de Santos - Manhattan
139 West 10th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
de Santos - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://desantosnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122069229x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00 pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, International
- Executive Chef: Angel Vela
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties available for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 212-206-9229 x
- Entertainment: The De Santos musical program, created by in-house DJ and visiting DJs from LA, London, Mexico, Ibiza and other locations, scouts out a melange of melodies, ranging from lounge, shakin' swank, Latin flavors, bossa nova and world beats, setting the mood with an eclectic, international sound to compliment your dining experience. Then, as the night progresses, so will the volume as dance and house beats top off the evening.
A word from de Santos - Manhattan
De Santos is housed in a rustic but chic townhouse in the West Village where you can enjoy Traditional American, International and Mediterranean influenced cuisine from culinary genius Executive Chef Angel Vela. The dark wood and exposed brick dining areas are sexy and cozy. If you're lucky enough to get seated in the downstairs hidden jewel, the Janis, another ambiance will hit your senses as you dine with friends and family, breathing the same air as legends like Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan. This secluded speakeasy rock n' roll room is also used for VIP's and larger private parties. The wide marble topped bar is a great place for a cocktail but comfy enough to stay and indulge in a full meal. French doors open to a large outdoor patio with exposed brick archway and awning where, when dining by candlelight you'll feel transported to the Mediterranean. Wednesday through Saturday late hours there's mixed music and surprises. Only at De Santos. Welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Santos - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (21)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (14)special occasion (13)great for brunch (12)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Disaster BrunchChristianVIPDined on 10/19/2014It was a Sunday, and we were a party of 6, 2 of us visiting from Brazil so I was hoping to host to a nice brunch. Once we arrived, we were informed that most of the menu was unavailable, the reason was that Saturday was busy and they ran out of 50% of the menu. We started with Strawberry Bellinis doing their drinks for 2 hour special. After the first drink they said they ran out of strawberries. We got our food and they forgot our appetizers. I ordered yucca fries and was given sweet potato fries instead. After asking a few times I was told that there were no yucca fries. One of us wanted toast, nope no toast. Then we saw someone drinking a strawberry bellini (what they were out of). We were told that it must have been from an old pitcher.
- Too earlyElizabethRoseDined on 10/19/2014De santos does not really open for brunch until noon on the weekends. I made a reservation for 11 am through Open Table and the restaurant was not open yet. Most of the kitchen staff had not arrived. The tables were not all set. The ingredients for menu items had not yet arrived. Open Table should not allow reservations to be made at this restaurant until noon for weekend brunch. I usually love this place and love taking people there for brunch, but our experience was greatly damaged because we got there a full hour before the restaurant was prepared to serve brunch.Special Features:
- Losing touchTravelvrDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant used to be great. Went for dinner the other night, they were opening a new downstairs space (Barbossa), debuting a new chef, and extremely busy. That being said, the menu was bizarre, the service was non existent, and the food was weak. Clearly they're going through an adjustment period, but I'd hold off visiting until the reviews turn around.
- Great BrunchCarolineDined on 10/4/2014I have been here a couple times for brunch and dinner and I have always had a great time. They have a great brunch, with lots of different cocktails that are part of their pri-fixe bottomless brunch (bloody marys, mimosa, Bellinis, screwdrivers, etc). Also, the food is delicious. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a bottomless brunch with good food.Special Features:
- DisapppointedkellycgreeneVIPDined on 9/28/2014This was my second visit to De Santos and I was highly disappointed with the service. It took our waiter 20 minutes to even acknowledge us. Throughout the meal he wasn't very attentive. I will consider not returning after this experience.Special Features:
- Just okValFromParisVIPDined on 9/28/2014I was really curious to try this place based on the reviews. We came for brunch on Sunday and were a bit disappointed. I think the place became trendy and now has too many people. The service was not really good, had to call the waiters several time, they were not taking care of us, maybe too many customers but in that case they should hire more people. The food was just ok, several people ordered poached eggs, and they were ALL overcooked... I may try to come for dinner to see if the issue is only the sunday brunch. Too bad because the place is lovely.Special Features:
- De SantosOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Service on Saturday night was very poor, was disappointed in the quality of service we received. They dropped the check without us asking for the bill and just overall poor service.Special Features:
- Get a cluenyLFDined on 9/27/2014The wait staff were running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Service was very slow even though we were the only table. The waiter handed my mother her last soda with the bill after about 20 minutes. Men's room was out of order so I walked in on a man peeing with the stall open and door open so I locked the door while I used the rest room. After less than a minute there was an aggressive knock on the door so I unlocked it while I washed my hands; in walked another man who walked straight into the stall without closing it. Granted those patrons aren't the restaurants fault but nonetheless was not a great experience. No mention of the famous people who once lived in this space anywhere; such a waste.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, horrendous serviceKaitM8914Dined on 9/26/2014After being seated, we noticed dirty water glasses, we were not greeted by wait staff and when we were they mumbled So badly we could not hear him. Our appetizers came before our wine was brought and we had to remind them we ordered wine. Food was mediocre at best. Food was served without appropriate silverware on the table, i.e. Steak with no steak knives. In an attempt to salvage the experience we ordered dessert which after 25 minutes was still not there. We told them to cancel and being the check when someone came over and said there was a kitchen delay. Not even two minutes later our waiter told us he never put the dessert order in. Overall poorly organized with terrible help.
- FabulousnoodlesVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had a wonderful dining experience at de Santos. Impeccable service with a lovely waitress. Scrumptious food all around. Lovely, fun and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dance floor or Restaurant?toasVIPDined on 9/12/2014We showed up on a Friday night as a party of three. We loved the place but the music was far too loud. It was hard to have a conversion which includes talking to the waiter. The main courses were good (NY Strip Steak, Chicken, DeSantos Burger) and I loved the beet salad starter. For no extra cost my friend got the truffle fries with the burger and we got some extra truffle oil in addition. Great place but as mentioned before a lower noise level would be preferable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I was super excited to try another West Village al fresco dining venue. The atmosphere is very intriguing and romantic. However, our server brought us the wrong bottle of wine, messed up the timing of courses, and then put our complementary round of wines that were supposed to be "on the house" on the check. I also had to teach him what a pepper mill was. I hope they were just in the weeds and this doesn't happen often. Not sure if I'll be back for dinner. I'd give the bar another go! Garden seating is precious real estate in this city.Special Features:
- Nothing impressivejfoodhVIPDined on 9/11/2014Everything was satisfactory but nothing special about the food The outdoor dining is great thoughSpecial Features:
- hp0014Dined on 9/7/2014Much to noisy To crowded to energenic to long a wait time for a tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the most horrible dining experience2dineDined on 9/6/2014I have never been so disappointed about a place that I have been several times. The service was no existent. we had to order for a drink 4 times, for meat knives 3 times, for salt three times. The swordfish was inedible. There was a mistake in the check, when they came back, it was not our check. We notice that the serves were in a fight with two gentleman that might be the owners... Never going back or recommending it.
- below averagegnatp2Dined on 9/6/2014Server was unfriendly. We had the short ribs for appetizer, strip steak and pasta bolognese for dinner. Food looked nice on the plate, but didn't taste great. Also ordered a bottle of pinot grigio which came out quite warm. No point in going back for a bland experience.Special Features:
- Good for big brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014We had a great time but there was no AC on probably one of the hottest days of the year which made dining not as comfortable.Special Features:
- Won't return...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014The food was OK, but the service left something to be desired. The waitress took forever to get back to us each time. At the end, they ran my card 3 times, claiming that it was declined, but then the charge showed up on my statement 3 times. Then, they accidentally charged my bill to another guest in the restaurant by mistake. It was a mess and made the whole experience poor.
- nycdinerDined on 8/2/2014Ran out of mimosas for unlimited brunch, took over 30 minutes to get drinks. Espresso machine was broken and coffee took over an hour to get. After requesting basic things like salt and pepper we did not receive them. We complained to management and they gave us a discount, but it really put a damper on our brunch afternoon we had planned.
- Perfect!PolzeVIPDined on 7/31/2014It was perfect! Everything about this place was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great apps. Subpar strip steakmianVIPDined on 7/10/2014Popcorn shrimp and lobster max were wonderful. 4 out of 6 of us chose the strip steak and all agreed that it lacked taste. Perhaps salt. Unless you smothered in bernaise. Disappointed w the taste of the meat by itself. Rest of the apps however were wonderful. The place also were stocked out of the house Cabernet that we selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2014I live in the area and had always wanted to visit this spot. I had high expectations, as I do with most nice restaurants in the West Village. I was very disappointed. The service was absolutely horrible, we had to flag down the waiter to take our drink orders and then he immediately us if we were ready to order, and seemed aggravated that we weren't. It seemed like something was off, the wait staff was running around and completely uncoordinated, it made for an almost anxious ambiance. I ordered the lamb, which was recommended by the waiter. I could have made it at home. Nothing special or unique about it at all. Save yourself the trip and head to one of the other fabulous restaurants in the area!
- Great atmosphere, subpar servicemb0508Dined on 7/5/2014The ambiance of De Santos is great, and makes you want to stay awhile. However, I think the energy, attentiveness and kindness of the hostess and waiters could be improved. Good food - American with a Southern lean.Special Features:
- Perfect Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014I have to thank De Santos for a fantastic date night out with my husband. We went there using a Gilt City voucher, which we had no issue using. Our waiter was adorable and checked on us consistently. THe manager was gracious and took great care to ensure his customers' satisfaction. To start, we ordered the duck tacos and the tuna tartare. The duck tacos were delicious and packed with crispy yet tender duck. The tuna was chunky and served over avocado. For entrees we ordered the duck and the mussels. My husband loved the perfectly cooked duck. My mussels were in a rich, frothy white wine sauce with plum tomato halves that added a nice pop of flavor. The lava cake was divine. Our cocktails were made very well. Def a place we'd return.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerZoefoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Went here with a GILT voucher which was a great deal. The duck tacos and tuna tartar for appetizers were very tasty. The sword fish and steak for our main course was fantastic. The dulce de leche crepe for dessert was a perfect ending to the night. Cocktails were original and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticACatDined on 6/26/2014Beautiful space, incredibly good food, great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 456 reviews are from the de Santos - Manhattan reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Although De Santos is known for it's brunch menu, we came here for dinner and we're very impressed by the service/menu/ambiance. A great little restaurant for outside dining during the summertime. Very romantic for date night. The Beet Salad was probably one of the best salads i've ever had. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding and sitting outside was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Highly recommendedGuera84Dined on 6/20/2014Amazing food, best truffle macaroni and cheese ever! super nice servers! cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the OffieAffluentAdjacentDined on 6/17/2014Looking for a place for an office outing, we decided on de Santos after a coworker had been there previously. The restaurant, charming and only a stones throw away from the busy sections of the West Village, is on a quiet street and blends into the surrounding architecture seamlessly. The Food was amazing, starting with the appetizers ("popcorn" shrimp impeccable) through main course (swordfish and steak were fantastic). Our server was very polite and accommodating but also busy and sometimes missed little things (ex. taking new drink orders from some people at the table but missing others). Overall, it was a lovely evening for my team and the entire group left the perfectly lit restaurant with nothing but high praise for de Santos.Special Features:
- FantasticPhillynNYCDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I went on a recommendation and the entire experience was fantastic. Ambience...wait staff...and the food...All stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingMaggieVIPDined on 6/8/2014This is a hidden gem in the West Village. I've been there for brunch and now, dinner... and I'm still in awe. Really great value for the amount of delicious food.Special Features:
- Loud and obnoxiousUnlimitedLoudnessDined on 5/31/2014I appreciate an all you can drink brunch and have gone to plenty in NY, but this place does not have their act together. Our table of 7 had a 2pm reservation, but still did not sit down until 2:50. Just like the Seinfeld episode, they know how to take reservation, but they certainly don't know how to honor them. The place was a loud and obnoxious nightmare. We went for a fun and good time, but it was just overboard. Every table was giving their best Sex and the City impersonation. "The bar" always seems to be backed up. How pouring a bottle of champagne and orange juice on top of that takes 20 minutes we'll never know. I, along with everyone at my table, will definitely never go back and will tell all other brunch goers the same thing.Special Features:
- really disappointing serviceRyanVIPDined on 5/30/2014our server took 20 minutes to get our drinks. then, after taking our orders, she never returned to our table until after the food had been cleared. We would have ordered more drink and food, but she took so long that we lost our patience.
- BeaSocialDined on 5/30/2014The service was exceptional and was very attentive as always. However, I think using a Gilt City voucher caused the staff to have a couple of hiccups. I didn't appreciate that after confirming my Gilt voucher with the waiter twice, he still gave us the bill with the full amount at the end. I had to remind him and it was corrected. Also, I remembered that dessert was included in the deal, however when I asked the waiter, he said that he was 100% that dessert was not included. So I didn't get to savor my sweet tooth at the end of my meal :( De Santos is my favorite restaurant in the West village and these little things are upsetting because I really do love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere and good serviceKateDined on 5/25/2014Great place to have brunch with friends however the food was a bit of a let down this time. Steak wasn't rare as requested and over easy egg wasn't!! Would still go back though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014it was a perfect evening! The greeting, the service, the food--everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemCkbravoDined on 5/11/2014The brunch menu was delicious! Crepes filled with mushrooms, asparagus, goat cheese and spinach. Crab meat omelettes. Dolce de leche French toast. Etc. it was melt in you mouth good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelminglegourmandDined on 5/9/2014Food was moderate, steak had a fair amount of gristle on it. The two appetizers, the macaroni, and the popcorn shrimp were delicious. Our server seemed on his high horse, making another server get us bread after we asked for it 3 times (he offered bread initially). Cocktails sounded amazing but were underwhelming, not very alcoholic, and we ordered two different cocktails that tasted identical. The space was very nice and sitting outdoors in the back was much quieter than indoors. May go back again for a quick drink, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Not impressedPerfectVIPDined on 5/3/2014I was not impressed with this restaurant. The food was unappealing - the swordfish included a section that we needed to scrape off to the side that was not edible. Service was not attentive - when we brought this to the attention of the server, he essentially shrugged and made no offer to make it right.