Decanter at St. Regis
923 16th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Decanter at St. Regis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.decanterdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 509-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Sebastien Rondier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Decanter at St. Regis
Distinctive. Delightful. Designed by renowned architect David Rockwell and the talented Rockwell Group, the restaurant highlights many of the original features including the landmarked ceiling and is set in a landscape of bold hues of black, silver, brown, cream and gold which intermingle with rich textures to create a lush, warm environment. The modern décor beautifully complements the newly restored St. Regis. Decanter features Mediterranean cuisine, inspired by Executive Chef Sébastien Rondier’s childhood and culinary beginnings in in France’s Basque country as well as the French Rivera. Masterfully utilizing the freshest seasonal ingredients from the best local suppliers, Chef Rondier has created culinary offerings which feature elegant cuisine in a playful manner complimented by a diverse wine collection. The menu features delectable dishes and flavors from the South of France, Spain, Turkey, and Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Decanter at St. Regis - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Decanter at St. Regis reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (27)romantic (20)fit for foodies (18)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (9)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Impeccable Service, as expected...JaySDined on 4/19/2014Decanter is the restaurant at the St. Regis hotel, and I've found that as with the service at the hotel, I can rely on the service and food at this chain to live up to it's reputation. Having eaten dinner and brunch at the restaurant, My wife and I couldn't have been happier with the menu, the preparation, or the service. I'm confident I'll be eating here again on my next visit to DCSpecial Features:
- Disappointing Food --Beautiful RoomMacarthurErinVIPDined on 4/16/2014I booked this birthday lunch and mentioned it was a special occasion in my reservation. Also mentioned it when we checked in. Sadly no recognition of the birthday occurred. My companion's hanger steak was tough but she enjoyed the sauce. My calamari sliders were served cold instead of hot and they came with no accompaniment. I would describe the food and service as mediocre at best. Such a shame in a really lovely and sophisticated setting.
- Elegant, aromatic, perfect.CathyDined on 4/12/2014First, the room is gorgeous….very comfortabe, very romantic, quiet….then the wine list comes and what a broad and excellent list! A pleasure to thumb through…service was immpecable and our server had suggestions for the dinner, all excellent. And then the dinner came….fabulous! Poached flounder, infused with porcini mushrooms and olives….I was in heaven! Every entree we ordered was perfect and each had a story related to the chef's mother…she was some influence on his cooking! The dessert , a pear and ginger cloufitis, was paired with a verbena ice cream delight….a perfect ending to a delicious dinner…oh, and do not forget the glass of Pieper Heidiseck with dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experienceDCSDinesOutDined on 4/10/2014Took a friend here after I'd raved about it so that she too could enjoy the lovely ambiance of the place -- the beautiful fireplace, which was still going, even though we're well into Spring (thank you!) and the painted wood ceilings (almost Damascene!). I was seated facing the wine cellar, which was also pleasing to the eye. The food itself was exquisite. We both started with the light watercress salad (perfect) and then had two different fish dishes, both delicious. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Accommodating but sterileDowntonDined on 4/4/2014The word "St. Regis" conjours up visions of elegance and opulence. Instead, what I encountered was a cafeteria-like motif with leather chairs, no table linen clothes, chrome and a feeling of eating in an lunch room. Everything was angular, cold and uninviting. There was not a shred of warmth in the interior design. The atmosphere was quiet, not elegant or opulent but very efficient and business-like. The wait staff, on the other hand, was phenomenal. The manager came over to wish us a happy anniversary. The food was excellent and delicious. It is too bad that they have to work in an environment better suited for an office cafeteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hotel gemTheodorVIPDined on 4/4/2014I wouldn't call Decanter a neighborhood gem but I will call it a hotel gem (it's at the St. Regis hotel). Based on my first experience dining at this restaurant I believe it deserves to be ranked on DC's top ten list. Food and service were both outstanding and they have an excellent wine list though a little slanted towards the more expensive bottles. On this particular night there were not very many people in the dining room but this restaurant clearly deserves more business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceThomasVIPDined on 3/27/2014Very quiet and romantic ambiance! Food is very good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and location!FoodisLifeVIPDined on 3/21/2014I never would have tried this hotel restaurant because I usually avoid hotel restaurants. But, I'm so glad I did. The food was fantastic and the service was really great. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive. The food came out quickly and I literally ate everything they put in front of me! Will definitely try this place again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adour LiteBillNVIPDined on 3/14/2014Decanter occupies essentially the same luxurious space as the much-missed Adour (the bar's been altered slightly), and offers the fine table and accomodating service one would expect at a St. Regis. We enjoyed our recent evening there, but must point out that the menu is both smaller and less adventuresome (not boring, mind you, just less creative) than before. On prior stays at the hotel, we felt we could have easily dined multiple times; now, there's less temptation for a back-to-back experience.Special Features:
- elegantPeterandHelenDined on 3/14/2014elegant and delightful for lunch. wish the menu was a bit larger, but the calamari sliders were quite nice. However, what to order the next time around if one wants something unusual. worth the walk through the lobby to get to the restaurant, lovely and elegant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decanter Uncorks its Bad HabitsLeoMVIPDined on 2/21/2014This was my second time visiting Decanter in less than a year. Our first experience was average but I did not want to judge too quickly off of one experience. My recent second visit, however, served to confirm my dislikes. In terms of service, it was average at best. The staff, though amiable, fell short of being attentive. After we were showed to our table, it took almost ten minutes to receive menus. Just receiving a glass of water had its own wait time. The food and great wine list (though may be overpriced for some brands) are what make this restaurant good. The flavor and presentation of the food is great but preparation also lacks the "WOW" factor. I asked for a medium rare skirt steak and received a well cooked piece of meat.Special Features:
- More Vegetarian OptionsAriMVIPDined on 2/20/2014My only regret is that there are very few vegetarian options on the menu. The ambience and five star service, though, are second to none.Special Features:
- Great serviceBrownieVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is a wonderful restaurant and I will definitely be going back to eat here again. Magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014They accommodated our request for window seat online. The atmosphere and restaurant was very classy. We loved their Malbec wine and veal porterhouse. Their staff seems top notch and our waitress was very attentive, pleasing and always had a smile.Special Features:
- Great experience, not enough foodMJaffeeDined on 2/14/2014The experience was great, but if I'm going to spend 300$ I would hope to leave full. If it wasn't for the plentiful amount of bread that I scarfed down, I would have still been hungry. Very great experience as far as quality of food, ambiance, and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Poor debut under new namelessimpressedDined on 2/14/2014One would think Valentines would be a perfect opportunity to showcase a new restaurant's appeal. Well, the opportunity was not ceased. I can't recommend Decanter in the midst of so many excellent restaurants in the area. It was clear 'food cost' was the establishment's priority. A fixed menu offered tenderloin or lobster as the main course. As someone who knows beef I can guarantee "Prime" grade was not served, nor was "Choice" or "Select". This was the lowest "Standard" grade cut in my opinion - tough zero marbling. I should have sent it back. Other food was decent and preparation was good. Portions were on the small side. Though the wine list was excellent and the dining room brilliant aside from the booth seating, we won't be returning.Special Features:
- Great for a romantic date!omgsohungryDined on 2/14/2014Went for Valentine's day, so there was a fixed menu. We got the wine pairing also, so in the end it was pretty darn expensive. But I knew what I was getting into when I made the reservation here. The service was EXCELLENT - staff were very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was was very good. No complaints, but it was not the best meal I have ever eaten, and considering what you pay you expect to be wowed. The ambiance was perfect for Valentine's - quiet and romantic, with rose petals spread on the table. Definitely a special occasion type of place for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experience!MSantosVIPDined on 2/8/2014First time coming here since the restaurant changed names and ownership. The service was awesome. My only disappointment was them not having the wine I selected. And bringing a substitute which they informed me of. But, I was of course still disappointed and while I recognize the best thing to do is offer a similar wine to the table. I had selected the 2000 Rioja Alta gran Reserva. The substitution although a 2000, and very good was not even a Reserva. My ribeye was cooked perfectly albeit it was a bit fatty for my preference. The Brussels were awesome and my boyfriend loved his lamb saddle it was moist and tender. He wouldn't share it was that awesome! I had the flatbread with pork belly also fantastic. Great coffee! Didn't have dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerCRNPMOMDined on 2/1/2014Unique food, elegant atmosphere. perfect for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $50 lunch without drinkstrulyVIPDined on 1/31/2014I'd only go again if it were on expense account. The salty bread and olive oil are delicious.
- I have eaten at Decanter abigeaterDined on 1/29/2014I have eaten at Decanter a number of times and have generally had a good experience. However, this most recent visit was a disappointment. The food -- my friend and I had the flounder -- was not very tasty and it was almost cold when it was served. It was also kind of wierd, with strange gnocchi and mushrooms on the side. I think the chef can do better.
- to my dismay it turned outelaheDined on 1/22/2014to my dismay it turned out to be just another hotel restuarant
- Very enjoyable experienceRickVIPDined on 1/18/2014A Saturday evening dinner for two was a very enjoyable experience. The food was exceptionally good; I had the featured pasta dish - a fruit de mar - and my wife had the flounder. Both were done to perfection. The service was prompt, professional and the server was quite knowledgeable. The setting and decor are sophisticated without being overdone and managed to still be comfortable. We will be repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, SLOOOOOW Service.BigEVIPDined on 1/13/2014The food was quite good,... however, it was perhaps the slowest service I have ever experienced in a DC restaurant. a 1215 lunch,.. no appetizers or dessert and we were not out of there until 2pm,... the food may bring me back but I will be a little more persnickety about who waits on us.Special Features:
- Extremely DisapointingKrist3VIPDined on 1/8/2014Service and Ambience were wonderful, the food however was less than satisfying. Will not return and most certainly would not recommend.
- Good ambience, but food not greatiluvs122VIPDined on 1/8/2014Went for a business lunch and was pleased by the ambience and service, but the food was mediocre and almost...not good.
- DisappointedIGBmoreDined on 1/1/2014Went on New Years Day and was overall disappointed with the food. The fish was tasty and flavorful but the lamb dish lacked any flavor. In my opinion, if you have to add salt and pepper to a dish in a fine dining restaurant its never a good sign. When we inquired about the different wine glasses offered on the menu we did not receive the type of responses we expected on the flavor and type of wines but we simply were told "Its a good wine". Good part...the dessert. It was delicious. I have found the staff is usually thin on New Years Day so maybe it was just a bad day to go to a nice restaurant.
- This was our 3rd time backHappy2dineVIPDined on 12/25/2013This was our 3rd time back since the change to Decanter, each time was terrific. We were thrilled to be able to go back at Christmas, everything we had on the menu was amazingly delicious, and we had a perfect meal. The staff was exceptional and gave us a fantastic Christmas experience. Best gift we gave to ourselves. We look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Classy hotel restaurantArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 12/25/2013Very good selections and just-right portions for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day fixed menus. Strong wine list. Not the most economical, but then again, it's at the St. Regis Hotel. Usually offers some interesting people watching of the all the fat cats. Pretty good cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Christmas Day menu wasPaulDined on 12/25/2013The Christmas Day menu was disappointing. Also, the staff didn't seem ready for such a busy day. Not much Holiday spirit around, either!Special Features:
- Nice place, food was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Nice place, food was good, but not grand - I had the veal prime rib, which ended up being, frankly, a little bland. The atmosphere is beautiful. Not a good place to take the kids, really, though my son's hamburger from the kid's menu was delicious! And, they were kind enough to make a grilled cheese for my particular little girl. For a romantic dinner, Decanter would be superb, to be sure. From the moment you walk in the St. Regis until the moment you leave, you are impressed with the architecture and decor.Special Features:
- Best homemade Ice CreamPattiVIPDined on 12/23/2013A very pretty restaurant. Service was great and food was delicious. Must really try the homemade ice cream, we had the chocolate and it was the best we ever had. We live near Hershey, PA and it beats out their ice cream. For the meal we had the pork belly flatbread and it was large enough for us to share and very tasty with lots of different flavors such as goat cheese and fig jelly.Special Features:
- Decanter at the St. RegisChrisVIPDined on 12/17/2013We had a very enjoyable dinner at the Decanter. For a hotel restaurant, I was impressed both with the quality and the reasonableness of the prices. The wine list is extensive, but focused on the high end. At hotel guests, we went because of the convenience. However, the experience was good enough to justify dining for non-hotel guests as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misses the markGastronommeVIPDined on 11/28/2013Urban chic in old DC grandeur just did not cut the mark. Food was decent and overpriced. Wine pairing came down to next to a rip off. You expect more from a restaurant located within a prestigious hotel. too many other quality choices within blocks.Special Features:
- Decanter: A Washington GemHarrisonDuckworthDined on 11/28/2013Decanter is a well-known gem that continually shines in the luster of its service, ambiance, and presentation. Although somewhat expensive compared to the "competition", the understood expectation of good food is always met. It's well worth the visit, whether to the bar for a drink, or the restaurant for a wonderful meal that is carefully set out for you course by course. Go.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/28/2013We went here for Thanksgiving. The food was great-my husband and I got the traditional turkey dinner which was not very adventurous, but was delicious. I would love to go back to try their regular menu. The service was outstanding. Everyone was so very polite and wished us a Happy Thanksgiving multiple times. They were attentive without being overbearing. The setting is beautiful. Elegant but not stuffy. I would highly recommend this place for a special occasion-it's worth the splurge.Special Features:
- We were in DC visiting forTWFOODIEVIPDined on 11/28/2013We were in DC visiting for the Thanksgiving and made a reservation with some expectation for this restaurant with a price tag of $85pp on Thanksgiving. My Corn & Italian Parmesan Cappuccino came with few very small pieces of chicken thigh immersed in an exceedingly plain taste soup. The Citrus Braised Atlantic Sea Bass served was lacking the workmanship with two bulky pieces in the plate without a trace of intended citrus flavor. My wife’s Roasted Amish Golden Turkey dish was a bit dry and quite ordinary. Finally, the fresh cranberry upside down cake looks the same as one can acquire from Trader Joe’s. We did enjoy the service but it was a disappointing experience overall as our expectation for food is high on Thanksgiving
- Great ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/28/2013Had Thanksgiving dinner here. Excellent. Best wine pairing I've had anywhere on earth. If I hadn't been so stuffed at the end of our meal, I'd have ordered it all over again and stayed another 2+ hours. Come, come often.Special Features:
- The luncheon experience wasBabesVIPDined on 11/15/2013The luncheon experience was a disappointment. The restaurant was not full and yet the service was sooooo slow. I had dinner there when it was still part of The Ritz and the service was great. I heard another customer walk to the waiter's station (beside my table) and told the waiter "I have been waiting for the check for a long time now." This is especially important if you have only an hour for lunch. I can understand if the restaurant is busy. But these long delays is unacceptable.Special Features:
- Good but you might leave hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/9/2013For a group of 6, we had a very cozy round booth table. The staff were attentive, partly because even though it was a Saturday night, the restaurant was very quiet. We tried the tasting menu, which is $75 each and everyone at the table has to do or no one can, which seems a bit inflexible, but OK. The food was very good - a Hamachi tuna appetizer with a very artful presentation, fancy corn chowder, halibut course, and then braised short rib, followed by dessert. However, the portions were really tiny! The fish and beef portions were both small cubes about 1.5 to 2 inches square, with very minimal accompaniments. So how much you enjoy the tasting menu experience may depend on how hungry you are! In sum, tasty but pricey and small.I would recommend this to a friend.