Decanter at St. Regis
923 16th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Decanter at St. Regis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.decanterdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 509-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Sebastien Rondier
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Decanter at St. Regis
Distinctive. Delightful. Designed by renowned architect David Rockwell and the talented Rockwell Group, the restaurant highlights many of the original features including the landmarked ceiling and is set in a landscape of bold hues of black, silver, brown, cream and gold which intermingle with rich textures to create a lush, warm environment. The modern décor beautifully complements the newly restored St. Regis. Decanter features Mediterranean cuisine, inspired by Executive Chef Sébastien Rondier’s childhood and culinary beginnings in in France’s Basque country as well as the French Rivera. Masterfully utilizing the freshest seasonal ingredients from the best local suppliers, Chef Rondier has created culinary offerings which feature elegant cuisine in a playful manner complimented by a diverse wine collection. The menu features delectable dishes and flavors from the South of France, Spain, Turkey, and Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Decanter at St. Regis - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Decanter at St. Regis reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (27)romantic (20)fit for foodies (18)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (9)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good Business Dinnermatt1859Dined on 11/4/2014Took a business client here and it was very good atmosphere service and food. It was a Tuesday night and very quiet (2 other tables) if I was there for a social meal I would have felt it lacked atmosphere - but for business was OK.Special Features:
- Delish Hotel DiningClifton12VIPDined on 11/4/2014Decanter has a very modern dining room tucked away behind a vibrant bar with a fireplace. I'm a sucker for the grand dame type hotels and St. Regis certainly is one of them. The uber modern decor belies the olde world menu with short notes by the chef paying homage to a relative for evoking the particular dish. The duck procietto was presented beautifully with a variety of condiments and a small basket of hearty country bread. Our dinner companions raved about the lamb shoulder while my rockfish special was fantastic. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his steak and all loved the ice creams. Would we return to Decanter? Definitely yes!Special Features:
- Only for a nice night outmandybabsVIPDined on 10/26/2014While the restaurant is quite lovely to look at, it is severely overpriced for the quality of food. I had brunch with friends and while it was tasty, it was nothing to write home about for a $20 eggs benedict. The more atrocious price crime was the sad tiny bottle of diet coke I was charged for $5. Coffee and tea was also $5. I had also gone Friday night for drinks - while a incredible wine/drink menu - again it's on the higher side ($15), so really special occasions only. The ambiance is much nicer in the evening.Special Features:
- disappointing foodchrissyDined on 10/23/2014I had the tasting menu. The elements were all pretty heavy-- a corn cream soup, a lamb with couscous, cake desert among others. The wine choices were all excellent, but I would have enjoyed some lighter fare for the $ 185. There was a loud and noisy group adjacent to the dining room; my waiter moved me to a quieter table. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/21/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday here and it was amazing. Food was outstanding, wine list was top-notch, and service was excellent. They suggested a wine we would have never even thought about and it was perfect. We loved the decor and though modern, it was quite lovely. We were there on a rainy Tuesday night, so the restaurant was quiet and not terribly busy. We will definitely visit again! Outstanding!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The place was elegant. Food was outstanding experience. Wonderful wait team. The bartender made great drinks mixed with warm conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st and Last Time thereUnobetDined on 10/14/2014My food was cold and the staff did not care... They also waited on another table that was seated after me and my party of 4.Special Features:
- Grand and elegant experienceFoodie2Dined on 9/30/2014This is a special place to dine and spend time with friends and colleagues. The service was grand, the food spectacular and the ambience special.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceFinediningDined on 9/26/2014The food is beautifully prepared. The poached Flounder was melt in your mouth exquisite. The restaurant has an exclusive private dining atmosphere. The wine list is one of the most extensive in dc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014We had a lovely meal in an attractive setting. Every dish we had was excellent.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/22/2014A beautiful, comfortable space and friendly service. But food choices are limited and food is mediocre.
- Not a Hot SpotCathJMoynVIPDined on 9/5/2014Delicious risotto, but strangely empty during lunchtime downtown (not in August).
- Hit the mark!AllAboutTownDined on 9/1/2014Six of us took a friend there for lunch for her birthday and it could not have been more perfect. The food and wine were wonderful. The service was a bit lacking when it came to attention (we had to ask for water after our glasses sat empty for a while, as well as the check) and it took a while for our food to get to us. This was a little surprising as there were only three other people in the restaurant at any given point. I would go back; just make sure you have plenty of time.Special Features:
- Yet to disappoint....SnazzyDinerDined on 8/27/2014My partner and I celebrated his birthday at Decanter this past week. We started with drinks in the newly remodeled St. Regis Bar. Drinks were on the pricy side I think $38 dollars with tip for two drinks but that was not unexpected and the drinks where well executed. We arrived early for our reservation but found no issue and were seated without delay. My lamb was spot on perfectly cooked and came pared with a spicy sausage which was great combination. Portions were proper and price was very reasonable. Staff was attentive but not intrusive and my water glass was always well filled. Dessert was a frozen lemon souffle. We were very pleased as we have been in the past with Decanter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food!CarolynVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great Food Quality. Great attention to detail. Superb Service. Nice Ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccablekluv2dineDined on 8/16/2014Everything was top-notch from beginning to end! We enjoyed our drinks lemon drop martinis and a virgin mojito too, they were excellent! Our food was to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmingOmnivore28VIPDined on 8/16/2014The restaurant was beautiful, but every other aspect of our dinner was disappointing. The wait staff was inattentive and rude, the food was mediocre and served at the wrong temperature (everything--including even our white wine-- inexplicibly was at room temperature) and the menu was way overpriced ($21 for flatbread, really?!). I expected more from a St. Regis.
- Quiet and elegantLobbyistShawnVIPDined on 8/13/2014A colleague and I enjoyed a quiet lunch in the Restaurant's main dining room. Excellent service and beautiful, plush ambience - what one would expect from a St. Regis. The lunch menu was short and heavier on sandwiches and the like than I expected. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014A DC gem. Great food in a classic space. Wait staff attentive. Cozy bar too.Special Features:
- Quiet and ElegantPhilVIPDined on 8/7/2014Quiet restaurant within the St. Regis Hotel, meaning it is elegant all around. Wonderful service and excellent food. A real gem near the White House.Special Features:
- One of many great meals herePeterHuDined on 8/2/2014We often stay at the St. Regis, and have at least one meal at the hotel. It was not busy on a summer Saturday so was very quiet. There were three of us, each with a different entre, and all were great. They give you a few extra little mini courses which is a nice touch. Great wine selection. Impeccable service. What's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely atmosphere, limited menuabracadabaVIPDined on 7/29/2014The space itself is very classy as one would expect from St Regis. But I was very disappointed by the very limited menu. Unless you enjoy fatty and heavy foods there really aren't suitable lunch options. I made do with a salad and had them hold the bacon and creamy dressing. Unfortunately I will not be returning.
- The following 84 reviews are from the Decanter at St. Regis reviews archive.
- Just 'OK'Jav123VIPDined on 7/28/2014I wasn't overly impressed by the limited lunch menu. The service was oddly slow and the place was practically empty. Beautiful decor but everything else was just average for what you'd expect from the St Regis.
- SwankyAnthony1960VIPDined on 7/23/2014Great food and cool surroundings, outstanding wine list.Special Features:
- Special OccasionoccasionalsplurgeDined on 7/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and it was wonderful. We started with the flatbread then I had the flounder and he had the duck. The crunchy lemon meringue with the sorbet was amazing! I look forward to going back here some other time. It was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014It's the new restaurant at the St. Regis. Lovely space. It was very empty, so it was very quite. Food was great. Interesting choices. Great steak which surprised me. The wine list was a little on the expensive side.Special Features:
- ZeyadVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food delicious, Martini super, desert was grandmother Service polite and greatSpecial Features:
- Everything is Just OkExcellentVIPDined on 7/17/2014Atmosphere is ok, food is ok but not exceptional, service is ok but not outstanding, food way too expensive even for downtown DC--$5.00 for a glass of watered-down tea is just crazy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of Chef's only a positiveKB66Dined on 6/28/2014We had dinned in this restaurant twice when it was Adore. We loved the look and feel of the place and the same for the bar. Nice to have a drink before dinner if you like the old, traditional and clubby feel of the place. So we went back this past Saturday (6/28) for my wife's birthday to try the new menu/chef/name - Decanter. Bar has been updated to be a little brighter and less pure clubby. I like the changes. The restaurant décor has not changed which is fine with me. Food was great - new Chef has a terrific and creative menu. Mediterranean - very thoughtful and creative. My wife had the flounder poached in olive oil and I had the fish of the day preparation (fish of the day was rock fish) both were great.Special Features:
- Good spot for calm busines lunchJadedtravelistaVIPDined on 6/10/2014The food was fine, but not exciting, and the steaks were very expensive. the dining room is bright and open, and we were able to get round table for a very productive business meeting. Service was fine. All in all i recommend it for good location, decent service and nice dining room. The CLUB SANDWICH was the most uninspired sandwich i have ever eaten. I agree with others that you are paying for the location and not the food, which was not interesting at all.Special Features:
- AwesomeMasaDined on 6/3/2014I had a table for two and enjoyed the tasting with wine pairing menu. Great modern French-American cuisine and rare wine selection. The price was worth to pay, definitely.Special Features:
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/30/2014Business lunch. The ambience was elegant, the good quite delicious and the service formidable. Had one of the best burgers in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!love2usdayVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went for lunch - appreciate that the restaurant actually reads the "notes" from OpenTable (I always list that I'm a "Pescatarian diner")! Service was pretty slow - it took quite some time for our order to be taken, and what was to be our appetizer came AFTER our entrees! They were very accomodating with splitting dishes to be shared between 2 of us by actually doing the sharing of them for us. FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! I mean incredible. From the lump crab wedge salad, the risotto, to the creme brulee. Just delicious.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014My wife and I enjoyed our 1st year Anniversary at Decanter. It was a wonderful experience! and we were treated like royalty.Special Features:
- Too Pricey for My LikingFoodieFromAldieDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and two boys here for Mother's Day, they required a credit card to secure the reservation which was highly unusual. The penalty for a no-show is $89 per person although the pre-fixe mother's day brunch menu was only $75 per head. The brunch was very expensive for the food that was served, I settled for the crab bisque and poached flounder, presentation was superb, food was quite good. However, $75 for appetizer, entree and the dessert bar was pretty stiff, unlimited mimosas/bloody mary for adults and juice/soda for the kids so I just had more than one drink so that I can feel like I got my money's worth. Tab was $346 including tax and tip.Special Features:
- Food was good, but not great...WillVIPDined on 5/11/2014The decor, ambiance, and atmosphere are very nice. A very classy restaurant, wine bottles everywhere to be seen as part of the wall structure, overall very pretty. However, for the look of the place you would think the food quality would go right along, it does not. The food was good, but for what you pay you could do so much better somewhere else in DC! We went for Mother's day brunch, set menu, which had a nice selection. I had the bisque, a little too watery for my taste, and the NY Steak was good, but for this level of restaurant I want at minimum "memorable." The beet salad was very tasty, the flounder ok. The service was great, very attentive and friendly. Definitely not going back, can get better quality food elsewhere.Special Features:
- A gemSuburbanfoodieDined on 5/9/2014Was very pleasantly surprised by the delicious food both at dinner and next day lunch. Veg tagine and spring pea soup were dream inspiring, and the turkey club sandwich and lightest ever Caesar salad at lunch were soooo good! What a gem for guests at the St Regis. Will def come back! GreAt service...great.Special Features:
- Great Service/FoodJPDBDined on 4/25/2014My wife and I really enjoyed the chef's tasting and wine pairing here. Service was great. Wish the booth seats were more comfy, the backs are not shaped to support lower back, which makes one sit oddly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for our AnniversaryMerBearDined on 4/24/2014I loved Adour, so I was sad when it closed but very pleasantly surprised when the St. Regis opened Decanter. The food is creative and fantastic. The frozen lemon souffle might be the best dessert I've ever had at a restaurant. One word of caution to gluten free diners - double check ingredients and discuss your allergies with your server, because one dish marked GF has bread (wheat flour-based) as a side.Special Features:
- great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/22/2014Great Bar, nice dining room with excellent service. Had tasting menu, great value, but dessert not up to the rest of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.