Decanter at St. Regis
923 16th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Decanter at St. Regis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.decanterdc.com/
- Phone: 2025098000x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Sebastien Rondier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Decanter at St. Regis
Distinctive. Delightful. Designed by renowned architect David Rockwell and the talented Rockwell Group, the restaurant highlights many of the original features including the landmarked ceiling and is set in a landscape of bold hues of black, silver, brown, cream and gold which intermingle with rich textures to create a lush, warm environment. The modern décor beautifully complements the newly restored St. Regis. Decanter features Mediterranean cuisine, inspired by Executive Chef Sébastien Rondier’s childhood and culinary beginnings in in France’s Basque country as well as the French Rivera. Masterfully utilizing the freshest seasonal ingredients from the best local suppliers, Chef Rondier has created culinary offerings which feature elegant cuisine in a playful manner complimented by a diverse wine collection. The menu features delectable dishes and flavors from the South of France, Spain, Turkey, and Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Decanter at St. Regis - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Decanter at St. Regis reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
notable wine list (20)romantic (19)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)neighborhood gem (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Awesome Food!CarolynVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great Food Quality. Great attention to detail. Superb Service. Nice Ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOmnivore28VIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant was beautiful, but every other aspect of our dinner was disappointing. The wait staff was inattentive and rude, the food was mediocre and served at the wrong temperature (everything--including even our white wine-- inexplicibly was at room temperature) and the menu was way overpriced ($21 for flatbread, really?!). I expected more from a St. Regis.
- Quiet and elegantLobbyistShawnVIPDined on 8/13/2014A colleague and I enjoyed a quiet lunch in the Restaurant's main dining room. Excellent service and beautiful, plush ambience - what one would expect from a St. Regis. The lunch menu was short and heavier on sandwiches and the like than I expected. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014A DC gem. Great food in a classic space. Wait staff attentive. Cozy bar too.Special Features:
- Quiet and ElegantPhilVIPDined on 8/7/2014Quiet restaurant within the St. Regis Hotel, meaning it is elegant all around. Wonderful service and excellent food. A real gem near the White House.Special Features:
- One of many great meals herePeterHuDined on 8/2/2014We often stay at the St. Regis, and have at least one meal at the hotel. It was not busy on a summer Saturday so was very quiet. There were three of us, each with a different entre, and all were great. They give you a few extra little mini courses which is a nice touch. Great wine selection. Impeccable service. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere, limited menuabracadabaVIPDined on 7/29/2014The space itself is very classy as one would expect from St Regis. But I was very disappointed by the very limited menu. Unless you enjoy fatty and heavy foods there really aren't suitable lunch options. I made do with a salad and had them hold the bacon and creamy dressing. Unfortunately I will not be returning.
- Just 'OK'Jav123Dined on 7/28/2014I wasn't overly impressed by the limited lunch menu. The service was oddly slow and the place was practically empty. Beautiful decor but everything else was just average for what you'd expect from the St Regis.
- SwankyAnthony1960VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food and cool surroundings, outstanding wine list.Special Features:
- Special OccasionoccasionalsplurgeDined on 7/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it was wonderful. We started with the flatbread then I had the flounder and he had the duck. The crunchy lemon meringue with the sorbet was amazing! I look forward to going back here some other time. It was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014It's the new restaurant at the St. Regis. Lovely space. It was very empty, so it was very quite. Food was great. Interesting choices. Great steak which surprised me. The wine list was a little on the expensive side.Special Features:
- ZeyadVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food delicious, Martini super, desert was grandmother Service polite and greatSpecial Features:
- Everything is Just OkExcellentVIPDined on 7/17/2014Atmosphere is ok, food is ok but not exceptional, service is ok but not outstanding, food way too expensive even for downtown DC--$5.00 for a glass of watered-down tea is just crazy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of Chef's only a positiveKB66Dined on 6/28/2014We had dinned in this restaurant twice when it was Adore. We loved the look and feel of the place and the same for the bar. Nice to have a drink before dinner if you like the old, traditional and clubby feel of the place. So we went back this past Saturday (6/28) for my wife's birthday to try the new menu/chef/name - Decanter. Bar has been updated to be a little brighter and less pure clubby. I like the changes. The restaurant décor has not changed which is fine with me. Food was great - new Chef has a terrific and creative menu. Mediterranean - very thoughtful and creative. My wife had the flounder poached in olive oil and I had the fish of the day preparation (fish of the day was rock fish) both were great.Special Features:
- Good spot for calm busines lunchJadedtravelistaVIPDined on 6/10/2014The food was fine, but not exciting, and the steaks were very expensive. the dining room is bright and open, and we were able to get round table for a very productive business meeting. Service was fine. All in all i recommend it for good location, decent service and nice dining room. The CLUB SANDWICH was the most uninspired sandwich i have ever eaten. I agree with others that you are paying for the location and not the food, which was not interesting at all.Special Features:
- AwesomeMasaDined on 6/3/2014I had a table for two and enjoyed the tasting with wine pairing menu. Great modern French-American cuisine and rare wine selection. The price was worth to pay, definitely.Special Features:
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/30/2014Business lunch. The ambience was elegant, the good quite delicious and the service formidable. Had one of the best burgers in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!love2usdayDined on 5/30/2014Went for lunch - appreciate that the restaurant actually reads the "notes" from OpenTable (I always list that I'm a "Pescatarian diner")! Service was pretty slow - it took quite some time for our order to be taken, and what was to be our appetizer came AFTER our entrees! They were very accomodating with splitting dishes to be shared between 2 of us by actually doing the sharing of them for us. FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! I mean incredible. From the lump crab wedge salad, the risotto, to the creme brulee. Just delicious.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I enjoyed our 1st year Anniversary at Decanter. It was a wonderful experience! and we were treated like royalty.Special Features:
- Too Pricey for My LikingFoodieFromAldieDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and two boys here for Mother's Day, they required a credit card to secure the reservation which was highly unusual. The penalty for a no-show is $89 per person although the pre-fixe mother's day brunch menu was only $75 per head. The brunch was very expensive for the food that was served, I settled for the crab bisque and poached flounder, presentation was superb, food was quite good. However, $75 for appetizer, entree and the dessert bar was pretty stiff, unlimited mimosas/bloody mary for adults and juice/soda for the kids so I just had more than one drink so that I can feel like I got my money's worth. Tab was $346 including tax and tip.Special Features:
- Food was good, but not great...WillVIPDined on 5/11/2014The decor, ambiance, and atmosphere are very nice. A very classy restaurant, wine bottles everywhere to be seen as part of the wall structure, overall very pretty. However, for the look of the place you would think the food quality would go right along, it does not. The food was good, but for what you pay you could do so much better somewhere else in DC! We went for Mother's day brunch, set menu, which had a nice selection. I had the bisque, a little too watery for my taste, and the NY Steak was good, but for this level of restaurant I want at minimum "memorable." The beet salad was very tasty, the flounder ok. The service was great, very attentive and friendly. Definitely not going back, can get better quality food elsewhere.Special Features:
- A gemSuburbanfoodieDined on 5/9/2014Was very pleasantly surprised by the delicious food both at dinner and next day lunch. Veg tagine and spring pea soup were dream inspiring, and the turkey club sandwich and lightest ever Caesar salad at lunch were soooo good! What a gem for guests at the St Regis. Will def come back! GreAt service...great.Special Features:
- The following 68 reviews are from the Decanter at St. Regis reviews archive.
- Great Service/FoodJPDBDined on 4/25/2014My wife and I really enjoyed the chef's tasting and wine pairing here. Service was great. Wish the booth seats were more comfy, the backs are not shaped to support lower back, which makes one sit oddly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for our AnniversaryMerBearDined on 4/24/2014I loved Adour, so I was sad when it closed but very pleasantly surprised when the St. Regis opened Decanter. The food is creative and fantastic. The frozen lemon souffle might be the best dessert I've ever had at a restaurant. One word of caution to gluten free diners - double check ingredients and discuss your allergies with your server, because one dish marked GF has bread (wheat flour-based) as a side.Special Features:
- great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2014Great Bar, nice dining room with excellent service. Had tasting menu, great value, but dessert not up to the rest of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable Service, as expected...JaySDined on 4/19/2014Decanter is the restaurant at the St. Regis hotel, and I've found that as with the service at the hotel, I can rely on the service and food at this chain to live up to it's reputation. Having eaten dinner and brunch at the restaurant, My wife and I couldn't have been happier with the menu, the preparation, or the service. I'm confident I'll be eating here again on my next visit to DCSpecial Features:
- Disappointing Food --Beautiful RoomMacarthurErinVIPDined on 4/16/2014I booked this birthday lunch and mentioned it was a special occasion in my reservation. Also mentioned it when we checked in. Sadly no recognition of the birthday occurred. My companion's hanger steak was tough but she enjoyed the sauce. My calamari sliders were served cold instead of hot and they came with no accompaniment. I would describe the food and service as mediocre at best. Such a shame in a really lovely and sophisticated setting.
- Elegant, aromatic, perfect.CathyDined on 4/12/2014First, the room is gorgeous….very comfortabe, very romantic, quiet….then the wine list comes and what a broad and excellent list! A pleasure to thumb through…service was immpecable and our server had suggestions for the dinner, all excellent. And then the dinner came….fabulous! Poached flounder, infused with porcini mushrooms and olives….I was in heaven! Every entree we ordered was perfect and each had a story related to the chef's mother…she was some influence on his cooking! The dessert , a pear and ginger cloufitis, was paired with a verbena ice cream delight….a perfect ending to a delicious dinner…oh, and do not forget the glass of Pieper Heidiseck with dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceDCSDinesOutDined on 4/10/2014Took a friend here after I'd raved about it so that she too could enjoy the lovely ambiance of the place -- the beautiful fireplace, which was still going, even though we're well into Spring (thank you!) and the painted wood ceilings (almost Damascene!). I was seated facing the wine cellar, which was also pleasing to the eye. The food itself was exquisite. We both started with the light watercress salad (perfect) and then had two different fish dishes, both delicious. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Accommodating but sterileDowntonDined on 4/4/2014The word "St. Regis" conjours up visions of elegance and opulence. Instead, what I encountered was a cafeteria-like motif with leather chairs, no table linen clothes, chrome and a feeling of eating in an lunch room. Everything was angular, cold and uninviting. There was not a shred of warmth in the interior design. The atmosphere was quiet, not elegant or opulent but very efficient and business-like. The wait staff, on the other hand, was phenomenal. The manager came over to wish us a happy anniversary. The food was excellent and delicious. It is too bad that they have to work in an environment better suited for an office cafeteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel gemTheodorVIPDined on 4/4/2014I wouldn't call Decanter a neighborhood gem but I will call it a hotel gem (it's at the St. Regis hotel). Based on my first experience dining at this restaurant I believe it deserves to be ranked on DC's top ten list. Food and service were both outstanding and they have an excellent wine list though a little slanted towards the more expensive bottles. On this particular night there were not very many people in the dining room but this restaurant clearly deserves more business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceThomasVIPDined on 3/27/2014Very quiet and romantic ambiance! Food is very good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and location!FoodisLifeVIPDined on 3/21/2014I never would have tried this hotel restaurant because I usually avoid hotel restaurants. But, I'm so glad I did. The food was fantastic and the service was really great. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive. The food came out quickly and I literally ate everything they put in front of me! Will definitely try this place again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adour LiteBillNVIPDined on 3/14/2014Decanter occupies essentially the same luxurious space as the much-missed Adour (the bar's been altered slightly), and offers the fine table and accomodating service one would expect at a St. Regis. We enjoyed our recent evening there, but must point out that the menu is both smaller and less adventuresome (not boring, mind you, just less creative) than before. On prior stays at the hotel, we felt we could have easily dined multiple times; now, there's less temptation for a back-to-back experience.Special Features:
- elegantPeterandHelenDined on 3/14/2014elegant and delightful for lunch. wish the menu was a bit larger, but the calamari sliders were quite nice. However, what to order the next time around if one wants something unusual. worth the walk through the lobby to get to the restaurant, lovely and elegant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decanter Uncorks its Bad HabitsLeoMVIPDined on 2/21/2014This was my second time visiting Decanter in less than a year. Our first experience was average but I did not want to judge too quickly off of one experience. My recent second visit, however, served to confirm my dislikes. In terms of service, it was average at best. The staff, though amiable, fell short of being attentive. After we were showed to our table, it took almost ten minutes to receive menus. Just receiving a glass of water had its own wait time. The food and great wine list (though may be overpriced for some brands) are what make this restaurant good. The flavor and presentation of the food is great but preparation also lacks the "WOW" factor. I asked for a medium rare skirt steak and received a well cooked piece of meat.Special Features:
- More Vegetarian OptionsAriMVIPDined on 2/20/2014My only regret is that there are very few vegetarian options on the menu. The ambience and five star service, though, are second to none.Special Features:
- Great serviceBrownieVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is a wonderful restaurant and I will definitely be going back to eat here again. Magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014They accommodated our request for window seat online. The atmosphere and restaurant was very classy. We loved their Malbec wine and veal porterhouse. Their staff seems top notch and our waitress was very attentive, pleasing and always had a smile.Special Features:
- Great experience, not enough foodMJaffeeDined on 2/14/2014The experience was great, but if I'm going to spend 300$ I would hope to leave full. If it wasn't for the plentiful amount of bread that I scarfed down, I would have still been hungry. Very great experience as far as quality of food, ambiance, and friendly staff.Special Features: