Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
1080 Darrington Dr
Cary, NC 27513Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.deansseafoodgrill.com/
- Phone: (919) 459-5875
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Bar: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5pm - 12am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch Buffet: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Adam Jones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two different private dining rooms. The first, a more intimate dining room for up to 20 people. The second, a space that can accommodate 60 people for a seated dinner or 100 for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Private party menus and buffet options are available.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Morro 8888439931
A word from Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar is THE place to go for the freshest and most unique seafood creations. The core menu offers various sections including a raw bar, appetizers, specialty dishes, and "Food without Fins" for the land lovers. The focal point of the menu each week is an ever changing "Fresh Catch" section with six to eight different types of fish. With the menu changing weekly, we can ensure the freshest of seafood choices and exciting menu options when you come to visit. Whether you are looking for dinner in our comfortable dining room, drinks and appetizers in our friendly, laid back bar, or want to host a party/event in one of our group dining areas, Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar is the place for you. Bring the whole family, because we have something for everyone to enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Cary ›
Dean's Seafood Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)special occasion (93)neighborhood gem (72)good for groups (48)romantic (45)great for outdoor dining (40)great for brunch (40)notable wine list (21)kid-friendly (20)great for lunch (16)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Needs a little work.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Overall, the atmosphere, food, and service were slightly below what the pricing (some $32 entrees) would normally require. Hope they can fix this. We would love to have an outstanding seafood restaurant in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great mealvikbmartDined on 11/13/2014Group of 4. Great service. Scallips were perfectly cooked. Love the grit cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service, but PriceyNCDiningDined on 11/12/2014We had a great birthday celebration for my wife at Dean's. All of the food was expertly prepared, fresh and well-presented. It is the best seafood that I have had in Cary. Because of the prices, we will definitely come back for special occasions, but not a typical family dinner out. The three of us had wine and an appetizer in addition to our main courses, and our cost was $115 plus tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ual312Dined on 11/9/2014I love the scallops here. This time I had them with the Harissa butter sauce...delicious!!Special Features:
- Great food/Great ServicevikbmartDined on 11/3/2014We had another great meal and excellent service. Management felt we had waited a tad too long for our entrees (wasn't that long in our opinion) and provided complementary sorbet which was very nice.Special Features:
- Special BrunchJanniesFavesDined on 11/2/2014Dean's was a pleasant surprise, offering quality brunch offerings as well as great seafood. Oysters on the half-shell? What a pleasant surprise. A bit upscale and yet excellent prices. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014This was my husband and my first time dining at this restaurant. We were celebrating our anniversary, and discovered that this was an excellent choice. Our appetizers and entrees were not only presented well on the plate, they were well-prepared and delicious. The server was very knowledgeable and took the time to explain the difference in oysters offered. She was very attentive without being overbearing, and she was friendly and accommodating. We will definitely return and bring our adult children, as well.Special Features:
- It was a happy birthday!DennisDined on 11/1/2014We took our adult daughter to dinner here to celebrate her birthday, and it was quite delightful. Prices were a bit higher than we expected, but the food was excellent. The corn & crab chowder was one of the best we have had, and each of our seafood dishes were excellent. Our server was quite good - attentive without being overbearing. Only negative was the unpleasant attitude the hostess displayed when we asked to be seated at a booth, instead of at the table for 6 that she originally showed the 3 of us. We really had to insist, which was a bit annoying, given that we had made a reservation, and asked for the same in advance (also there were several booths empty at the time, and no one waiting)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingmrulliDined on 10/30/2014Dean's is a can't miss restaurant if you are a seafood lover. The Blue Point Oysters were fantastic and the $5 drinks on Thursday were a welcomed surpriseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRAS28Dined on 10/26/2014My wife and I, and friends have been eating at Dean's brunch for about a year. Each time we were pleased with everything. Our last visit was in June. This time we were very disappointed with the brunch. In the past the fresh oysters were plump. This time they were very small and hardly worth the effort. We also missed having a nice beef dish and felt the seafood dish replaced by seafood pasta was a let down. The best thing we had was the pancake special for the day. It was delicious. We were also surprised by the increase in price. If I recall the price went from 18 to 23. So, we paid $5 more and felt the quality and offerings were inferior to previous visits. Very disappointed. Not sure when we will return.
- Always love Dean's!PeyJackDined on 10/25/2014Come here often and it never disappoints. Had the butter truffled sea bass and pistachio encrusted salmon - both were just delicious, and the service was great!Special Features:
- MaryAnnDined on 10/24/2014We were very disappointed. Have eaten there several times and food was always outstanding. Our last visit was not good. It was Oysterfest and the oysters were very, very small. Salmon did not taste good and the sides were bad. Went on a Friday night and the place was empty. Didn't use to be like that. It is expensive so I feel one deserves a good meal. Will not go back. Too many good places to eat in the Raleigh area to go back to somewhere not good.Special Features:
- Superb seafoodNorthernerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Impressive and varied menu with unique selections. Finest seafood anywhere. Fresh. Attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Friendlyjill4pceDined on 10/18/2014We went as a group of 4 and had a wonderful experience. One person ordered roasted brussel sprouts and they came out overcooked, but everyone else was very pleased with their meals. The chevre grit cakes were a BIG hit, as were the very interesting cocktails. The service was a little over the top, but they were very attentive and always refilled our waters before we were done, which is pretty rare considering how much I drink. The prices are pretty high, but if it's truly fresh seafood, I can't complain. It's just a place to reserve for special occasions.Special Features:
- diningoutDined on 10/18/2014everything was good except the salmon was well done. I would have liked a bigger salad.Special Features:
- Everything was delicious!Love2DineOutDined on 10/17/2014We chose this first time dining experience to celebrate our adult daughter's birthday. She loves oysters, so we started the evening with the Blue point -and the house oysters - steamed. They were very fresh and delicious! We followed with our entrees - from scallops to fried flounder to Scottish Salmon - everything was wonderful. We had key lime and banana bread pudding with white chocolate both by the same Chef as at the Twisted Fork. Both were to die for! Carter was our server and he was excellent - he kept our beverage glasses full, he knew the menu well and he made terrific recommendations. Chef Mike prepared good looking and good tasting dishes. Only not so good thing was the garlic French fries. They were greasy and soggy!Special Features:
- Great meal AGAIN!SunnyDined on 10/17/2014Dean's is one of my absolute favorite restaurants!! My husband and I consider it a gift, to have this restaurant so close to our home.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodRon0901VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have been to Dean's Seafood now 3 or 4 times and find the food and service consistently excellent. We also chose to eat outside on this visit, which was very pleasant. We went on a Monday evening, not even aware they have a Monday special wherein there is a fixed price menu consisting of a bottle of their house wine, soup or salad, and any entree for $45 per person. You can also upgrade to other wines on their list and upgrade to include an appetizer. We did both, trying a half dozen oysters on the half-shell and one of our favorite wines. Overall, the meal was excellent, although I found the lemmon-butter sauce accompaniment to my pan-seared scallps a bit too rich. As usual, service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Terrific RestaurantBobHDined on 10/13/2014Great dining experience. Service was terrific and the food was exceptional !Special Features:
- supercalifragilisticexpialidociousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We started w/crab dumpling crm cheese fried dumplings-just good & lobster bisque-v. good. Best sea scallops I've had in 56 yrs of living. I had it with grill brussel sprouts & the sweet potato corn succotash was delicious which had baby peas, onions $ asparagus. You can't go wrong with the Lobster Mac & Cheese, perfectly balance dish with lg chunks of lobster, creamy cheese not too heavy or thick, a hint of healthy with the touch of broccoli. I personally don't like banana bread or pudding but, tried my hubby's dessert of the white choc banana bread pudding and couldn't stop eating it. We also had the pumpkin cheesecake which we took half of this home as by that time I couldn't eat another bite. Service was informative on ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TomHDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I had a Caesar Salad with additional anchovies. It was not overwhelming - just right! Then we had the mussels, one with a cream sauce, my favorite, BUT I got the chipotle sauce. Maybe a new favorite? Suffice it to say that we cross-tasted and nothing was left:-)
- Not Impressed At AllBostonJimDined on 10/11/2014Wait staff was disorganized, food didn't make sense (Lobster with Mustard sauce???) And food came out cold when dining room was only 50% full ???
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Highly recommend the scallops! All of our food was amazing, very nice outdoor seating. Fantastic service. Will dine here again!Special Features:
- great place to celebrate a birthdayfoodieDined on 10/9/2014One had the pan seared NC rainbow trout, with the fingerling potatoes and the succotash. The other had the paella. Everything was great. Even the bread with the tomato/garlic spread was excellent. Our waiter was terrific and he even treated us to a birthday dessert. We chose the creme brulee, which was enough to feed 4. Yummy! We enjoyed the evening very much and can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- mediocre food and annoying waiterClarkDined on 10/5/2014Our waiter was like a parody of an annoying car salesman. When my friend ordered a glass of house wine he asked if she'd like to "step it up" (meaning order something more expensive). Real classy.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchBrianDined on 10/5/2014Not sure which made our meal better, the great food or the friendly, attentive service. We've been here 5-6 times and are never disappointed. We'll be back. You should go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!JenniBDined on 10/4/2014Food was fantastic, staff were friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful evening and everything was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoffeDined on 10/4/2014The food was fantastic and also the service. My wife and I will for sure make this our favorite restaurant. Good portions and prices.Special Features:
- LarryDined on 9/30/2014The resturant was very accommodating. We had a party of five celebratring my wife's birthday. Environment was very nice, just a little dark for pictures (smile). Brandon was our Waiter and he did an awesome job! The starters to the Entres were delicious. The only complaint is the roasted fingerling potatoes were a little over cooked (hard) and the initial order of crablegs were cold. But Brandon took care of the crableg situation, and the second batch were excellent.Special Features:
- Not So GreatOldmanDined on 9/29/2014I had a business dinner here. The restaurant and bar were both empty maybe a handful of people inside. Sat at the bar for a while and was impressed with the service and good beer. Went to the dining area and was greeted by our server with a tattoo on her neck and arms, thought I was at Lilllys pizza. The server was very knowledgable but proceeded to giving us her life story, remember this is a business dinner. The menu was confusing and had dipping sauces for fish. Ordered appetizer and dinner. Appetizer was so so and Dinner came out quickly but with cold sides. The fish was tasteless, thus the dipping sauces for sides also not so good. Overall it was not horrible but it was not great. Will not be going back.
- Birthday dinnerlovesfoodDined on 9/28/2014Food and service were good. I wouldn't recommend the Lobster stick app, though. Kind of bland and the lobster flavor doesn't come thru.Special Features:
- great place to converseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014I've been here many times and I usually sit in the bar area at one of the booths. Its not too loud to have conversations and the food is always delicious and lots of adult beverages to choose from.Special Features:
- OverpricedsocrFreekDined on 9/27/2014Food was average. Pricing was outrageous. Shame on me for not asking what a 12 oyster appetizer cost, never would have dreamed 12 oysters would be $45!!!! I must have missed the gold flakes hidden in them!Special Features:
- Best fresh seafood in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014My husband is from the coast, so naturally I was a little hesitant to take him here for his birthday dinner. However, I had only heard good things so we gave it a shot. We both loved everything we ate! We highly recommend this place for anyone craving fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not "wowed"luvseafoodDined on 9/26/2014With a pricetag of $20 for most entrees, I would have expected more flavorful and generous portions. Those that ordered oysters in our party were disappointed. Exotic nature of the oysters origins were touted but the flavor did not rise to the occasion. Calamari and shrimp lacked flavor. We would think twice before a re-visit.Special Features:
- WilkAustinVIPDined on 9/26/2014Good, not great, relative to the price. Truly nothing exceptional. Good Scottish salmon though.
- foodiegalDined on 9/26/2014The goat cheese grit cakes were fabulous! Need to add hootinany oysters to the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average JoeChrisDined on 9/26/2014They are not as good as they think they are. I thought there dishes were over priced. Service was very slow, and I am about 90% sure they gave us the wrong food. The fish that landed on my plate doesn't look like the pictures of that same fish I found on the internet. We questioned it, but they brought us back the same dish just from another person who said is was what we ordered. Great atmosphere, but don't think it was worth the price and I don't trust them.Special Features:
- OystoberfestFantasticVIPDined on 9/26/2014The menu description for the featured oysters was spot on for the taste to experience. Was like reading a wine list then making your selection on the description. Getting a t-shirt when I ordered two sets of oysters and two beers was an awesome surprise and added value. Great annual menu and looking forward to 2015 menu.Special Features:
- OystoberfestDFMesseeDined on 9/26/2014Interesting to try oysters from different parts of North America, side by side. It was expensive, though - $13 to $28 per HALF dozen. Service was great as always, the servers know a lot about the dishes and specials and are very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.