231 E 50th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.degreziaristorante.com/
- Phone: (212) 750-5354
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vincenzo Vigliotti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from DEGREZIA RESTAURANT
Since 1987, DEGREZIA RESTAURANT has specialized in sumptuous portions of top-quality food cooked and prepared to perfection. An extensive wine list is available from very moderate to very expensive. Your hands-on proprietor, Joseph DeGrezia, insures your complete satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
DEGREZIA RESTAURANT reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (35)romantic (32)special occasion (32)notable wine list (15)good for groups (12)great for lunch (7)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Very disappointing dinner. One dish out of three was good.
- Great Continental CuisineArnoldVIPDined on 11/1/2014this is a lovely restaurant with good food and service.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyablefriends4dinnerDined on 10/24/2014We invited out-of-town guests to dine here and we all had a great time. The food and service were excellent. Everyone at our table of 6 could converse without straining to hear. A lovely spot for a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was horriblelovetoeatVIPDined on 10/23/2014Let's see. Where do I begin? We arrived on time for a Thursday dinner reservation for 5 of us only to be literally squeezed into a table as they apologized for the cramped conditions. About 10 minutes later we got water, but no waiter to take a drink or wine order. That took another 10 minutes. Waiters reached in front of across the table to refill water. Wine was never refilled. After dinner, they never asked if we wanted dessert or coffee, even though the place was starting to empty out. Then, they added an automatic 20% gratuity to our check that included $175 of wine that they barely served! Stay away from specials UNLESS you ask the price. An appetizer of burratta and roasted peppers cost $37. Yes, for an appetizer!
- Outstanding ItalianAndresVIPDined on 10/20/2014Classic excellent Food . We have dined here many times and have always had extremely great food. They will make anything you want as well.Special Features:
- Just wonderful!LovetoEatWellDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I had two precious evenings in New York to spend with my son and his girlfriend. I picked DeGrezia from the Open Table reviews for our second dinner together. What a wonderful place. It's beautiful, romantic, with a great wine list and a terrific kitchen - every single dish we ordered was out of this world. Bravo. The best thing was that we could enjoy a dinner and conversation with our son, who we don't see often enough. We will be back. DeGrezia was a welcome change from the night before when we had dinner in a very "hopping" restaurant with good food but so noisy, it was impossible to hear ourselves speak.Special Features:
- Middle-aged haven!HugelyRoundDined on 10/15/2014Slightly old-fashioned and proud of it - decor, music, service, food all suited to the 'older' market, I suggest, (which suited us just fine!) The fresh mozzarella was delicious, ravioli stuffed with sea bass served with a shrimp sauce excellent, gamberoni in garlic and cognac very good - the more modern take on tiramitsu didn't work so well (too creamy) but overall v god. We were served a duff bottle of 2007 Umbrian red which the sommelier immediately acknowledged a took away; v well managed and politely dealt with. Not cheap - about $500 for four of us - but a great find; calm, easy to hear each other, good food, good service, just what you need in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014While the fresh pasta special was tasty I was surprised that in this nostalgic little Italian restaurant it was very soft and not al dente.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband walks by often and, finally, said, "let's go". Well, we are more than happy that we did. Really wonderful food, cocktails and wine. Although decor somewhat traditional, very sell maintained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CarlosVIPDined on 10/3/2014It's always a perfect choice. The home made pasta is great and desserts are awesome Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DEGREZIAprettygoodforatightendVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is a fun place to go. You go down the stairs from street level and are greeted by the distinct smells of an Italian restaurant. The people there were a mixture of local regulars and visitors to the city. Some showed up in suits and some in jeans. I had veal scallopini which was excellent and finished with cheesecake for dessert. They serve a chianti red by the glass that is among the best I have tasted. If I lived in the city, I would be a regular.Special Features:
- Good Food - Good ServicetravelerVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is a small neighborhood restaurant that serves excellent food. My wife had the quail and I had the rabbit and both were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent veal MilanesejenjenDined on 9/20/2014Excellent veal Milanese, a bit overpriced, but would return for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAndresVIPDined on 9/18/2014Always consistently great food and service. One of the best Italian restaurants in Manhattan. Top quality fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeGrezia never fails to deliver !!ConversationalistDined on 9/15/2014You won't be disappointed & neither will your guests.Special Features:
- Superb atmosphere and foodArnoldVIPDined on 9/15/2014This is a gem in the heart of Manhattan. Great Italian cuisine with particularly good serviceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!MMcKinleyDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was recommended while we visited the city for our anniversary. The food was exceptional and couldn't have been better!Special Features:
- LMacOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Dined here Saturday night and couldn't be more pleased. It's truly a neighborhood gem: tucked away beneath street level, it has the perfect romantic atmosphere. Every course was exquisite: from appetizers to dessert. We asked the waiter for a specialized order of fresh mozzarella and proscuitto di parma and they complied without hesitation. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- First time experienceSC8451Dined on 9/3/2014DeGrezia was recommended by a friend for a business lunch. I arrived a little after Noon to find the restaurant completely empty, but my concerns faded as the front of house staff quickly & professionally made me feel like a "regular". My guests arrived shortly and the meal that followed was delightful, well-paced and delicious. We each tried one of the recommended specials (I had the Chilean Sea Bass and my guests both had the Lobster Ravioli) and we all agreed that they were very well prepared. Can't speak to the wine list unfortunately. I will definitely add DeGrezia to my list of business lunch options and will return for dinner on my next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentdon2Dined on 8/30/2014Everything about the dining experence was supburb !!!! Food was excellent - service was great - ambiance was exceptional. I would highly recommendSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Always exceptional service and excellent italian menu itemsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Degrezia is Delicious!Epicurean45VIPDined on 8/9/2014This is a beautiful restaurant tucked down a stairway on 50th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. The atmosphere is very romantic and the service is impeccable. My wife brought me here for my birthday as she knows how much I really enjoy the experience - and it is an experience, not just a dinner. She started with prosciutto de melon and I started with lobster ravioli. The lobster ravioli was bursting with lobster chunks and the cream sauce accompanying the dish was perfect. My wife said the prosciutto was delicious. She then had the duck special which she raved about. I had the chilean sea bass (also a special) which was wonderful. Flaky but flavorful, every bite was excellent. Simply fantastic and not to be missed!Special Features:
- Simply outstandingBobNCDined on 7/28/2014This was one of the top 10 meals of my life. Absolutely wonderful. I discovered it completely by accident while strolling down 50th St. one evening and dragged my family back. "Not another Italian restaurant! Please!" They were converts by the end of our Primi (don't pass these up . . . they'll cut them in half on request . . . I had Gnocchi al Gorgonzola). I'm still thinking about the Scaloppine alla Salvia. Do NOT miss this place if you are in Midtown Manhattan. My wife and I are already talking a weekend flight up just to go here.Special Features:
- The following 364 reviews are from the DEGREZIA RESTAURANT reviews archive.
- Charming and delicious!EpicureanVIPDined on 7/9/2014First off, it's a charming place. It's tucked away, under street level. It's quiet, quaint and warm and welcoming. Loved the ambience. The food was outstanding. Can't say enough about our meals. The balance of flavors was perfect, the portions were just right. The service started out fantastically, and then the restaurant got really busy. We needed more water and had to ask. Our waiter just stopped checking on us. This is the only part of the evening that disappointed us a bit. At a place as fine as this, you shouldn't have to ask to have water refilled. We also had to ask for our check at the end of our evening.
- It used to be betterkikiVIPDined on 7/8/2014Food, service are ok. They only listen to the maitre d'. He barges into a conversation to take orders because he is busy.
- great food but quietArchConservativeDined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent and the underground location is very appealing. The only issue was the lack of ambience or vibe. We went at 8:30pm on a Friday night and by 9pm were the only table. It's quite a big room too. Maybe get there earlier?Special Features:
- Friends Getting TogetherFriendsGettingTogetherDined on 6/24/2014What a find - I had asked some friends and they all said they had heard good things so I was anxious to go - what a fabulous meal. The waiter recommended seafood salad appetizer as well as the grilled octopus were probably the best I have ever had. We each had the stuffed quail as a main meal and that was fabulous, too. Drinks, a beautiful bottle of wine from a very good wine list and supurb attentive service. No rush - we ate, talked and enjoyed ourselves for almost 2-1/2 hours on a Tuesday night. Will definitely go back - it is pricey even for NY, but I wasn't paying much attention to our ordering or how much we were spending until I got the check; nothing you can't handle if you understand NYC, but not for the budget minded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem!LukeDined on 6/21/2014Service was outstanding. Food was exquisite and charming location and ambiance was idea and quiet enough to hear each other. A specific place where I felt I was in someone's home rather than a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderul Spot!BostonBobVIPDined on 6/14/2014A wonderful find in NYC. The service couldnt have been better, the food was authentic Italian, all around a great dining experience, can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELIGHTFUL!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2014went here for lunch based on Open Table reviews. while it was more expensive than I expected, it was absolutely fabulous - though the portion size was relatively small. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Red Sauce ItalianJohn55VIPDined on 5/17/2014The food is pretty typical red sauce Italian - service was ok - not overly friendly - the crowd is all old upper east side money - denizens from the way past but on the flip side it is a romantic settingSpecial Features:
- Great food at a reasonable priceGreatbbVIPDined on 5/17/2014We always eat one meal at this east side restaraunt and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceAnn1020Dined on 5/17/2014The food was fantastic, service was spectacular and genuine. I would highly recommend this to anyone searching for a quaint restaurant where you can actually carry on a conversation with your dinner party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ceases to amazeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/15/2014Rave reviews. One of my absolute favorites. Impeccable attention to detail. The staff makes you feel welcome like an old friend. BellisimoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/14/2014Looking for an Italian restaurant in the Midtown area to meet friends. First time for all of us and we thoroughly enjoyed out dinner. We were 15 min late for our reservation - traffic - but they sat us immediately. All enjoyed their meals. Veal medallions, sea bass special, lobster pasta - all delicious. Tiramisu good and cannoli both wonderful too. All the good reviews were well deserved. Will become a favorite of ours.Special Features:
- KeeperOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2014An excellent restaurant with great food and even better service. I felt so welcomed, it was like eating at a family member's home. You can't go wrong with the ravioli with mushroom or the fettuccine bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delectable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014Wonderful food, delightful service and warmth. Superb ambience. It was indeed a memorable dinner , more so because our guests truly appreciated it. A good find for future references.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014Made a same-day reservation on a Monday, and were graciously accommodated even though we were ten minutes late. The place looks special as you're walking up, so we were very excited as soon as we arrived. It added class to have a different person take your wine order than your food order, and we both enjoyed individual glasses of the house wines (chardonnay and cab, respectively). The three spreads with the different breads was great, though the tan one was bland. We shared the ravioli appetizer, which was unique and delicious - very savory mushrooms. The lobster pasta was to die for, with plenty of lobster. The foie gras filet mignon was the best we've ever had, albeit rich. The tiramisu was seriously amazing! Will return next trip to NYC!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Dining at De Grezia is always a treat. The ambiance is lively, the service is attentive while not annoying and the food always divine. What more could you askSpecial Features:
- TastyMarkVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner here for my family (I joined my in-law on a trip to New York) and they have very specific tastes. They wanted food that was savory but familiar, and using my Italian senses ( I'm 100% and tapped into my Sicilian roots) I decided that Degrezia was the way to go. The bread was nice (focaccia was excellent and the various spreads were a nice touch). My lobster pasta was delicious and my wife's ravioli (stuffed with mushrooms and covered in a white sauce with truffle oil) was delicious. Everything was well prepared, the staff was friendly and the setting was pleasant for my parents too. We enjoyed it! I would recommend this place, saying "Manga, Manga!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.