de Santos - Manhattan
139 West 10th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
de Santos - Manhattan
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://desantosnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122069229x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 6:00 pm - 12:00am
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, International
- Executive Chef: Angel Vela
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties available for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 212-206-9229 x
- Entertainment: The De Santos musical program, created by in-house DJ and visiting DJs from LA, London, Mexico, Ibiza and other locations, scouts out a melange of melodies, ranging from lounge, shakin' swank, Latin flavors, bossa nova and world beats, setting the mood with an eclectic, international sound to compliment your dining experience. Then, as the night progresses, so will the volume as dance and house beats top off the evening.
A word from de Santos - Manhattan
De Santos is housed in a rustic but chic townhouse in the West Village where you can enjoy Traditional American, International and Mediterranean influenced cuisine from culinary genius Executive Chef Angel Vela. The dark wood and exposed brick dining areas are sexy and cozy. If you're lucky enough to get seated in the downstairs hidden jewel, the Janis, another ambiance will hit your senses as you dine with friends and family, breathing the same air as legends like Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan. This secluded speakeasy rock n' roll room is also used for VIP's and larger private parties. The wide marble topped bar is a great place for a cocktail but comfy enough to stay and indulge in a full meal. French doors open to a large outdoor patio with exposed brick archway and awning where, when dining by candlelight you'll feel transported to the Mediterranean. Wednesday through Saturday late hours there's mixed music and surprises. Only at De Santos. Welcome.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
de Santos - Manhattan reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (31)great for outdoor dining (30)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (18)special occasion (15)great for brunch (13)fit for foodies (12)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (10)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- nycdinerDined on 8/2/2014Ran out of mimosas for unlimited brunch, took over 30 minutes to get drinks. Espresso machine was broken and coffee took over an hour to get. After requesting basic things like salt and pepper we did not receive them. We complained to management and they gave us a discount, but it really put a damper on our brunch afternoon we had planned.
- Perfect!PolzeDined on 7/31/2014It was perfect! Everything about this place was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great apps. Subpar strip steakmianVIPDined on 7/10/2014Popcorn shrimp and lobster max were wonderful. 4 out of 6 of us chose the strip steak and all agreed that it lacked taste. Perhaps salt. Unless you smothered in bernaise. Disappointed w the taste of the meat by itself. Rest of the apps however were wonderful. The place also were stocked out of the house Cabernet that we selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2014I live in the area and had always wanted to visit this spot. I had high expectations, as I do with most nice restaurants in the West Village. I was very disappointed. The service was absolutely horrible, we had to flag down the waiter to take our drink orders and then he immediately us if we were ready to order, and seemed aggravated that we weren't. It seemed like something was off, the wait staff was running around and completely uncoordinated, it made for an almost anxious ambiance. I ordered the lamb, which was recommended by the waiter. I could have made it at home. Nothing special or unique about it at all. Save yourself the trip and head to one of the other fabulous restaurants in the area!
- Great atmosphere, subpar servicemb0508Dined on 7/5/2014The ambiance of De Santos is great, and makes you want to stay awhile. However, I think the energy, attentiveness and kindness of the hostess and waiters could be improved. Good food - American with a Southern lean.Special Features:
- Perfect Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014I have to thank De Santos for a fantastic date night out with my husband. We went there using a Gilt City voucher, which we had no issue using. Our waiter was adorable and checked on us consistently. THe manager was gracious and took great care to ensure his customers' satisfaction. To start, we ordered the duck tacos and the tuna tartare. The duck tacos were delicious and packed with crispy yet tender duck. The tuna was chunky and served over avocado. For entrees we ordered the duck and the mussels. My husband loved the perfectly cooked duck. My mussels were in a rich, frothy white wine sauce with plum tomato halves that added a nice pop of flavor. The lava cake was divine. Our cocktails were made very well. Def a place we'd return.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerZoefoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Went here with a GILT voucher which was a great deal. The duck tacos and tuna tartar for appetizers were very tasty. The sword fish and steak for our main course was fantastic. The dulce de leche crepe for dessert was a perfect ending to the night. Cocktails were original and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticACatDined on 6/26/2014Beautiful space, incredibly good food, great staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/21/2014Although De Santos is known for it's brunch menu, we came here for dinner and we're very impressed by the service/menu/ambiance. A great little restaurant for outside dining during the summertime. Very romantic for date night. The Beet Salad was probably one of the best salads i've ever had. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding and sitting outside was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Highly recommendedGuera84Dined on 6/20/2014Amazing food, best truffle macaroni and cheese ever! super nice servers! cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with the OffieAffluentAdjacentDined on 6/17/2014Looking for a place for an office outing, we decided on de Santos after a coworker had been there previously. The restaurant, charming and only a stones throw away from the busy sections of the West Village, is on a quiet street and blends into the surrounding architecture seamlessly. The Food was amazing, starting with the appetizers ("popcorn" shrimp impeccable) through main course (swordfish and steak were fantastic). Our server was very polite and accommodating but also busy and sometimes missed little things (ex. taking new drink orders from some people at the table but missing others). Overall, it was a lovely evening for my team and the entire group left the perfectly lit restaurant with nothing but high praise for de Santos.Special Features:
- FantasticPhillynNYCDined on 6/14/2014My wife and I went on a recommendation and the entire experience was fantastic. Ambience...wait staff...and the food...All stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is amazingMaggieVIPDined on 6/8/2014This is a hidden gem in the West Village. I've been there for brunch and now, dinner... and I'm still in awe. Really great value for the amount of delicious food.Special Features:
- Loud and obnoxiousUnlimitedLoudnessDined on 5/31/2014I appreciate an all you can drink brunch and have gone to plenty in NY, but this place does not have their act together. Our table of 7 had a 2pm reservation, but still did not sit down until 2:50. Just like the Seinfeld episode, they know how to take reservation, but they certainly don't know how to honor them. The place was a loud and obnoxious nightmare. We went for a fun and good time, but it was just overboard. Every table was giving their best Sex and the City impersonation. "The bar" always seems to be backed up. How pouring a bottle of champagne and orange juice on top of that takes 20 minutes we'll never know. I, along with everyone at my table, will definitely never go back and will tell all other brunch goers the same thing.Special Features:
- really disappointing serviceRyanVIPDined on 5/30/2014our server took 20 minutes to get our drinks. then, after taking our orders, she never returned to our table until after the food had been cleared. We would have ordered more drink and food, but she took so long that we lost our patience.
- BeaSocialDined on 5/30/2014The service was exceptional and was very attentive as always. However, I think using a Gilt City voucher caused the staff to have a couple of hiccups. I didn't appreciate that after confirming my Gilt voucher with the waiter twice, he still gave us the bill with the full amount at the end. I had to remind him and it was corrected. Also, I remembered that dessert was included in the deal, however when I asked the waiter, he said that he was 100% that dessert was not included. So I didn't get to savor my sweet tooth at the end of my meal :( De Santos is my favorite restaurant in the West village and these little things are upsetting because I really do love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere and good serviceKateDined on 5/25/2014Great place to have brunch with friends however the food was a bit of a let down this time. Steak wasn't rare as requested and over easy egg wasn't!! Would still go back though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014it was a perfect evening! The greeting, the service, the food--everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemCkbravoDined on 5/11/2014The brunch menu was delicious! Crepes filled with mushrooms, asparagus, goat cheese and spinach. Crab meat omelettes. Dolce de leche French toast. Etc. it was melt in you mouth good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelminglegourmandDined on 5/9/2014Food was moderate, steak had a fair amount of gristle on it. The two appetizers, the macaroni, and the popcorn shrimp were delicious. Our server seemed on his high horse, making another server get us bread after we asked for it 3 times (he offered bread initially). Cocktails sounded amazing but were underwhelming, not very alcoholic, and we ordered two different cocktails that tasted identical. The space was very nice and sitting outdoors in the back was much quieter than indoors. May go back again for a quick drink, but not for dinner.Special Features:
- Not impressedPerfectVIPDined on 5/3/2014I was not impressed with this restaurant. The food was unappealing - the swordfish included a section that we needed to scrape off to the side that was not edible. Service was not attentive - when we brought this to the attention of the server, he essentially shrugged and made no offer to make it right.
- The service killed the dinnerTorLHDined on 5/3/2014It took about 15 minutes from we were seated until the waiter found us still waiting at the table. After ordering cocktails it took another 20 minutes before they arrived. When the starters finally arrived more than an hour after being seated – thankfully – they tasted great. After the starters we were waiting again. And actually we waited so long that another waiter arrived asking if we wanted to order our desserts. Finally we had our main – and again – it tasted great. But they didn’t manage to serve the beer we ordered until we had finished. By that time we decided we needed to get out of there before they managed to destroy the whole of our evening. We left without having dessert.
- The following 441 reviews are from the de Santos - Manhattan reviews archive.
- ServiceFoodieDined on 4/26/2014Our server was inexperienced and tried to bring our cocktails appetizers and entre almost at the same time. We had a Gilt coupon and thought that might have been the issue. The manager came over at one point and apologized. Later on our waiter seemed to be getting a bit up to speed.Special Features:
- decent placeNiamhDined on 4/25/2014wasn't blown away by the food- pretty average stuff. the only weird thing was all our food (apps and entrees) came at the same time so we had too much on the table at one time. and my friends dinner was cold, when we asked to heat it up they brought her a brand new dish right away which was also cold and left me wondering if they just have the meals sitting around in the back. probably wouldn't return for food, maybe a pit stop for a drink if passing through west village.Special Features:
- standard good restaurant in nycLiveToEatDined on 4/21/2014Overall I had a good experience...The food was pretty good for the most part. The brussel sprouts side was over salted. My only actual and slight issue was with the service…. I have Celiac disease, and I felt that the waiter was annoyed by my asking if foods have gluten, since its not always obvious what restaurants may use bread crumbs in various dishes. I realize that there are probably a lot of 20-something girls who have decided to go diets for fad reasons like paleo or vegan. For whatever the reason someone has a food restriction, they shouldn't feel that they need to justify themselves by explaining their disease/condition to sound like it is a legitimate excuse for asking potentially "annoying" questions.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant but not flexible.WizakerDined on 4/21/2014The smells coming from the kitchen were amazing- the bar was decent and the food was in fact delicious. Nothing else was that great. We did the GiltCity coupon for 4 people. I know these things have stipulations and thats fine but I have food allergies and the restaurant was not terribly interested in allowing substitutions even if we paid extra. Not interested. So while we thought the place was cute, the lack of human perspective and the inability of the restaurant management to see a potential long term customer leads me to believe that we can probably find amazing food and drinks elsewhere. In a city where many bars and restaurants choose to use name brand and top shelf items in their cocktails- I was surprised at the well rack choices.
- Cute spotTrosta1Dined on 4/21/2014Great food. My organic chicken was delicious! Service was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingILOVEFOODVIPDined on 4/13/2014Depressing that they keep trying to push downstairs tables on people even when they have a reservation. Have had a couple bad experiences down there because they forget about you and the ambiance is awful...had to sit at the bar. will probably just stop going.
- Love this place!blue17Dined on 4/12/2014This is the 3rd dinner I have had there recently...and EVERYTHING was amazing and delicious. Went to catch up with an old friend and she was equally in love with this beautiful brownstone turned...delicious-ness. The basil crusted swordfish is the best. Looking forward to going back again. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Easy & UncomplicatedGlobalDinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014This restaurant is on a neighborhood street in Greenwich Village. It's easy, uncomplicated, unpretentious and come as you are kinda spot. We had a decent meal, nothing over the top, but enjoyable. Very nice cocktails. Service was attentive without being overbearing. I had the avocado & arugula salad and the pork chop, both were excellent. The dessert was awful though, we had a carmel creme brulee, and the custard had a terrible texture which was like eating warmed, lock jaw sweet glue, that had set out too long. With the exception of the dessert everything was good. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!tucker2Dined on 4/5/2014Went there with a dinner party of 8....the ambiance/food/service was amazing and it was much less expensive than I would have expected with such a large group!! I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambiance, average foodmsbnyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Not a bad experience. Our waiter was friendly and polite. Lively, young ambiance. The food was good not great. They played AWESOME music. The vibe is the best part about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDrPepDined on 4/3/2014Nestled amongst the various yuppie bars of West Village, this is a lovely restaurant despite the occasional braying salesman/banker. The food was excellent, the service very good. I'd go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair Food/Awful ServiceLynnNYCDined on 3/29/2014Service was awful - from the rude hostess, to the negligent server who forgot menus when requested, food items ordered and even at one point that he had taken our order, to the over attentive bus staff that cleared dishes, utensils and napkins during courses with little concern they were reaching around me and leaning over my dish as I ate. The food was mediocre. The arugula avocado salad was a sad excuse for a menu item. The mac and cheese would please only those who are happy just to eat mac and cheese. It lacked flavor and incredibly viscous and soupy. The pork entree came rare to medium rare from the kitchen. To be fair, after being sent back, it returned medium and was quite tasty. The chicken entree was also good.
- Fun brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2014I would recommend De Santos for brunch. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was fun.
- Great discovery!!AnabananaVIPDined on 3/25/2014This is a great room, dark wood, like a secret garden. Food was deli sh and service impeccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingBreezeVIPDined on 3/24/2014This place was slightly hard to find, as it looks like you're going up into an apartment building, but lo and behold, there's the restaurant door in the foyer. The inside was very charming, and while I didn't see the outdoor garden or downstairs, they seemed equally nice from picture. We ate their 2 signature dishes, the sea bass and pork chop. Both were excellent! The sea bass was very fresh and tasty, and the corn salsa that came with it was equally delicious. The pork chop was cooked perfectly, and was accompanied with some veggies and couscous. The cocktail list also looked wonderful, although the only one I tried was the De Santos, which I would recommend for tequila lovers. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- True GemltfoodieDined on 3/21/2014Really enjoyed the food & atmosphere. Everything was delicious. Best pork chop ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchDeliciousDined on 3/9/2014We had reservations for brunch and didn't get sat until an hour later. The waitress quickly told us that the kitchen was short staffed and it would be another hour for our food. During our wait they ran out of prosecco (it was an unlimited brunch), they also ran out of multiple things on the menu. The food was okay but I don't think if go back to this spot for food. The only highlight was the bartender was very quick to take care if you and never lost his cool with how busy it got.