cooking area. You can do a tasting menu or order a la carte. We chose to order individual dishes. For two people, we ordered 7 dishes plus 2 desserts. We thought it was a perfect amount of food. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Degustation reviewdesignerDined on 7/30/2014Very good but a bit self conscious. Some dishes way too salty and over seasoned. The cracked potatoes were the best. Limited dessert choices and not great. A good restaurant, friendly and fun but food could be better. Bread was inferior and in this kind of establishment, it should have been great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPaulDined on 7/25/2014Well worth the visit!! Was surprised how reasonable it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool modern tapasNateDined on 7/15/2014If you are looking for something cool and different, while still challenging your taste buds, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- Perfect solo dining spotGR19Dined on 7/14/2014Degustation was recommended to me as a perfect place to go as a party of 1, and it was just that -- Perfect! From the service to the ambiance, it was just how you'd want it as a solo diner. And the food was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale tapas wine pairingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/13/2014Just came back from Basque (San Sebastian) and Rioja, wanting the same great quality food and I found it here. Perfect service, great food and well-thought and reasonable wines. Since the 3 chefs cook over the other side of the table and in a very hot and smoky environment, the food (meat dishes) tend to be a bit salty (as they sweat and need more salt than us, sitting there). The air tend to be a bit hot and smokey as well. But it is definitely worth dining.Special Features:
- DisappointedDiner58VIPDined on 7/11/2014We were disapponted in the tasting menu. Most of the food was very good, but very small portions and not as exciting as the regular menu. Observing the diners next to us, we could have eaten double the amount for the same price if we had ordered ourselves. The wine pairings were nice but nothing special. Given that it's so small, we were surprised at how poor/in attentive and non-personal the service was.Special Features:
- Disappointed!BigFoodieDined on 7/7/2014Read a lot of positive reviews. Ordered the 7 course tasting menu. Was rushed through the courses...staff clearly had somewhere else to be. Portions sizes were also very small. Customers seated on either side of us ordered off the menu. The staff recommends 4-5 dishes to share. Portion sizes were larger and you would save about $60-$80 (or put it towards a bottle of wine). Regular portions were about $20 a plate.
- Foodies ParadiseBerwinDined on 7/6/2014Easy place to miss. Rather unique setting, 20 seats shaped like a elongated U surrounding the cooking area. We had the 7 course tasting menu, each course was delicious. It was a good show watching the chefs at workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in NYCDebSDined on 7/5/2014We found Degustation in Zagat's and all I can say is that it is, without doubt, one of the best restaurants in the city. Although it is tapas, you won't find this food anywhere else. Chef Nicholas Licata is simply amazing and creates superb dishes! The service is also outstanding and the cozy atmosphere is very nice. It's also fun to see the chef and others creating their amazing dishes in front of you. My husband and I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Part of the sceneabnrgrfoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Outstanding in every way and unique is a gross understatement!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin1pumpkin1Dined on 6/30/2014The food was excellent and all the preparation is done right in front of you. One sees just about each item of food that will be eaten as it is prepared. The wait staff is professional, friendly, and knowledgable. This was a terrific dining experience.Special Features:
- Amazing!ComfortVIPDined on 6/30/2014I'm so glad I stumbled upon this place! We went there the first night in town and it set a very high bar for the rest of the trip! We had the 7-course tasting menu, including: bacon croquettes; charred leek with puttanesca sauce; fried oysters in a red Thai curry sauce (insanely good!); risotto with shrimp; "green ham and eggs" - pork belly with a poached egg - so good; squab with carrots 3 ways, and torijjas. Wow. The service was very strong - knew the menu very well, could help confirm the wine selection given the menu, and moved in and out with no trouble or interruption except to explain the dish. I'd highly recommend this place - it felt like a privilege to be seated at the 20-seat counter watching Chef prepare the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and ServiceCoryWDined on 6/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Degustation. We opted for the tasting menu, and every single plate served to us was phenomenal. Although the servings were a little on the small side, at the end of the meal we were satisfied. The service was wonderful as well.Special Features:
- Fabulous intimate experienceLJOBDined on 6/22/2014If you are looking for a fabulous dining experience where you can watch the chefs prepare your blend of delicate flavours, this is the place for you. If you are fortunate to score one of the few sears grab it quickly and be sure to go for the tasting menu. I also did wine pairings which were superb. Once you order,sit back and enjoy the ride. DeelishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingkbeverVIPDined on 6/22/2014Went to this restaurant on the recommendation of a friend who is a real foodie. We were not disappointed. The menu was inventive and the food was wonderful. The Crispy Octopus was spectacular--well cooked with a wonderful sauce. The pea soup with scallops had a wonderful flavor. My companion had prawns that he couldn't stop raving about. The restaurant had an unusual set up with a bar around the kitchen like a sushi restaurant which we enjoyed. Because of the layout, you tend to talk to your neighbors and hear what they like about their meals. The wait staff was great with good wine recommendations. It takes a while for each course to come out but its worth it. Prices are extremely reasonable for an excellent NYC restaurant.Special Features:
- Amazing night at DegustationProbVIPDined on 6/16/2014We elected not to go with the fixed menu (though we saw each plate brought to others nearby and they looked amazing). We just were in the mood to pick and choose the courses. With the help of our waiter we did not go wrong. Food was incredible. Creative and impressive what the chef's can do with a tiny prep space. We will definitely be back and have told all our friends they must go. Waiter was so fun and attentive. Helped us select an amazing bottle of wine. Chef's were all very friendly too.Special Features:
- Amazing foodzahavaDined on 6/15/2014We loved the food. Everything was interesting with an amazing flavor. Want to go back.Special Features:
- Delicious and uniqueddddVIPDined on 6/14/2014Went with my wife, for a late (10pm) dinner and had a terrific experience. The place is intimate and all of the seats are around an open kitchen area - think sushi bar setup, but with the kitchen cooking and serving traditional "modern tapas" style foods. Everything we had was crazy-good, the service was spot-on and very helpful with questions, etc. And the prices, though not cheap, were a great value for what you get. This is definitely going onto our regular rotation.Special Features:
- Glad I tried it. Once.opentablerDined on 6/14/2014Food was delicious, but I felt portions were quite small for the prices. It is small plates, but it feels like you must order multiple quantities for more than one person for certain items. I'm glad I experienced it, but do not feel compelled to return. The service was ok, but also not stellar given how highly touted the restaurant is. We waited a bit too long to be serviced for drinks, our check etc. and had to ask for a few things.Special Features:
- Good but didn't meet expectationsdavidjenisonVIPDined on 6/11/2014As Zagat's highest rate Spanish restaurant in the city, Degustation had certainly peaked out interested, but the tasting menu failed to meet expectations. Dishes were good but not memorable, surprising the tasting menu lacked octopus, loved the open kitchen format, but we were still disappointed for the price. People love this place so maybe we just came on an off night.Special Features:
- Amazing dinner- unconventionalTouristaVIPDined on 6/5/2014Diners are seated around the open kitchen, enabling them to see dishes come to life. The food was inventive and delicious. The octopus, pork and prawns were all amazing. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousStarvingartistVIPDined on 6/3/2014A one off that is simply over the top... Pea soup, shrimp, squab, pork... All brilliant!Special Features:
- JtheGourmetVIPDined on 6/1/2014Like dining at a wine bar with much better food. But somehow the food just doesn't fully make at and the flavors can get messy since things are cooked in front of you on griddles. There is no real entertainment watching the chefs who seem bored and out of sorts. Wine list is interesting, but not actually all that well selected.
- IndifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2014We had reservations for 10 PM after a Saturday show at NYTW around the corner. The food was fine, nothing really stood out. Meager selection of wines by the glass. Service somewhat perfunctory. The bar seating was good; we sat on an end. If we were seated on the long section, it would have been rather cramped. It's normally fun to watch the line cooks but in this case, the food prep also seemed perfunctory.Special Features:
- Great dinnerfoodies11Dined on 5/31/2014Wonderfully tasting and prepared food in an unconvential setting. Perfect meal for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Best Meal!!MEK5VIPDined on 5/30/2014Just had my best meal e.v.e.r at Degustation. Outstanding food, and not pretentious. And also very affordable for the category of exceptional meals.Special Features:
- Definitely Go To DegustationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014I simply looked at Zagat's top rated restaurants in New York City and decided to try Degustation. I think it was rated # 13 or so. The cook's were truly talented and I would suggest this place to my best of friends. We did the tasting menu, which was outstanding. Every course exceeded the one before regarding presentation as well as taste. We added two extra courses that were inserted by the waiter at the proper time. It was a grand experience. All I can say is, Just Go !Special Features:
- Great food, tricky setupGabeEDined on 5/28/2014Firstly and most importantly, the food was absolutely great. Interesting dishes perfectly cooked and meticulously plated. The service was very good. Not especially friendly but efficient. While we loved watching the chefs create the food up close, the disadvantage to the seating setup is that you are elbow to elbow with other diners. Obviously it's the luck of the drawer, but unfortunately on the night we went we had inconsiderate loud diners on either side of us, and both my wife and I grew quite tired of banging elbows in our "airspace".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Grilled SquidArl29Dined on 5/28/2014Everything we ordered were delicious but the grilled squid was the best I ever had. We ordered 8 small plates ( 2 people) to share and we were full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!XavierDined on 5/24/2014We booked a late dinner; since the place only seats 20, we had to wait a few minutes. Jack, the owner/manager, apologized and graciously brought two flutes of sparkling wine that set the tone for a wonderful experience. Neither of us loved the Spring Pea Soup, but that was the only item we didn't rave about. The highlights were the Torn Bread with Goat's Butter, the most amazing Pork with Turnip, Apple and Potato (an absolute revelation), the Spring Lamb, and the Market Cheese (Vermont Bonne Marche) with Walnuts and whipped Seashore Honey. The Torrija dessert was also excellent, but the cheese and honey would do just fine as an ending to a terrific fully-satisfying-without-feeling-toxic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningtombrataDined on 5/23/2014The restaurant is small, with about 20 seats around the bar-like open kitchen. The tasting menu is superb and inexpensive. The chef is a master of creating rich flavor from simple ingredients. I never knew leek and asparagus can taste that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes you can...EnigmaDined on 5/22/2014My last night in New York after 2 weeks business and the first night for a a friend from London I was meeting so we went for the 7 course tasting menu which was a delicious culinary journey we didn't want to end. The croquetas and lamb were a couple of highlights. The lovely waitresses sorted a dessert wine which by any standards was close to a 'pint' of sherry and even took the time to write down a couple of bars for post dinner frivolity. As Molly Meldrum used to say 'do yourself a favour'...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.