Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
1080 Darrington Dr
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deansseafoodgrill.com/
- Phone: 919-459-5875x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Bar: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm - 12am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Adam Jones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two different private dining rooms. The first, a more intimate dining room for up to 20 people. The second, a space that can accommodate 60 people for a seated dinner or 100 for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Private party menus and buffet options are available.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Morro 8888439931
A word from Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar is THE place to go for the freshest and most unique seafood creations. The core menu offers various sections including a raw bar, appetizers, specialty dishes, and "Food without Fins" for the land lovers. The focal point of the menu each week is an ever changing "Fresh Catch" section with six to eight different types of fish. With the menu changing weekly, we can ensure the freshest of seafood choices and exciting menu options when you come to visit. Whether you are looking for dinner in our comfortable dining room, drinks and appetizers in our friendly, laid back bar, or want to host a party/event in one of our group dining areas, Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar is the place for you. Bring the whole family, because we have something for everyone to enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)fit for foodies (103)neighborhood gem (73)great for brunch (69)great for outdoor dining (60)good for groups (50)romantic (47)kid-friendly (26)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014Food and service were good. I wouldn't recommend the Lobster stick app, though. Kind of bland and the lobster flavor doesn't come thru.Special Features:
- great place to converseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I've been here many times and I usually sit in the bar area at one of the booths. Its not too loud to have conversations and the food is always delicious and lots of adult beverages to choose from.Special Features:
- OverpricedsocrFreekDined on 9/27/2014Food was average. Pricing was outrageous. Shame on me for not asking what a 12 oyster appetizer cost, never would have dreamed 12 oysters would be $45!!!! I must have missed the gold flakes hidden in them!Special Features:
- Best fresh seafood in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014My husband is from the coast, so naturally I was a little hesitant to take him here for his birthday dinner. However, I had only heard good things so we gave it a shot. We both loved everything we ate! We highly recommend this place for anyone craving fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not "wowed"luvseafoodDined on 9/26/2014With a pricetag of $20 for most entrees, I would have expected more flavorful and generous portions. Those that ordered oysters in our party were disappointed. Exotic nature of the oysters origins were touted but the flavor did not rise to the occasion. Calamari and shrimp lacked flavor. We would think twice before a re-visit.Special Features:
- WilkAustinDined on 9/26/2014Good, not great, relative to the price. Truly nothing exceptional. Good Scottish salmon though.
- foodiegalDined on 9/26/2014The goat cheese grit cakes were fabulous! Need to add hootinany oysters to the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average JoeChrisDined on 9/26/2014They are not as good as they think they are. I thought there dishes were over priced. Service was very slow, and I am about 90% sure they gave us the wrong food. The fish that landed on my plate doesn't look like the pictures of that same fish I found on the internet. We questioned it, but they brought us back the same dish just from another person who said is was what we ordered. Great atmosphere, but don't think it was worth the price and I don't trust them.Special Features:
- OystoberfestFantasticVIPDined on 9/26/2014The menu description for the featured oysters was spot on for the taste to experience. Was like reading a wine list then making your selection on the description. Getting a t-shirt when I ordered two sets of oysters and two beers was an awesome surprise and added value. Great annual menu and looking forward to 2015 menu.Special Features:
- OystoberfestDFMesseeDined on 9/26/2014Interesting to try oysters from different parts of North America, side by side. It was expensive, though - $13 to $28 per HALF dozen. Service was great as always, the servers know a lot about the dishes and specials and are very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as always!catluvrDined on 9/22/2014The food and service was excellent and I highly recommend Deans to anyone who enjoys seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014The oysters were outstanding. Local beers pair well with the selection. An excellent meal, well prepared and served. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodtravelerDined on 9/13/2014I like that the menu changes and therefore you have new items to try. Staff was friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent MealErshar11Dined on 9/13/2014Love the jalapeño chevre grit cakes and the Scottish salmon were excellent. Everything was delicious and all 6 of us were very satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood for a birthdayJoeHDined on 9/11/2014Terrific seafood on a first visit to Dean's. Started with a half dozen oysters on the half shell, followed by entrees of grilled fish and scallops. Everything was perfectly prepared and we look forward to another visit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- much improved musicsasjrmDined on 9/7/2014after a mixed beginning, this venue now has a good fit of music with it's excellent food. much as the renowned greg gelb live music of its predecessor defined bogarts, the traditional blues music of deans pairs so well with its southern flavoured fare. with the end of papa mojo's still fresh it's nice to know that a blues brunch is avail in rtp area, much as with larger cities that feature bbkings or house of blues franchises. congrats on taking the brave stance & avoiding the too loud common pop music tripe found in nearly every single restaurant, espec those awful chains like Fridays, ruby tues, etcSpecial Features:
- Expected much more after reviewsdebstephDined on 9/5/2014Trip Advisor listed this restaurant as 4 1/2 stars. We were pretty misled. Unsure how long the restaurant has been open...they have a very interesting menu. We love seafood and were very excited about the different options and accompaniments. My husband's Wahoo was overcooked - which they ended up taking off our bill. We would have appreciated a visit from the Manager. We were interested in leaning about the wines on the menu. Only one wait-staff person could tell us about the wines and he was extremely busy - but did come visit our table. Unsure that my husband would ever allow us to go back for a second chance - but I think with proper management and staff training the restaurant has much more to offer than what we experienced.Special Features:
- Love Dean'standtheboysDined on 9/2/2014Was visiting Raleigh from Chicago and looking for a spot for a nice dinner with work colleagues. Found Dean's on Open Table and picked it becase we thought it was close to our hotel and it got great reviews. While the drive was a little longer than we thought it would be, it was absolutely worth it. Had a drink in the bar while waiting for the entire party and had a great experience. The bartender introduced himself with a handshake and had great suggestions. Equally great service in the dining room as our waiter was excellent - attentive with great suggestions, but not too pushy. Everyone loved our food, including appetizers, entrees and a ended with the fabulous bread pudding. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fresh SeafoodLuzNDined on 9/2/2014Dean's offers good,fresh seafood at reasonable prices. The service was fantastic! We would definitely condsider returning.Special Features:
- Always GreatDFMesseeDined on 8/31/2014The food is always good and I've found the waitstaff to be stellar. Went to Dean's 3 times this summer for the new seafood boil and would like it if they move it to the permanent menu. Otherwise I look forward to its return next summer!Special Features:
- Ual312Dined on 8/31/2014Went for the last Low Country Crab boil and was not disappointed!! As always the server was quite attentive and the food was plentiful and tasty.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningnikmoDined on 8/30/2014The server was attentive (but not too much so), the food came out in good time and was delicious. Overall a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerJeffandTCDined on 8/30/2014If you are in the mood for seafood, you have to try Dean's. Took my wife and mother-in-law and had a very welcoming reception by the hostess. We had great seats, the server was very attentive and took time to explain the menu. Our entrees looked great and the taste was equal to the appearance. We had the Creme Brulee for dessert, and it was the largest we had ever seen, could even feed 4-6 people. Great way to top off the dinner. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but overpricedDragonfly60VIPDined on 8/30/2014The seafood was tasty but it was overpriced and overrated unless we are paying to have it shipped to Cary. It is hard to judge food when both my husband and I are well traveled and also both are excellent cooks. But we are avid diners always looking for a neighborhood gem. Personally, I think that it is too much like Bonefish Restaurant and to have a few creative dishes that change would definitely break out of the typical seafood restaurant mold.
- Great experienceLoveragDined on 8/29/2014I enjoyed my first exoerience with Dean's and plan on coming back on my birthday. I went with the special and it was delicious. Not sure what happened but, my order did not print out and it was delayed. I was fine with it but the dish made up for it. Dessert was a treat! The creme bruleé was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out for DinnerHodgesBdayDined on 8/21/2014The food was very good our waiter was awesome the only thing wrong was the dessert. That banana pudding was a horrible disaster. It looked burnt and was not good at all. Besides that everything else was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodLovers18Dined on 8/19/2014Our waiter was the highlight -- so knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive, until we received our food. The food was so beautifully presented and tasted great. The creme brulee was so delicious, we cleaned the dish.
- Great Sunday Brunchjan0411Dined on 8/17/2014Went for Sunday Brunch (buffet) and really enjoyed it. Quality of food was very good (I'm always a little leery about buffet food but no worries here). They have egg, pancake and waffle stations where everything is made fresh to order with signature dishes of the day. Also have peel and eat shrimp, clams etc., breakfast items, lunch items and desserts. My favorite dish was the Cajun shrimp and grits. Will definitely be going back in the future. Service was excellent! Two waiters were assigned to our table and were on top of everything. They both were very friendly, polite and knowledgeable regarding the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service GoodvikbmartDined on 8/15/2014We had two different oysters, lobster mac n cheese, and wahoo fish with sides. Should have gone with chef's recommendation on fish preparation because opting for it as regular with side sauce was a bit bland. It was cooked perfectly. The lobster mac and cheese was great. Only downer was one oyster out of the dozen tasted "bad". Peach sangria is fantastic!Special Features:
- Excellent seafood!EddieDined on 8/14/2014This is an EXCELLENT place for good seafood! The ambiance is perfect for a quiet dinner setting in a soft light atmosphere with wood accent all around. The wait staff is EXTREMELY friendly and knowledgeable of the menu. Now to the food... one word.... AWESOME! The calamari appetizer was very tender and lightly battered. The fish tacos had just a slight kick, and if that's not enough heat for you, the table is stocked with 3 different hot sauces ranging from Texas Pete to habanero. And to end a great dinner.... Chocolate Sampler.... O----M----G!!! Bourbon truffle, peanut butter/chocolate cake, chocolate mousse and chocolate torte! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!Special Features:
- Great Selection Lcl & Glbl SeafoodFourSeafoodersDined on 8/14/2014Truly spectacular selection of fin and shell from nearby and other oceans, too. The presentation is gorgeous - only outdone by the flavor!Special Features:
- Seafood & Sauces Fresh & FantasticNjoyGoodFoodDined on 8/12/2014"The Girls" try restaurants 1 Tuesday a month. I do not write reviews, but Dean's Seafood & sauces & side dishes were wonderful. We started with appetizer BBQ shrimp skewers with Grits & the Crab dumplings with Mango Chili sauce. I had the Rainbow Trout stuffed with crab plus lemon butter sauce(with egg scallions and cream). Quinoa tabouli (with dates) & grilled asparagus. Later my husband raved over a full dinner leftovers. We shared dessert; chocolate assortment plate and the key lime with a blackberry sauce. Fantastic & leftovers. So pleased to have revisited since I they first opened; I be back for my birthday in a couple of weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fooddariaDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was very nice and the service was OK not exceptional, the quality of the food was OK not of 4 star qualityI would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Seafood4foodDined on 8/10/2014We had the Blue Crab Dumpling as a starter and they were good. Entrees were the Scottish Salmon and Prosciutto Wrapped Stuffed Trout and both were very good. The Jalapeno Grit Cakes side was really good. We will try again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An interesting nightwillreturnDined on 8/10/2014We had dinner there for my husband's birthday. There were a few issues that were taken care of immediately. At one point, something was missing from our order but was handled right away. Then the item they brought to us was still frozen, but again, it was handled right away without a problem. It sounds worse than it really is but what made the whole thing a non issue was the outstanding service we received from our server Hannah. She couldn't have been any nicer to us. She handled everything with such efficiency and grace that at no point were we ever upset over any of it. She even gave my husband a birthday dessert. Iwill come back because the food is delicious and creative. The problems were minor and the service is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014It was nice to finally find a great seafood restaurant whose main feature was not fried shrimp/oysters. Dean's had a great variety of selections and everything we tasted was outstanding. Service was also very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Great Date Night RestaurantDinner42Dined on 8/7/2014I was looking for a great new place to take my sweetheart to in Cary. We knew we wanted seafood. Dean's has some of the freshest seafood, excellent service and presentation. The style of the room was inviting, and it was romantic. Definitely a great experience and look forward to returning again and again.Special Features:
- Solid pickBethMbergDined on 8/7/2014I've taken clients here several times as well as gone here with my family. It is always a solid choice. Seafood is outstanding, servers and hosts are knowledgable and excited about the food, atmosphere is nice without being uncomfortable. Great job to the whole Dean's team.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Good but not great seafood which is hard to find in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed my Birthday brunchFoodieLoverDined on 8/3/2014Attended brunch on my birthday. Food was fresh, well displayed and the options were varied. Had a choice of breakfast items or dinner items. I choose dinner. Really enjoyed the fresh veggies, chicken, salmon, shrimp and grits and desserts. The staff was very attentive to our needs and to my surprise, provided a complimentary birthday dessert. Great place for families and work groups. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.