Deep Blue Bar and Grill
111 West 11th Street
Wilmington, DE 19801Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Deep Blue Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deepbluebarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 3027772040x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Bar Menu: Monday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Thursday - Friday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Patrick Bradley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Deep Blue offers catering through its sister restaurant's catering department,Toscana.
We will cater any size event. For more information call (302) 654-8877.
A word from Deep Blue Bar and Grill
Deep Blue, a contemporary American fish house specializes in creative preparations of fresh, high grade fish. Not strictly seafood, the menu also features excellent steaks and vegetarian options as well. The raw bar features exotic oysters from around the world. General Manager John Narvaez sets a sophisticated, welcoming tone for Deep Blue with friendly service and a nationally recognized wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Deep Blue Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Wilmington ›
Deep Blue Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (21)special occasion (13)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)romantic (6)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/1/2014Food, service and decor were all excellent. The only negative was that the menu was far smaller than what was on the web. In fact most of the vegetarian dishes (we had two people in our group that did not eat meat or fish) were no longer on the menu. However, the chef created 2 custom dishes for them based on their likes that they loved. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- AllanDined on 9/25/2014We had a very nice dinner at a reasonable price before going to a concert. Waiter was knew about The Food being served that evening and wines. He, Chris did a nice job.Special Features:
- What a great mealPurplebubbieVIPDined on 9/20/2014We came for the lobster special and it was delicious and well planned. Lovely chowder, "deconstructed lobster roll" and lobster tail. Hadn't been here in years and we will come back.Special Features:
- Girls' NightWilmingtonGirlDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful atmosphere for a girls night. Food was great and drinks were even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Seafood MealsBigguyVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had an interesting Lobster Saturday at Deep Blue Bar, hope they continue that ofr several more weekends. How about Lobster Thermador, Lobster Bisque, and Lobster Roll salad for a suggestion?Special Features:
- Tops for food and service downtownFormerDEDined on 8/5/2014Fish the best. Server Chris very good not busy this night so quiet. Good wine selection. 5 of us all enjoyed dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The Little Neck clams were very small and should not have been on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed qualityPegglerDined on 8/2/2014Dinner for two at the bar. Quiet night so we had plenty of time and space. Food high quality, and value for money. Quality well priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waiter way to friendlyKhartDined on 7/14/2014Waiter to friendly. Food descriptions sounded great but did not follow threw to table. All food lacked flavor and character. Nothing to write home about. Will not return. Very disappointed.
- The following 534 reviews are from the Deep Blue Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Really excellent cioppino!jtdeb3Dined on 6/24/2014I highly recommend the cioppino - a seafood stew. My wife thought the brownie dessert was the best she'd ever had. We were there late and had the place almost to ourselves. We liked the quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food with TableclothsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/21/2014We went to Deep Blue once, many years ago. It was not so memorable as to drag us away from Moro's or other old and new favorites, so there has been a long pause. During the pause, the management added tablecloths, but otherwise kept the school cafeteria ambiance. The food, not at all remembered from our earlier visit is now "when can we come back" good. The clam chowder is rich, generous in size and clams and the consistency of heavy cream, as it should be. The flash-fried calamari provided the only off note, perfectly golden but slightly chewy. The tuna was perfect and the lobster risotto suffered from too much lobster and not enough rice. A killer brownie capped off the evening, so rich that it should come with a warning label.Special Features:
- Great foodJspowellDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I went here on a Friday night with another couple. Our woman friend said this could be her favorite restaurant. Interestingly enough, she had the fillet. It's a superb seafood restaurant. We had a dozen oysters a piece. They are expensive but tasty. Next time because of the cost factor, we'll try to stick to the larger varieties. Some were just too tiny for $2.50 apiece. Our friends shared the seafood appetizer (clams, shrimp, oysters) and it looked delicious. The fish special was also wonderful. Salad greens were fresh. Martinis perfect. I can't understand why there weren't more people there but I guess it's because there wasn't anything going on in Wilmington that night.Special Features:
- Deep Blue Wilmington DeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/2/2014There are too many restaurants that have taken time and money to make their restaurants attractive to recommend this place. The food was very good, service was very good but the room was bland.
- Goog place to dineluv2dineDined on 5/31/2014This is a consistently good restaurant. Never disappointed. The surprise for us the last few times we have gone are the specialty cocktails. They are a little unusual and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient & goodDonneybrookDined on 5/31/2014If you are going downtown Wilmington for the theater or something like that, this is a very good choice. The food selection was very adequate and what a nice variety. The wine list had many choices and we lved the deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFirstClassVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went for for the Lobster Special on Saturday night. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014the crab cakes were amazing. I had a food allergy and the waiter was quick to find me a replacement. Very good the shrimp cocktail was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Great FoodNew2WilmingtonDined on 5/9/2014Food is delicious. I definitely will go back to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fishAvonguyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Most restaurants do most of their business on weekend when places can be uncomfortably crowded. This place in downtown Wilmington seems to be the opposite, with crowded weekdays and quiet weekends when the business crowd leaves town. We went on a Friday night, and it wa very quiet, but that allowed for great service, and the kitchen was not rushed. Our meal was superb, both apps and entrees, and no room for dessert. My wife felt the five spice tuna the best tuna dish ever, and crabcakes dynamite! Highly recommend this place for a great seafood dinner, and a wonderful dining and wine experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the specialsTravelingTrioDined on 4/25/2014The tuna special was fabulous. Fresh sushi grade tuna grilled perfectly. Basil mash had excellent flavor. Skip the dessert specials however. Meyer Lemon cheese cake with blackberries on a shortbread cookie crust. Cheesecake was a little dry, blackberries completely lost. They made no impact on the dish. Make certain the rolls are warm others they are dry and tough. But if freshly warmed they are delicious . Raw bar was great. Oyster variety adequate. Bake oysters with bechamel sauce are definitely a repeat. Cioppino has good flavor ,abundance of fresh seafood and variety;however broth/base was too thick and creamy, not your typical consistency for the dish.
- Downtown lunchJustjackVIPDined on 4/10/2014We actually drove from our workplace outside Wilmington for lunch, so we had to pay for parking. Restaurant week brought us there. The clam chowder was excellent, the wild salmon was a little overcooked. All in all worth the trip.Special Features:
- Baa!gtotoyDined on 4/5/2014Just a nice quiet spot with great ambience! I had the NY Strip special and must say it was just simply fantastic. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night Deep BlueHfamilyDined on 4/4/2014This restaurant has nose-dived. It used to be vibrant, clean with an extensive and interesting seafood menu. On our visit, it was smelly (as if the kitchen exhaust was not working), dingy, half empty and the menu was limited and uninteresting. Service was passable, although the staff were hardly pressed. The food itself was edible, nothing special. We shall not be visiting again, which is a pity as it used to serve quality food. Feels like it has been "dumbed down" and clothes smelt like we had been in a fish and chip shop upon exiting. Bar was noisy with TV - not my scene. Sorry Deep Blue.
- Reliably excellent seafood.kittykatDined on 3/29/2014When I/we go to Deep Blue we know the seafood will be fresh and well prepared. Wait staff are attentive and interact charmingly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow service but good foodlescatDined on 3/26/2014We had reservations at Deep Blue prior to a show at the DuPont Theatre. Unfortunately, we waited 35 minutes before getting our food. On a positive note, the food and drinks were very good. Definitely worth a trip back but not on a theatre night.Special Features:
- Pre theatre dinnerHome2theatreDined on 3/26/2014Dined at Deep Blue before going to DuPont Theatre 7:30 show. You need to be patient on theatre night because everyone is there to eat and leave at the same time. Server was rushed but I knew that going in. Better to have a 5:30 reservation or eat somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinner out before the TheatreTuesday2lunchDined on 3/26/2014Great location in Wilmington with a wonderful menu. Always a nice place for dinner. Excellent service made the evening also very nice.Special Features:
- Pre-theater ExcellenceNeilDined on 3/25/2014Located across the street from the Playhouse and has a pre-theater menu that assures a nice dinner and no rush to the theater. Focus is on seafood as would be expected. Nice wine list. Always reliable and consistent.Special Features:
- Lobster Night-two thumbs upPhillyPamDined on 3/22/2014We chose the three course lobster menu-which is a recurring theme, but different menu. This Saturday was particularly outstanding- The Lobster Bisque soup was delicious-full of bits of lobster. The second course of lobster strudel was an interesting take on the presentation, and equally fabulous. And to be frank, I could have stopped there and saved the main course for another day! The main course, the beautiful lobster tail presented on spinach and tomatoes and potato/cheese triangles, was perfect, too. I felt guilty eating so much good good at one sitting. Hubby and I don't usually agree 100% on a meal, but this one (and the last time we chose lobster nite at Deep Blue) we were both blown away by the menu.Special Features:
- Best meal out in a long time!chipDined on 3/22/2014We are food snobs, for sure. Don't eat out often because we are both good cooks. Hadn't been to Deep Blue in years and were positively thrilled with our meals! Will probably now be our go-to place before going to a show at the Grand … it was an easy and pleasant walk after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, attentive serviceCalivisitorDined on 3/17/2014Business trip to WIlmington...checked Yelp and found Deep Blue Bar & Grill. Ratings were solid, not amazing, so we tried it. The food was very good, and it was a Monday night, so a quiet atmosphere, not very crowded, and thus very attentive service. We had the calamari frito -- very light and tasty, and an arugula salad that was thankfully not overdressed and very fresh. Entrees included crab cakes -- loaded with crab, crab, crab; the tuna steak and the seared scallops. All entrees were done very well, and all were very tender, not overcooked. I would recommend it.
- While we have been here beforepcje4VIPDined on 2/22/2014While we have been here before we probably won't return. We only did on Saturday because we were going to a show and this was the only reservation available. The menu is limited and food ok, not great. Prices high for what you get. Much better places in the area. Book early if going to a show as they get filled up fast.
- Did the happy hour at 5 andRobjrDined on 2/21/2014Did the happy hour at 5 and had a good time staff was very attentive, transitioned to dinner and wait staff was excellent he made good recommendations meal came out quick and was very good. We always do this restaurant before going to see a play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Subpar ServiceFoodNationDined on 2/14/2014The food was great. Started with raw oysters, then ordered Scallops with a side of chorizo mashed potatoes and bacon brussel sprouts. All dishes were delicious and well prepared. The Service was another story. Waiter didn't come by much to check on us, forgot to bring us our drinks, and brought the wrong dish. He seemed very distracted. Hope he was just having an off day. I'm willing to go back one more time and hope that the service is better. If it is consistently like this, I would not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedFeliciaDined on 2/14/2014Overall I was pleasantly surprised. Nice ambiance although tables for 2 were very close together. The good was pretty good except for the crab stuffed mushrooms. They were small and burnt. Besides that the filet, crab cake and lobster were delicious. Good wine list. And excellent port wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the new theater menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/10/2014I go to Deep Blue a couple of times a year, usually for happy hour or with a group of friends before going to the theater. This time it was for a pre-theater dinner with friends. We really loved the updated theater menu. The food was fantastic and its a real bargain. Three courses for $35. Our waitress, Kim, was very friendly and accomodating and helped make our meal an enjoyable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/7/2014This was a better than average seafood place, but the wine list was nothing special, and the menu was uninspiring. But a well prepared piece of fish. I would go again.
- Good food, quiet nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/31/2014Probably a lot more vibrant mid week. Food very good, service very good. Cocktails exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deep Blue Never Disappoints!PJWelchDined on 1/25/2014We had a fabulous meal, as usual. Deep Blue has one of the best prix fixe menus we've ever sampled. Wine list is well researched and extensive. Each dish was a star in its own right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not so greatMCK1VIPDined on 1/23/2014The spinach salad was good but the scallops were gritty and did not taste very good. Server was friendly.