231 E 50th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.degreziaristorante.com/
- Phone: 2127505354x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Vincenzo Vigliotti
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Chef's Table, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from DEGREZIA RESTAURANT
Since 1987, DEGREZIA RESTAURANT has specialized in sumptuous portions of top-quality food cooked and prepared to perfection. An extensive wine list is available from very moderate to very expensive. Your hands-on proprietor, Joseph DeGrezia, insures your complete satisfaction.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
DEGREZIA RESTAURANT reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (31)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (27)fit for foodies (23)notable wine list (11)good for groups (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Degrezia is Delicious!Epicurean45Dined on 8/9/2014This is a beautiful restaurant tucked down a stairway on 50th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. The atmosphere is very romantic and the service is impeccable. My wife brought me here for my birthday as she knows how much I really enjoy the experience - and it is an experience, not just a dinner. She started with prosciutto de melon and I started with lobster ravioli. The lobster ravioli was bursting with lobster chunks and the cream sauce accompanying the dish was perfect. My wife said the prosciutto was delicious. She then had the duck special which she raved about. I had the chilean sea bass (also a special) which was wonderful. Flaky but flavorful, every bite was excellent. Simply fantastic and not to be missed!Special Features:
- Simply outstandingBobNCDined on 7/28/2014This was one of the top 10 meals of my life. Absolutely wonderful. I discovered it completely by accident while strolling down 50th St. one evening and dragged my family back. "Not another Italian restaurant! Please!" They were converts by the end of our Primi (don't pass these up . . . they'll cut them in half on request . . . I had Gnocchi al Gorgonzola). I'm still thinking about the Scaloppine alla Salvia. Do NOT miss this place if you are in Midtown Manhattan. My wife and I are already talking a weekend flight up just to go here.Special Features:
- Charming and delicious!EpicureanVIPDined on 7/9/2014First off, it's a charming place. It's tucked away, under street level. It's quiet, quaint and warm and welcoming. Loved the ambience. The food was outstanding. Can't say enough about our meals. The balance of flavors was perfect, the portions were just right. The service started out fantastically, and then the restaurant got really busy. We needed more water and had to ask. Our waiter just stopped checking on us. This is the only part of the evening that disappointed us a bit. At a place as fine as this, you shouldn't have to ask to have water refilled. We also had to ask for our check at the end of our evening.
- It used to be betterkikiVIPDined on 7/8/2014Food, service are ok. They only listen to the maitre d'. He barges into a conversation to take orders because he is busy.
- great food but quietArchConservativeDined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent and the underground location is very appealing. The only issue was the lack of ambience or vibe. We went at 8:30pm on a Friday night and by 9pm were the only table. It's quite a big room too. Maybe get there earlier?Special Features:
- Friends Getting TogetherFriendsGettingTogetherDined on 6/24/2014What a find - I had asked some friends and they all said they had heard good things so I was anxious to go - what a fabulous meal. The waiter recommended seafood salad appetizer as well as the grilled octopus were probably the best I have ever had. We each had the stuffed quail as a main meal and that was fabulous, too. Drinks, a beautiful bottle of wine from a very good wine list and supurb attentive service. No rush - we ate, talked and enjoyed ourselves for almost 2-1/2 hours on a Tuesday night. Will definitely go back - it is pricey even for NY, but I wasn't paying much attention to our ordering or how much we were spending until I got the check; nothing you can't handle if you understand NYC, but not for the budget minded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem!LukeDined on 6/21/2014Service was outstanding. Food was exquisite and charming location and ambiance was idea and quiet enough to hear each other. A specific place where I felt I was in someone's home rather than a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderul Spot!BostonBobVIPDined on 6/14/2014A wonderful find in NYC. The service couldnt have been better, the food was authentic Italian, all around a great dining experience, can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELIGHTFUL!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/28/2014went here for lunch based on Open Table reviews. while it was more expensive than I expected, it was absolutely fabulous - though the portion size was relatively small. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Red Sauce ItalianJohn55VIPDined on 5/17/2014The food is pretty typical red sauce Italian - service was ok - not overly friendly - the crowd is all old upper east side money - denizens from the way past but on the flip side it is a romantic settingSpecial Features:
- Great food at a reasonable priceGreatbbVIPDined on 5/17/2014We always eat one meal at this east side restaraunt and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Food & ServiceAnn1020Dined on 5/17/2014The food was fantastic, service was spectacular and genuine. I would highly recommend this to anyone searching for a quaint restaurant where you can actually carry on a conversation with your dinner party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ceases to amazeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/15/2014Rave reviews. One of my absolute favorites. Impeccable attention to detail. The staff makes you feel welcome like an old friend. BellisimoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/14/2014Looking for an Italian restaurant in the Midtown area to meet friends. First time for all of us and we thoroughly enjoyed out dinner. We were 15 min late for our reservation - traffic - but they sat us immediately. All enjoyed their meals. Veal medallions, sea bass special, lobster pasta - all delicious. Tiramisu good and cannoli both wonderful too. All the good reviews were well deserved. Will become a favorite of ours.Special Features:
- KeeperOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/14/2014An excellent restaurant with great food and even better service. I felt so welcomed, it was like eating at a family member's home. You can't go wrong with the ravioli with mushroom or the fettuccine bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delectable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2014Wonderful food, delightful service and warmth. Superb ambience. It was indeed a memorable dinner , more so because our guests truly appreciated it. A good find for future references.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2014Made a same-day reservation on a Monday, and were graciously accommodated even though we were ten minutes late. The place looks special as you're walking up, so we were very excited as soon as we arrived. It added class to have a different person take your wine order than your food order, and we both enjoyed individual glasses of the house wines (chardonnay and cab, respectively). The three spreads with the different breads was great, though the tan one was bland. We shared the ravioli appetizer, which was unique and delicious - very savory mushrooms. The lobster pasta was to die for, with plenty of lobster. The foie gras filet mignon was the best we've ever had, albeit rich. The tiramisu was seriously amazing! Will return next trip to NYC!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Dining at De Grezia is always a treat. The ambiance is lively, the service is attentive while not annoying and the food always divine. What more could you askSpecial Features:
- TastyMarkVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had dinner here for my family (I joined my in-law on a trip to New York) and they have very specific tastes. They wanted food that was savory but familiar, and using my Italian senses ( I'm 100% and tapped into my Sicilian roots) I decided that Degrezia was the way to go. The bread was nice (focaccia was excellent and the various spreads were a nice touch). My lobster pasta was delicious and my wife's ravioli (stuffed with mushrooms and covered in a white sauce with truffle oil) was delicious. Everything was well prepared, the staff was friendly and the setting was pleasant for my parents too. We enjoyed it! I would recommend this place, saying "Manga, Manga!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the DEGREZIA RESTAURANT reviews archive.
- RichRichGDined on 4/26/2014One of the best Italian restaurants we have experienced. Food and service was beyond excellent!Special Features:
- This is a lovely Italian restaurantKEENJVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is a lovely Italian restaurant, just below street level, reminiscent of a time when excellent service and civility were the norm. We had a large group and they accommodated us with a semi-private room. Everything about our dinner there was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experience for wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014been going to Degrazia for over 20 years and it never disappoints. round table for the six of us was perfect. everyone loved their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2014We can't wait to return. What a magnificent experience it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful DateBoogirlDined on 3/26/2014Re-found a favorite place for a nice intimate dinner. Great service and well prepared and presented Italian favorites.Special Features:
- Old world charmPedroDined on 3/25/2014It's a pleasure to find a mid-town restaurant where the service is genuine, the food is very good, and the tables are far enough apart to avoid putting your elbow in your neighbor's soup. Nothing flashy about the menu, but well prepared and served without a rush. An interesting wine list guided by a knowledgeable sommelier. Overall, a very pleasant evening, and I'll return again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quaint. Food is fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2014Very quaint. Food is fabulous. Nice quiet and cozy place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBreadWUZAmazingDined on 3/15/2014We love NY for all the smaller non chain restaurants. This one definitely did not disappoint. The food was great and the people were very nice. We enjoyed it greatly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceEverestDined on 3/11/2014I invited three guests from Japan the dinner, and enjoyed Oyster and crab cake so on, those taste were very fresh and good.Special Features:
- A Hidden Treasure!carolDined on 3/1/2014This restaurant is one of our favorites - the understated ambiance is traditional and elegant, the service is top-notch - but it's the food that makes me happy when I think of our many enjoyable evenings there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world diningBabsVIPDined on 2/28/2014So nice to have tables spaced far enough apart to have a conversation! Fresh flowers on the table,delicious butters and bread start the meal. Good choices on the Italian menu. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have gone here a number ofChillEDogDined on 2/10/2014Have gone here a number of times and enjoyed it. Wonderful little out-of-the way neighborhood place. This time I made a reservation for myself and three co-workers, and they have been around, restaurant-wise. They loved it. So, great food and service.Special Features:
- Very tasty, very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014I have been to DeGrezia before so I knew that I would not be disappointed. I went with a friend this time and we both enjoyed it. Great food, great wine, staff very attentive. Not noisy! Would go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Little Warmthouthere4uDined on 2/7/2014The indifferent receptionist/seater kind of set the mood. Waiters typical NY. Don't feel the warmth unless you are a regular here. Competent but perfunctory. In and out. Didn't feel like lingering, but the food was well prepared. Reasonably priced, especially for midtown Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceLCLDNRDined on 1/25/2014excellent food and service to match. They will make anything you ask for. The menu is optionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialTomBDined on 1/18/2014This review is based on the fact that the restaurant had a party of 50 in the main dining room and we were relegated to the "other" room." It was setup much too crowded. They were trying to have their cake and eat it to so to speak. There were too many tables and the entrance and coatroom were one in the same. Not a great evening. For the prices they charge I expected a lot more. And I don't mean apologizes.
- DelightfulrjajDined on 1/16/2014We went to DeGrazia the other night with a friend who is literally a world traveler. He wants to go to DeGrazia every time he's in NYC. Why? The food is excellent, they offer old European style service, the ambience is elegant, yet relaxed; you feel as if your in someone's home. We don't see our friend often; we spent over 3 hours "catching up". The staff never once made us feel we were taking to much time. They were as gracious as ever. DeGrazia is the kind of restaurant that New York needs more of. JAJSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the gnocchi!klyjenDined on 1/14/2014The food was great--had a salad and gnocchi that was quite good. Not giving full stars because the vegetarian options are pretty limited. The wine pours were generous. The service was good, but the restaurant removed and replaced the 4th chair at our table (we were a party of 3) a number of times, and that was just distracting. Also, we were seated in the middle of the room and I felt like we were constantly bumped as people went by. Next time I would request a table along the wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceChickFilet1Dined on 1/13/2014Veal medallions and ravioli were quite good even though the ravioli was a little heavy on the mushrooms. Staff was extremely attentive but not overboard. Ambiance is incredible and prices reasonable. Will definitely go again when opportunity arises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and CongenialLionheartDined on 1/8/2014Old School Italian with especially friendly and attentive staff. The Spinach-Stracchino salad is among the best salads I have ever had. Mushroom ravioli is outstanding as is the Tartufo desert. It's a place where you can relax, eat and talk with your partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underrated gemIraJayDined on 12/31/2013A great neighborhood spot, amazing menu, warm service, underrated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.